Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Closed Thread

Old June 7th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question "Free" cruise for timeshare presentation?

Has anyone ever taken a "Free" 7 day cruise for attending a timeshare presentation? I got the offer in the mail today while researching my next cruise. I'm in the "90 minutes of pain for a 7 day cruise is worth it" camp, while my DW would rather just write out a check.

Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Ski when the powder's deep,
Cruise when it melts,
Work like a dog to pay for it all.
Paradise - Feb 08
Fantasy - Jul 08 - family reunion trip
Valor 08 - Oct 08
Splendor - Aug 09
Legend - April 12
Legend - April 14

Ski when the powder is deep,
Cruise when it melts,
and work like a dog to afford it all.

Dave

Old June 7th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

A lot of those 'FREE"cruises usually cost money. In-laws recieved one. Fine print called for $79.00 per person . No big deal figured it was port taxes. sent it in with first and second requested dates. recieved a letter looking for more money. This was for a three day to nassau. By the time they were done could hace taked a four day cruise. So watch out for hidden fees

Old June 7th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, ours was supposed to be a 4 day cruise, but when we were done with the high pressure time share sales pitch we recieved a sheet about our "free cruise". First of all, there was no way to contact the travel agent by telephone or e-mail, only US mail. Within 30 days of the presentation, we were supposed to send a check for over $100 for port fees and taxes, along with dates we were available. Now, they didn't even give us a list of when the ships sailed, so I guess we were supposed to pick dates out of the air. They did, however, state that holiday sailings were not included (again, Christmas and Easter, or Memorial Day, etc.....??). Also, there was no guarantee whether we'd be on Carnival or Royal Carribean or ????? This is getting long, sorry. So, I wrote to them, asking which specific dates were available in the next year, and how much it would cost to add our 2 kids to the room. Surprise.......never a response. So, now I just throw any of that junk mail away. Learned my lesson.

Old June 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 90 minutes of pain

I went to one of those 90 minute timeshare things...........it was more like 3-4 hours!! First, they sent me directions to the wrong place, so by the time I found the correct meeting place I'd wasted 1 1/2 hours. Then, the 90 minutes refers to the actual physical tour of the property - and that's only after about 1 1/2 hours of high pressure sales pitch. THEN, if you say "no" after the tour, they lead you to another room for more high pressure sales from the supervisor! When all was said and done, the only thing we got "free" was the 3 nights at the hotel - and it was one I'd never have paid money to stay in!

"All of us do not have equal talents, but all of us should have equal opportunity to develp our talents." JFK

Fantasy to Bahamas - August 2000
Fascination to Western Caribbean - May 2001
Enchantment of the Seas to Western Caribbean - December 2002
Voyager of the Seas to Canada - June 2004
Sensation to Western Caribbean - December 2004
Victory to Western Caribbean - May 2005
Zenith to Bermuda - July 2006
Destiny to Southern Caribbean - May 2007
Golden Princess to Alaska - June 2009

Old June 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

I received one of these a few weeks ago. It was from Ramada Plaza Resorts Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale Vacations. It has a toll free number, a voucher for $1,600.00 towards the vacation package. It was for 3 nights accommodations in South Florida, round trip cruise aboard Carnival Or Imperial Majesty Cruise lines to Nassau and 2 nights in Orlando. It included 7 days transportation by alamo (economy car/unltd. mileage) during the vacation. It also stated that if I replied within 48 hours, I would also receive 3/2 Las Vegas & 4/3 Puerto Vallarta, MX. It stated that all expenses to get to and from FL would be our expense as well as any rental car taxes. We would have had to attend a 90 minute presentation about their vacation packages / resorts. I didn't respond though, so it expired. Actually, it didn't arrive in the mail in time for me to respond within 48 hours anyway.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

You get what you pay for. They are a rip off. The other night on one of the primetime news show they were talking about this subject.

I have been on one of these tours for a color t.v. I made sure the tv's were there for me to pick up before I wasted my time.
1-08--------Carnival Sensation--Bahamas
9-06--------Carnival Sensation--Bahamas
2-06--------Princess Coral--Panama
4-05--------Carnival Holiday-Western Caribbean
2-04--------Princess Sun---S. America
7-03--------RCCL Sovereign Of The Sea-Bahamas
2-03--------HAL Noordam----S. America
2-02--------Celebrity Summit-Panama
5-99--------Carnival Imagination-W. Caribbean

11-19-07 GRAND CAYMAN--THANKSGIVING WEEK--SUNSET HOUSE--LIFE IS SHORT--DIVE MORE

Old June 7th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Had one of those Ramada Inn guys call me, ask me if I would be taking a vacation in the next year I made the mistake of answering yes, and he and his company have called me so many times since it is not funny! the last time he called he got angry with me because I would not tell him how much my cruise was costing me and would not take my name off the list to be called. That called ended in him calling me a female dog!!! Not the first time, probably not the last.

Old June 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

My dad's co-worker and his wife went through this, maybe not the same company, though. They sat through the 3 1/2 hour talk and tour, were pressured, and asked for a deposit of $100 pp for their 5 day cruise out of Galveston.
They couldn't get the people to quit calling them, but once they paid up........... (insert crickets chirping here).

