Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old September 15th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Why should I switch to Norwegian?

Hubby and I are thinking or giving Norwegian a try. We have only done 2 previous cruises, both on Royal Caribbean. We did the Liberty back in 2008 and the Explorer in March of this year.

Can someone that has done both cruise lines before tell me the pros and cons comparing them?

Old September 15th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

"Why should I switch to Norwegian?"

Just for a change.

We've been on all six major mass market lines and find our preference as follows:

1 - Princess
2 - Holland America
3 - Celebrity
4 - NCL
5 - Royal Caribbean
6 - Carnival

I would suggest you choose on itinerary and price, since there are pluses and minuses on each of the lines and since you didn't really describe much about yourself or your likes and dislikes it's pretty hard to give advice.
CHANDRIS Britanis, 1985 (New York-Bermuda), CHANDRIS Amerikanis, 1986 (New York -Bermuda), CHANDRIS Galileo, 1987 (New York-Bermuda), CHANDRIS Britanis, 1988 (Miami-Western Caribbean), CARNIVAL Festivale, 1989 (Miami-Eastern Caribbean), CARNIVAL Tropicale, 1990 (Puerto Rico-Southern Caribbean), CARNIVAL Fascination, 8/94 (New York-Nova Scotia), CARNIVAL Destiny, 7/97 (Miami-Western Caribbean), CARNIVAL Victory, 9/01 (New York-Nova Scotia), NCL Dawn, 6/03 (New York-Florida-Bahamas), RCCL Serenade OS, 9/03 (New York-Nova Scotia), Sapphire PRINCESS, 10/04 (San Francisco-California-Mexican Riviera), NCL Star, 7/05 (Seattle-Alaska), NCL Star, 11/05 (Los Angeles-Mexican Riviera), Crown PRINCESS, 3/07 (Puerto Rico-Southern Caribbean), CARNIVAL Freedom, 5/08 (Rome-Mediterranean), RCCL Independence OS, 11/08 (Ft. Lauderdale-Mexico), CARNIVAL Dream, 11/09 (New York-Florida-Bahamas), HAL Zuiderdam, 2/10 (Fort Lauderdale-Panama Canal), NCL Pearl, 9/10 (Vancouver-Pacific Northwest-California), CELEBRITY Eclipse, 2/11 (Miami-Eastern Caribbean), Caribbean PRINCESS, 7/11 (New York-Canada-New England), CARNIVAL Magic, 10/11 (Barcelona-Mediterranean), Sapphire PRINCESS, 5/12 (Los Angeles-California Coastal), Caribbean PRINCESS, 10/12 (New York-Canada-New England), NCL Breakaway, 8/13 (New York-Bermuda), Royal PRINCESS, 10/13 (Ft. Lauderdale-Bahamas-Caribbean)

Last edited by nycruise; September 15th, 2013 at 03:34 PM.

Old September 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM
20,000+ Club

I guess my question to you is, why not??
Try them all, then decide which one (or two or three) suit you best.

Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08~ Serenade Of The Seas 9/14
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock

Old September 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Try em all

When I first started cruising I tried all the main stream lines. You will find one or two that suit you best. I have noticed in these tough times with so many new ships to fill, there is less price differential between the lines . A good time to try several.

Last edited by zoncom; September 15th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

Old September 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I sailed Royal, x3, Celebrity x10, Carnival x4 and NCL x12, it is still my favorite cruise line, for price, value and Freestyle.....give it a try you might like it....
Explorer of the Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 5/7/05
Zenith 1/23/06
Norwegian Dawn 10/14/06 Dinner and Dance
Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Spirit 10/13/07 dinner and dance
Norwegian Pearl 10/19/07
Norwegian Spirit 05/11/08
Carnival Pride 11/02/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/29/09
Norwegian Jewel 2/14/10
Radiance of the Sea 11/04/10
Norwegian Epic 04/30/2011
Norwegian Sun 10/15/2011
Norwegian Star 03/23/2012 weekend getaway
Norwegian Dawn 01/27/13
Carnival Sensation 05/19/2013
Norwegian Sky 9/9/2013
Norwegian Jewel 11/17/2013
Latitudes Platinum yay

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 15th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn31708 View Post
Hubby and I are thinking or giving Norwegian a try. We have only done 2 previous cruises, both on Royal Caribbean. We did the Liberty back in 2008 and the Explorer in March of this year.

Can someone that has done both cruise lines before tell me the pros and cons comparing them?
Try it, you'll like it!

Worst that can happen is RCCL is your first choice and NCL is your second. Lots of people sail both lines and are perfectly happy. Many make their choice by $$$ and itinerary and are not loyal to any cruise line.

I know I could be very loyal to Cunard but those darn $$$ keep getting in the way.

