Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Closed Thread

Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Excuse me. Did you forget to wash your hands?

You are in the restroom, and while washing your hands, and you see someone use the toilet/urinal then head directly to the exit without washing their hands.

What do you do?

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I walk out of the rest room where my DH is waiting for me. I tell him how disgusting it is to see someone use the facilities and not wash their hands....and frankly I wouldn't be speaking softly either

Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Are we on the ship or in port? I have been in many restrooms in ports where I was pretty sure touching the sink would make my hands dirtier than they were to start with and prefer to use the hand sanitizer in my bag after leaving the restroom. On the ship I always wash my hands -- at least there the faucets are usually automatic and it's easy to use paper towels to open the door on the way out.

Norwegian Epic -- Western Caribbean -- January 2015 (Baby's First Cruise!)

Norwegian Gem -- Bahamas and Florida -- May 2013
Caribbean Princess -- Southern Caribbean -- March 2013
Norwegian Dawn -- Bermuda -- June 2012 (Wedding Cruise Review)
Grand Princess -- Eastern Caribbean -- March 2012
Norwegian Dawn -- Bermuda -- July 2011
Norwegian Star -- Alaska -- May 2010
Norwegian Dawn -- Western Caribbean -- March 2010
Majesty of the Seas -- Bahamas -- June 2004

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Nothing, it is none of my business nor any of yours.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess November 2012
Caribbean Princess May 2010
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Caribbean Princess July 2006
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
20,000+ Club

Just make certain before you say anything that the stall they used wasn't equipped with a sink. Many accessible stalls have the sink, and I've had people make comments to me about not washing my hands. They are terribly embarrassed when I tell them that I did wash my hands in the sink in the stall.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug R. View Post
I disagree with you and I have a very different opinion.

Using the toilet and not washing your hands is the number one reason by a wide margin why the dreaded Norovirus is spread.

Noroviruses are the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans on cruise ships.

The viruses are transmitted by fecally contaminated food or water; by person-to-person contact and via aerosolization of the virus and subsequent contamination of surfaces.

It is sad that most people who observe the non-washing find it disgusting but lack the courage to speak out when they see it.

It most certainly is my business and I suggest that you should make it yours too.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

There was a sign in a port restroom: Do NOT Drink Water!
I didn't want to wash my hand in it either!

LuLu
~~~~

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Applause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra_Critic View Post
I disagree with you and I have a very different opinion.

Using the toilet and not washing your hands is the number one reason by a wide margin why the dreaded Norovirus is spread.

Noroviruses are the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans on cruise ships.

The viruses are transmitted by fecally contaminated food or water; by person-to-person contact and via aerosolization of the virus and subsequent contamination of surfaces.

It is sad that most people who observe the non-washing find it disgusting but lack the courage to speak out when they see it.

It most certainly is my business and I suggest that you should make it yours too.
Well said!

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlnblueberries View Post
I walk out of the rest room where my DH is waiting for me. I tell him how disgusting it is to see someone use the facilities and not wash their hands....and frankly I wouldn't be speaking softly either
Whether & what I say - and how loudly I say it - is directly proportional to the size & fitness of the accused

JB

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It IS my business when you're spreading your gems!

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Apathy is bad enough - trying to spread it is worse.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Just keep repeating that to yourself if you happen to pick up the Noro virus sometime.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I went to the movies once and while in the bathroom a lady came out and went right out of the bathroom. No washing her hands. I left just behind her. She was in the same theatre as I was. She went right to her seat and proceeded to eat popcorn with her friend. No hand sanitizer used. I was glad that it wasn't my popcorn she was sharing.
tigercat

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with Libra_Critic. Something so simple and quick is our business. It's a question of health for everyone.

10-12-2013 Jewel of the Seas
02-05-2012 Caribbean Princess
01-23-2011 Adventure of the Seas

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I will say, I have gone into stalls and not gone to the bathroom, just adjusted my bra or something. I would still probably flush the toilet and wash my hands, but, there was no need to. So many people don't wash, just because you see ONE, doesn't make much difference. FWIW, in my experience, men are much less likely to wash their hands and they are touching their flesh. When I pee, my hands only touch toilet paper, not flesh and not urine. YMMV!!

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:43 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureencruiser View Post
I will say, I have gone into stalls and not gone to the bathroom, just adjusted my bra or something. I would still probably flush the toilet and wash my hands, but, there was no need to. So many people don't wash, just because you see ONE, doesn't make much difference. FWIW, in my experience, men are much less likely to wash their hands and they are touching their flesh. When I pee, my hands only touch toilet paper, not flesh and not urine. YMMV!!
Do you spend time in the men's room?

Oh, but ONE can make a difference. It only takes one to start spreading the Noro virus.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
men are much less likely to wash their hands and they are touching their flesh. When I pee, my hands only touch toilet paper, not flesh and not urine.
Well that's ok then, because the will be no germs on any of the surfaces in the stalls including the Paper

Always reminds me of a Joke

A Solider and a Sailor are in the Head, While the Solider is washing his hands , the Sailor walk past toward the door. The Solider calls out, "Hey in the Army they teach us to wash after using the Head", to which the Sailor replies " Well Son in the Navy they teach us not to pee on our hands

James T. Kirk

My Ship Tour QM2 8th August 2013

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/scifisteve/library/

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I think there was a need to wash your hands. You may not have used the toilet, but you say you would probably flush it. What do you think the person before you used to flush the toilet? - her dirty hands. And what do you think she touched the door handle or latch with when she opened the door? Her dirty hands.

Who touched the toilet paper before you? Can you guarantee there were no "germs" on her hands?
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")

Last edited by celle; July 4th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:56 AM
10,000+ Club

Perception is everything.

Saw a hostess at a restaurant do this.
She said she was adjusting something and didn't need to wash her hands. Umm, OK but you did touch the latch that others touched before they washed their hands.
The Manager wasn't too interested in this either.

Old July 4th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland

You don't know what the person before did, or touched, so better safe than sorry. I always wash my hands, even though I just visited to adjust my dress or whatever.

Closed Thread