Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:46 AM
Superpowers810's Avatar
Superpowers810 Superpowers810 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 58
Default Caribbean vs Alaska in July

Hiya.

We're going to book a cruise sometime next year in June or July and not sure where to go. It's our first cruise.

What would be better? We really aren't sure what we're looking for. I've heard Alaska will have less kids during the Summer months and looks like it would have much more beautiful landscapes.

Last edited by Superpowers810; September 2nd, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:42 AM
Keith1010 Keith1010 is online now
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 63,753
Default

The Caribbean is not very popular in the summer time so there are far less sailings there in July versus say in the fall and winter and spring months. Some of the ships are moved to Alaska which is very popular in the summer months. While you will see less children on Alaska cruises than in the Caribbean there still will be children on board in the summer months.

Alaska is certainly very beautiful and I would highly recommend it. There is a lot to see and do.

You might want to visit the Alaska Ports Of Call Board to get ideas for Alaska to get ideas.

Cruise lines that have been sailing Alaska for many years now include Princess, Celebrity and Holland although several other lines sail the area.

Keith
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:19 AM
Superpowers810's Avatar
Superpowers810 Superpowers810 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1010 View Post
The Caribbean is not very popular in the summer time so there are far less sailings there in July versus say in the fall and winter and spring months. Some of the ships are moved to Alaska which is very popular in the summer months. While you will see less children on Alaska cruises than in the Caribbean there still will be children on board in the summer months.

Alaska is certainly very beautiful and I would highly recommend it. There is a lot to see and do.

You might want to visit the Alaska Ports Of Call Board to get ideas for Alaska to get ideas.

Cruise lines that have been sailing Alaska for many years now include Princess, Celebrity and Holland although several other lines sail the area.

Keith
Thanks.


Cruises are so expensive in July but it's the only time we can go .

We will probably take a 5 day Caribbean cruise on RCI and even its over our budget.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:20 AM
Starlaker's Avatar
Starlaker Starlaker is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 567
Default

Personally I would go for Alaska. Absolutely beautiful scenery and a very relaxing and enjoyable cruise.
__________________


Previous cruises:
Carnival Inspiration -W. Caribbean '02
Carnival Victory - E. Caribbean '03
Carnival Glory - W. Caribbean '04
Carnival Valor - E. Caribbean '05
Diamond Princess - Alaska '06
Crown Princess - Baltic '08
Sapphire Princess - Mexico '09
Coral Princess - Alaska '09
NCL Pride of America - Hawaii '09
Island Princess - Panama Canal '10
Oceania Regatta - Amazon '10
Caribbean Princess - British Isles/TA '12
Crown Princess - W. Caribbean '13
Grand Princess - Hawaii '13

Last edited by Starlaker; September 2nd, 2013 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Error
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Scrapnana's Avatar
Scrapnana Scrapnana is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,468
Default

It is going to be very hot in the Caribbean in July if you like that kind of weather. In July, I would head for Alaska. In the summer you are going to have kids on board wherever you cruise (fewer on longer cruises) but many ships have adult areas for you to get away.
__________________
Evangeline - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - 1962
Queen Mary - 1962
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014






World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
marco marco is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 3,287
Default

Which is BETTER is only something you can decide. Totally, totally different. The weather, sites, activities, experiences they can't be compared to each other. Kind of like if someone was asking which is a 'better" land vacation, Europe or Asia.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
skandls skandls is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: California
Posts: 3,242
Default

Alaska has much better weather in July than the Caribbean (too hot and humid). Price out the cost of flying to Seattle or Vancouver vs. Florida. You maybe able to do a 7 night instead of a 5 night - there are several cruises that go round trip from Seattle and Vancouver.
__________________
Celebrity - Summit, Century, Mercury, Constellation, Solstice
HAL - Rotterdam
Princess - Diamond, Dawn, Island
Crystal - Harmony
Cunard - QE2
RCCL - Nordic Prince, Song of Norway, Monarch, Vision, Navigator, Radiance,
..... Grandeur, Freedom, Mariner, Liberty, Oasis, Allure
Carnival - Tropical , Paradise
Avalon - Poetry (riverboat)
A&K - Lafayette (barge)
Seabourn - Pride
Oceania - Insignia, Marina
coming up Oasis and Solstice
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
navybankerteacher navybankerteacher is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,329
Default

Alaska is something worth seeing. In July there are many ships sailing from Seattle, Vancouver and other ports, while there are few ships sailing the Caribbean in July - where it is very hot and humid, and the ships will be crowded with young children -- cheaper, perhaps, but you get what you pay for.
__________________
Six US Navy ships, (1960-1970)
20+ cruises: Furness Bermuda (1), Orient (1), Holland America (9), Norwegian (5), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (1), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1953-2013)
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:49 PM
texasnana's Avatar
texasnana texasnana is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 711
Default

Just back from Alaska we went early August. The weather was rather warm and the animals were not as active. I known folks that went in june/july other yrs and were very cold and rainy. I is hard to say what the weather is like. As for children there were a lot on the cruise as it was vacation time and a cheap cruise out of Vancouver /Seattle. For the cruise tour we had one child but I did see a lot of children in Fairbanks, Whitehorse and Denali.
__________________
Mariner of the Seas 11/02/2012 (TA cruise)
Mariner of the Seas 01/15/2012 ( Anniversary Cruise)
Carnival Ecstacy 05/28/2011 (Family Vacation)
Carnival Glory 10/09/2010
Voyager of the Sea 1/31/2010 ( Anniversary cruise)
Spendour of the Seas 1/25/2007
Carnival Cruise 01/2001
Carnival Cruise 05/1993




[
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Karysa Karysa is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapnana View Post
It is going to be very hot in the Caribbean in July if you like that kind of weather. In July, I would head for Alaska. In the summer you are going to have kids on board wherever you cruise (fewer on longer cruises) but many ships have adult areas for you to get away.

