alcohol

probman

The day we were to leave (from our cruise last week on the Amsterdam) there was a knock on our door early in the morning. It was management who wanted to know if he could empty the mini bottles on our shelves and in the refrigerator. We said "sure." Then "why."

We had forgotten that the Amsterdam had been chartered by Dr. David Jeremiah for the cruise beginning that day. He said "there was some sort of religious group coming on board and that all rooms had to be cleared of the liquor."

He lifted the top off the round footstool under the dresser (where the bedspread was stashed) and put all of the liquor in there. Then, he put the bedspread back and replaced the top.

We had not looked in the mini-frig but there appeared to be lots and lots of choices as well as those lined up on the shelves.

Hope they didn't open the footstool:eek:

Don't know the length of your cruise - but - if there are 2 of you and you both want to have drink in your cabin before dinner - on a seven day cruise that would be 14 bottles (mini bottles). Those have got to cost more than if you order a bottle from service or if you go to a bar and order a bottle for the cabin - you will pay a 15% gratuity fee either way.

If one needs to smuggle liquor on board ship (nickle & dime) I would stay home. HAL has a VERY large selection of liquor and you order from ship services. Order your bottle and enjoy your vacation. Happy Sailings..Leslie Swiger:)

If one needs to smuggle liquor on board ship (nickle & dime) I would stay home. HAL has a VERY large selection of liquor and you order from ship services. Order your bottle and enjoy your vacation. Happy Sailings..Leslie Swiger:)

It is a 1/2 bottle of 75 yr old scotch, would hate to have it poured out.

If one needs to smuggle liquor on board ship (nickle & dime) I would stay home.

Huh? If anyone smuggles liquor onboard you'll stay home? hehehehe

I think it's just the sporting nature of a lot of people to try and get away with something. Personally, I tend to be a bit on the frugal side and enjoy my own stuff in the cabins. I loved it when you were allowed to buy duty free onboard or ashore and take it to your cabin. That said, I still bought my share of drinks at all the bars onboard.

haha... glad i didn't take that advice (about staying-home). i smuggled-aboard 1.75L of premium vodka, about 80% of which was consumed by end of the cruise (no, not just by me but my friends as well). but that didn't hurt hal in any way... probably 3/4 of my final bill was drinks (esp the expresso martini) i purchased during the cruise.

I smuggle, in protest of HAL's alcohol policy that allows wine to be brought aboard but not beer or alcohol. Seems outright discriminatory to me. esp in light of recent posts that indicate assessment of the corkage fee in the dining room is spotty at best.

We don't take drinks out of the room and still spend plenty in the bars, but I will continue to smuggle until such time as they disallow wine as well..

If you don't want that to happen, then spare me the piety over smuggling.. Thank You..

sail - thank you. We inveterate types are always careful to use plastic bottles or to seal our contraband in gallon size ziploc bags. We'd hate to go to all the effort of snubbing our nose at the rules only to have to purchase a bottle after all, AND to suffer the torment of DW's "told ya so's" *S*

lol... i even double-bagged mine, just in the unlikely event the plastic bottle should somehow find a way to leak (breakage just wasn't gonna happen) and that first bag could spring a leak as well.

doing so i've yet to have any problem... but, yeah, if you just drop a glass bottle of your favorite libation in your checked bag you have to figure the odds are pretty good for breakage and/or leakage...

Archived