They were actually able to talk to a person a week before their cruise and she told them that their tickets would be waiting for them at the port the morning of the cruise. So, they were off, making the four hour drive to Galveston. And we all know what happened, no one from the cruise line knew anything about them or their tickets. They had to watch "their cruise" sail away without them. Once home, they called and the number had been disconnected.
So sad.

10-06-05 "Celebration Vacation" Land-based to Playa Del Carmen

9-11-05 CONQUEST

5-09-03 JUBILEE

Old June 7th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just recently went through all that mess to get a free cruise. We drove for an hour and a half and listened to their presentation. They gave us all our incentive stuff at the end -- no problem. We got three different incentives for listening to their spiel. So far, 2 of the 3 have not panned out.

The cruise was for a 7-day on Carnival and the promotion was throuGh Infinity Incentive Groups. We followed their directions to the letter -- sent in our initial request within their time frame and everything. Their initial paperwork said we would have 18 months to go on the cruise. What they didn't tell us was that we would have to pay for it IN FULL ($598) when we gave them our date preferences, and we only had 21 days to do that after they replied with the booking information. Well, we weren't prepared to fork out all that money so quickly, so we ended up missing the boat completely. It turns out I had all the money together about two weeks after their booking letter expired, so I called them and tried to get them to let us book, and they said flat no.

My future-DH said he would go through another presentation with me after he saw how upset I got when this one fell through, but I just don't think I could waste that much of my life again just to get a few $100 off a cruise. I would rather just write out the check, and at least then I would KNOW if I was on the ship or not. (With the incentive letters, they don't let you know if your booking is confirmed until about 30 days before the ship sails.)

The other incentives I got was $40 worth of gas -- followed the directions to the letter on that one too, and I have yet to hear a single word from the company. The third incentive was for two different 2-night hotel stays. We haven't tried to use that one yet, and I'm not sure if we will.

SeaEscape May 1987
Fantasy May 1991
Fascination May 1997
Celebration November 2000
Celebration September 2001 **Girls Only Cruise**
Inspiration December 2001
Jubilee November 2002
Celebration January 2003 **Little Girls Cruise**
Elation October 3, 2005 **Honeymoon Cruise** Pics
Ecstasy September 6, 2008 **I Got Platinum Early Cruise** Pics
Ecstasy July 2, 2010 **Hurricane Alex Cruise to Nowhere**
Carnival Triumph July 10, 2010 **Girl Scout Cruise**
Carnival Ecstasy August 12, 2010 **Katy Reunion Cruise**

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

A good place to check up on these crime share companies is thru ripoffreport.com. I know that they've had some bad reports about Ramada Vacations mentioned in an above post. A quick check in their search will save a lot of headaches. It's also good to check up on those infomercial products, make money for nothing schemes, etc.

Hope this may help.

Doug.

P.S. If it sounds too good to be true.... it probably is.
Grandeur of the Seas - 12/00 - Southern Caribbean
Disney Wonder - 12/01 - Bahamas
Millennium - 09/02 - Exotic Soutern Caribbean
Star Princess - 10/03 - Mexican Riviera
Legend of the Seas - 04/04 - Hawaii
Voyager of the Seas - 11/05 - Bermuda
Mariner of the Seas - 01/07 - Western Caribbean
Disney Magic - 01/08 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Triumph - 09/09 - Canada/New England
Carnival Elation - 02/11 - Western Caribbean
Norwegian Dawn - 08/11 - Bermuda
Carnival Dream - 02/15 - Western Caribbean

"I wanna go where it's warm!" -Jimmy Buffett

Old June 8th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

We also spend a long and pressure filled afternoon for our "free Vacation " which was a choice of 3 days/2 nights in Vegas or a 4 day cruise.We recieved our certificate and had to send $100 with our dates choises, there were many limitations, after 1 month we recieved a letter back stating none of our dates were available, and asked to pick 3 more, guess what? Not available either. We did get our $100 back..I would not waste my time ever again

2001 Imagination Wedding Cruise
2002 Galaxy
2003 Century
2005 Zuiderdam
2005 Legend
2006 Miracle

Old June 8th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiorcruise
Has anyone ever taken a "Free" 7 day cruise for attending a timeshare presentation? I got the offer in the mail today while researching my next cruise. I'm in the "90 minutes of pain for a 7 day cruise is worth it" camp, while my DW would rather just write out a check.

Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Ski when the powder's deep,
Cruise when it melts,
Work like a dog to pay for it all.

Dont do it!!!!!

If it sounds to good to be true it probably is!!!!!

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Also, warn your kids of these kind of schemes. My 18yod answered the phone yesterday & guy wanted to "give" her $500, all she had to do was "confirm" her account information. Thank goodness she thought better of it, but he could tell she was thinking about it so he kept calling back trying to pressure her. I guess he gave up after call #4.

Old June 10th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank you all.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I was hoping to hear at least one or two positive comments, then would have gone into it with open eyes. I have gotten a few good deals from similar presentations in the past.

PS The postcard has been torn up and thrown away.

Skiorcruise

Ski when the powder's deep
Cruise when it melts
Work like a dog inbetween to pay for it all
Paradise - Feb 08
Fantasy - Jul 08 - family reunion trip
Valor 08 - Oct 08
Splendor - Aug 09
Legend - April 12
Legend - April 14

Ski when the powder is deep,
Cruise when it melts,
and work like a dog to afford it all.

Dave

Old June 10th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiorcruise
PS The postcard has been torn up and thrown away.

YAY!!!

Closed Thread