Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old July 15th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Are you a laid back cruiser, or constantly on the go?

Last week there were a couple of shows on the Travel Channel that featured Mariner of the Seas when she was sailing in the Mexican Riviera in 2009 (we did this itinerary), and also another featuring a 5-day Caribbean cruise on Voyager of the Seas. I tivo'd both of them and we watched the other night.

One thing my husband and I noticed is how both of the featured families were on the go constantly. Now, we understand that these Travel Channel specials are basically infomercials for the cruise line, so of course they're going to show all the great things available for people of all ages.

And then there are people like us. Our excursions consist of hiring a cab at the port and taking us into town, and that's if we decide to get off the ship. We haven't done a pre-planned, excursion heavy cruise since our first one. We have been to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel twice, and that was booked online in advance. We like to go to trivia. I like to sit by the pool with my kindle, have a few drinks and people watch. I played bingo for the very first time on our last cruise on Carnival, and that was because we were literally sailing in a hurricane and it was too windy to enjoyably sit by the pool.

And it's not like we don't do things; we're just not into planning, we just plan as we go. This also includes dinners in specialty restaurants where we've just wandered up on the afternoon of the day we want to eat there and ask if they have anything available for that evening. And they always have. Same goes for massages. I always get an in-port special and have never had to book in advance. I will admit I like to lay in bed at night with my highlighter and go over the activities for the next day, but we typically don't schedule things.

RC Freedom of the Seas B2B, (Eastern and Western) 9/14, Carnival Dream "Hurricane Sandy!" (Eastern) 10/12, Carnival Dream (Western) 6/10, Carnival Destiny "Girl's Cruise" (Key West/Cozumel) 3/10,
RC Mariner of the Seas (Mexican Riviera) 7/09, RC Mariner of the Seas (Eastern) 6/08, RC Mariner of the Seas (Western) 6/07, RC Mariner of the Seas (Eastern) 6/06

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

depends on the ports and such. Oasis last year we did Bahamas, St thomas, and St Marteen. If there are more ports there is more we would do. We did Kayaking and Hiking so we could see more of St Thomas, and in St Marteen we did zip lining, and then went over to the beach where the airplanes come in, and had lunch.

Bermuda - on Grandeur, will be very laid back. All I want to do is go to the beach and lay out, go to the frog and onion bar on the way back, and then go to St George, other than that, we will be sleeping and eating.
Nordic Empress 05/99
Oasis of the Seas 7/2012
Grandeur of the Seas 7/2013
Vision of the seas 8/2014

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

It depends on the cruise. I'm not really into ship activities. I'm more interested in the ports. I usually get a balcony because I like to lay around and read or nap on sea days. Those are my kid's favorite days. They've usually memorized the ship the first day. I have twin sons that are 16 and they've been cruising since they were 6.

I find myself planning less as I cruise more. When we were in the Mediterranean we hired drivers right at the port. We did that at two ports in Italy and I'm convinced it was the way to go. We had a great time on the Amalfi coast with a little Italian man named Sal that spoke fluent English. His cab was rather old and hot but we had a great day. We did the same thing in Freeport in the Bahamas. It's usually half the price of a ship excursion and never crowded. I've never once worried about missing the ship.

On out last cruise it was raining the day we were in Cozumel so we stayed on the ship. I've already been there at least 4 times. There are some very beautiful beaches in Cozumel but the ship was peaceful that day.

Cruise History

RCCL Navigator of the Sea 12/2013
Carnival Triumph 6/1012
Carnival Conquest 7/2011
Norwegian Jade 8/2010
Carnival Ecstacy 6/2009
Norwegian Star 8/2008
Carnival Ecstacy 1/2008
Carnival Conquest 7/2007
Carnival Elation 1/2006
Disney Wonder 6/2004
Jubilee 7/2003

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

During our cruises, if I was any more laid back I'd be in the morgue. I do nothing!

