Insects - Alaska

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:55 AM.
Austin Texas
18 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
The bugs are back with a biting vengeance
SWATTING SEASON: Skeeters and other winged pests seem worse than ever.

By DOUG O'HARRA, Anchorage Daily News

Published: June 12, 2005

They buzz and bite and swarm. They drive people indoors,
torment gardeners, stampede the tourists.

It's the Incredible Return of the Bugs, sequel to last spring's
fierce hatch, and many people say they've never been pricked
and pestered with such vengeance.

We're talking jillions here: mosquitoes, aphids, dragonflies,
midges, gnats, hornets, beetles and assorted creepy-crawlies
with all those weird Latin names.

You can read the full story online at:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story...-6483140c.html
Longview, Tx USA
276 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Oh my gosh, Mosquitos love my husband. He will die!!! Is this just for a short period or will they be around for the summer? We will be on a cruise the first week of July.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SHIRLEY & BOB
Carnival Fesstival 6/1990
Uniworld River Empress 6/2002
Celebrity Infinity 10/2003
Island Princess 7/2005
Oceania Nautica 5/2006
Star Flyer 7/2009
Oceania Insignia 6/2010
Uniworld River Royale 6-2013
Oceania Marina/8/2014

Los Gatos, CA
1,000 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
If you're just doing the cruise portion, without interior hiking, you should be fine. Haven't seen a mosquito in all three cruises, and I'm definitly prime bait. I'm currently testing for West Nile in CA... unpaid unfortunately!
13 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I didn't think that West Nile had made its way to Alaska yet. Am I wrong? I'm planning on wearing bug spray, but that is only because I have really terrible reactions (scars, yay!) to skeeter bites.
Los Gatos, CA
1,000 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by texasjess
I didn't think that West Nile had made its way to Alaska yet. Am I wrong?
I don't think it has yet. It'll be very sad for the eagle population if it gets bad there.
YYZ
5,885 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
I was in Alaska for a week last August and did not see one bug.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Golden, Star & Caribbean Princess, Disney Wonder & Magic, Crystal Serenity, NCL Sun, Carnival Festivale & Jubilee, Home Lines Homeric, Thomson Cruises Topaz, Epirotiki Atlas & Oceanos --->

.... . .
Little Rock, Arkansas
37,374 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by kimbtech
Aren't mosquitos the state bird?
Well, since you can see them coming from a mile away...I think state predator would be better.

I live in Arkansas now and people complain about the mosquitos down here. Growing up in Alaska, I looked like one swollen bump from all the mosquitos bites I received. Haven't had one since I moved down here, don't know what people are complaining about.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wrona

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos), 9/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos), 11/14 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean (View Photos), 5/15 Jaco Beach, Costa Rica (View Photos), 6/15 AmaSerena Danube River (View Photos), 7/15 Majesty of the Seas Bahamas (View Photos), 8/15 Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/16 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean, 11/16 Celebrity Silhouette WB TA, 1/17 Celebrity Infinity South America
Little Rock, Arkansas
37,374 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by texasjess
I didn't think that West Nile had made its way to Alaska yet. Am I wrong? I'm planning on wearing bug spray, but that is only because I have really terrible reactions (scars, yay!) to skeeter bites.
Try Avon Skin-So-Soft. That was about the only thing that worked for me growing up - and I have terrible reactions to skeeter bites - of course as I kid I'd forget to put it on before I went outside. I used to have to get steroid shots to stop the itching.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wrona

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos), 9/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos), 11/14 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean (View Photos), 5/15 Jaco Beach, Costa Rica (View Photos), 6/15 AmaSerena Danube River (View Photos), 7/15 Majesty of the Seas Bahamas (View Photos), 8/15 Navigator of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/16 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean, 11/16 Celebrity Silhouette WB TA, 1/17 Celebrity Infinity South America
San Antonio, Texas
1,257 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
We just got back and the only problem we had was on a tour in Skagway and you could saddle those suckers! And the flies too!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JB

Sun Viking 8/83, Premier 8/86, Disney 8/01, Rhapsody 8/03, Monarch 12/03, Splendour 4/04, Mariner 9/04, Rhapsody11/04, Radiance 6/05, Splendour 12/05, Radiance 3/06, Jewel 10/06, Splendour 12/06, Splendour 3/07, Serenade 6/07, Navigator 11/07, Enchantment 11/08, Voyager 3/09, Brilliance 6/09, Mariner 3/10, Radiance 6/10, Serenade 10/11, Liberty 1/12, Oasis 12/12, Navigator 3/14, Celebrity Summit 4/15, Silhouette 4/16

Diamond+