August 9th celebrity millenium. Engine problems!

carla748

My girlfriend who just boarded the ship posted on Facebook that a announcement was just made on the Ship they were not leaving the Seward Port until Tuesday due to engine damage and then the ship is going straight to Vancouver for major work to be done?

Looks like this cruise is cancelled? Has anyone heard any news?

My girlfriend who just boareded the ship posted on Facebook that a announcement was just made on the Ship they were not leaving the Seward Port until Tuesday due to engine damage and then the ship is going straight to Vancouver for major work to be done?

Looks like this cruise is cancelled? Has anyone heard any news?

Hi Carla,

I've just heard about this moments ago... getting details now.

Hi Everyone,

The sailing is not cancelled, and guests are not required to leave the ship, unless they choose to return home.

Millennium will be staying in Seward for about 4 days (approx. 2 days for the parts to arrive from France, and 2 days for repairs), until repairs can be made. When the repairs are completed, the plan is for the ship to return directly to Vancouver.

I realize those onboard are disappointed, but Im hearing compensation is quite generous.

Hi Flagger,

So nice to see you. Haven't seen your name in a while. Welcome Back.

I'm hearing there are 2 options being offered to Guests. The first option, is to remain onboard and sail to Vancouver, which most folks will likely opt for, due to extremely limited hotel and air availability. If they choose this option, compensation is more generous than what you've posted. I believe the 50% FCC, is for option 2... if you choose to leave the ship.

I do not have all the details, but it seems Celebrity has once again, gone above and beyond, to take care of their Guests. If I receive additional details, I will post on this thread.

My colleague who just received her letter says 100% refund and 100% FCC if they stay on ship. 100% refund and 50% FCC if they leave ship.

Hotels in ANC are extremely limited and passengers are comfortable with all services and TOILETS in working order.

Have booked clients on tours Saturday and Sunday which are filling up fast. They booked themselves fishing on Monday afternoon for 1/2 Day salmon with The Fish House. They will do SeaLife Center in the AM.

They booked most tours through Celebrity but did Captain Larry (Orca Enterprises) in Juneau and they are aware of Millie's issues and will be issuing full refunds.

While disappointing to say the least, there are many sightseeing options available when one is based in Seward. The Kenai Fjords cruises out of Seward offer many sightseeing opportunities. Even Seward itself has some attractions that are worth visiting.

Make lemonade out of lemons, is my advice!

Hi all,

On August 8, Celebrity Millennium experienced an electrical problem with one of two propulsion motors, resulting in a delayed arrival in Seward, Alaska today. The intricate repairs required to restore power to the motor will take several days. As a result, the ship, which was scheduled to begin another 7-night cruise today/August 9 from Seward to Vancouver, British Columbia, must remain in port in Seward until Tuesday, August 13, when we estimate that we will be able to then depart directly for Vancouver, with a scheduled arrival time of 7 am on August 16. We are offering guests boarding Celebrity Millennium today a variety of options for compensation and/or assistance with alternate travel arrangements. One option is for guests to stay onboard during the repair and enjoy all the onboard experiences they have come to expect from a Celebrity Cruises vacation. For those guests that wish to do so, our staff will do everything they can to make the time onboard as pleasurable as possible.

Updates and additional information for travel agents or others with contacts sailing on the August 9 cruise can call 1.888.829.4050. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1.305.539.6000 ext. 48155.

Hi all,

On August 8, Celebrity Millennium experienced an electrical problem with one of two propulsion motors, resulting in a delayed arrival in Seward, Alaska today....

Thank you for keeping us up to date with the information.

BILL

Just posted a news item http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5481 with information from the boards (thanks, everyone!) and the only news story I can find so far: http://sewardcitynews.com/2013/08/cruise-ship-delayed-till-tuesday/

We've reached out to Celebrity for more info (if any) -- you can check the news item for updates tomorrow.

Out of interest, I'd love to find out what the bar tabs will be for the passengers. And how that compares to the cost for the refunds/FCC. :)

We're on the next sailing from Vancouver, headed back up north. Sounds like things are well under control though, and have been handled well by X.

Mark

Their more than generous policy is what made us so loyal to the brand on out cruise in Villa France on Millennium when she had issues. We really believe Celebrity goes above and beyond in these instances. We also got a 100% refund a 100% credit to a future cruise and a great vacation to boot.

The article says they arrived about 4 hours late into port. I wonder if Celebrity has offered any compensation to the passengers that were debarking since some of them may have missed tours or connections.

I think Celebrity did great with what they offered to passengers on this current sailing. That's how you build loyalty.

My heart goes out to the current passengers on the Millie. Having done this cruise in June, I can imagine how heartbroken some of them may be no matter the generous compensation from Celebrity. Hopefully, they'll take advantage of all that Seward has to offer and then enjoy the journey to Vancouver.

We are set to sail on Friday Aug 16, 2013. I just called Celebrity and they said the ship would be ready to go. I didn't expect otherwise but we should know more by Tuesday. We are set to fly out on Wednesday for a couple of days in Vancouver.

I hope they get it back in time for our cruise.

The News I received Friday, 9 August:

"Regrettably, we are writing to provide you with information regarding a change to our scheduled itinerary on Celebrity Millennium.

Yesterday, we experienced an electrical problem with one of the ship’s two propulsion motors, resulting in a delayed arrival in Seward today. After completing a full assessment this morning, we concluded that, unfortunately, the intricate repairs required to restore power to the motor will take several days. As a result, the ship must remain in port in Seward until Tuesday, when we estimate that the vessel will be able to depart directly for Vancouver, with a scheduled arrival time of 7 am on August 16.

We know how disappointing this is for our guests, and for our Travel Partners who arranged for their vacations, and we share that disappointment. In recognition of that, Celebrity Cruises is providing all guests on this sailing with a full refund of the fare paid for their cruise.

We also have provided them with two options:

Option 1: Guests who stay onboard through the ship’s arrival in Vancouver will receive a credit toward a future Celebrity cruise in the amount of 100% of the fare paid for the cruise, in addition to a full refund in the amount of the cruise fare paid. Our fabulous shipboard team will make their time onboard as enjoyable as possible, with the fine cuisine Celebrity is known for providing, and the wide variety of entertainment and activities originally planned throughout the ship for them to enjoy.

Option 2: We appreciate that some of our guests may wish to explore the possibility of staying in Seward to fly home from Anchorage. But, hotel availability in Seward and Anchorage is extremely limited, and similarly, air options out of Seward and Anchorage this weekend also are extremely limited, given the high number of guests departing today and arriving over the weekend for other cruises. If any guests wish to explore this option with our staff, and hotel accommodations and/or air are available, we will cover the costs involved. We also will provide them with a credit toward a future Celebrity cruise in the amount of 50% of the fare paid for this cruise, in addition to the full refund.

If you have any questions, please contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-888-829-4050.

Again, we sincerely apologize for this very unfortunate and unexpected development. Rest assured our entire staff will do everything they can to make your clients’ time onboard as pleasurable as possible."

My wife and I are terribly disappointed

Disappointing, but wow, that is the best compensation package I have heard of. Kudos to Celebrity for really stepping up here. Hope people can still have an enjoyable vacation and that the ship is repaired for the next sailing.

Archived