Sitmar Fairsky 1983 ////// Celebrity Constellation 2013
Song of Norway 1985
SS Dolphin 1990
SS Norway 1992
Carnival Imagination 1997
Carnival Paradise 1999
Carnival Sensation 2000
Carnival Glory 2003
Mariner of the Seas 2004
Grandeur of the Seas 2006
Navigator of the Seas 2006
Sovereign of the Seas 2006
Brilliance of the Seas 2007
Norwegian Dawn 2007
Celebrity Century 2008
Celebrity Century 2008 (again)
Carnival Legend 2009
Carnival Inspiration 2009
Monarch of the Seas 2010
Monarch of the Seas 2011
Oasis of the Seas 2012
Celebrity Constellation 2012
Freedom of the Seas 2013

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Well...It's seems like your title and the body of your post are talking about different things. In general, we tend to be active, on-the-go type people. We're not big advance planners of what we'll be doing each day, though. If there's an excursion that we really want to do at a given port, we might book it in advance to be sure we don't miss out. But most times we sort of go with the flow.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM
5,000+ Club

DH likes to be "busy" and I like to be chilled out DH is happiest when we're touring and exploring. I'm happiest when I'm just chilling out on a beach Amazing that we've been very happily married for 43 years

Up Next? No cruises planned for a while, as we will be cruisin' down I-95 next year to our new retirement home in Florida

MEMORIES:
6/94 Sovereign OTS - E. Caribbean
12/99 Majesty OTS - S. Caribbean
12/01 Enchantment OTS - W. Caribbean
11/04 Jewel OTS - E. Caribbean
12/06 Brilliance OTS - Panama Canal
10/07 Enchantment OTS - W. Caribbean
7/08 Explorer OTS - NE/Canada
4/09 Monarch OTS - Bahamas
3/10 - Radiance OTS - MexRiv
10/10 - Carnival Pride - FL/Bahamas
10/11 - Liberty OTS - TA, BCN to FLL
2/13 - Celebrity Eclipse - 14 nt. Exotic Caribbean
8/13 - Grandeur OTS - 7-nt. Bermuda
3/14 - Serenade OTS - NOLA & W. Caribbean

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrowmindedness" - Mark Twain

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are fairly active, we generally book excursions prior to leaving and unless we have been somewhere many times (like Cozumel) we almost always plan ahead. We have excursions booked at every stop for our upcoming cruise with the exception of Cannes which will be a beach day (weather permitting).

Sea days we don't do much--eat, read, play trivia, sleep, eat and well eat some more.

So many different types of cruisers around, neither way is the wrong way to enjoy your vacation.
Jul '06 Brilliance of the Seas--Med/Greek Isles
Apr '07 Adventure of the Seas--Southern Carib
Jul '08 Jewel of the Seas--Baltics
Mar '09 Independence of the Seas--Belize/Mexico
May '11 Oasis of the Seas--Western Carib
Sep '11 Vision of the Seas--Holy Land
Feb '12 Celebrity Millennium--Western Carib
Jul '13 Adventure of the Seas--Italian Med
Jun. '14 Freedom of the Seas--Eastern Carib

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Love chilling x

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

We'll usually book an excursion, as we're pretty avid snorkelers and love to see new fish and marine life....other than that, we're very laid-back. I love the newly wed shows and the comedy shows, but that's about it. I'm considering doing the art auction at some point, but we're mostly there to relax, have a few drinks, read a few great books and people watch. I have a friend who signs up for seemingly every activity/project/seminar, and she comes home absolutely exhausted. To me, that doesn't sound like a vacation....but to each their own, and that's why cruises are so great; they cater to everyone!

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:56 PM
10,000+ Club

When I am on a cruise I am a laid back while on the go person.
Freedom of the Seas Oct. 2011
Majesty of the Seas Nov. 2011
Monarch of the Seas May 2012
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2012
Carnival Glory May 2013
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2013
Majesty of the Seas Sept. 2013
Carnival Pride March 2014
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2014
Carnival Breeze Sept. 2014

Link to my Allure of the Seas review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ighlight=eng23

Old July 15th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

In the Caribbean mostly go with the flow, depending on how we feel that day.
But in exotic cruises, port days are intensive, sea days we chill

Founding Member of the Internet Coalition to Stamp Out Whining

Nordic Empress, Bermuda 7/01, Radiance of the Seas, Alaska 6/02, Adventure of the Seas, S. Caribbean 5/03, Legend of the Seas, Hawaii 12/03, NCL Dawn, Bahamas 5/04, Serenade of the Seas, Panama Canal 4/05, Freedom Maiden Voyage, W.Caribbean 6/06, Brilliance of the Seas, Mediterranean 9/07, Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas 3/08, Oasis, Caribbean 1/2010, Brilliance, Nova Scotia 10/2010,Independence,Canary Islands, 1/2012Allure, Caribbean,4/2013

Old July 15th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

We're pretty relaxed on a cruise, sea days will find us mostly reading, people-watching, & just laying around, although I do use the gym for a few hours each day. We hardly ever do excursions anymore, if we do, it is usually something active liking biking or snorkeling. Our favorite thing to do is just explore on our own. I am perfectly happy just having a beach day!

