Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Closed Thread

Old August 6th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Smoking E Cigs

I've just read the Carnival FAQ's and it states that e cigs are only permitted in the smoking areas. Isn't that counter initiative when trying to giving up?

As E cigs only produce water vapour and don't smell is it possible to use it any where?

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Cruises so far.

Disney 4 night Bahamian
Grand Princess 14 night Western Mediterranean
Carnival Sunshine 12 night Eastern Mediterranean

Old August 6th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yup. For some reason, they consider that act, "SMOKING", which relegates those using them to the smoking areas.

Old August 6th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

I read on the e-cig forum that someone just returned from a Carnival Cruise (ship unknown) and vaped all over the ship. I haven't been on Carnival in 10 years but did vape everywhere on Celebrity and Norwegian. It doesn't take people long to realize it is not smoke and doesn't smell bad.

Old August 6th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising maniac View Post
I read on the e-cig forum that someone just returned from a Carnival Cruise (ship unknown) and vaped all over the ship. I haven't been on Carnival in 10 years but did vape everywhere on Celebrity and Norwegian. It doesn't take people long to realize it is not smoke and doesn't smell bad.
Some were vaping on Fascination last month - in non smoking areas.

Fascination Serenity Deck -
my favorite place to hang out!

Carnival Holiday -
April 2005

Carnival Holiday - December 2008
Carnival Fascination-December2010
Carnival Fascination - May 2011
Carnival Inspiration - June 2011
Carnival Fascination - May 2012
Carnival Legend - September 2012
Carnival Breeze - April 2013
Carnival Fascination - July 2013
Carnival Breeze - August 2013
Carnival Sensation - January 2014
Carnival Fascination - June 2014
Unofficial #1 fan of Bitter and Blanc

Old August 6th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

To give a perspective from someone who works for an airline, I'll give you insight into why we don't permit them to be used on board. One simple reason is because it encourages smoking. Passenger starts using an eCig, another passenger sees, doesn't know it's an eCig, and lights an actual smoke. Trust me, it happens more often than you think! In the dark theatre, if you saw someone who looked to be lighting up, you know there'd be people assuming that you can.

I realize it's not a strong argument, but there's some logic to it. The problem is in the marketing. These eCig's are sold with the expectation that you can just use them anywhere you please, which is not the case.

My prediction is that this is difficult to enforce as there isn't much awareness of these, in general. I'd say you'll probably have very mixed answers from staff on board about it. At our airline, it's an area we are really increasing our training on so that crews know the facts and aren't just speculating or going off what they hear in the news.

Hope this has been helpful
11/01/2013 Carnival Glory (Bahamas B2B)
02/28/2013 Carnival Victory (W Carib)
11/04/2012 Carnival Valor (W Carib)
01/29/2012 Allure of the Seas (W Carib - Atlantis Charter)
08/28/2011 Carnival Victory (S Carib - San Juan)
02/20/2011 Carnival Victory (S Carib - San Juan)
07/11/2010 Carnival Freedom (W Carib)
02/13/2010 Navigator of the Seas (W Carib)
02/13/2010 Carnival Destiny (Cancelled - Propulsion Problems)
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Alaska - Glacier Bay)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (W Carib - US Inaugural)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've seen a staff member on the valor tell someone they had to move to a smoking area... I think someone complained though... I'm not a dr so I don't know the effects it causes so I guess that's why it's only allowed in the smoking section

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know much about e-cig's, can anyone buy them, or do you have to be over 18?

If you have to be over 18 just like normal cig's, than they should follow the same rules,

just like beer and near beer you still have to be over 21 to buy them, so same rules apply.

If you NEED the e-cig because you are quitting, maybe having to use them in the smoking area will help you use it LESS and maybe quit smoking quicker.

