Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old September 16th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Do you have any questions for me?

I'm leaving soon (yippee!) for my river cruise on Viking. Will be on Embla. (Budapest - Bucharest sailing, Passage to Eastern Europe)

If anyone has anything they want me to specially note for them while I'm gone, let me know and I'll do my best.
Felicia

Old September 17th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Felicia --
We'll be on the same cruise in 3 weeks. Can't wait to hear about your experience!

I'll be interested to hear how you make out with all of the different currencies. I admit that's been my main concern and even after reading other's advice (franski was very helpful) I'm a little worried about how that will play out. We plan to get euros at the airport in Frankfurt and then use them for tipping local guides/bus drivers if we don't get currency from an ATM in each country. Let me know how you handle that if you don't mind.

I hope you have an amazing adventure!!

Old September 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky333 View Post
Hi Felicia --

I'll be interested to hear how you make out with all of the different currencies. I admit that's been my main concern and even after reading other's advice (franski was very helpful) I'm a little worried about how that will play out. We plan to get euros at the airport in Frankfurt and then use them for tipping local guides/bus drivers if we don't get currency from an ATM in each country. Let me know how you handle that if you don't mind.
In June we went from Bucharest to Budapest. I was also concerned about the different currencies. Quite frankly, we spent very little money because we had very little free time after the included tours. What I did was change either $10 or $20 in US currency at an exchange kiosk. I wanted some currency from each country to bring home. That worked fine for me. I knew I wasn't getting the best rate, but it was only a small amount of money. I gave the extra as a tip to either the local guide or the bus driver.

We also tipped the local guides and bus drivers in US dollars.

The only place that I used an ATM was in Budapest, and we were there for three nights.

Don't fret over the different currencies, it will all work out.
Have a wonderful trip.

SAILED: Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
SAILED: Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
SAILED: Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
SAILED: AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
SAILED: Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
SAILED
: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
SAILED: Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011. MS River Adagio
SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.
SAILED: Grand Circle's Essence of the Elbe: Hamburg to Prague on the M/S River Allegro on May 27 to June 11, 2012
SAILED: Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn on August 18, 2012. St. Petersburg to Moscow.
SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
SAILED: AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
SAILED: Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
SAILED: Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G __________________________________________

Grand Circle: Burma & the Irrawaddy River with Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat pretrip. 11/25 to 12/16 2014. Ship: RV Paukan

Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay with a pretrip to Maidera. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks H2Otstr. I'm not planning on doing a bunch of shopping so I wouldn't even exchange money or go to an ATM knowing I can use euros or US$ to tip.

Old September 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks H2Otstr. I'm not planning on doing a bunch of shopping so I wouldn't even exchange money or go to an ATM knowing I can use euros or US$ to tip.
I, too have wondered how the situation is going to work out when it comes to tipping. I don't think that it will be a problem, but I will let you know!
Felicia

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 17th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have a great trip! We will also be on the Embla the first week in October. This is our 3rd trip with Viking but our first on the new longships. Enjoy!
Susan

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

5.2011 Viking Emerald/China
2.2011 Carnival Triumph/Mexico
9.2009 Uniworld River Ambassador/Rhine
12.2008 Grand Circle Provence/Saone
12.2006 Grand Circle River Rhapsody/Danube
10.2005 Louis Hellenic Perla/Greece & Turkey
12.2003 M/S World/Egypt

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osnab View Post
I, too have wondered how the situation is going to work out when it comes to tipping. I don't think that it will be a problem, but I will let you know!
Felicia
I get the bank to order some euros in for me before I go an cruise to Europe.

For tipping on Viking you can put it on your credit card at the end of the cruise.

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Cruise Critic Host

The only non-Euro country on our recent Rhine cruise was Switzerland, but maybe this experience will prove true for you too: Euros were accepted universally there. We never felt the need to get Swiss francs.

Also the tour guides were clear that they and the bus drivers are quite happy with US dollars as tips!

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Just completed:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour) --
https://jazzbeauxcamino2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-31-2016
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-11-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-8-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Old September 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Money

Haven't hit other countries yet, but in Hungary, they took forints of course and I noticed some people tipped the guide yesterday and today in dollars. They seemed ok with that.
I noticed some places had the prices in forints and euro. Personally, I'd carry a small amount of forints but mostly euro. And an ATM card
Felicia

Old September 29th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Felicia. We'll plan to get forints at an ATM since we'll be in Hungary a few days but I'm hoping in other countries we might be able to tip local guides in dollars so we don't need to visit ATMs everywhere.

