Royal Princess- Lack of a Walkable Promenade Deck

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:53 AM.
#1
Potomac, MD
42 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
An Open Posting to Princess Cruises- The lack of a walkable promenade deck on the Royal Princess will result in us cancelling our scheduled December cruise.

As background, my wife and I have been on 14 Princess Cruises over the last 20 years all over the world (Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Panama, Norway and elsewhere). Regardless of our itinerary, one of the most important things to us to do on every Princess cruise was our daily exercise walks on the covered promenade deck.

I was very disappointed to learn that the Royal Princess does not have a walker friendly promenade deck for people like us. I understand that it is cut off in the front and back of the ship and is too narrow in parts to do exercise walks. For us, the jogging trail at the top of the ship does not work due to my wife's sun sensitivity plus it not being the same quiet ambience of a promenade deck.


As a result of this Royal Princess design feature, we will for the first time in years start looking at other cruise lines. We may continuing to go on some of the older Princess Ships, but that fleet is aging. Our hearts are broken over this as we were one cruise away from Elite Status. We were looking forward to the other innovations of the Royal Princess class of ships. However, for us, this promenade issue is a deal breaker as it is a very important part of our cruise we thought would never be taken away.
#2
549 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by Rbel4
An Open Posting to Princess Cruises- The lack of a walkable promenade deck on the Royal Princess will result in us cancelling our scheduled December cruise.

As background, my wife and I have been on 14 Princess Cruises over the last 20 years all over the world (Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Panama, Norway and elsewhere). Regardless of our itinerary, one of the most important things to us to do on every Princess cruise was our daily exercise walks on the covered promenade deck.

I was very disappointed to learn that the Royal Princess does not have a walker friendly promenade deck for people like us. I understand that it is cut off in the front and back of the ship and is too narrow in parts to do exercise walks. For us, the jogging trail at the top of the ship does not work due to my wife's sun sensitivity plus it not being the same quiet ambience of a promenade deck.


As a result of this Royal Princess design feature, we will for the first time in years start looking at other cruise lines. We may continuing to go on some of the older Princess Ships, but that fleet is aging. Our hearts are broken over this as we were one cruise away from Elite Status. We were looking forward to the other innovations of the Royal Princess class of ships. However, for us, this promenade issue is a deal breaker as it is a very important part of our cruise we thought would never be taken away.
Have you considered using the treadmills?
#4
New Jersey
4,812 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
I guess everyone has something that's important to them. It's really a shame that the OP won't give it one cruise, get their elite status and then post about how unacceptable things are, if they are. I am getting tired of negative posts from those who haven't even been on the ship, particularly when those who have sailed her, rave about how great it is.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Regal Princess - Halloween again - 10/27/16
Regal Princess B2B from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale - 15 days! Oct/Nov 2015; Love being Elite!
Caribbean Princess - November 2014 - 4 days and my last as Platinum!
Royal Princess - October 2014 - 10 day repo/Halloween cruise
HAL Westerdam - March 1, 2014 - Birthday cruise and Piano Bar Nation reunion! Eastern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - November 2013 Cruise for a Cause- 4 day to Progreso, Mexico
Caribbean Princes - October 2013 repo - NY to Houston
Caribbean Princess - November 2012 - repo - NY to Ft. Lauderdale
Caribbean Princess - October 2012 - "Sandy" cruise - Bermuda turned to Boston for 6 days!
HAL Zuiderdam - April 2012 - Panama Canal
Caribbean Princess - August 2011 - "Irene" cruise - NE/Canada
Caribbean Princess - August 2010 - NE/Canada
HAL Noordam - January 2007
HAL Noordam - January 2008
And some long forgotten Greek ship in 1983

[email protected]
#5
Clarksburg, WV
13,965 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Rbel4
We may continuing to go on some of the older Princess Ships, but that fleet is aging. Our hearts are broken over this as we were one cruise away from Elite Status.
Hi Rbel4,

If you are one cruise away from Elite is it possible to try a last minute cruise out of the northeast, maybe a Canada/New England or a repositioning cruise? There were also lots of great last minute deals this year to Alaska, a destination I never got tired of. Maybe try that strategy next year? Or maybe a Pacific Coastal or TransPacific cruise in 2014? Japan, Vietnam, India, British Isles? Any Princess ships go there that you like? Maybe fly to the Pacific Northwest for a week-long land tour and then jump on one of the 2-night cruises between Vamcouver and Seattle?

