Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old September 11th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default RCI Freedom of the Seas Adventure Ocean questions/experiences

So I'm looking specifically at the FOS Adventure Ocean program reviews/experiences.

I've seen one review (another website) that did not sound very good at all (although the 'latest" was in 2011). Something about all they did was read books to kids ages 3-5 and yell at them if they didn't sit still and listen quietly (which, if they've ever run into a 3-year old is NOT in their ability to do--haha).

Thanks!

We'll be on the Jan 5, 2014 FOS western caribbean, so I have no idea if that makes a difference.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:27 PM
50,000+ Club

AO is highly regarded and enjoyed by the majority of kids! No worries! There is plenty for the kids to do, and the activites are not what you've been reading about!

Old September 12th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Checkout Michele's (Crusinmama06) photobucket website. She has Adventure Ocean Compasses which show the activities for each age group.

http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

1962 PT 73 - South Pacific and Italy

Old September 12th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
Checkout Michele's (Crusinmama06) photobucket website. She has Adventure Ocean Compasses which show the activities for each age group.

Thanks everyone! Makes me feel more at ease.

We'll see how the 3-year old deals with not being with mom and dad, though (he does fine at daycare at home, but not necessarily in strange places)

But nothing RCI can do about that (haha)

Old September 12th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

We tried the Neverland Club at Disney last year with our 3 y/o, and he loved it - we were at dinner feeling guilty about putting him in, only to find out he was having more fun at the club than when he was with mom and dad...lol

But go to the open house on day 1, and this will give you and him a chance to see the club and meet the staff. You may be able to better gauge if he will want to go back or not. And I thought for the little guys, there were a few parent/child activities planned throughout the week. Those would be perfect if he does not want to go by himself.

Good luck and happy cruise

RCCL Grandeur of the Seas (6 days to Bermuda) Review AO Daily Planners

Old September 12th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Freedom of the Seas about a month and a half ago. My 3-year old LOVED the Adventure Ocean Aquanauts club. He rushed through breakfast and begged us to take him there every morning. They do a lot more than just read books. They have times to play and run around the place, they do games with prizes(I think they give all of them prizes) they do little experiments, paint, do arts and crafts... And the ladies that work there are absolutely exceptional! They treat the kids like they were part of their family. We were very pleased.

Old September 15th, 2013, 11:08 AM
10,000+ Club

Yeah when my daughter was 3 on Freedom - that was her bday cruise. She didn't exactly love story time. There was a HUGE ship slide in the room and she kept leading the rest of the kids down the ship slide and the brand new AO counselor kept yelling at her for it and giving her "Strikes". So I had a little conversation with the head of AO and problem was solved.

I mean - what 3 year old is going to sit down for story time and ignore the GIANT ship slide? So we had to come to a little understanding on the ship and once we did - all was well.

That was 6 years ago and many RCI sailings later and I can't drag that same child kicking, screaming OR injured (yes - she was injured once in AO during a rather rough game of steal the bacon and required X-rays - she wanted to go right back) out of Adventure Ocean.

My girls love the program.

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....