Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old August 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Flying Business Class

We are considering booking our first river cruise in Europe. Have thought seriously about spending the extra money for business class seats on the flights. Has anyone had experience with flying business class using a cruise line's flight program?

Thank you so much,

Ray

Old August 29th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

On our last river cruise (May), we decided to upgrade to business class for the trip over, but not for the trip back. When traveling to Europe, I want to sleep. When I'm coming back, I want to stay awake. For me this is the best jet-lag prevention option. So business class wasn't essential for the trip home.

I'm an American Airlines frequent flyer, so I booked American flights using Viking's custom air and made sure that I had exit row seats (MUCH more leg room). I applied to American for business class on the way over, and for some combination of dollars and miles, I got upgraded a couple of months before the trip.

The AA flight from DFW to LHR had lie flat seats. With the seats and an Ambien I slept well! Interestingly, the upgrade did not include 1st/business class on the British Air flight from London to Amsterdam.

Hope this helpful.
OkieCruiser49

Old August 29th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

We done 5 river cruises and always fly coach. Most flights from the east coast are 5 to 6 hours. Price for business class could run at least $3,000 or more for each. For only that short of a time I would rather put that money into another trip next year. Willard

Old August 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

We fly either business or premium economy depending on the airline and what's available. Business class is the same whether booked by you or through the cruise line. Always price it yourself through the airline as you may get better flight times and prices booking yourself.

Old August 29th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieCruiser49 View Post
Interestingly, the upgrade did not include 1st/business class on the British Air flight from London to Amsterdam.
British Airways, or BA, or we'll start calling AA, American Air

No surprise on the lack of upgrade, even though AA and BA are part of OneWorld, an upgrade on one doesn't carry over onto the other.

You didn't miss much though, BA European flights just block out the middle seat in 'business' other than that the seats are no better and the flights generally are so short you don't miss much on the service either.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

There's a United Amex card that allows you to book one business class seat and get the companion ticket "free". This is how we are going to China from the east coast (13 hours). On the companion ticket, we had to pay taxes and airport fees, so it's not quite "free" but pretty close. We got the 2 business class tickets for aboout $1K more than 2 economy plus seats through the cruise line. This was both ways, with lie-down seats.

It also gets you access to the United airport lounges. This has been great for us. However, the only downside is that when you call United, very few of their customer service people know how this works and it can take a lot of time on hold while the representative checks with their support staff, but if you're patient, it can be worthwhile. (None of this can go through the cruise line company - it only works if you go through United itself.)
2010 - Viking Treasures of the Rhine
2012 - Princess Eastern Carribean
June 2012 - Uniworld Waterways of Russia
January 2013 - Princess Southern Caribbean
October 2013 - Imperial China and the Yangtze
April 2014 - Viking Chateaux & Southern France

Upcoming Cruises:
April 2015 - Viking Star, Empire maiden voyage

Old August 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had considered the river cruise company's airfare with an upgrade to Bus. Class but our TA called and said she could do SOOO much better for us…and she did! She was able to reserve the seats many months before the cruise line would do it, so we got good seat choices, too. We're going Bus. Class both ways since I have knee replacements…I come out better being able to put my legs up periodically.
So…check with your TA about this (mine actually called me after we had initially booked EconomyPlus and said she could get me Bus. Class for one leg for $175 more pp…did I want to do that? ;-) YUP! And so it began...

http://www.quiltingjan.smugmug.com recent travel photos

Jan. 21, 2014 Veendam Caribbean 21 days
Sept. 8, 2013 Viking Skadi 14 days River Cruise, Budapest to Amsterdam
March 30, 2013 Oosterdam NZ, AU, Pacific Island, HI to Seattle 37 days
April 27, 2012 Panama Canal Cruise, FL to San Diego on the Statendam 16 days (4* Mariners!!!!)
January 6, 2012 Veendam Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, including "drive by" of Antarctica (and side trip to Iguazu Falls) 18 days
May 13, 2011 Prinsendam Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam and Nordkapp 45 days
Aug. 19, 2010 Eurodam Amsterdam to NYC via North 18 days
Sept. 17, 2008 Zuiderdam Mediterranean 24 days
May 25, 2008 Volendam Alaska Southbound 7 days
May 16, 2008 Veendam Alaska Northbound 7 days
Aug. 3, 2005 Volendam Alaska Glacier Bay 7 days
Feb. 5, 2000 Ryndam Western Caribbean 7 days
Nov. 28, 1994 Maasdam Panama Canal 14 days
Feb. 2, 1994 Maasdam Western Caribbean 10 days

Old August 29th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

BEWARE - once you fly in business you will NEVER go back

Years ago I upgraded (with my points) on a long international flight (11 hrs) with BA - I have never looked back.

Of course I don't fly with American airlines - BA, Virgin or Air NZ.

For me, completely worth it.

Have a great time!

Old August 29th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

We always fly Business class now. We flew MEL to YYZ earlier this year - 28 hours door to door.

Next year we will be flying to London. Looking at a minimum of 22 hrs.