And despite the 'aging fleet' many of the ships are being updated with new venues and features. It's hard to believe that ships like the Sapphire Princess and Diamond Princess are falling apart. They should still be around for another ten years. Have you been on any of the Princess small ships? I hear they are extremely popular. Not much of a promenade though. Or maybe the Island or Coral Princess? I hear they have even wider promenades that the rest of the ships in the Princess fleet. A full transit of the Panama Canal maybe? Somewhere you've already been but loved, would really like to see one more time?

Royal Princess may not fit the bill, but there are still lots of options within the Princess fleet that may. And if not, and you find yourself 'straying', then try a grand lady like Queen Mary 2 or one of the HAL ships. I hear they also have nice promenades.

Every ship can't please everybody. Find one that pleases you and enjoy what's important to you. Have a great cruise, whatever ship you find yourself on. Hopefully it will be Princess, and you'll be Elite. I hear they get some pretty nice perks.

#6
Northern California
2,586 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by Rbel4
An Open Posting to Princess Cruises- The lack of a walkable promenade deck on the Royal Princess will result in us cancelling our scheduled December cruise.

As background, my wife and I have been on 14 Princess Cruises over the last 20 years all over the world (Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Panama, Norway and elsewhere). Regardless of our itinerary, one of the most important things to us to do on every Princess cruise was our daily exercise walks on the covered promenade deck.

I was very disappointed to learn that the Royal Princess does not have a walker friendly promenade deck for people like us. I understand that it is cut off in the front and back of the ship and is too narrow in parts to do exercise walks. For us, the jogging trail at the top of the ship does not work due to my wife's sun sensitivity plus it not being the same quiet ambience of a promenade deck.


As a result of this Royal Princess design feature, we will for the first time in years start looking at other cruise lines. We may continuing to go on some of the older Princess Ships, but that fleet is aging. Our hearts are broken over this as we were one cruise away from Elite Status. We were looking forward to the other innovations of the Royal Princess class of ships. However, for us, this promenade issue is a deal breaker as it is a very important part of our cruise we thought would never be taken away.
I enjoy running and walking on the Promenade Deck, but it would take a lot more than that for me to cancel my cruise on the Royal. That would be like selling my house and moving to another town, because they closed my favorite park. Not sure i understand why you would look at other cruise lines because one Princess ship doesn't have a walkable Promenade Deck. Why not book another Princess ship, especially if you are that close to Elite status.

Another alternative might be walking the inside corridors with all the photos.
#7
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,296 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by bigjer
Have you considered using the treadmills?
Originally posted by waltd
This has already been discussed to death. I'm sure you will find another ship/cruise line to walk on.
I use the covered promenade deck for exercise walking & also won't be able to use the exposed walk/run track due to a health issue. Instead I'll use the gym's treadmills because there are so many other things about the Royal to enjoy.

The OP may find that some new ships on other cruise lines also do not have a complete promenade deck & may be limited to older ships. I've read posts saying there are some new regulations about lifeboat placement that limits the designs. Whether that's true or not (I have seen photos of other new builds with similar designs) I cannot think of any one issue that would change my cruise preference.

For me it's who provides the best cruise at an affordable price & currently Princess is the one for me.
#8
San Francisco Bay Area
8,489 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I agree with the original poster's feelings about the missing outdoor promenade, I don't think there's really an issue of an "aging" fleet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess 05/2016; Golden Princess 08/2015; Crown Princess 04/2015; Ruby Princess 10/2014; Grand Princess 06/2014; Grand Princess 09/2013; Grand Princess 05/2013; Star Princess 10/2012; Emerald Princess 10/2011; Sapphire Princess 04/2011; Sea Princess 09/2010; Golden Princes 05/2010; Star Princess 04/2009; Dawn Princess 09/2008; Golden Princess 05/2008; Dawn Princess 11/2007; Island Princess, 04/2007; Regal Princess, 09/2006; Regal Princess, 05/2006; Dawn Princess, 12/2005; Island Princess, 04/2005; Regal Princess, 08/2004; Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess 2, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993 - Member FBPCQ
#9
Leeds, UK
1,496 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
The OP may find that some new ships on other cruise lines also do not have a complete promenade deck & may be limited to older ships. I've read posts saying there are some new regulations about lifeboat placement that limits the designs. Whether that's true or not (I have seen photos of other new builds with similar designs) I cannot think of any one issue that would change my cruise preference.
Pretty much every new cruise ship built post-2010 does not have a full promenade. I think the lifeboats must have something to do with this, otherwise we would see more variation in design. Royal Princess, Celebrity's Solstice Class, Norwegian Breakaway and Quantum of the Seas all share this design.
I also think maximising the number of balconies will have had some influence as well.

