Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Roy&Adrian Roy&Adrian is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 54
Default Are we bringing up a bunch of lazy rugrats?

We've just come back from a cruise around the Med. Height of the season, so the Equinox was full of kids, running around, being noisy, doing kid stuff.
Now, I'll admit to being lazy on holiday but I worked hard to pay for this cruise. So imagine my dismay at seeing a pre-teen asking a pool waiter to get him a can of Coke (the drink of a lazy generation).
When I was a kid, I would be the one fetching drinks for my parents - I had more than enough energy to do that stuff. OK, I may have been upset because had the child gone to get his own drink, the pool waiter would have reached my sunlounger and I wouldn't have had to wait another 10 minutes for mine.
Kids today, eh?
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:55 AM
kcwingwalker's Avatar
kcwingwalker kcwingwalker is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,849
Default

The young man was on vacation too and well within his rights to ask the waiter to bring him a soda. Perhaps he did not wish to lose his lounge chair?

We taught our children how to use and receive guest services when we traveled. This is how they learn. Teach your children how to order a meal, how to tip, make a reservation, book a flight, etc. All useful tools when it's time for them to "leave the nest". It's also important to teach them how to handle things when there is a problem. Never argue with staff, simply go to a manager and state your case truthfully and politely.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:01 PM
marco marco is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 3,170
Default

I thought no matter what one's age, if you're a passenger and you want a beverage, you order it from a waiter and he/she brings it to you at your seat or table....no? Most cruises I've been on, if you are sitting in a lounger around the pool, there's usually wait staff coming by almost TOO frequently soliciting drink orders.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM
sail7seas sail7seas is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 67,295
Default

Maybe it's my sense of humor , but it seems to me OP may be kidding around with us. Maybe it's a 'tongue in cheek' post?

__________________
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Scrapnana's Avatar
Scrapnana Scrapnana is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
Maybe it's my sense of humor , but it seems to me OP may be kidding around with us. Maybe it's a 'tongue in cheek' post?
I was thinking the same thing.
__________________
Evangeline - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - 1962
Queen Mary - 1962
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014




World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:14 PM
LHT28's Avatar
LHT28 LHT28 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23,236
Wink

some Americans have a hard time with the British sense of humour
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Lionesss's Avatar
Lionesss Lionesss is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: snow :)
Posts: 6,037
Default

After reading the follow up posts I wonder if this is a true concern or not.

HMMMMMM

Maybe it is cultural.

Sea Ya
__________________
SUE


Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Hlitner Hlitner is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: New Cumberland,PA, USA
Posts: 18,556
Default

Always loved the "rugrats' term but think its misplaced by the OP. The kids are paying passengers (although Mom and Dad are paying) just like the grown ups. And when we see how many of the grown-ups can hardly walk around the deck without getting exhausted (we are not the exception) one could make a better case for adults to "walk for their drinks." We have no problem with kids and teens taking advantage of deck service as long as they are always polite to the crew.

Hank
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:11 PM
leaveitallbehind's Avatar
leaveitallbehind leaveitallbehind is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philly burbs, PA
Posts: 6,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
Maybe it's my sense of humor , but it seems to me OP may be kidding around with us. Maybe it's a 'tongue in cheek' post?
I hope so because otherwise I would agree with the others in that all passengers - regardless of age - are entitled to the same level of service. In fact, I think it is better that the youngster asked the waiter for the service instead of going to the adult bar where the service would likely have been from.
__________________
[SIGPIC]

RCI cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
Adventure (twice)
Voyager
Navigator
Liberty
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom - 10/14
Adventure B2B - 6/15 & 7/15

Upcoming:

Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old September 14th, 2013, 01:16 PM
boogs's Avatar
boogs boogs is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Jose, Calif
Posts: 3,506
Default

Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Ashland Ashland is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern California by way of Kentucky
Posts: 12,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28 View Post
some Americans have a hard time with the British sense of humour
Hmmm...My DSIL is British and she has assured us they have none
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Keith1010 Keith1010 is online now
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 62,401
Default

You know the younger generations are always spoiled.

But come to think of it we were all part of a younger generation. At least some of us were.

Keith
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old September 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM
boogs's Avatar
boogs boogs is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Jose, Calif
Posts: 3,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1010 View Post
You know the younger generations are always spoiled.

But come to think of it we were all part of a younger generation. At least some of us were.

Keith
Considering I can afford to cruise on a regular basis, I would say that I am STILL spoiled.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old September 14th, 2013, 06:13 PM
rexymeow's Avatar
rexymeow rexymeow is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogs View Post
considering i can afford to cruise on a regular basis, i would say that i am still spoiled. :d
Amen to that! ME TOO.
__________________


Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old September 14th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Keith1010 Keith1010 is online now
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 62,401
Default

Often children do not grow up. LOL.

