Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Oceania Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Oceania Cruises
Go to the Oceania Roll Call Forums

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How many Oceania cruise directors are there?

And what are they like? And how do you find out which one will be on a particular sailing? We'll be on the Regatta canal transit December 5th, and have quite a few sea days, so who the CD is may be more important than on a port intensive cruise.

I searched previous threads and didn't find any good answers. i realize the CDs' schedules are subject to change. Although I also realize a lot of people don't care who their CD is, I'm curious. It won't make or break our cruise.

Thanks!

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:10 PM
20,000+ Club

Several
Ones I can think of are
Leslie Jon
Willie Aames
Dottie ( on sick leave)
Nolan Dean

Maybe other will have more names

You usually find out in the Cruise Personalizer you receive about 5-6 wks prior to the cruise

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

You probably don't want to hear from me (!) because we don't generally care who the CD is. We really don't use them.

But as to the basic question -- obviously, they have to have enough CDs to cover 5 ships. And their contracts are not for forever, so there are backups. One CD completes a contract, takes vacation and is replaced by another. Then that first CD comes back, maybe to the same ship, maybe not. I have no idea how long the CD's contract is for. I've heard that regular crew is on the order of 6 months, but officers and probably the CD have a shorter term.

Regular passengers DO have their favorite CDs.

To find out who will be your CD on a December cruise, you probably should ask closer to your cruise. And you might go to the Roll Calls prior to your cruise to see who the CD is there. Obviously, you will limit yourself to Regatta's roll calls in October-November!

Hopefully someone else has better information than I do on this score.

Mura

It IS possible to find out the answer to your question, but this may be too soon for a December cruise.

Send Mura a message:

Old August 24th, 2013, 11:18 PM
5,000+ Club

The number of Cruise Directors is sure to be increasing, because when the Insignia returns to the fold, Oceania will be operating more ships than ever before.

Approximately six to eight weeks before your particular voyage you will receive a personalized Cruise Booklet which lists the Senior Hotel Staff and Ships Officers.
The Cruise Director is one of those listed.

Contact Jim & Stan

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

+ Roy and Davids

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

+ David Shermet

Cheers,

Don
Celebrity Summit - 12 day Southern Caribbean 2004
Celebrity Infinity - 14 day South America - 2005
Oceania Regatta - 14 day Mediterranean - 2006
Avalon Artistry - 14 day Danube - 2007
Oceania Regatta - 16 day Panama Canal - 2008
Royal Princess - 11 day Canada/NE - 2008
Nile Admiral - 7 day Nile Cruise - 2009
Oceania Regatta - 12 day Caribbean - 2010
Oceania Regatta - 10 day Caribbean - 2011
Crown Princess - 12 day British Isles - 2011
Oceania Nautica - 16 day China, Korea, Vietnam - 2012
MS AMAKatarina - 12 day Russian Waterways - 2012
Oceania Riviera - 10 day Spain, Morocco, Portugal - 2013
Celebrity Reflection - 7 day Eastern Caribbean - March 2014
Oceania Regatta - 9 day Alaskan Summer - 2014

Celebrity Silhouette - 7 day Western Caribbean - February 2015

Old August 25th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

[quote=Mura;39685165]
You probably don't want to hear from me (!) because we don't generally care who the CD is. We really don't use them.
Mura

And here I thought we were the only one who didn't care who they were because we never said more that hello or good by to them..

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree, I don't really care WHO is the CD, only that they are competent, since they are responsible for managing the entire entertainment end of the cruise.

Having only met Leslie, Willie and Nolan, I certainly don't have personal experience with all the O CD's. However, within my experience they are all gregarious, competent, dedicated, high energy folks who work their hearts out in their jobs. Certainly they are very different from one another, but all are a pleasure to sail with. I would be happy to sail with any of them again, and from what I've read on other threads many feel the same about the others mentioned above as well.

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Roy (Perez?) was promoted from asst cruise director while we were on the Riviera in March. Don't know which ship he is on now, but he is great!

Old August 25th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammieK View Post
Roy (Perez?) was promoted from asst cruise director while we were on the Riviera in March. Don't know which ship he is on now, but he is great!
There was a discussion about him a few weeks that inferred that he was no longer with Oceania. It pointed out he is now with this organization;

http://hotelcubalibre.com/7.html

Celebrity Summit Canada/New England; Oct 5, 2014 14 Night
Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean; Jan 2, 2015 10 night

Been There Done That Oceania Riviera Venice-Rome Aug 15, 2014 7 Night w/B2B Rome-Rome Aug 22, 2014 10 Night // Oceania Regatta Bermuda/Charleston; Apr 19, 2014 12 Night// RCCL Independence of The Seas Feb 9th, 2014 Western Caribbean 6 Night// Oceania Riviera Istanbul-Barcelona; Nov 6 2013 12 Night w/B2B Barcelona- Miami TA Nov 18th 14 Night// Celebrity Solstice Alaska; May 31, 2013 7 Night// 2/4/2013 Celebrity Constellation-- B2B Caribbean; 5 Night + 2/09/2013 Constellation 5 Night// 11/26/2012 Celebrity Equinox--Transatlantic 14 night// 5/3/12 Oceania Regatta--Tahiti/Hawaii 21 night// 10/28/11 Celebrity Infinity--Panama Canal 15 night// 11/12/10 Celebrity Millennium--E Caribbean 10 night// 10/12/09 Oceania Insignia--Med 10 night// 08/16/08 Regent Paul Gauguin--Tahiti 11 night// 01/26/08 Golden Princess--Mex Riviera 7 night// 01/07/07 Costa Magica--E Carib 7 night// 12/6/04 Silversea Whisper--S Carib 7 night// 6/04 Carnival Jubilee--Carib 4 night// 2/02 Carnival Imagination--Carib 5 night// 3/31/97 Carnival Ecstasy--W Carib 4 night

Old August 25th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=orchestrapal;39687646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Mura

And here I thought we were the only one who didn't care who they were because we never said more that hello or good by to them..
There are some very good CDs and some good CDs, and as was mentioned all are different. We sailed with most of them and usually the people who play Trivia are the most interested in the CD - they all do exceptional jobs with very long hours and I've found everyone of them takes time to talk with a passenger. Arlene
1994 Chandris Brittanis -Caribbean; 1998 Costa Romantica - Med; 1999 R2 Spain/Portugal; 2000 R6 Baltic; 2002 NCL Dream - Caribbean; 2003 Oceania Insignia - Venice to Barcelona; 2004 Oceania Regatta - Venice to Athens; 2007 Oceania Insignia - Istanbul to Barcelona; 2008 Azamara Quest SE Asia; 2009/2010 Oceania Nautica (b2b) Singapore to Sydney; Sydney to Aukland; 2010 Oceania Nautica Black Sea; 2010/11 Oceania Insignia South America; 2011 Oceania Nautica Dubai to Athens; 2011 Oceania Regatta Alaska; 2011/12 Oceania Nautica Cape Town to Singapore; 2012 Oceania Nautica Beijing to Hong Kong; 2012 Oceania Marina (b2b) Stockholm to Copenhagen; Copenhagen to Dover. February 2014 Oceania Nautica Hong Kong to Beijing; ; July 2014 Nautica London to London, Nautica

Looking forward to:
Nautica
Copenhagen to Lisbon, September 2014, [I)

Old August 25th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammieK View Post
We had Roy this month on Marina. However, I think our cruise was the end of his contract. I don't mean he was necessarily leaving Oceania. I really don't know. I assumed he was taking vacation.

Old August 25th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

He is supposed to be on the Riviera for the Paths of the Byzantines cruise at the end of October. He was asst cruise director on our previous two cruises so I sure hope that he hasn't left.

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default I am crushed

[quote=orchestrapal;39687646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Mura

And here, I thought all along the the captain, cruise director and officers had spent many long hours and years dreaming and contemplating of meeting me at long last to fulfill their empty lives.
Holland America...a few times..
Celebrity..a few times
NCl...a few times
CRATE..a few times

USS Vammen( DE 644)
USS Trathen( DD530.)..
USS Midway ( CV41)
"In harms way" ........ a many times

Old August 25th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Dan, you old rogue! You truly are a legend in your own mind. Have a good day! Kay

Old August 25th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are currently on the Regatta (with free unlimited Internet and a missed port day---thus I am filling in time before trivia). Our cruise director is David Peterson. He is great but he goes on vacation December 5. I'll ask him who his replacement will be.

Arlene---I think you would really like David. His trivia sessions are fun. Each day, he has a focus. Yesterday, it was history. Today, it is going to be art and literature.

Sometimes, Margaret Lynn fills in for vacationing cruise directors. Her regular position is assistant cruise director.

BTW, we are on a Panama Canal cruise from San Francisco to New York City---in hurricane season!!!

Last edited by Senior Citizen; August 25th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, everyone, for all your input. Sounds like Oceania has a good group of CDs.

Thanks, Senior Citizen, for asking David Peterson who his replacement will be. Sorry to hear about the missed port--didn't you just start your cruise Thursday? The only ports I've missed were on a SF to FLL Panama Canal cruise one October, when 2 hurricanes hit Puerto Vallarta at the same time--we spent extra time in Acapulco--so I share your pain.

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

TexEm---David's replacement Dec. 5 will be Nolan Dean.

Yes, we did start this cruise on Thursday in San Francisco. Cabo was our first port but Tropical Storm/Depression Ivo was heading there at the same time. So, the rough seas would make tendering very dangerous-if not impossible. The good news is that we get an extra 4 hours in Puerto Vallarta tomorrow which I like lots more than Cabo.

Our team came in first today at trivia. Besides the three Big O points, each member of our team won a small Russian toy, a wooden duck. Gifts from David.

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Senior Citizen--thanks for finding out about Nolan Dean. Hope you enjoyed the extra time in Puerto Vallarta today. And congratulations on your trivia win.

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Any recent info on Dottie?