What I really don't understand is why you would cancel a cruise over the lack of it. Even if the Royal could be built with a full promenade, it would likely be of the Carnival Dream style (which isn't a full one itself), and therefore open to the sun.
If being able to walk around a promenade deck is more important than all the other new things Royal Princess offers, then why bother booking in the first place? I do not believe you will ever be able to sail on a new ship in the future, since this seems to be the way things are evolving.
#10
Raleigh, N.C.
11,727 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
I guess I haven't been following any threads that have discussed the lack of a walkable Promenade Deck on the Royal Princess. The deck plans seem to show somewhat of one. It looks like you could walk back and forth on the deck for almost the whole length of the ship. Many times, especially when they're lowering tenders, I've had to do so because they've closed off a portion of the Promenade Deck.
#12
Coastal North Carolina
6,957 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
The outdoor areas on the Promenade are for either lounging, sitting, etc. The areas for the passengers really aren't long enough for any type of serious walking. That would be better on the Sports Deck running/jogging circle or on treadmills.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunsetbeachgal. Princess Elite Member, HAL *** Mariner
From the Sunny North Carolina Coast

Next: Scenic River Cruises Paris to Nice, Sept., 2017, British Isles, Royal Princess June, 2018

Completed: Regal Princess, Feb 2017, Oasis of the Seas, Nov., 2016, Regal Princess Repo. Oct. 2016, Scenic Cruises Rhine River, June, 2016, Coral Princess Carib., Jan, 2016, HAL Eurodam, N. Europe, June, 2015, Regal Princess Carib., Jan. 2015, HAL Prinsendam, No. Europe, Sept. 2014, Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Carib., Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Carib., May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Carib. Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Carib., Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Carib.- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Carib.-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Carib.-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Carib.-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Carib.-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Med.-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Carib.-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Carib.-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/N.E.-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating 35 years of cruising!
#13
Currently at Cruise Critic
2,352 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Rbel4
An Open Posting to Princess Cruises- The lack of a walkable promenade deck on the Royal Princess will result in us cancelling our scheduled December cruise.

As background, my wife and I have been on 14 Princess Cruises over the last 20 years all over the world (Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Panama, Norway and elsewhere). Regardless of our itinerary, one of the most important things to us to do on every Princess cruise was our daily exercise walks on the covered promenade deck.

I was very disappointed to learn that the Royal Princess does not have a walker friendly promenade deck for people like us. I understand that it is cut off in the front and back of the ship and is too narrow in parts to do exercise walks. For us, the jogging trail at the top of the ship does not work due to my wife's sun sensitivity plus it not being the same quiet ambience of a promenade deck.


As a result of this Royal Princess design feature, we will for the first time in years start looking at other cruise lines. We may continuing to go on some of the older Princess Ships, but that fleet is aging. Our hearts are broken over this as we were one cruise away from Elite Status. We were looking forward to the other innovations of the Royal Princess class of ships. However, for us, this promenade issue is a deal breaker as it is a very important part of our cruise we thought would never be taken away.
Walking around the ship on a promenade deck while watching scenery and sea life, listening to the waves, smelling the sea - is a single most unique experience that is possible only on a cruise ship at sea.
Period.

Treadmills instead of cruising?

Connection to the sea is valuable.
The more the better.
The less the worse.

The Royal Princess has lost huge parts of cruising experience that cannot be compensated by a larger atrium & hydropool and a few cheap gimmicks.



Rbel4, you did two right things.
1. You cancelled the cruise on a ship that clearly conveyed disrespect to you.
2. You are saying this out loud.

What do you need elite status for?
Book a cruise on a better ship - that will be your reward.
The Grand class ships are at your service.
Look at HAL Signature class ship - amazing.
Look at Royal Caribbean Freedom class. Don't be afraid of a high energy ships. They are not as classy as Princess & HAL (food!) but the ships are gorgeous.
You don't have to be in the middle of an action all the time.
You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Royal Caribbean Freedom class Ship:





Enjoy your cruises.

Let bean counters cruise on ships designed by bean counters.
#14
3,540 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by cruisetrail
Walking around the ship on a promenade deck while watching scenery and sea life, listening to the waves, smelling the sea - is a single most unique experience that is possible only on a cruise ship at sea.
Period.

Treadmills instead of cruising?

Connection to the sea is valuable.
The more the better.
The less the worse.

The Royal Princess has lost huge parts of cruising experience that cannot be compensated by a larger atrium & hydropool and a few cheap gimmicks.



Rbel4, you did two right things.
1. You cancelled the cruise on a ship that clearly conveyed disrespect to you.
2. You are saying this out loud.

What do you need elite status for?
Book a cruise on a better ship - that will be your reward.
The Grand class ships are at your service.
Look at HAL Signature class ship - amazing.
Look at Royal Caribbean Freedom class. Don't be afraid of a high energy ships. They are not as classy as Princess & HAL (food!) but the ships are gorgeous.
You don't have to be in the middle of an action all the time.
You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy your cruises.

Let bean counters cruise on ships designed by bean counters.
Cruisetrail....enjoy all your cruises wherever they take you. Write a review when you get back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Princess Cruise…. A Royal Treat - Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2023448
From Royal to Regal...review Dec. 2014
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2144543
Caribbean Princess Review-Revisiting Grand Class after Royal Class
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2179869
Regal Princess-Nov. 29-Dec.13, 2015, Notes and Pictures
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2294724

Home Lines, Doric (7 days)
HAL, Noordam,(7 days)
Coral Princess (10 days)
Emerald Princess(42 days)
Crown Princess, (21days)
Star Princess,(48 days)
Caribbean Princess, (17 days)
Royal Princess (7 days)
Regal Princess (21)

Future- Regal Princess Dec. 10, 2017
#15
24,817 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by jrzebird
I guess everyone has something that's important to them. It's really a shame that the OP won't give it one cruise, get their elite status and then post about how unacceptable things are, if they are. I am getting tired of negative posts from those who haven't even been on the ship, particularly when those who have sailed her, rave about how great it is.
The OP shouldn't need to spend $3K plus to get on a ship to find out a feature they don't like isn't there when they know ahead of time that it isn't there.

IMO - walking on a treadmill is not the same as walking on a Promenade deck. I can walk on a treadmill back home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
#16
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,296 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by Coral
IMO - walking on a treadmill is not the same as walking on a Promenade deck. I can walk on a treadmill back home.
Definitely not the same thing however many other things on the Royal are more important to me. I'll use the treadmills & then find a spot to peacefully enjoy the outside which is one of my favorite onboard activities.
#17
Atlanta/Key West
9,935 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Coral
The OP shouldn't need to spend $3K plus to get on a ship to find out a feature they don't like isn't there when they know ahead of time that it isn't there.

IMO - walking on a treadmill is not the same as walking on a Promenade deck. I can walk on a treadmill back home.
Exactly.

I plan to spend a huge amount of time on our very large Caribe balcony next week onboard The Golden as well as our customary early morning and late evening walks around the Promenade deck.

We can hardly wait to get back onboard.

Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite Member
EMAIL
#18
24,817 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
Definitely not the same thing however many other things on the Royal are more important to me. I'll use the treadmills & then find a spot to peacefully enjoy the outside which is one of my favorite onboard activities.
Call me simple. I want good food, good service, nice pools, comfortable pool and deck chairs, a nice balcony, a promenade deck, some string instruments in the lobby for entertainment and and I am happy. I want to feel like I am on a ship and enjoy the view of the sea as much as possible.

All the new features on the Royal that people keep listing, I have no interest in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
#19
Clarksburg, WV
13,965 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Hi Rbel4,

I'm not sure if your cruising is restricted to a particular time of year, but if you are flexible and you still want to 'sample' this new class of ship, the Regal Princess is doing a 3-night Getaway Cruise on November 6, 2014. The day you disembark her maybe jump over to the Nieuw Amsterdam for a 14-night B2B or the Coral Princess 11-night Partial Transit of the Panama Canal. You'll get a taste of Regal Princess without too much of a commitment, and could maybe book one of the sideways inside cabins for the extra space since most of your time will be spent exploring the ship. It might be a fun way to experience her without forfeiting too much of you time and resources and still reach Elite level with Princess?
#20
24,817 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by bhopal21
Exactly.

I plan to spend a huge amount of time on our very large Caribe balcony next week onboard The Golden as well as our customary early morning and late evening walks around the Promenade deck.

We can hardly wait to get back onboard.

Mike
Enjoy that balcony! Know I will be incredibly envious and will be wishing I was there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me