It was 40 celcius the week of July 14 th in Toronto this year and it was no hotter than 32 celcius during our July 13-28 Southern Caribbean cruise and St. Maarten vacation.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
pkay414 pkay414 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 79
Default

Haven't read the replies so hope I'm not duplicating. One thing you need to keep in mind with a Caribbean cruise in July is hurricane season. You'll be smack-dab in the middle of it. That can mean that the itinerary you think you're going to be going on will change very last minute. Also, you would need to be aware of what airport/port you fly into and out of. If it's a bad enough hurricane, you might not be able to fly out of the airport or not have a car if you're parked at a port.

That is not said to frighten you away from cruising the Caribbean -- I grew up in hurricane country and as frightening as they can be, the really big bad ones are not all that common. But it is something you need to take into consideration -- and you'd have to be flexible. The cruise line is going to change their itinerary to go around a storm so you might lose different ports, et cetera.

That being said if I had the opportunity to go to Alaska again, I'd go but it's very easy for me to get a Caribbean cruise at any time of the year I want so that's a little unfair for me to say But that's also another consideration: You can only cruise Alaska at certain times during the year -- May through September, I think. So you could always do Alaska during hurricane season and the Caribbean outside of hurricane season.
__________________


November, 2010 - Splendour of the Seas (Greek Isles)
July, 2008 - Grandeur of the Seas (New England/Canada)
July, 2006 - Voyager of the Seas (Mediterranean)
July, 2005 - NCL - (Alaska)
March, 2001 - Princess (Caribbean)
Fall, 1994 - Royal Caribbean (Pacific)
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
dorisis's Avatar
dorisis dorisis is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,372
Default

Since you live in California, Alaska would not cost as much in airfare and maybe you could take a cruise with a short land tour. Denali is a special area of Alaska.
__________________
~Doris~
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
Krazy Kruizers's Avatar
Krazy Kruizers Krazy Kruizers is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 87,804
Default

My vote is Alaska.

Have been there may times and love it.
__________________
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Far, far too many cruises to list.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
NoobCruise's Avatar
NoobCruise NoobCruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,016
Default

Alaska is amazing! I want to go again! Make sure you have Glacier Bay on your itinerary! There's a reason it's a National Park! The scenery is just mind blowing! If you're interested, I did a trip report last year. unfortunately, I started it before I figured out how to embed large photos in the post, but I got it figured out before I started posting Glacier Bay:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1705322
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
maddycat's Avatar
maddycat maddycat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,002
Default

If, as you previously stated, you are on a tight budget do not book an Alaska cruise. You cannot appreciate Alaska unless you go on excursions in each port and the excursions are expensive. In the Caribbean you do not need to pay for excursions. You can get off the ship and take a cab to a beach.

Remember that cruises are almost all inclusive. You will have to pay for gratuities. Everything else is optional (drinks, gambling, excursions, spa treatments, specialty restaurants).
__________________
Madeline
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:12 PM
NoobCruise's Avatar
NoobCruise NoobCruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddycat View Post
If, as you previously stated, you are on a tight budget do not book an Alaska cruise. You cannot appreciate Alaska unless you go on excursions in each port and the excursions are expensive. In the Caribbean you do not need to pay for excursions. You can get off the ship and take a cab to a beach.

Remember that cruises are almost all inclusive. You will have to pay for gratuities. Everything else is optional (drinks, gambling, excursions, spa treatments, specialty restaurants).
That's not true at all. While the excursions are amazing, there are still lots of things to see in each port without spending a dime, or just for minimal costs. For one, the scenery while on the ship is worth the cruise alone, particularly Glacier Bay. I would still enjoy an Alaskan cruise even if we skipped every port. There are usually self-guided walking tours of historical sites you can do on your own without spending a dime. We thoroughly enjoyed walking through the Alaskan Historical Park in Sitka and along the Inner Harbor Path in Victoria without spending a dime. If you like hiking, there are hikes in every port. And there's always exploring the touristy shops in every port. It may not your ideal dream vacation or what you would really prefer to do in each port, but you can certainly still have a great time, without spending much money. JMO

Last edited by NoobCruise; September 2nd, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:21 PM
Karysa Karysa is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkay414 View Post
Haven't read the replies so hope I'm not duplicating. One thing you need to keep in mind with a Caribbean cruise in July is hurricane season. You'll be smack-dab in the middle of it. That can mean that the itinerary you think you're going to be going on will change very last minute. Also, you would need to be aware of what airport/port you fly into and out of. If it's a bad enough hurricane, you might not be able to fly out of the airport or not have a car if you're parked at a port.

That is not said to frighten you away from cruising the Caribbean -- I grew up in hurricane country and as frightening as they can be, the really big bad ones are not all that common. But it is something you need to take into consideration -- and you'd have to be flexible. The cruise line is going to change their itinerary to go around a storm so you might lose different ports, et cetera.

That being said if I had the opportunity to go to Alaska again, I'd go but it's very easy for me to get a Caribbean cruise at any time of the year I want so that's a little unfair for me to say But that's also another consideration: You can only cruise Alaska at certain times during the year -- May through September, I think. So you could always do Alaska during hurricane season and the Caribbean outside of hurricane season.
I thought hurricane season ran from June to the beginning of December and that late August through to the end of October is the most active time. Is this not correct?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.