Cruise History;
1. Nov 16 2003 Paradise (when it WAS Paradise and smoke free) Exotic Western, cabin E187
2. Oct 13 2007 Liberty, Eastern, cabin 8299
3. April 26 2009 Splendor, Mexican Riviera (by way of San Fransisco), cabin 7378
4. April 24 2010 Dream, Eastern, cabin 6380
5. Jan 29 2012 Valor, Western (with extended family) cabin 1322
6. Dec 9 2012 Splendor Mexican Riviera (take 2) cabin 1019 first time SPA
7. Oct 12 2013 Liberty, Eastern, cabin 1002, Eastern Liberty part 2
8. Sept 13 2014 Liberty, Eastern, Cabin 1004
9. March 14 2015, Breeze, Eastern Southern, Cabin 9209

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have never been a cruise since I started smoking E-cigs BUT, now that I am smoking them.... I don't think it's right for me to smoke it when I get ready to unless I am in a designated smoking area..... Simply because I know if i had a real cigarette I wouldn't smoke it in a restuarant, or any other public area where smoking is not permitted!! Another reason is, I don't want it to be so easy for me to smoke anytime, anywhere if I am trying to quit smoking. The more I puff on a cigarette only makes it harder for me to QUIT!! I do enjoy smoking but I also rather just smoke my electronic cigarettes only where smoking is permitted!!! Just my opinion, so No bashing Please!!!!!
Carnival Conquest 3/2004
Carnival Sensation 4/2005
Blue Bay Get Away, Cancun, Mexico 4/2006
Carnival Fantasy 8/2007
Carnival Holiday 10/2/2008
Temptations Resort and Spa, Cancun, Mexico 9/9/09 (9th Anniversary trip)
Carnival Fantasy 4/15/10
Carnival Elation 10/19/2013

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have been smoking a vaporizer since April and I went on the Dream with mine, I used it all around the ship and nobody said anything to me about having to be in the smoking section. Most of the time it was people saying "hey what is that thing?" Cause mine is purple and most people haven't seen a little vaporizer before. Lol
Mar 2009 - Crown Princess
Apr 2011 - Carnival Destiny
Apr 2012 - Carnival Valor
Apr 2013 - Carnival Dream
Sept 2013 - Carnival Victory
Dec 2013 - Carnival Magic
Upcoming:
Jan 2015 - Disney Dream

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleent View Post
I have never been a cruise since I started smoking E-cigs BUT, now that I am smoking them.... I don't think it's right for me to smoke it when I get ready to unless I am in a designated smoking area..... Simply because I know if i had a real cigarette I wouldn't smoke it in a restuarant, or any other public area where smoking is not permitted!! Another reason is, I don't want it to be so easy for me to smoke anytime, anywhere if I am trying to quit smoking. The more I puff on a cigarette only makes it harder for me to QUIT!! I do enjoy smoking but I also rather just smoke my electronic cigarettes only where smoking is permitted!!! Just my opinion, so No bashing Please!!!!!
No bashing. I'm not a steady e cig smoker, can't seem to shake the real thing totally. I will not use my e cig in the DR, shows etc. as that really would defeat the need to quit. I might sneak a puff or two in other places but not in a congested place. I don't sit for long and use the e cig for the normal time it takes for a real cig.

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-metal View Post
I've just read the Carnival FAQ's and it states that e cigs are only permitted in the smoking areas. Isn't that counter initiative when trying to giving up?
Funny you say that, because even John Heald agrees that e-cigs should not have to be in the smoking area. I believe it is something he has mentioned a few times. Very counter-productive when someone is trying to quit.

Quote:
If you NEED the e-cig because you are quitting, maybe having to use them in the smoking area will help you use it LESS and maybe quit smoking quicker.
Spoken like a non-smoker. I am not a smoker but my husband is. Making someone who is trying to quit smoking stand in the smoking area is not going to help them! It would be like putting someone on a diet in front of a huge buffet and saying "this should help you stop eating so much." Not happening!

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

I just started using them 3 weeks ago. So far, so good in staying away from regular cigarettes. I have purposely tried to only use them in places I would have normally smoked. All outdoors...all in smoking areas, because I do not want to start any NEW habits.

We're cruising in February, and I will probably occasionally use them on the balcony when at sea and in the smoking areas of the ship. And, my goodness, even in the cabin! (Da da duuuuummmmmmm). And when we are in port...wait until we are ashore.

