Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Member Cruise Reviews > Cruise Reviews of the Week

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Reviews of the Week

Every week we'll choose member cruise reviews to feature and if we choose yours, we will send you some cool Cruise Critic logo stuff!

Share Your Cruise Stories -- Click Here To Write A Review and maybe you'll win!

Old September 19th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default Reviews of the Week by grobma, traveller, renee_t, shudson23 & Kathie859!

Every Thursday, we'll randomly select five cruise reviews to feature here! Plus, we'll send each member a Cruise Critic logo item. We hope they enjoy it!

Norwegian Breakaway Great Family Time on the Breakaway by grobma
Both to organize my own thoughts, and to help the reader find specific information of interest, I have used a bullet-point format and segregated this review into the following sections: Introduction, General Comments, Food & Drink, Entertainment, Activities, Technology, and Cabin. INTRODUCTION First, a little about us to set context. We're a family of four with two teenagers. My wife and I had sailed two years ago on the QM2, and this was the kids' first cruise. We are not big drinkers or party all night types, and since the kids had been at camp all summer, they wanted to hang out with us rather than do any of the kids activities. We booked our cruise in March 2012. We had originally wanted a mid-ship balcony and inside cabin across the hall for the kids, but that configuration was not available, so we booked two mid-ship balconies. After reading more and more on Cruise Critic, I realized that I wanted aft balcony cabins, preferably on Deck 9 as those are the deepest, and was able to snag them for about $120 more per person. Overall, we all had an excellent time on this cruise. It did not disappoint. Continue reading... Great Family Time on the Breakaway

Celebrity Eclipse Eclipse Baltic Aug.17-31-2013 Review by traveller
First of all, I want to say this was an AWESOME cruise. Even though we had a few dips and turns on this vacation. Pre Cruise. We stayed at the Southampton Premier Inn West Quay. Near the cruise terminal and adjacent to the West Quay Shopping center that was AMAZING and fun to walk around in...was able to find this great map of Copenhagen but ended up NOT needing it as the cruise ship had very detailed maps of each port BUT you had to go down to Guest Relations to pick one up at each port. TO get back to the Premier Inn. It is a NO FRILLS hotel...i.e. sans a check in counter...more like a kiosk from the airport, no luggage trolley and only 30 min free WI fi. They did have a podium that a young girl was at and she ended up checking us in'and a young man in the lobby ended up carrying our 5 pieces of luggage upstairs for us. For 70 lbs., we felt it was a bargain with vat and full breakfast included'Little did we know that in the UK the residents were only paying 39 lbs per night' Continue reading... Eclipse Baltic Aug.17-31-2013 Review

Grand Princess Money, Money, Money Aboard the Grand Princess by renee_t
**Getting There** Since many of the cruisers aboard this cruise are from the Bay Area, it's relevant to note that there are many ways to get to the Cruise Terminal (which is Pier 35 at the time of this writing, subject to change because a new terminal is being built and will soon come online.) If you're not from the Bay Area and are staying in a San Francisco hotel, you'll probably just get there by either taxi or hotel shuttle. But if you're coming from somewhere across the bay or down the peninsula (or perhaps even farther away), you have other options to consider. First, you can drive your own car and park at the Princess-suggested parking lot. I don't know too much about this option, because we didn't do it, but I do know that it costs $17 for "regular" vehicles and $20 for "oversized" vehicles. The list of oversized vehicles is long and distinguished and includes pretty much anything larger than a Honda Accord. So for an 10 day cruise, you'll pay for 11 days, and unless you drive a postage stamp, and that will be $220, plus tolls, gas, and whatever. Ouch. Oh - and the parking garage is a few blocks away from the Cruise Terminal, so you get to carry your bags all that way, or find a cab willing to take you that short distance. Continue reading... Money, Money, Money Aboard the Grand Princess

Carnival Liberty Loved Carnival Liberty!!! by shubson23
Just returned yesterday from an Eastern Caribbean cruise onboard the Carnival Liberty. Flew in to Miami Airport the day before. A couple of tips ..... depending on where your hotel is (if you go in the day before) you really don't need a rental car. Take a taxi. It's cheaper. However, we rented a car (we didn't know) and had to return it back to the airport Saturday. Since Miami is such a large cruise terminal Carnival has a couple of things to help you. Technically you can check it at the airport for your cruise (they will take your luggage and you can pay for transportation to the port). Your second option is to check in at the cruise terminal. My suggestion: From the airport to the cruise terminal take a taxi. The cab fee from the airport to the Port is a flat $25 no matter how many people are in the vehicle. If you use Carnival Shuttle Service you will pay $16 a person (from Miami). We took a cab to the port and back. Continue reading... Loved Carnival Liberty!!!

River Countess Italian Splendors--Cruise Plus Land Tour Option by Kathie859
This cruise+tour was the second we have done with Uniworld. In May, 2012, we did their 10 day Nuremburg-Paris trip so we knew that Uniworld does a good job with land touring as well as cruises. Splendors of Italy was well done--ESPECIALLY the land part. Of the 90 cruisers, 26 opted to take the extended land trip and most agreed that the land portion was more enjoyable than the cruise portion. The reason being two-fold. 1) the land tour guide, Damiano, was exemplary. Not just "good" or "knowledgeable" but exemplary. Our local tour guides were "good" to "excellent"--Damiano was on another level altogether. And 2) the bus transportation used for the land portion of the tour was far superior to the buses used during the cruise to get us to Padua, Ravenna, Verona and Bologna. Continue reading... Italian Splendors--Cruise Plus Land Tour Option

Why not share your own cruise stories by writing and submitting your review! Your could be featured, and *you* could be wearing some logo stuff on your next cruise!

Write a Cruise Review

Last edited by Admin; September 19th, 2013 at 02:15 PM.