Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old September 12th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What kind of weather to expect on a Danube cruise in October?

I'm sure lots of experienced river cruisers out there who can tell me what kind of weather typically to expect on a Danube river cruise mid- to late-October?? I know weather patterns have been crazy, but I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiKruiser View Post
I'm sure lots of experienced river cruisers out there who can tell me what kind of weather typically to expect on a Danube river cruise mid- to late-October?? I know weather patterns have been crazy, but I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
I like www.weatherbase.com to determine the average highs, lows and precipitation.
Felicia

Old September 13th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Or take a look at AccuWeather.com. Here is Vienna. You can look at October forecast for this year or look at actual October weather from last year. Or put in the name of another city if you like.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/at/vie...forecast/31868

Royal Caribbean Voyageur of the Seas, April 2004 - Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas, April 2003 - NCL Norwegian Sun, March 2002 - Celebrity Cruises Century, August 1999 - Admiral Cruise Lines Emerald Seas, July 1988

Old September 13th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile October weather

I normally travel end of October to mid November and the weather is absolutely beautiful. Very little or no rain. There are days that it is freezing and then there are days that are so warm that you only need a vest on the upper deck. Weather is so unpredictable these days.

11/14 Viking Hermod - Portraits of Southern France
11/13 Viking Prestige - Vineyards & Vistas / Trier to Bamberg
11/12 Viking Odin - Romantic Danube / Budapest to Nuremberg
11/11 Viking Schumann - Elegant Elbe / Prague to Berlin
10/10 Viking Sun - Rhine Getaway / Amsterdam to Basel (Lucerne)
11/09 Viking Pride - Romantic Danube / Nuremberg to Vienna
8/09 RCCL Explorer of the Seas / Bermuda
8/07 RCCL Western Caribbean
8/06 RCCL Spendour of the Seas /Greek Isles
6/05 RCCL Navigator of the Seas /Western Caribbean
6/04 RCCL Adventure of the Seas /Eastern Caribbean
6/03 CCL - Zenith /Bermuda
6/02 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas / Mediterrean

Old September 13th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is a great site to check the weather for an upcoming cruise. It gives the weather for each port. Only has cruises that are 30 days or less from sailing.

www.cruiseoutlook.com

Old September 14th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Cruiser View Post
Or take a look at AccuWeather.com. Here is Vienna. You can look at October forecast for this year or look at actual October weather from last year. Or put in the name of another city if you like.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/at/vie...forecast/31868
Cary, this is a good website! It can give extended forecasts further into the future than any others I've seen.

Plus, I especially like that it's saying sunny while I'm in Budapest! LOL
Felicia

Old September 15th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Weather can be all over the map...

We did Budapest to Nuremberg with AMA about 4 years ago in early October. It was short/t-shirt weather in Budapest (28 degrees C.), and stayed that way until after we had been to Durnstein and Melk. Weather became rainy, then then cold. It made the tours unpleasant in Regensburg (lots of rain, temperature not too bad....) and miserable in Nuremberg (less rain, but very cold).

Prague was even colder - and it snowed the morning we left. I dragged my DH into a Marks and Spencer store on Wensceslas Square in Prague so that I could buy a warmer coat!!!

Fran

Old September 16th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile October Danube Temperatures

I have sailed on the Danube twice in late October and because it can be quite chilly in Prague, have taken the Prague-Nuremburg-Budapest route going South both times. That way, I could start out with a light but warm coat (layers are the way to go!) and needed only a lightweight woolen jacket or sweater by the time we got to Budapest. Gorgeous mostly sunny autumn days and beautiful colors all along the way ... cold on deck at times, but great walking weather. I have written detailed accounts of my trips (AmaCello and AmaLyra) so you can read more if you are interested. Have a wonderful cruise!

Linda
Grandeur Mediterranean 7/01
Galaxy Caribbean 2/02
Grandeur Mexican Riviera 8/02
Radiance Caribbean 2/03
Grandeur Caribbean 11/03
Constellation Caribbean 12/04
Norwegian Spirit Caribbean 1/05
Lirica Western Med 10/05
Century Caribbean 12/05
Century Caribbean 11/07
Norwegian Spirit Caribbean 12/06
Norwegian Sun Alaska 08/07
Millennium Transatlantic 12/07
Century Mediterranean 11/08
Explorer Caribbean 1/09
Century Caribbean 2/09
Solstice Eastern Med 11/09
Norwegian Sun South America 1/10
Summit Canada & New Eng. 8/10
AMACELLO Danube 10/10
Carnival Liberty Caribbean 1/11
Nieuw Amsterdam Caribbean 1/11
Norwegian EPIC Caribbean 1/11
Norwegian Jewel Florida & Bahamas 3/11
AMALYRA Danube 10/11
Norwegian Pearl Caribbean 1/12
Celebrity Reflection 12/12
Norwegian EPIC Caribbean 2/13
Norwegian Breakaway 5/13
Norwegian Breakway Bermuda 6/13
Royal Princess 10/13
Norwegian Getaway Caribbean 2/14

Old September 16th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default THANKS everyone!