Old September 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

The main thing for me is freestyle dining
I usually travel alone and on RC i would constantly be sat with other people for dinner although i insisted i wanted to sit alone and i do not like that

Old September 15th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Nothing is better than freestyle NCL DOES IT BEST!!!!!!!!that being said we did RCL in between our last Ncl cruise now back on Ncl in 6 days and we won't miss RCL one tiny bit

NCL-Gem 21-Aug-2011
Video of Courtyard Villa (Haven) Room # 14508
Review with pics, GEM sailing:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...errerid=539531
NCL-Dawn 2011 Cruise to Nowhere
RCC-Explorer April 2010
NCL-Dawn Feb 2008
CCL-Forget Fall 1995

Old September 15th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

On any given night, you can dine at 5:30 or 8:30 or whenever you feel the urge at several free venues, including a 24 hour restaurant, or at probably 10 other specialty restaurants at minimum for about $20 pp. You can eat in a different venue every night and never see them all.

You can dress up or not depending on how you feel. You can go to the Martini Tasting in the afternoon and then take a nap without worrying about missing your 5:30 seating. No more enduring the Chinese water torture of dining with the same set of strangers every night. You can dine with your own party, or with any of your new friends.

After dinner, NCl entertainment is IMO the best out there, especially the new ships, Epic, Breakaway and Getaway. There is something different going on every night and entertainment all over the ship, not just in the main theatre.

Senior staff are very accessible. Be sure to attend your Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. We have always had great customer service. We have cruised all the mainstream lines, and NCL is at the top in our book.

And if you book a suite, there is no comparison. NCL suite perks can't be beat.

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yep. Relaxing freestyle is the way to go. Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Celebrity Reflection -- 2014
NCL Jewel -- 2013
Sapphire Princess -- 2013
[Norwegian Star -- 2012
[Norwegian Dawn -- 2010, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Norwegian Spirit -- 2007
[]Carribean Princess -- 2004, 2005
Grand Princess -- 2003, 2003
Golden Princess -- 2003, 2003
Royal Carribean Majesty of the Seas -- 2002

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Try it you might like it.

If you are expecting traditional cruising....set dining times and formal nights then switching to freestyle could be difficult

On the other hand if you can adapt to choosing the way you want to cruise you will have a great time

The scuttlebutt from other cruise line boards is NCL nickels and dimes everyone or pushes people to the extra pay restaurants by serving poor quality food in included restaurants. I don't find that to be true. You can pay extra if you want or not. You won't starve either way. There is just as many included restaurants on NCL ships as there are on other cruise lines ships

Future Cruises :

PAST CRUISES :

1) Carnival Freedom - Dec 1-8, 2007 - San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten
2) RCL Radiance of the Seas - Jun 13-20,2008 - Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan
3) Carnival Glory - April 11-18, 2009 - Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten
4) RCL Grandeur of the Seas - Nov 19 - Dec 3, 2009 - Bermuda, Tortola, St Maarten, Curacao, Aruba, Grand Cayman and Cozumel
5) NCL Pearl - Sept 19 - 24, 2010 - Vancouver, Astoria Oregon, San Francisco, LA
6) NCL Pearl - Sept 24 - Oct 8, 2010 - LA, Cabo, Acapulco, Huatulco, Puerto Quetzal Guatemala, Puntarenas Costa Rica, Panama Canal, Cartegena Columbia
7) Carnival Liberty - Oct 9 - 16, 2010 - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica
8) NCL Epic - Jan 11 - 18, 2014 - St Maarten, St Thomas, Nassau
9) NCL Epic - Jan 18 - 25, 2014 - St Maarten, St Thomas, Nassau
10) NCL Pearl - Sept 21 - 28, 2014 - Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default not impressed so.far

I thought - why not try NCL even though many reviews not great ....booked and paid and havent even stepped foot on the ship and must say so disappointed in my dealings with NCL. Tried booking others for part of our B2B - basically got the " what for" for booking through the 1800 number - told should have booked with the certain staff however could not reach her - here I'm appolgizing for bringing business to them. Disapponted communications - no one can give you a local to call - outbound lines vs other numbers - staff cant call.out - i have been disconnected - have waited 30 min while staff waiting to talk to help desk. Sent email - that didnt count when huge price drop - but told if i had a called i would have been given a upgrade etc. Poor communications and poor process. If this just a glimpse of what is in store - - i would say stay with what has been a proven positive experience. Holiday dollars ahould not be spent on frustrating and difficult booking experiences . I have cruised close to.20.times with celibrity rcl holland msc and have yet to.feel the need to.react with a negative.post. will move forward with positive and lowered expectations for this cruise to ensure fun times. Holidays are for fun - will not let the ncl.phone systems and staff stand in way

Last edited by Holidaycraze; September 15th, 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

You guys sure do make a good pitch!

