Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old July 31st, 2013, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 2 questions - 1 re: AMA - 1 re cabins

Got a question for the cruise experts, please.

I thought that all cruise lines (including AMA) pricing included tips and I was just told by my TA that this is not the case.

Can someone confirm, please.

Also, we are looking at booking a room that is right at the FRONT of the ship. Next to the stairs/elevator and dinning room.

Has anyone ever been right at the front? Did you hear the elevator? Did you smell the food from the dining room?

Thanks!

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerchick View Post

I thought that all cruise lines (including AMA) pricing included tips and I was just told by my TA that this is not the case.

Also, we are looking at booking a room that is right at the FRONT of the ship. Next to the stairs/elevator and dinning room.

Has anyone ever been right at the front? Did you hear the elevator? Did you smell the food from the dining room?

Thanks!
I can only speak about AMA, since I haven't cruised on other river lines.

Tips are included for the porters who handle your luggage and for the servers in restaurants on the various towns, if a lunch somewhere is part of an excursion. You may also tip the excursion guide at the end of each excursion, usually 1 or 2 Euros per person.

However, you are expected to tip the Cruise Director separately and a general tip for the entire boat crew. Guidelines are provided in your documents, 3 Euros per day per person for the CD and 12 Euros per day per person for the boat crew.

Regarding the cabin, on my last cruise I had cabin 101 on the Amacerto, which is on the lower deck (some call it the "Aquarium" class) and it is the very first on the front of the ship. It was very comfortable and never had any problem with noise, etc.

I hope this helps.

Sergio

Last edited by cruisingmad; July 31st, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks!
Hi, we just got back from sailing the AMACERTO. We were in cabin 206 on the Cello deck, 3 cabins back from the stairs and elevators. We did not hear the elevators or smell the food from the dining room. Even when we were in the hallway by the stairs going to the dining room we did not smell the food. also, the tips were not included in the price. They were extra.

Last edited by copperski; July 31st, 2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have cruised with Viking, AMA, Uniworld, Grand Circle and Gate 1 and tips were NOT included in any of these cruise lines.

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

AMA does not include tipping in their pricing. $12 to $15 per person per day is the recommended gratuity. We were mid ship on the middle deck, no food smells. Elevator is not used very much, not like the big ocean liners. Most people just use the stairs, of course there will be some who do need to use them.

Scenic Emerald-Paris to Barcelona Sept 2013
Freedom OTS-E. Caribbean March 2013
Scenic Emerald Amsterdam to Budapest Sept 2012
Emerald Princess-S. Caribbean Jan 2012
AMA Amalegro Prague to Paris Sept 2011
Oceania Insignia Venice -Barcelona -September 2010
Coral Princess Panama Canal FLL to LA Dec 2009
Emerald Princess Baltic Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess S. Caribbean B2B Nov 2008

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Okay, thanks all. The room they are offering right at the front - near the stairs. Shouldn't be a big deal I suppose.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say it's for a 2014 cruise. I thought all cruise lines were going to be adding tips to the price next year.

Last edited by coolerchick; July 31st, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I'm sorry, I forgot to say it's for a 2014 cruise. I thought all cruise lines were going to be adding tips to the price next year.
Tauck and Scenic already include gratuities - Uniworld will be including them for 2014. All of the these companies have cruise prices that reflect the included gratuities.

We have gratuities included in our Avalon cruise next year - but it was some type of promotion that our TA noticed and confirmed for us. But, it is only for the cruise.... Anything pre/post (we are one night in Monte Carlo, and 2 in Paris) are NOT included, if I understand it correctly.

Also - it may only be for the cruise - not the excursion guides. I will be confirming that before we go (next June).

Fran

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had the very first room (they call it a suite) on the top deck right at the top of the stairs - behind the cruise manager's desk. Noise was never a problem, nor were any smells from the dining room. We really liked the location.

Old August 1st, 2013, 05:45 AM
10,000+ Club

AMA does not include tips in their pricing. It would be nice if they did. Avalon also does not include tips. Those are the only two lines we have personally sailed.

We had the very last cabin on an Avalon cruise and it was noisy as people congregated around the main staircase. It would not be my first choice.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old August 1st, 2013, 06:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Have not travelled with AMA but Avalon do include tips in theccruise cost for Australian passengers.

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Okay, thanks all. The room they are offering right at the front - near the stairs. Shouldn't be a big deal I suppose.

Have you asked if other cabins are available, or is that he only one left in a specific category?

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Past Cruises:
AMAPrima - Danube, Prague to Budapest
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics, Copenhagen, St Petersburg
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean, Spain Italy
Celebrity Millenium - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:00 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs up If you have a TA,ask if

tips will be inc.as part of their package.We just had this done on an AMA cruise.We also got %5 cash back.Sorry,can t give names.but try googling luxury cruise travel agents in Dallas ,Tx.Or simply call a few and ASK.
As said,only a few river cruises inc.these tips(we are taking Scenic next yr.,so we ll see if all the perks inc.are worth price).Did love BOTH AMA trips I took(splurged for 2 balcony cabin,and WORTH EVERY PENNY).

Old August 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippican View Post
Have you asked if other cabins are available, or is that he only one left in a specific category?
It's the only one available - a suite. The rest are booked (already for May 2014).

I actually have a TA who is very nice and she was the one that mentioned that AMA do not include tips. However I wanted to check with you guys too.

Every time someone says something about river cruises - I research it on here first

She did say that the nor for tipping is 20 euro a day per person.

Old August 1st, 2013, 01:31 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:

She did say that the nor for tipping is 20 euro a day per person.
This is inaccurate. In Europe, it is recommended at 12E per person, per day for staff pool and 3 per person per day for the cruise director. Since it is discretionary, some tip more and some less.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
This is inaccurate. In Europe, it is recommended at 12E per person, per day for staff pool and 3 per person per day for the cruise director. Since it is discretionary, some tip more and some less.

See! Now that's why whatever anyone tells me (TA included) I check here to verify. Thanks!

Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
See! Now that's why whatever anyone tells me (TA included) I check here to verify. Thanks!
It was correct on our last AMA cruise, in November. I cannot imagine they would increase it so much. Perhaps very recent cruisers can comment.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
It was correct on our last AMA cruise, in November. I cannot imagine they would increase it so much. Perhaps very recent cruisers can comment.
Actually, you are right. I did a sitewide search on AMA and found exactly what you had suggested as a tip.

Of course I can't find it now that I look for it again...

Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Coolerchick, if you go to AMA homepage and click on already booked and then click on cruising FAQ, you will then scroll down to What are the tipping guidelines and the info will be there.Hope this helps.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you!

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Editor

Hi. I'm onboard AmaPrima right now and had a chat with owner Rudi Schreiner today, and he explained why he didn't want tips to be included. A tip, he said, is to reward good service. He hopes you'll get such good service from the crew that you'll want to -- but crew needs to earn it. Yes, the $12 - $15 per day figure is accurate.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic

Quote: