Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old July 30th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Specialty restaurants

I thought of asking this as a poll, but wasn't sure how to do it.

So the question is :
Do you dine in the specialty restaurants? Frequently, occasionally or never? And why/ why not? Service, food, atmosphere, special occasion, or other reason?

Thanks for your input!

Sailed:
Grandeur of the Seas July 2007
Grandeur of the Seas June 2008
Serenade of the Seas April 2009
Grandeur of the Seas April 2010
Navigator of the Seas Feb 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas June 2011
Jewel of the Seas January 2012
Enchantment of the Seas May 2012
Grandeur of the Seas May 2013
Enchantment of the Seas Sept 2013

Old July 30th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

We dine in specialty restaurants (chops and Portofino) 3-4 nights on a 7 night cruise. The reason? We aren't interested in the pork-chicken-pasta stuff in the main dining room. Even the prime rib last cruise in MDR was bad. The other nights we do windjammer. there will be MDR lovers here and more power to them. We burned out on MDR same old same old (waiter, bread, salad, etc etc). The specialty dining venue's are a cooked to order fine restaurant, compared to the mass buffet in the main dining room. No real comparison.
k

Last edited by bouhunter; July 30th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Old July 30th, 2013, 07:25 PM
40,000+ Club

Very occasionally. We enjoy the MDR food and conversation.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Old July 30th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have tried Chops and Chef's Table. Our reason for going to specialty restaurants is curiosity about what they have to offer and it's a change from the MDR. It's like an intimate formal night for us. Generally, we will go to the MDR for dinner. Between one and three nights, we'll go to the WJ for dinner. One night, we may try a specialty restaurant.
October 2012 - Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
May 2012 - Radiance of the Seas - Southbound Alaska
October 2010 - Splendor of the Seas - Eastern Mediterranean
April 1999 - Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas

Old July 30th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

We typically do at least a night at Portofino's, but we found the MDR food to be so good on this last cruise with the new MDR menu that we will stick with the MDR next month.

-Keith
Freedom of the Seas West Carib- 8/14; Grandeur of the Seas Bermuda- 11/13; Grandeur of the Seas Bermuda- 8/13; Freedom of the Seas West Carib- 7/13; Enchantment of the Seas Bermuda- 8/12; Oasis of the Seas East Carib- 8/11; Liberty of the Seas East Carib- 9/08; Navigator of the Seas East Carib- 9/06; Navigator of the Seas West Carib-1/06; Navigator of the Seas East Carib-1/06

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

We tend to do MDR & on many cruises stick with it for the full week.
We have tried Chops and Portofino once each; found Chops steaks to be quite nice but not exceptional, Portofino was amazing.

On Oasis we did do specialties 3 nights: 150 Central Park, and it was as exceptional as advertised; dinner in the Solarium, which was different and lovely; and on the 2nd formal night did wine flights and ordered dinner from the tapas menu in Vintages. Enjoyed the 3 nights "out" and enjoyed the 4 nights in the MDR.

Reasons for doing specialties? sometimes a better menu, or just for something a little different and more intimate.
Reasons for MDR? We like the conversation, the food, and the interactions with the wait staff.

Mary
RCCL Majesty- "Girls' Cruise" Bahamas, Feb 2009
RCCL Mariner - "Nikki's Wedding Cruise" Western Caribbean, June 2008
RCCL Serenade - "Cruising with our friends" Alaska, May 2007
RCCL Serenade - "Just the two of us" Southern Caribbean, Jan 2006
Carnival Pride - "Family Holiday" Mexican Riviera, Christmas 2003
Carnival Ecstasy - "Family Holiday" Catalina, Christmas 2002
Carnival Holiday - "Family Holiday & Our First Cruise!! " Catalina, Christmas 2000

Old July 30th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I haven't eaten in the MDR in probably my last five cruises. I prefer the specialty restaurants or the Windjammer. I mostly cruise alone, and while I never have trouble meeting interesting new people, I don't necessarily want to spend an entire meal with them. Also, I prefer the food and service in the specialty restaurants. I also hate the noise level in the MDR, so if I'm not eating dinner in a specialty, I tend to head to the Windjammer, which is much quieter in the evenings.

Old July 30th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We love going to Specialty restaurants on RCCL cruises.

LuLu
~~~~

Old July 30th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

We always book a night at Chops for our anniversary and usually will book a night at Portofino. We never eat dinner in the Windjammer. We did all specialty restaurants except one night on Allure (Feb 2012). We had originally booked specialty for 4 of the 7 but had such a poor experience in MDR the first night, we decided to try out all of the specialty restaurants. In order of preference (favorite to least) we liked: 150 Central Park, Chops (went twice), Giovanni's Table, Rita's Cantina, Samba Grill. The only one we would not try again was Samba Grill....meat overload!

Addicted to cruising since 2000 ~ 97 days at sea and counting ~ Royal Caribbean Diamond/Celebrity Elite
Royal Caribbean ~ Jewel Mar 2014, Freedom Oct 2013, Allure Feb 2012, Liberty Oct 2010 & Oct 2012, Navigator Feb 2010, Enchantment July & Nov 2009, Serenade Oct 2011, Majesty Dec 2012, Sovereign (retired) Nov 2000& Nordic Empress (retired) Feb 2004; Disney ~ Wonder 5/2010 & Dream May 2012; Celebrity ~ Constellation April 2013; Norwegian ~ Majesty May 2006 & Pearl Jan 2008

Old July 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

We've started eating more and more in the specialty restaurants. What started out as maybe one time per cruise has changed to every night on one cruise, and four nights on our last cruise. There are several reasons, for us anyway. We had a really bad experience in the MDR one trip. We used to request a large table so we could meet different people at dinner, but more and more found ourselves sitting by ourselves at a table for eight, or six. The quality of the food in the MDR has declined, and while the service is still good, it usually feels rushed.
Summit 7/19/15, Liberty 4/20/15, Reflection 7/25/14,Grandeur,7/19/13,Allure 4/14/13,Enchantment 7/20/12 ,Serenade 4/14/12,Enchantment6/30/11,Majesty 4/18/11, Enchantment 7/10,Freedom 7/09, Enchantment 7/08 Mariner 4/20/08 Liberty 7/07/07 Enchantment 4/14/07 Freedom 7/16/06 Sovereign 4/05,AOS 7/04,Sovereign 4/03,AOS 7/02,Nordic 7/01, Zenith 7/00,Nordic 7/99,Sovereign 5/98,Monarch 5/97, Sovereign 5/96

Old July 30th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

We try to do one night in Portofino (Giovanni's Table on the upcoming Indy cruise) but we really enjoy the MDR too. We like the special service we get at the specialty restaurants.

Old July 30th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

We love the specialty restaurants and dine in them as much as possible. The food and service is really great. I'm not a big fan of the MDR for a few reasons. It always seems to have uncontrolled kids running around screaming and yelling. Plus I am not a big fan of singing and dancing waiters.......lol. If I want entertainment, I'll go see a show after dinner.
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas 2004 (Panama Canal)
RCI Serenade Of The Seas 2006 (Southern Carib)
NCL Norwegian Spirit 2008 (Cruise To Nowhere)
RCI Liberty Of The Seas 2008 (Western Carib)
RCI Voyager Of The Seas 2009 (Mediterranean)
NCL Norwegian Gem 2012 (Cruise To Nowhere)
RCI Explorer Of The Seas 2013 (Bermuda)
RCI Oasis Of The Seas 2014 (Western Carib)
NCL Breakaway 2015 (Bermuda)
RCI Anthem Of The Seas 2016 (Sampler)

Old July 30th, 2013, 09:19 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
<snip>We enjoy the MDR food and conversation.
Same here, Bob!

We never dine in the specialty restaurants. No need to spend more money when we like the food and experience that's included.

116 nights at sea (58 with RCI):
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/17/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/25/13
RCCL Jewel of the Seas (7 days Southern - Barbados route) 5/25/13
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (9 days NJ to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maarten) 5/24/12
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (NJ to Bahamas - New Years cruise) 12/30/11
RCCL Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/21/11
Caribbean Princess (9 days NY to Bermuda, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk) 7/29/10 REVIEW
Caribbean Princess (Canada/New England) 8/24/08 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/26/07 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/20/06
Carnival Miracle (NY to Bahamas) 6/26/04 REVIEW
RCCL Adventure of the Seas (Southern - Aruba route) 8/24/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/17/02
Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean) 5/90
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean) 6/89
Home Lines Atlantic (NY to Bermuda) 7/88

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:10 PM
10,000+ Club

Last few cruises we have only done the MDR once a cruise. Too much like a banquet hall; we much prefer the ambiance, service and upgraded cuisine at the specialities - more like dining at an actual restaurant. Well worth the nominal charge.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:56 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaK View Post
Same here, Bob!

We never dine in the specialty restaurants. No need to spend more money when we like the food and experience that's included.
I agree! I tried Chops once and it was fine. Not exceptional but good. Now that they removed my favorite steak AND dessert from the menu, no reason for me to go back.

If it were a Prime cut of beef it would be more "worth it" but I can get just as good a steak and service for 30.00 pp on land at our local steakhouse.

I'm a huge fan of the MDR though and haven't had a bad experience. Plus they serve things there that I don't normally get on land. Love the lamb shank, duck and escargot.

I was gonna try Portofino on Freedom on the last cruise but didn't like the extremely early or extremely late dining times that were left. We didn't prebook.

Carnival Holiday - 6/08
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/10
Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas - 2/11
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas - 4/12

Old July 31st, 2013, 07:19 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
I agree! I tried Chops once and it was fine. Not exceptional but good. Now that they removed my favorite steak AND dessert from the menu, no reason for me to go back.

If it were a Prime cut of beef it would be more "worth it" but I can get just as good a steak and service for 30.00 pp on land at our local steakhouse.

I'm a huge fan of the MDR though and haven't had a bad experience. Plus they serve things there that I don't normally get on land. Love the lamb shank, duck and escargot.

I was gonna try Portofino on Freedom on the last cruise but didn't like the extremely early or extremely late dining times that were left. We didn't prebook.
I agree, these items are rare at land restaurants, at least where we live.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Old July 31st, 2013, 07:43 AM
5,000+ Club

We will usually do one or two, however, on our last cruise I felt the the mdr was better.

Old July 31st, 2013, 07:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

This will be our first cruise with RCI but based on the menus (YUMMY), I am going to dine at Chops and Giovanni's on the nights I don't like the MDR menu. (Based on the menu, I know of 2 nights I don't care for but I'm still trying to figure out which nights they serve which menu)

I probably wouldn't have, but one of our perks is a free specialty dining dinner so that had me drooling, err...I mean looking at all of the menus. Chops and Giovanni's menus really caught my stomach, err...I mean eye.

"The ocean has always been a salve to my soul...

zthe best thing for a cut or abrasion was to go swimming in salt water.
zLater down the road of life, I discovered that salt water
zwas also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land."
- Jimmy Buffet

PREVIOUS CRUISES:
zzMarch, 2014 on NCL's Gem -
NYC, New York; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte-Amalie, St Thomas & Samana, Dominican Republic
ssDecember, 2013 on RCCL's Allure of the Seas - Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica & Cozumel, Mexico
ssJune, 2013 on the Disney Dream - Port Canaveral, FL; Castaway Cay & Nassau, Bahamas
ssJuly, 1992 on NCL's MS Seaward - Miami, FL; Ochos Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman & Cozumel, Mexico

Last edited by Snooksi; July 31st, 2013 at 08:00 AM.

Old July 31st, 2013, 07:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

OP here. Figured I would answer my own question.
I have never been to a specialty restaurant. My reasoning for this - why should I pay extra for food when I have already paid for meals included. But I have to admit, that almost every time I order a steak in the MDR, it is really pretty bad. I often wondered is this their way of "persuading" you to order a chops steak for an extra fee. Anyway, I just quit ordering steaks anymore.
But as I read more and more about people dining in specailty restaurants, makes me think maybe I should check it out.

Sailed:
Grandeur of the Seas July 2007
Grandeur of the Seas June 2008
Serenade of the Seas April 2009
Grandeur of the Seas April 2010
Navigator of the Seas Feb 2011
Rhapsody of the Seas June 2011
Jewel of the Seas January 2012
Enchantment of the Seas May 2012
Grandeur of the Seas May 2013
Enchantment of the Seas Sept 2013

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:15 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper123 View Post
OP here. Figured I would answer my own question.
I have never been to a specialty restaurant. My reasoning for this - why should I pay extra for food when I have already paid for meals included. But I have to admit, that almost every time I order a steak in the MDR, it is really pretty bad. I often wondered is this their way of "persuading" you to order a chops steak for an extra fee. Anyway, I just quit ordering steaks anymore.
But as I read more and more about people dining in specailty restaurants, makes me think maybe I should check it out.
I know the mentality of having already paid for the food in the MDR, but consider what just an entree would cost at a semi-decent steakhouse at home. Maybe you could get a piece of chicken for $30 but not a nice steak. And that wouldn't include appetizers, sides and dessert either.