We really need a couple of pre cruise or tour days to recover.

email Stratheden

HAL Ms Zuiderdam Alaska 05/25/2013
Scenic Jade - Jewels of Europe 09/17/2014
Scenic Gem - Gems of the Seine 10/06/2014
Scenic Emerald - South of France 10/19/2014

Old August 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerchick View Post
BEWARE - once you fly in business you will NEVER go back

For me, completely worth it.
That pretty much sums it up. Pretty much sold on Business for international travel, since flying to Oz/NZ 5 years ago and upgrading as a special treat to ourselves. We find that we can hit the ground running upon arrival rather than spending 2 or 3 days recovering from a red-eye in Economy, where we can't rest very well. That allows us to justify the upcharge, in our minds, at least...

Plus, the absolute worst part of a long trip is coming home. At least in Business, you can look forward to some part of the journey...

Last: Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)

Future:

** Disaster averted! SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015

Past:
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (
photo review)
Avalon Affinity - Danube - Vienna to Passau - June 2013 (flooded! - awesome land trip instead ) (blog)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (
pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (photos)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - December 2009(photos)

Tahitian Princess 8/09; Insignia 11/08; Sea Princess 8/08; Millenium 6/08; Nautica 1/08; Nautica 11/07; Regatta 4/07; Tahitian Princess 1/07; Carnival Spirit 8/06; Insignia 5/06; etc...

Old August 29th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks to All

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this subject. The response has been terrific. I suspect our decision will be to go with the Busines Class......Again, thanks to all that have taken the time to respond.

Ray

Old August 29th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We have got a free companion certificate on British Airways, so Business Class takes the same miles as 2 coach seats.
We love BA, not only for the lie flat beds, but for the Business Class lounges.
Neither of us will see 60 again, and those 10 hour coach flights are really brutal on us.

Ray, if you are going out of LAX, the BA lounge in the Bradley terminal is great!

Last edited by Talisker92; August 29th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Old August 29th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

So agree coolerchick!

We flew first class to and from Portugal for our recent Douro River cruise and it will be hard going back to the "cattle" section. We got an upgrade from the airline - we would not have paid for such a luxury as we would prefer to save our pennies for another trip.

I am picky about our seats, so I alway reserve in advance even if it means an additional cost.

Last edited by TravelBugM; August 29th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

Old August 29th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's true: once you fly business class you won't fly anything else to Europe or Asia. Our first time was EgyptAir to Cairo and we were hooked! We fly Lufthansa from NY and you could have to add 4 hours to our 7 from west coast. One thing that hasn't been mentioned, well two actually, is use of the business class lounge with it's free food and comfy seating while waiting to board and the separate line through security with little or no waiting and the lie flat seats, and the free wine.....ok that's more than two but you get the idea!

Old August 29th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

My OH says a monster was created when I started flying business class.

OMG TraveBugM - THAT'S what I call it too - "cattle"

The lounges are lovely. And you get to stay there right up to boarding time.

And yes, the lovely drinks - even once on board and they wait until the last minute before taking your glass away. Very worth it for long flights.

Last edited by coolerchick; August 29th, 2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old August 29th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

As it takes us over 30+ hours to get from Australia to Europe we saved an extra year to fly Business Class for the first time in 2011 and it was worth it. We got to sleep for the first time ever on an international flight and our jet lag was not as pronounced. With that in mind we again saved for an extra year and we'll be off to Europe again in 2014.

If we lived on the East Coast of the U.S. with only a 5-6 hour flight we would probably fly economy.

Old August 29th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

We live in the NYC area and the shortest flight is to Heathrow at 6 hrs 40 minutes. Wondering which cities will get you over the Atlantic in 5 to 6 hrs?

Old August 29th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozjohnno View Post
As it takes us over 30+ hours to get from Australia to Europe we saved an extra year to fly Business Class for the first time in 2011 and it was worth it. We got to sleep for the first time ever on an international flight and our jet lag was not as pronounced. With that in mind we again saved for an extra year and we'll be off to Europe again in 2014.

If we lived on the East Coast of the U.S. with only a 5-6 hour flight we would probably fly economy.
No, you wouldn't...it's too late for you, you've already flown business class

Old August 29th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipmom View Post
We live in the NYC area and the shortest flight is to Heathrow at 6 hrs 40 minutes. Wondering which cities will get you over the Atlantic in 5 to 6 hrs?
Iceland is about 5.5 hours from JFK and well worth the trip! If you've never been, I recommend it, it's gorgeous. Of course, that's assuming that you like fantastic scenery, waterfalls, geysers and night-life! Not to mention the absolutely mind-blowing though man-made Blue Lagoon.

Old August 29th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

We returned from our river cruise about 10 days ago. We flew business class on Delta both ways. We booked our own flights. While the economy fares with Vantage were competitive with what we could book on our own, the business fares were not. Vantage wanted $1100 pp more for business class than what we got on our own. For us, business class was worth the price since we fly from Seattle.