Old September 29th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Now I fully realise that this is going to offend our American posters BUT why do you think it is Ok to tip or buy in your currency in a foreign country. We travelled on the Amsterdam/Budapest trip in 2011 and we saw first hand Europeans refusing to accept U.S. Dollars in any form of transaction. They politely explained that it cost them money for their bank to exchange the currency. It may come as a shock but if I tried to tip a NY cabbie with Australian dollars he'd not only refuse them but probably give me an earful - correctly so.

Old September 29th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Osnab, we will be doing this same trip as you get off, leaving in a few days for Bucharest. Is there anything you think we should know, be it about the ship, Embla or anything on your trip? How's the weather, especially temp wise? I hope you're enjoying the cruise. We're looking forward to it. Thanks for any insight.
Susan

5.2011 Viking Emerald/China
2.2011 Carnival Triumph/Mexico
9.2009 Uniworld River Ambassador/Rhine
12.2008 Grand Circle Provence/Saone
12.2006 Grand Circle River Rhapsody/Danube
10.2005 Louis Hellenic Perla/Greece & Turkey
12.2003 M/S World/Egypt

Old September 29th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ozjohnno- I totally get that and I've always thought that too. It's the height of arrogance to think you can go around the world using dollars everywhere. BUT, several people on this itinerary have mentioned guides and bus drivers being happy (I don't know if that's just happiness for any tip vs. no tip at all) to have dollars. So I wanted to get more feedback from Felicia on her trip.

If possible, yeah, we definitely will get local currency - I'm just worried if we're on a tour for one day where there's not an ATM available, etc., having a backup plan will be better than no plan. I did say "so we don't need to visit ATMs everywhere" in my earlier post -- my meaning is more that we'll have an option if we can't.

Old September 30th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Hi Felicia --
We'll be on the same cruise in 3 weeks. Can't wait to hear about your experience!

I hope you have an amazing adventure!!
August last year we went from Budapest to Amsterdam, we took mainly euros, but did get about $500 in florints as were in Budapest for 3 days prior ot the cruise, plus the cruise had a full day in Budapest too.
I always like to have some of the local currency when we arrive, nothing worse than not having money to pay for a taxi or even a coffee!!

We didnt see any restaurants or tourist attractions etc that took euros in Budapest (but they could have and we just didnt notice), but some souvenir places did have both prices up.

I would not think of trying to tip someone in Australian dollars, actually when we were on the free walking tour In Budapest our young guide did ask that if possible could we all tip in florints, but euros were accepted too, he did say that the fees that are charged on US dollars make it so that they barely get anything in return.

Old September 30th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks tassietravellers.

Old September 30th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozjohnno View Post
Now I fully realise that this is going to offend our American posters BUT why do you think it is Ok to tip or buy in your currency in a foreign country. We travelled on the Amsterdam/Budapest trip in 2011 and we saw first hand Europeans refusing to accept U.S. Dollars in any form of transaction. They politely explained that it cost them money for their bank to exchange the currency. It may come as a shock but if I tried to tip a NY cabbie with Australian dollars he'd not only refuse them but probably give me an earful - correctly so.
I totally agree with this....everything I've read says to tip in local currency.
In the U.S., our guides and bus drivers certainly wouldn't accept euros or any other European currency. I've also been told or read that if we do give U.S. dollars they have to be pristine, not old or wrinkled.

Old September 30th, 2013, 07:35 PM
5,000+ Club

I wouldn't tip in US dollars in Europe unless I had nothing else (ie had Been robbed since I always get local currency). But I don't necessarily think those who talk about tipping in dollars are being rude or arrogant or even ignorant. There are lots of countries where the local people want dollars. For sure, Peru and Ecuador because I have been both those places. And on this board, people frequently mention getting one dollar bills for tips in Vietnam and Cambodia. One of my sons was in Africa and had me send dollars to him to use.

Old September 30th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I would agree with this for countries on the Euro, but for Non-Euro countries I have found they prefer dollars (or Euros)

Old October 1st, 2013, 02:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I don't find that offensive at all (being American) but I also don't ever assume it's ok to tip or buy in USD in a foreign currency. So I can't answer that question. It's also not related to the original question, which is what does anyone need to know before (or now during) the trip?

I have heard from 2 members of the Viking staff that it is OK to tip in USD. We stopped yesterday at a store that would accept either Kuna (Croatian currency) OR USD OR Euro.

I hope that answers the question about what type of currency has been accepted thus far.

Felicia

Old October 1st, 2013, 09:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Felicia -
If you see this post can you give me an idea of what time you had to board the ship in Budapest the day you sailed away? Trying to plan our afternoon and not sure how much time we'll have.

Also, if you can give me an idea of how long the Viking tour in Budapest was that would be very helpful. Did it go from 9am - 1pm for example? I think I read that in some post a while ago.

Thanks!
Leslie