Keith
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Lovely other's Avatar
Lovely other Lovely other is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 339
Default

well i'm british with what i hope is a good sense of humour but i didn't get the joke ...i think the slight humour was tagged on the end as an afterthought so not to sound like a grumpy git.

i don't see the problem with children ordering a drink from a waiter poolside. a fare is charged for them too so what's the issue. i have however seen a few adults where getting up of their bums would do them some good
__________________
10-09-2013 Noordam
12-22-2013 Rotterdam




Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old September 14th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Donna's Dad's Avatar
Donna's Dad Donna's Dad is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 907
Talking Manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwingwalker View Post
The young man was on vacation too and well within his rights to ask the waiter to bring him a soda. Perhaps he did not wish to lose his lounge chair?

We taught our children how to use and receive guest services when we traveled. This is how they learn. Teach your children how to order a meal, how to tip, make a reservation, book a flight, etc. All useful tools when it's time for them to "leave the nest". It's also important to teach them how to handle things when there is a problem. Never argue with staff, simply go to a manager and state your case truthfully and politely.
How about manners??

Cato

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA
2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.
3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.
4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)
5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning
6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.
7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning
8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning
9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning
10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B
12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning
14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.
We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines
16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.
17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean
19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL
20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier
21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York
22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.
23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA
24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver
25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.


Future & Hopeful Cruises !
( Already booked )

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New Yoek
.27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.
28th cruise - Caribbean Princess, 29 Mar. - 05 Apr. 2014, 7 Day, Western Caribbean, Houston Ret.
29th cruise - Regal Princess, 02 June - 19 June, 2014, Venice - Barcelona, - Venice 17 days
30th cruise - Royal Princess, 10 - 27 Sep. 2014 TA Copenhagen - New York
31th cruise - Royal Princess 19 - 29 Dec, 2014, Christmas, Fort Lauderdale Ret.
32nt cruise - Royal Princess 29 Dec - 08 Jan. 2014/2015, New Years, Fort Lauderdale. Ret.


Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old September 14th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Ehpride's Avatar
Ehpride Ehpride is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,815
Default

OP, if you aren't joking, at what age do you find it acceptable to order from a bar waiter? I don't care the age of the person as long as they're polite and say please and thank you!
__________________
Inspiration 1/2/06 - First cruise!
Carnival Legend 10/28/07 - Halloween on the high seas.
Carnival Legend 1/25/09 - Mom's birthday trip and first balcony cabin.
Carnival Legend 10/24/10 - Halloween x2!
Carnival Legend 1/27/13 - Upgrade to an extended balcony
Carnival Glory 11/1/14 - New adventures await!

Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:21 PM
LHT28's Avatar
LHT28 LHT28 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23,236
Default Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna's Dad View Post
How about manners??

Cato

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA
2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.
3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.
4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)
5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning
6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.
7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning
8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning
9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning
10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B
12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning
14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.
We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines
16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.
17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean
19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL
20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier
21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York
22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.
23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA
24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver
25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.


Future & Hopeful Cruises !
( Already booked )

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New Yoek
.27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.
28th cruise - Caribbean Princess, 29 Mar. - 05 Apr. 2014, 7 Day, Western Caribbean, Houston Ret.
29th cruise - Regal Princess, 02 June - 19 June, 2014, Venice - Barcelona, - Venice 17 days
30th cruise - Royal Princess, 10 - 27 Sep. 2014 TA Copenhagen - New York
31th cruise - Royal Princess 19 - 29 Dec, 2014, Christmas, Fort Lauderdale Ret.
32nt cruise - Royal Princess 29 Dec - 08 Jan. 2014/2015, New Years, Fort Lauderdale. Ret.


Just curious why you post all your past & future cruise in the message???

Most people put them in their signature box
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old September 15th, 2013, 12:13 AM
leaveitallbehind's Avatar
leaveitallbehind leaveitallbehind is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philly burbs, PA
Posts: 6,984
Default

I always find it interesting - and suspect of the legitimacy of the post - when an OP starts a thread with pointed subject matter (or at least that which would elicit specific and opinionated responses) and then never returns to address any of the comments.
__________________
[SIGPIC]

RCI cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
Adventure (twice)
Voyager
Navigator
Liberty
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom - 10/14
Adventure B2B - 6/15 & 7/15

Upcoming:

Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.