bringing alcohol on board

loserjp

We did a back-to-back where we changed ships. I'd purchased liquor in a couple of places the previous week, and had it handy to be checked when we embarked on our second cruise. The security guy just told me to carry my liquor on board.

Normally, though, I buy it from the ship since it's cheaper and it saves me lugging it all the way from home.

There will be duty-free liquor available in one of the shops, but you can't take it to the cabin. You can purchase full bottles at one or two of the bars (just ask, they'll direct you) or from room service, and yes, they cost more.

No, just carry it on in plain sight. Princess doesn't care.

Princess' guidelines on bringing alcohol on board are stated in the FAQs section of Princess' website as "We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage."

So it's OK to disregard the guidelines on alcohol, but not on dress code (as you've stated in other posts). In the future, if we need guidance on which guidelines we should or shouldn't follow, we should consult with you.

Princess' guidelines on bringing alcohol on board are stated in the FAQs section of Princess' website as "We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage."

So it's OK to disregard the guidelines on alcohol, but not on dress code (as you've stated in other posts). In the future, if we need guidance on which guidelines we should or shouldn't follow, we should consult with you.

That would be a good idea!

Ron

I think we will do as we always have and just get the drinks at the bar or order a bottle when we get there from room service. We have never taken booze on board with us in the past and I took a look at the pricing on the Princess website and it is certainly what I consider reasonable to buy a bottle of alcohol.

It's discouraged but not forbidden. The cruise lines are not in the business of hasseling you. Just take what you want, it won' be confiscated and you won't be denied boarding. No problem Mon.

When in the Carribean, people buy those boxes that FLASH discount booze which often are held for you when you board. If you have a single bottle in your backpack or in your shopping bag, probably no hassle. We have brought wine and beer on, no problems. In fact, I really believe it could have been something very dangerous, they really don't bother you.

We carry on our favorite wine to enjoy in our room and my DH loves to be able to grab a beer out of the fridge so you can either buy it on board or carry a 12 pack on with you or buy it in port. Princess does a good job of keeping the prices reasonable on mixed drinks and their martinis are to die for so you may not even want to go to the extra trouble.

You can but you can buy it onboard from room service or one of the bars for less than you'll probably get it for in the states.

Scott

$20 for a liter of vodka isn't exactly cheap.

$20 for a liter of vodka isn't exactly cheap.

It's not bad for the higher end vodkas - you pay that much for a fifth here - True though - Princess does not have any of the low to mid end vodkas - in that case bring your own and don't feel bad about it!!

Ron

I usually buy some Corona beer when we get to port. I bring it back on the ship with no problem. The only reason I do this is that 2 yrs ago Princess signed a contract with Dos Equis XXX beer.. UGH! In addition they don't carry Heineken anymore either... Can't believe the most popular Caribbean beer isn't carried by Princess...If their contract runs out with Dos Equis maybe they'll rethink this....! I hope by this coming Oct when I sail on the Star...

can u sneak booze on board the princess dawn?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have heard many stories about how people sneak alcohol onboard, listerine bottles, soda bottles, etc.

Princess does not allow you to bring bottled liquor onboard. They do allow you to bring beer, wine, champagne.

When you go ahsore & make liqour purchases they will take it from you & deliver it to your cabin on the last day.

As with anything, always exceptions of people being allowed in with alcohol.

It's not bad for the higher end vodkas - you pay that much for a fifth here - True though - Princess does not have any of the low to mid end vodkas - in that case bring your own and don't feel bad about it!!

Ron

Yeah... it's pretty good for Stoli and Absolut, but you can get a liter of smirnoff for $10

I looked at the list on princess, and for name brand stuff the prices seem okay. However, we're not exactly discerning people;) . Anyway, we are finding lately that we enjoy wine (dangit, we grew up or something), but we don't know a lot about wine so we thought we'd enjoy the wine tastings and to buy a bottle we liked to have with dinner on the ship. I've heard mixed reviews about these tastings. Does it cost extra...a lot extra? Wine tastings in our area are usually part of charity events and so we're usually priced right out of the party. Going to a vinyard is fun, but I imagine there's no vinyard on the ship.....then again they seem to have everything else!

We brought on several bottles of wine on the Regal Princess on the last cruise. All of our luggage was delivered but the wine box. After a few hours we checked with our room steward. He told us to inquire at the Purser's desk. The first young lady that I talked to informed me that Princess did not allow us to bring any alcohol on board and that it would be held for us until the end of the cruise.

I told her that my understanding of Princess' policy was that you couldn't bring mixed drink type of alcohol but that wine and champagne was allowed. She then went to check with her supervisor. She then informed me that I was correct in my understanding of Princess' alcohol policy. She told us to come back in a few more hours if it didn't appear. It finally showed up around 8:30 PM. My DH and I were begining to wonder if some of the staff were going to have a great wine party on us. :eek:

I usually buy some Corona beer when we get to port. I bring it back on the ship with no problem. The only reason I do this is that 2 yrs ago Princess signed a contract with Dos Equis XXX beer.. UGH! In addition they don't carry Heineken anymore either... Can't believe the most popular Caribbean beer isn't carried by Princess...If their contract runs out with Dos Equis maybe they'll rethink this....! I hope by this coming Oct when I sail on the Star...

Give me Dos Equis Amber over Yellow water Corona any day!!:)

Archived