I seriously don't want to bother non smokers, and at the same time, I don't want them bothering me. E-cigs are the best thing that has happened to me to get off regular cigs, and I find myself using it less and less. Which, is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerReuv View Post
Funny you say that, because even John Heald agrees that e-cigs should not have to be in the smoking area. I believe it is something he has mentioned a few times. Very counter-productive when someone is trying to quit.

Spoken like a non-smoker. I am not a smoker but my husband is. Making someone who is trying to quit smoking stand in the smoking area is not going to help them! It would be like putting someone on a diet in front of a huge buffet and saying "this should help you stop eating so much." Not happening!

Thinking Norwegian sounds good!

We've developed an addiction!

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_J View Post
To give a perspective from someone who works for an airline, I'll give you insight into why we don't permit them to be used on board. One simple reason is because it encourages smoking. Passenger starts using an eCig, another passenger sees, doesn't know it's an eCig, and lights an actual smoke. Trust me, it happens more often than you think! In the dark theatre, if you saw someone who looked to be lighting up, you know there'd be people assuming that you can.

I realize it's not a strong argument, but there's some logic to it. The problem is in the marketing. These eCig's are sold with the expectation that you can just use them anywhere you please, which is not the case.

My prediction is that this is difficult to enforce as there isn't much awareness of these, in general. I'd say you'll probably have very mixed answers from staff on board about it. At our airline, it's an area we are really increasing our training on so that crews know the facts and aren't just speculating or going off what they hear in the news.

Hope this has been helpful
+1. Keep them in the smoking section only.

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

I started using a PV [personal vaporizer] since Aug. 2010 and haven't had a real cigarette since Oct. 2010. Last year I vaped in the cabin, balcony, on open decks and took a hit here and there when no one was around. I am a member of the National vapers club. Studies have been done and more are being done. One to google is IVAQS indoor vapor air qualit study.

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

I hope everyone who uses e=cigs is able to quit smoking entirely....but remember that nicotine is STILL in the e's.

Please smoke in the smoking sections only. Thanks!

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just cruised Elation in June and my mom used her E cig in our room and on the Serenity deck. She usually books a balcony room for the convenience of being able to smoke without having to leave the room but this was a last minute booking and no balconies were available. No one ever complained and it helped her to enjoy her cruise without having to search for a smoking area when the nicotine fit striked.

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

This will be a debate from a smokers point of view versus non smoking...I don't think either party is right....I can see a smokers point of view that this is their way of life and they should get to use it....As I am a non smoker I see it from my point of view that I have no idea what the vape can do to my body...but I think if it is a rule that this should only be done in the smoking section then that is what should be followed and someone not following that rule shouldn't get angry if they are asked to move to the smoking section, Carnival is making THEIR policy what they chose is right for their costumers...so if you want their policy changed....then I would contact them...cause CC aint gonna help get anything changed

Old August 6th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think that it is difficult to tell what someone is smoking or whatever from a distance. The Carnival staff would have to check every time. May be if e-cigs were red or blue then they would be able to tell. At least until tobacco companies started using color paper.

Old August 6th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbuffalo View Post
I hope everyone who uses e=cigs is able to quit smoking entirely....but remember that nicotine is STILL in the e's.

Please smoke in the smoking sections only. Thanks!
Well said - and I agree.
Carnival Paradise, September 2013
Carnival Paradise, September 2014

Old August 6th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by near the beach View Post
I think that it is difficult to tell what someone is smoking or whatever from a distance. The Carnival staff would have to check every time. May be if e-cigs were red or blue then they would be able to tell. At least until tobacco companies started using color paper.
Although some of the cheaper e-cigs look like cigarettes, the higher end devices don't. Mine is actually purple & I have tanks that are different colors. They are way larger than a cigarette.

-------------------------------------
Carnival Elation ~ November 2013 ~ Family Cruise
Carnival Elation ~ November 2012 ~ Honeymoon

Closed Thread