I'm completely baffled by this freestyle concept. On Royal, we chose either early or late seating in the dining room. Or we could go to the buffet, or get pizza and sandwiches in the café. And there were a few pay to go eateries.

What is freestyle all about?

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I found the best way to find out about different cruiselines is to try them for myself.

Haven't had a bad cruise yet on any ship or cruiseline and I'm glad I tried them out.

ENJOY!!

Sailing again soon on:
NCL Gem CTN - RC Quantum of the Seas CTN - NCL Breakaway CTN

Past Cruises:
Carnival Splendor RC Explorer of the SeasNCL Gem ● NCL Breakaway CTN x 2 ● Carnival Glory ● NCL Breakaway Celebrity Equinox ● NCL Jewel CTN ● NCL Gem ● Carnival GloryDisney Magic CTNCarnival Freedom ● Norwegian Star ● Norwegian Gem ● Carnival Miracle CTNCarnival GloryCaribbean Princess repositioning ● Norwegian Jewel CTN ● Carnival LegendCarnival GloryCelebrity SummitIsland Princess through Panama Canal ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Carnival Dream CTNCarnival LibertyCarnival Triumph Carnival Miracle ● Norwegian Dawn ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Emerald PrincessRC Explorer of the SeasCrown PrincessCaribbean PrincessCarnival FantasyCarnival ImaginationCarnival Victory

Last edited by mizlorinj; September 15th, 2013 at 07:50 PM.

Old September 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

I'm completely baffled by this freestyle concept. On Royal, we chose either early or late seating in the dining room. Or we could go to the buffet, or get pizza and sandwiches in the café. And there were a few pay to go eateries.

No set dining times offers a lot of flexibility - no rushing to get ready for dinner after a day in port - tops on my list.

Really looking forward to my first NCL cruise. Something tells me it won't be my last

Comin' up!

Past Cruises

Norwegian Epic - November 16-23, 2013 (St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau) **Review**
Carnival Liberty - December 15-22, 2012 (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman) **Second family cruise**
Carnival Liberty - March 3-10, 2012 (Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) *First family cruise*
Carnival Liberty - November 6-13, 2010 (Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman)
Carnival Valor - November 2-9, 2008 (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten)

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holidaycraze View Post
I thought - why not try NCL even though many reviews not great ....booked and paid and havent even stepped foot on the ship and must say so disappointed in my dealings with NCL. Tried booking others for part of our B2B - basically got the " what for" for booking through the 1800 number - told should have booked with the certain staff however could not reach her - here I'm appolgizing for bringing business to them. Disapponted communications - no one can give you a local to call - outbound lines vs other numbers - staff cant call.out - i have been disconnected - have waited 30 min while staff waiting to talk to help desk. Sent email - that didnt count when huge price drop - but told if i had a called i would have been given a upgrade etc. Poor communications and poor process. If this just a glimpse of what is in store - - i would say stay with what has been a proven positive experience. Holiday dollars ahould not be spent on frustrating and difficult booking experiences . I have cruised close to.20.times with celibrity rcl holland msc and have yet to.feel the need to.react with a negative.post. will move forward with positive and lowered expectations for this cruise to ensure fun times. Holidays are for fun - will not let the ncl.phone systems and staff stand in way
I'm sorry things are not going well for you. Not at all what I would expect from NCL.

Do you have a Personal Cruise Consultant? Here's a link to get you started http://www.ncl.co.uk/personal-cruise-consultants/

Really do hope things can be worked out. Seems like you are off to a rocky staff. But a good PCC can turn things around and FAST.

good luck!

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holidaycraze View Post
I have booked a few cruises with Diane Rizzo, an NCL pcc. She has given us excellent service each time that we dealt with her. Her NCL e-mail address is drizzo@ncl.com.

You are right----holidays are for fun.

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I chose NCL for my first cruise because of freestyle dining. I didn't know what time I was going to be hungry so had no desire to have to pick a particular time to eat! I never eat the same time each day at home so wasn't going to do it on vacation either.

Worked great for us. We ate when we were hungry, not at a particular time of day. Somedays that might have been 6pm. Other days it wasn't until after the late show. Could take a nap if I was tired and not have to set an alarm because I had to be at dinner at a certain time. Some nights we ate the MDR and other nights we would grab a late night dinner at the Blue Lagoon.

06-09-2012 Norwegian Gem First Cruise - Happy Birthday To Me!!

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We enjoy the freestyle concept of NCL. Dine when we're hungry, and with whom we choose. As a group of 3 couples, we usually have our own table.

Also the resort casual dress codes are fine for us. There is no checking for the "suggested or required" costume of the evening. Formal night is listed as Dress up or Not Night, meaning you can leave the suite,tux and gown at home if you so choose.

We do try other lines but NCL is our fave.

Old September 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you - I will try to call this recommended person. Thanks -.