... for your great replies. Especially the links to the weather websites. Very helpful. I am now rethinking August, I don't want to have to worry about cold , especially if I want to bike ride on the cruise as well. Better make up my mind soon!!!

Old September 16th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

We live in Ft. Lauderdale and leave for Prague Oct. 29 and get on the boat in Nuremburg Nov. 2 heading toward Budapest. I an R E A L L Y looking forward to the cool weather. 50 F during the day and 40 F at night will be cold weather for us - we had to go out and buy coats for the trip because it never gets that cold in South Florida.

Royal Caribbean Voyageur of the Seas, April 2004 - Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas, April 2003 - NCL Norwegian Sun, March 2002 - Celebrity Cruises Century, August 1999 - Admiral Cruise Lines Emerald Seas, July 1988

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Near Crescent City, Del Norte County, California ... in the Redwood Forest
Default Well, last year ....

We cruised on AmaLegro from Budapest to Nürnberg (with add-on to Prague) last October. We spent several days in Budapest prior to the cruise, with a mix of nice days and one blustery day, and a spot of showers. We sailed on October 18, a day late due to closure of the river due to the finding of an unexploded WWII bomb under one of the suburban Budapest bridges. There were some disappointments, but on the plus side, it meant we did a daylight sailing through The Bend of the Danube, and were rewarded with stunning fall color in the trees.
It was cool and breezy most days and quite chilly at night. It did get cooler as we traveled north. There was very little time spent on board during the day, so it was OK that it wasn't warm enough to take the sun on the top deck. Cool sun in Vienna and Bratislava, a bit showery in Dürnstein, sunny in Salzburg, nice in Melk ... the bike riders had a good day..., nice in Regensburg and mixed sun and clouds in Nürnberg. The weather didn't stop us from doing anything, and again, the fall color along the river and around the towns was spectacular. It was mixed sun and clouds for our day's drive to Prague, by way of Karlovy Vary, which was very nice. Lunch in KV was at a covered outdoor cafe huddling next to gas heaters. A great sunny but cool couple of days in Prague, but it was snowing the morning we flew out, 27 October. So overall, it was cold for anyone from Florida, almost normal for us from the northernmost coastal corner of California, and standard autumn for most other folks.

The season does mean that everything is much less crowded, so it is a good time to go.

Completed:
1994- a small "gulet" on the Turkish Coast, 7 nights
1997- Carnival "Tropicale" Caribbean 7 nights
2003- Princess "Star Princess" L.A.-Mexico 7-nights
2004- Princess "Island Princess" FLL-Panama 10-nights
2006- Princess "Diamond Princess" Sydney-Auckland 12-nights
2007- Princess "Golden Princess" Valparaiso (Santiago Chile)-San Francisco 23-nights
2007- Princess "Pacific Princess" Vancouver-Alaska 7+6 nights rail tour
2009- "M/S Nile Sapphire" 4-night Luxor-Aswan
2009- NCL "Norwegian Jade" Barcelona-W.Med/Atlantic -and- Barcelona-E.Med. ( back-to-back) 21-nights
2010- NCL-A "Pride of America" Hawaii 7-Nights - RSVP Charter
2011- RCI "Serenade of the Seas" 7-night Southern Caribbean - Atlantis Events Charter
2011 - DFDS Seaways "Crown of Scandinavia" 1-night Oslo-Copenhagen
2011 - NCL "Norwegian Sun" 24-night Baltic Capitals -and- Trans-Atlantic (B2B); Copenhagen to Pt. Canaveral.
2012- AmaWaterways "AmaLegro", Budapest-Prague OCT 17-24. Friends of Dave Group
2012 - RCI "Mariner of the Seas" 16-night Trans-Atlantic, Rome-Galveston
2013 - Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Istanbul-Barcelona, ZAP group, 24APR-4MAY
2014- AmaWaterways "AmaLotus" Cambodia-Mekong River-Vietnam. Friends of Dave Group