Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 13th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question A ? I have never seen on here before

Does anybody know the answer to this ?. I was wondering if we can order a meal at dinner time from the MDR on Carnival & then take it to the room to eat??? Like show up there at 6pm & ask for a soup, main dish & dessert to go, can you? Thanks, Anna
SPIRIT 8 NIGHT TO ACAPULCO 10/16/04
SPIRIT 8 NIGHT TO ACAPULCO 1/11/06
SPIRIT 12 NIGHT TO HAWAII 5/15/07
ELATION 4 NIGHT TO CABO SAN LUCAS 1/26/08
ELATION 3 NIGHT TO CATALINA ISLAND 6/4/09
SPLENDOR 7 NIGHT TO THE MEXICAN RIVERIA 2/27/11
INSPIRATION 4 NIGHT TO ENSENADA 12/3/12
********** FINALLY PLATINUM **********
MIRACLE 6 NIGHT TO THE MEXICAN RIVERIA 10/13/13
IMAGINATION 3 NIGHT TO ENSENADA 6/19/14

Future cruise
MIRACLE 7 NIGHT TO THE MEXICAN RIVERA 11/15/14

Old August 13th, 2013, 03:05 PM
10,000+ Club

I have never sailed Carnival, but based on the lines I have sailed I doubt that would be permitted. If you wish to dine in your room either order room service or bring some food back from the buffet.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old August 13th, 2013, 04:17 PM
50,000+ Club

They might allow it....but room service would be much easier! I know they'll wrap dessert for you, if you want. The problem with eating in your cabin is that most cabins don't have a dining table.....it's hard to eat a full meal on a knee-high coffee table or low patio table (if you have a balcony)!

Last edited by cb at sea; August 13th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Old August 18th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I traveled solo on a mega ship and did not want to be in the MDR with loads of couples and groups of families. I took the trip because of the ports, not the on board experience. I was told before the cruise I could order anything I wanted from the MDR as long as I picked it up. This was confirmed when I went to the MDR upon embarkation by the manager. Once we set sail I was told my only options were taking a tray from the buffet - which was not a great option to carry a heavy and cumbersome tray all the way back to my room - or room service. Note, beverages were not an option from the buffet - it added too much weight to the tray and could have spilled too easily. The ships are huge and the distance from the buffet at the far end of the ship was miles form my room. Room service consisted of vending machine quality food like frozen pizza, tasteless pasta or dry sandwiches. I opted for the buffet and was very disappointed by the quality. It was that of an Old Country Buffet or high school cafeteria. Just awful.
Go to the MDR if you have to and ask for a to go packet. Who cares what your dining mates think. At least you will get decent food.
Better yet, do a river cruise. They have a small dining area with open seating so you can dine wherever you like or you can go to the lounge area and eat or take it to your room - mere steps on these small and intimate ships.
I eat every meal in the dining room on river cruises because of the atmosphere of friendly people towards a solo traveler. But if I wanted, I could have had anything in my room from the main menu. We even took glasses of wine (complimentary) at the end of the meal back to the rooms for a night cap. How civilized is that?? I will never take an ocean cruise again.

Old August 19th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarineGrace View Post
I traveled solo on a mega ship and did not want to be in the MDR with loads of couples and groups of families. I took the trip because of the ports, not the on board experience. I was told before the cruise I could order anything I wanted from the MDR as long as I picked it up. This was confirmed when I went to the MDR upon embarkation by the manager. Once we set sail I was told my only options were taking a tray from the buffet - which was not a great option to carry a heavy and cumbersome tray all the way back to my room - or room service. Note, beverages were not an option from the buffet - it added too much weight to the tray and could have spilled too easily. The ships are huge and the distance from the buffet at the far end of the ship was miles form my room. Room service consisted of vending machine quality food like frozen pizza, tasteless pasta or dry sandwiches. I opted for the buffet and was very disappointed by the quality. It was that of an Old Country Buffet or high school cafeteria. Just awful.
Go to the MDR if you have to and ask for a to go packet. Who cares what your dining mates think. At least you will get decent food.
Better yet, do a river cruise. They have a small dining area with open seating so you can dine wherever you like or you can go to the lounge area and eat or take it to your room - mere steps on these small and intimate ships.
I eat every meal in the dining room on river cruises because of the atmosphere of friendly people towards a solo traveler. But if I wanted, I could have had anything in my room from the main menu. We even took glasses of wine (complimentary) at the end of the meal back to the rooms for a night cap. How civilized is that?? I will never take an ocean cruise again.
Thank you Clarine. I appreciate your help

Future cruise

Old August 19th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
They might allow it....but room service would be much easier! I know they'll wrap dessert for you, if you want. The problem with eating in your cabin is that most cabins don't have a dining table.....it's hard to eat a full meal on a knee-high coffee table or low patio table (if you have a balcony)!
Thank you CB. I really appreciate your help.

Future cruise

Old August 19th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo70 View Post
I have never sailed Carnival, but based on the lines I have sailed I doubt that would be permitted. If you wish to dine in your room either order room service or bring some food back from the buffet.
Thank you Gonzo, I really appreciate your help.

Future cruise

Old August 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default taking food from the dining room..... this time on princess cruises.

One time My travel partner wanted to take her dessert from the main dining room to the cabin to eat later. They told her it was not possible due to health regulations.
Now mind you. That is Princess and it may be something new.. Not sure.
I have seen people go up to the buffet and take a snack back to their room.
Best.....

Old September 15th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarineGrace View Post
I was told before the cruise I could order anything I wanted from the MDR as long as I picked it up. This was confirmed when I went to the MDR upon embarkation by the manager. Once we set sail I was told my only options were taking a tray from the buffet
Go to the MDR if you have to and ask for a to go packet.
Your post totally confused me. First 2 sentences you could do exactly as you wanted to. 3rd sentence, you had to go to buffet to get food, 4th sentence, you got what you wanted from the MDR?????? HUH?????