We do very little advance planning, prefer to see what we feel like doing each day. We wait until the day we want to go to book a specialty restaurant and have never had a problem getting a reservation.

Sherri

Last edited by sjb317; July 15th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.

Old July 15th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are always in the go, we don't drink alcohol but we rarely sleep more than 6 hrs a day lol, crazy but we rather sleep in our houses

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Old July 15th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are in between. We will plan shore excursions either through the cruiseline or with a private company in advance as we are going on the cruise to see the ports we are stopping at. On sea days, we relax, sleep in and enjoy the ship.

Mary Anne

Carnival Carnivale - May 1980 (Bermuda), Celebrity Galaxy - August 2003 (E. Caribbean), Voyager of the Seas - July 2004 (W. Caribbean), Grandeur of the Seas - August 2006 (W. Caribbean), Explorer of the Seas - August 2007(Bermuda & E. Caribbean), Freedom of the Seas - August 2009 (W. Caribbean), Grandeur of the Seas - October 2009 (Bermuda), Radiance of the Seas - September 2010 (14 night Ultimate Alaska), Adventure of the Seas - January 2011 (Southern Caribbean), Serenade of the Seas - October 2011 (B2B - Southern Caribbean), Serenade of the Seas - May 2012 (12 night Mediteranean & Greek Isles), Enchantment of the Seas - September 2012 (Bermuda), Grandeur of the Seas - August & September 2013 (B2B -Bermuda and Canada & New England), Radiance of the Seas - June 2014 (Alaska), Navigator of the Seas - August 2014 (Honduras, Belize, Cozumel),

Old July 15th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We like to book excursions pre-cruise and enjoy the ports. Sea days we just hang, I read, DH does cryptograms. And, somewhere in all of those days we nap, see shows, eat and play the slots.
Cruising is definitely our favorite way to vacation.

Glitter Text Generator

Past Cruises
Dec 3 2012 RC Explorer of the Seas Eastern Carribbean
June 20 2010 Carnival Pride Bahamas
Sept 2 2009 RC Jewel of the Seas TA
Jan 2009 RC Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean
Sept 11 2008 RC Explorer of the Seas Canada
Jan 2008 RC Brilliance of the Seas Panama Canal
June 2 2007 RC Radiance of the Seas Alaska

Old July 15th, 2013, 06:51 PM
5,000+ Club

Hi all!

I like to go go go since my life is pretty relaxed. I do book shows & excursions ahead & try to make it to trivia, Bingo & shows for entertainment.
Great thing about cruising is you can do or spend as little or much as you want.

~ Jo ~

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I like to do whatever suits me at the particular time. Never pre-book excursions, guess I'm a wing-it type of person-

Sailed:
Grandeur of the Seas July 2007
Grandeur of the Seas June 2008
Serenade of the Seas April 2009
Grandeur of the Seas April 2010
Navigator of the Seas Feb 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas June 2011
Jewel of the Seas January 2012
Enchantment of the Seas May 2012
Grandeur of the Seas May 2013
Enchantment of the Seas Sept 2013

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

We might book an excursion or two (depending on the ports). Mostly we just wake up, check the weather and make a last minute decision how to spend the day. We will usually find something to do in the morning, relax all afternoon and half the evenings we will go to a show, the other half we just chill. Gosh that sounds like a great way to live all the time!

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:36 PM
30,000+ Club

I generally plan all our excusions and DH, tags along. It wouldn't do me any good to ask him what he would like to do because he would say I don't know, so he relies on my excellant planning to plan our days in Port. We however do enjoy our do nothing days and relax, walking around in port or whatever comes to mind.

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:38 PM
5,000+ Club

When we are in port, we always have an activity planned, usually a few When we are cruising, I always have ideas that I should go do a lot f ships activities, but somehow, we end up in the solarium or on the balcony
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2002049
Jewel (S.Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1951547
Allure (E.Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834584
Paul Gauguin (French Polynesia) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1729992
Galapagos Explorer 2 (Ecuador)photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1702506
Jewel (W. Caribbean) photo review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1582079
Oasis (E. Caribbean) photo review: