Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old August 26th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Live from the AMACerto

We arrived today at the AMACerto docked in Vilshofen. We did 4 nights on our own in Prague but joined AMA for the transfer from Prague to Vilhofen with a stop in Regensburg. We enjoyed the town of Regensburg but after an hour tour we only had an hour on our own in the town which had to include lunch. Arrived at the boat at 4:00pm for our welcome briefing and since the town was celebrating an "Oktoberfest" we all headed to the fair grounds for beer and pretzels for a couple hours. The Captains dinner will be tomorrow night.
First impressions of the boat are quite favourable. She still looks very new and dinner tonight was great.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

May 1992 - Big Red Boat ** September 2004 - Brilliance of the Seas ** April 2005 - Radiance of the Seas ** March 2006 - Brilliance of the Seas ** April 2007 - Adventure of the Seas ** February 2008 - Liberty of the Seas ** June 2008 - Radiance of the Seas ** February 2009 - Celebrity Summit ** September 2009 - Celebrity Solstice ** March 2010 - Radiance of the Seas ** September 2010 - Celebrity Millennium ** February 2011 - Holland America Volendam ** October 2011 - Celebrity Constellation ** February 2012 - Oasis of the Seas ** June 2012 - Holland America Eurodam ** April 2013 - Allure of the Seas ** August 2013 - AMA Certo ** October 2013 - Oasis of the Seas ** April 2014 - Brilliance of the Seas

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Looking forward to your posts. Bon Voyage!

AMACello - Rhine - 2013, Norwegian Spirit - W Caribbean - 2011,
Crystal Serenity - E Med - 2010, Queen Mary 2 - Canada - 2009,
Eurodam - Baltics - 2009, Queen Mary 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 2008,
Queen Elizabeth 2 - W Med - 2008, Amsterdam - Alaska - 2007,
Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean - 2007, Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 2005,
Star Princess - Mexico - 2002, Carnival Spirit - Pacific repo - 2001,
Norwegian Majesty - S Caribbean - 2001, Rembrandt - Canada - 2000,
Seabourn Sun - SF cruise to nowhere - 2000, Queen Elizabeth 2 - N Atlantic crossing - 1999,
Zenith - Bermuda - 1998, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Panama Canal - 1997,
Century - W Caribbean - 1996, Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 1993,
Nieuw Amsterdam - Pacific repo - 1993, Crown Princess - E Caribbean - 1991,
Westerdam - Mexico repo - 1990, Queen Elizabeth 2 - Hawaii - 1989,
Cunard Princess - Pacific repo - 1987

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have a great trip.

SAILED: Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
SAILED: Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
SAILED: Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
SAILED: AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
SAILED: Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
SAILED
: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
SAILED: Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011. MS River Adagio
SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.
SAILED: Grand Circle's Essence of the Elbe: Hamburg to Prague on the M/S River Allegro on May 27 to June 11, 2012
SAILED: Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn on August 18, 2012. St. Petersburg to Moscow.
SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
SAILED: AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
SAILED: Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
SAILED: Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G __________________________________________

Grand Circle: Burma & the Irrawaddy River with Phnom Pehn and Angkor Wat pretrip. 11/25 to 12/16 2014. Ship: RV Paukan

Old August 27th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had free time in Vilshofen this morning before returning to the ship for Hotel Manager's Welcome. We set sail for Passau before noon and were through our first lock at lunchtime, without problems or delay. We are docked in Passau until midnight. Today we did the Limited edition tour which was a bike tour along the Inn River.

May 1992 - Big Red Boat ** September 2004 - Brilliance of the Seas ** April 2005 - Radiance of the Seas ** March 2006 - Brilliance of the Seas ** April 2007 - Adventure of the Seas ** February 2008 - Liberty of the Seas ** June 2008 - Radiance of the Seas ** February 2009 - Celebrity Summit ** September 2009 - Celebrity Solstice ** March 2010 - Radiance of the Seas ** September 2010 - Celebrity Millennium ** February 2011 - Holland America Volendam ** October 2011 - Celebrity Constellation ** February 2012 - Oasis of the Seas ** June 2012 - Holland America Eurodam ** April 2013 - Allure of the Seas ** August 2013 - AMA Certo ** October 2013 - Oasis of the Seas ** April 2014 - Brilliance of the Seas

Old August 27th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechfor View Post
We had free time in Vilshofen this morning before returning to the ship for Hotel Manager's Welcome. We set sail for Passau before noon and were through our first lock at lunchtime, without problems or delay. We are docked in Passau until midnight. Today we did the Limited edition tour which was a bike tour along the Inn River.

How was the bike tour?

Old August 27th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've heard rumors that AMA provides passengers with "seat canes" upon request. Can you tell me if you've seen or heard anything about these? thanks!

Old August 27th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Saw some on the AmaLyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonnm View Post
I've heard rumors that AMA provides passengers with "seat canes" upon request. Can you tell me if you've seen or heard anything about these? thanks!
If a seat cane is what I am thinking it is, a collapsible seat, then YES, I did see them. They were in the container where the umbrellas were stored, right near the exit doors in the lobby area.

I did not see anyone use one, but I was in the "active" walkers group.

Sailed:
Ocean Cruises:
California Coastal - Golden Princess, Nov 2013 Alaska RT Seattle - Golden Princess, August 2012Pacific Coastal San Diego to Vancouver - Zuiderdam, May 2012 Greek Isles - Star Princess, July 2011 Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess, September 2010 Western Mediterranean - Holland America Noordam, August 2010 Baltic - Emerald Princess, August 2009 Alaska Cruisetour Southbound - Coral Princess, August 2008 Mexican Riviera - Diamond Princess, November 2006 Mexico Cabo San Lucas - Carnival Elation, 2008 Mexico Baja - Royal Caribbean Monarch, 2007

River Cruises:
Danube Budapest to Prague - AmaLyra, August 2013

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Old August 27th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I saw them, too, on our AMACerto cruise in May. Was surprised because I have never seen them on any other cruise line. There were a couple, maybe three. Didn't see anyone use them, though.

Old August 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, there are about 10 of them next to the door as you exit.

Old August 27th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
How was the bike tour?
The guides started out by saying it wasn't a sight seeing tour but rather a bike tour. They did however, make a mumber of stops in town to talk about the markings on the Town Hall and the recent flood and to point out St. Stephens Church. We did about 16km and most was alomg dedicated biking/walking paths. We enjoyed the ride and most people appreciated the opportunity to do some physical activity to burn off the calories.

Old August 28th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default thanks!!

thank you for the daily posts...they certainly will help us prepare for our upcoming first river cruise.

Old August 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml1230 View Post
thank you for the daily posts...they certainly will help us prepare for our upcoming first river cruise.
You're welcome. This is our first river cruise and prior to leaving we were anxious to read anything we could about our ship and our itinerary.

Today's stop was Linz. Since our last day in Prague the weather has turned cool and rainy. Our walking tour of Linz this morning was nice and the rain held off. Since the afternoon weather forecast was for showers we opted for the trip to Salzburg since the trip to the Lakes district would have limited visability in the rain and fog. It rained heavily all the way to Salzburg but thankfully stopped raining when we arrived in Salzburg and throughout our walking tour.

Tomorrow brings us to Melk, the Wachau Valley and Krems.

We have enjoyed the meals onboard. I know dining is subjective but we have felt the selection has been good and the food tasty.

Old August 28th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechfor View Post
You're welcome. This is our first river cruise and prior to leaving we were anxious to read anything we could about our ship and our itinerary.

Today's stop was Linz. Since our last day in Prague the weather has turned cool and rainy. Our walking tour of Linz this morning was nice and the rain held off. Since the afternoon weather forecast was for showers we opted for the trip to Salzburg since the trip to the Lakes district would have limited visability in the rain and fog. It rained heavily all the way to Salzburg but thankfully stopped raining when we arrived in Salzburg and throughout our walking tour.

Tomorrow brings us to Melk, the Wachau Valley and Krems.

We have enjoyed the meals onboard. I know dining is subjective but we have felt the selection has been good and the food tasty.

I don't think there is much of anything left, but just outside of Krems was the infamous WWII prisoner of war camp, Stalag 17B. Probably not something most of the people there want to talk about.

Old August 30th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkucera View Post
I don't think there is much of anything left, but just outside of Krems was the infamous WWII prisoner of war camp, Stalag 17B. Probably not something most of the people there want to talk about.
No mention of that at all as we approached Krems.

Yesterday was a fantastic day! A morning visit to the Melk Abbey followed by an afternoon cruise through the Wauchau Valley. The sun finally made an appearance at the perfect time to allow us to sit on the sun deck for the cruise. Breath taking views of castles and villages. A late afternoon stop in Krems followed. We opted for the bike tour from Krems to Durnstein. A lovely ride along the river and then about an hour free time in Durnstein. Last night was the wine tasting experience in Krems.

Old August 31st, 2013, 12:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Friday was our day in Vienna and it was a long, full day. It started with a walking tour in town. We were docked aways from the city centre which required a bus ride to get there. Traffic going in and throughout the day was horrible. We had chosen the active walkers group and although our guide knew that he moved at the pace of a turtle. The active group was supposed to allow you extra free time at the end but we arrived after other groups. We didn't like our guide and came away from the tour with a negative experince and therefor didn't think very favourably of Vienna.

We took the boat' s tour to Schonbrunn in the afternoon. We had originally planned to do this on our own but after deciding to go to the concert in the evening we thought the timimg might not work out to get to the early dinner. We had a great tour of the palace and a great commentary on the ride back to the boat.

Although I am not a classical music lover, I am glad I went to the concert in the evening. It was something to experience in the music capital of the world.

This morning was free and it was nice to sit on the sun deck as we sailed to Bratislava. The afternoon was the walking tour of the Old Town and then free time in the city. The city was busy as there was an annual folk festival happening. It was nice to see performances of song and dance as well as shop the booths of local crafts.

Old September 1st, 2013, 12:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Gayle!

I'm enjoying your report, we have a Rhine River cruise booked over Christmas and I'd love to hear more about the ship. I'm also interested in how the tours are scheduled, I'm curious what will be available for us Christmas Eve & Christmas Day when most everything in town closed.

Have a great rest of your trip!
~Amy
Celebrity Silhouette 6/3/13 Eastern Med & Greek Isles
Ama Amacello 12/20/13 Christmas on the Rhine
Future:
Danube TBD

Old September 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Fitness Equipment

Gayle - Thank you for your day-by-day discussion of your cruise activities. We are taking the same ship, same cruise next June with a local group. It will be our first river cruise and we have heard good things about AMA. We appreciate your taking the time to post your reports.

Can you please tell me if there is any weightlifting equipment in the fitness center. All the photos I have seen show a couple of pieces of cardio equipment (elliptical, stationary bike) but no dumbbells or weight benches. I don't expect too much on such a small vessel, but I'm hoping to get in at least one workout or two while onboard.

Thanks. And happy travels.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I'm also interested in how the tours are scheduled, I'm curious what will be available for us Christmas Eve & Christmas Day when most everything in town closed.
Amy we were in Vienna last Christmas Eve and though I checked online and it said many things were closed, including the practice of the Spanish Riding School, virtually everything was open as usual. We had a morning tour, and I chose the riding school, and then came back into town in the afternoon.

The shops started to close around 2.00 ish, it varied, and the markets were very busy in the morning, and slowly as the crowds left (it was horrible rainy day) they started to close with the food vendors being the last.

All the museums etc were open for morning walking tour, it was just soggy and very very cold.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothriver View Post
we have a Rhine River cruise booked over Christmas and I'd love to hear more about the ship.
We were on the AmaCerto last November and I posted a detailed review. If you have any specific questions, I am happy to help.

It was our 6th river cruise, our 2nd with AMA and a fabulous experience!

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil98 View Post
Amy we were in Vienna last Christmas Eve and though I checked online and it said many things were closed, including the practice of the Spanish Riding School, virtually everything was open as usual. We had a morning tour, and I chose the riding school, and then came back into town in the afternoon.

The shops started to close around 2.00 ish, it varied, and the markets were very busy in the morning, and slowly as the crowds left (it was horrible rainy day) they started to close with the food vendors being the last.

All the museums etc were open for morning walking tour, it was just soggy and very very cold.
We were on the AmaCerto in April and absolutely loved it! I am reading your posts with interest, as we would like to book this itinerary on the same ship or a sister ship. The crew was fantastic (Miklos, Catalan, Sabi, and of course, Captain Tom. Is Justin still the CD? We took 2 bike tours in Holland and loved them both, though it was very windy. Can't wait to sail the family again.

Cunard Countess - Caribbean - mid '70s, Song of Norway - Caribbean 7/89, Norwegian Sea - Bahamas 12/01, Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas 12/29/2002, Radiance of the Seas - Alaska 8/23/03, Mariner of the Seas - Caribbean 05/15/05, Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean 09/30/07, Jewel of the Seas - Baltics 08/21/09, Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean 02/27/10, Enchantment of the Seas - Bermuda 09/04/2010, Celebrity Infinity - South America 03/13/2011, Liberty of the Seas - Jamaica 12/29/2011, Enchantment of the Seas - Bahamas 12/29/2012, AMACerto - Tulip Time - 04/15/2013, Explorer of the Seas - Bahamas - 12/29/2013, Celebrity Reflection - Mediterranean/Greek Isles 06/02/2014, AMASonata - Romantic Danube 09/06/2015, Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean 02/14/2016,