Sailaways in the old days.

Kentchikan

I remember in the "olden days" at sailaway there used to be a lot of confetti and most of all serpentine. It was a rolled up strip of paper and you'd hold one end and the other end would unravel. If someone came to see you off they'd be on the dock and you would aim it at them and they would hold on to their end and you each hold your end as the ship sailed until it broke. I realize that it was not an ecologically sound move and would never be done today but it made the departure fun and exciting. Anyone else remember those "thrilling days of yesteryear"?

Edited by Kentskie

I remember in the "olden days" at sailaway there used to be a lot of confetti and most of all serpentine. It was a rolled up strip of paper and you'd hold one end and the other end would unravel. If someone came to see you off they'd be on the dock and you would aim it at them and they would hold on to their end and you each hold your end as the ship sailed until it broke. I realize that it was not an ecologically sound move and would never be done today but it made the departure fun and exciting. Anyone else remember those "thrilling days of yesteryear"?

The old Norway did it best!

I seem to remember bits & pieces of the Bon Voyage activities on TA's with my parents - including sailing on the France [later it became the Norway]. I collected steamers and confetti while they sipped champagne. Also did this on the Constitution and Independence. When I look at old photos, great memories, though I have to laugh. Back then, passengers were "dressed" to board the ship in better attire than many do today on "formal" night. Back then, one entered the dining room, walking down a stair case, hoping your elegant gown would be the envy of others. Dad always wore either his white dinner jacket or tux. Times have changed......

Darcy

I seem to remember bits & pieces of the Bon Voyage activities on TA's with my parents - including sailing on the France [later it became the Norway]. I collected steamers and confetti while they sipped champagne. Also did this on the Constitution and Independence. When I look at old photos, great memories, though I have to laugh. Back then, passengers were "dressed" to board the ship in better attire than many do today on "formal" night. Back then, one entered the dining room, walking down a stair case, hoping your elegant gown would be the envy of others. Dad always wore either his white dinner jacket or tux. Times have changed......

Darcy

Gosh I remember those days well. Back when informal was a blazer and slacks with a shirt and tie. We went to Disneyland the year it opened and my dad wore a suit and my mother wore a nice dress. Time have surely changed.

Darcy

The memories! I also sailed on the SS Independence in 1990 (as an 11 year old child). I took 2-3 showers a day - always getting ready for different events... once in the morning, once after swimming (either in pool or ocean), and then once before dinner! And I had special outfits, some with matching hats for dinner! Times have changed.

I do remember all the paper products at sail away - confetti and streamers to shoot off. What a mess to clean up (looking back).

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

That is certainly something I miss about the "Good 'Ole Days"!

Yes, people actually "dressed" to board the ship and Bon Voyage was quite an event! :D

LuLu

~~~~

The streamers and confetti were messy, but what I miss most was being able to go aboard to see off friends - or to have them on board for a drink to see you off - until the dramatic accouncement: "All ashore that's going ashore!".

Now sailaway s have been reduced almost to the point of seeing people off at an airport -- you have your "Bon voyages" long before boarding - usually in a crowded waiting area.

As with any other "product", cruising has been seriously impacted by mass production.

The streamers and confetti were messy, but what I miss most was being able to go aboard to see off friends - or to have them on board for a drink to see you off - until the dramatic accouncement: "All ashore that's going ashore!".

Now sailaway s have been reduced almost to the point of seeing people off at an airport -- you have your "Bon voyages" long before boarding - usually in a crowded waiting area.

As with any other "product", cruising has been seriously impacted by mass production.

I miss the getting on board too. It was always fun to explore ships especially for me since I was a "ship addict" at a young age.

I have a photo of myself boarding the Sunward in June 1967 -- I'm wearing a nice dress & white GLOVES! My daughter howled w/laughter when she saw that!

Also, friends visited us on the Sitmar Fairsea in San Francisco in 1981 prior to our 1st Alaska cruise -- friends we'd met on the Fairwind 5 yrs. before. Fun sail-aways!:D

Yup! Saw it every week on "The Love Boat"!

That is certainly something I miss about the "Good 'Ole Days"!

Yes, people actually "dressed" to board the ship and Bon Voyage was quite an event! :D

LuLu

~~~~

I still remember the excitement of sailing out of New York on the Queen of Bermuda in 1963 on my first cruise. The band was playing and confetti and streamers were flying all over the place. I still get excited as we leave port but something is missing....those of you who have sailed in those good olde days know what I am talking about. I have photos of me at sail away dressed to the nines complete with a bee hive hat and white gloves.

Marion

When was the last time there was a band playing as you sailed away?

A booklet with passengers names listed?

Charge for lounges at the pool?

Drinks that were cheaper than in the States because the liquor was duty free after sailing away?

All meals were served at your seating time not just dinner?

You got smutty from the engine soot up on deck?

Nost of the crew were the same nationality as the ship?

I still remember the excitement of sailing out of New York on the Queen of Bermuda in 1963 on my first cruise. The band was playing and confetti and streamers were flying all over the place. I still get excited as we leave port but something is missing....those of you who have sailed in those good olde days know what I am talking about. I have photos of me at sail away dressed to the nines complete with a bee hive hat and white gloves.

Marion

I know exactly what you mean.

Drinks that were cheaper than in the States because the liquor was duty free after sailing away?

Wow brings back memories.

Do any of you remember being wrapped in blankets on teak deck chairs and being served bouillon at 11?

Don't forget there were few if any verandahs.

No or poor air conditioning.

No private baths in all cabins.

Prices were very high and only the wealthy could cruise.

Formal dress many nights and gentlemen expected to be in tie and jacket every evening in MDR with ladies dressed commensurately.

Generous tipping was de riguer.

Guests sharing a table shared their wine. One guest each night would treat the table.

No TV's or DVD players.

Some changes from the 'good old days' are most welcome by me. :D

Edited by sail7seas

I think the thrill of those old time sailaways is the reason I still have to be up on deck for the sailaway. There may not be a band, confetti, or lots of people to wave us off, but it still is exciting that an adventure at sea is about to start.

Wow brings back memories.

Do any of you remember being wrapped in blankets on teak deck chairs and being served bouillon at 11?

Actually.......

HAL still has teak deck chairs, piles of plaid blankets and hot Dutch pea soup is served on deck in Alaska. :) And long may they continue to provide same. It's wonderful !

Actually.......

HAL still has teak deck chairs, piles of plaid blankets and hot Dutch pea soup is served on deck in Alaska. :) And long may they continue to provide same. It's wonderful !

I agree that HAL provides an experience closer to what it used to be.

Band at sailaway: 2006, NCL.

Booklet with passengers' names: Never; started cruising too late for that and, frankly, would not have wanted our names in a booklet given to strangers under any circumstances. In fact, we would have made sure we were not listed. Privacy has always been a big deal to us and it is certainly a huge issue these days, so I can understand why cruise lines don't want the liability concerns.

Charge for lounges: Given the prevalence of chair hogs, that's not the worst thing in the world to reinstate.

Cheaper drinks: Don't recall; no doubt because we didn't cruise much until 2001. We did enjoy buying at the duty free shops onboard for take home, but now that airlines charge so much and given that we're not close to cruise ports so we have to fly, we don't even do that these days.

Assigned meal times for all meals (and no real room service or buffets or alternatives): Early 1980's on Princess and mid 1970's on a tiny Scandinavian ferry line. Hated it then and would hate it now. We don't care to have enforced dining times or cruise line assigned tablemates because we don't necessarily know when we'll be hungry and we prefer making new friends of our choosing and in less structured environments.

Soot: Again, Princess in the early 1980's. I hear that aft balconies can really get messy on some ships.

Crew nationality: I don't recall.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick