NYC Breakaway 9-15-2013 w/ pics

Medtech2

I am going to write a mini-travel blog here of our trip to NYC and cruise on the Breakaway September 15, 2013. Hopefully I will be able to include some pictures...

September 9 2013

Flew to New York City JFK from Charleston on a nonstop JetBlue Flight. Smooth and right at 2 hours. Took the Airtran to Jamaica Station, $5/person. Bought 7 Day Metro Cards, $30/person (plus $1 for the card itself--if you buy a Metro Card they advise you to keep it to reload or you will pay the extra $1 again, as NYC is trying to cut down on waste). Used the Subway to Queen's Plaza, which was an easy 4 block walk to the Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City.

I highly recommend this hotel for price. It was clean. They had the typical hotel breakfast in the morning included plus internet. I would not bother getting a City View room. I actually did not look into one but judging from the location I find it hard to believe the view would be that great. (If any one has been in one please chime in). It was right next door to a gas station/shop mart and down the street from a Laundromat. We ended up buying snacks and half and half for my coffee here. (That was the bad thing about the breakfast area--no creamer!) Going into Manhattan from here was easy as Queensbridge Plaza station was 2 blocks away for the subway and the bus stop for various routes.

We walked to the Court Square Diner which is open 24 hours and very reasonable. A lot of locals came in to eat or get takeout. $12.95 got you many choices of dinner specials with huge portions. I got half a chicken with rice and vegetables plus choice of soup or salad. It was a very tender chicken covered in a cream of chicken soup type sauce with leeks. There was no way I could finish it. Luckily the hotel has mini fridges and microwaves in the rooms. DH got a half pound grilled hamburger steak which was definitely grilled and tasty. It came with soup or salad, onion rings, vegetable and potato. We decided to split a dessert as they all looked so good. Well, we picked the wrong one. The Chocolate Cream Pie looked gorgeous, very tall, covered in whipped cream. Unfortunately the pie "crust" was a thin slice of dry chocolate cake (!). While the chocolate cream was good, that layer was thin compared to the copious amount of whipped cream, which was the stiff probably fake kind...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

September 10 2013

Using the subway we went to Chinatown and Little Italy. There they were setting up for the Feast of San Gennaro, .We started walking towards the September 11 Memorial as we knew it would be packed and way too emotional to visit the next day. We went by Bryant Park where we stopped to eat at some stands. I had the most amazing Falafel which was sooooo good and sooooo big for $4. I gave the guy a 5 and told him to keep the change and he was very demonstratively appreciative--do most people not tip? We saw Wall Street, Trinity Church, The Bull (which I was surprised to learn was not outside the Stock Exchange), and the 9/11 memorial. I didn't think I would be as affected as I was--I had to really choke back the tears.

We were so far south by this time that we took the Staten Island Ferry to go past the Statue of Liberty. The ferry was a little confusing for me. There are no tickets and no lines. Everyone herds onto the boat but no worries, there was plenty of room. A hint here for newbies like myself. There is a small open deck at the rear of certain ferries that gets roped off while the boat is underway. If you don't get there before they get underway you can't enter. This one had that but I missed it. Those folks were able to get tremendous views of Manhattan while we were leaving. I tried to find the same place on the way back but that ferry was built differently and had no such place. (When you get to Staten Island they make everyone get off and go around the terminal and back inside to catch the next one---one dock over)

We had done so much walking by this time that DH and his arthritic hip could not take another step so we found the nearest subway station and went back to the hotel.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Thanks for the review! We are from Columbia (right up the road from you) and were already looking at staying at Country Inn for the 2 room suite! Thanks so much for your information! Pretty much seals it for us. Looking forward to the rest!

Debbie

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I don't know why it is customary to touch "parts" but when in Rome....

ry%3D480

The Bull was cordoned off by a temporary fence but everyone was inside the fence so it was difficult to move around or get a good picture. People were nice enough, though, and everyone took turns. It would be better if they went ahead and took down the "protection"...

When we stopped for lunch in the park there was a long line of food stands. All were basically empty except for a 50 deep line at this Falafel Stand so I joined in. Boy was it good. Ask for extra sauce and to mix in the hot sauce--a great combination! DH, on the other hand, got a beef hotdog from a Halal stand, very adventurous, lol.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The 9/11 Memorial usually needed tickets in advance I am told but we walked right up and in...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Bravo! You really got around Downtown Manhattan! :)

Great review, looking forward to more!

Thanks! Yes, I was surprised we did as much as we did because DH was just diagnosed with arthritis in his hip and limps pretty badly. We didn't do as much as I had planned a year ago but did much more than I thought we would do after the diagnosis. He was a real trooper and would keep going until he just got to his limit and then would stop, and I mean stop, lol. I am glad folks are appreciating the NYC part of our trip. I was a bit hesitant posting as I know this is Cruise Critic but so many people are like us. This was our first time to NYC and we were not about to fly in just to get on the cruise and leave. We flew in early to try to see New York, having seen it all our lives on TV and in movies.

Sometimes I felt like the Clampetts....

Have to go back to work in the a.m. So will be posting the rest in fits and starts... :)

I love your writing style, I'm reading your other reviews. On the CC Fantasy cruise, you walked to Junkaroo Beach, saying it was a 10 minute walk. I'm traveling on the Breakaway to Nassau and my Dad is in a wheelchair (can't walk long distances) so I'll be pushing him. I want to take my parents for a day pass to the British Colonial Hilton. Everyone says it's walkable, and I see your daughter walked on a sprained ankle to Junkaroo, so is it an easy walk from the pier to the British Colonial Hilton??

Thanks! Yes, I was surprised we did as much as we did because DH was just diagnosed with arthritis in his hip and limps pretty badly. We didn't do as much as I had planned a year ago but did much more than I thought we would do after the diagnosis. He was a real trooper and would keep going until he just got to his limit and then would stop, and I mean stop, lol. I am glad folks are appreciating the NYC part of our trip. I was a bit hesitant posting as I know this is Cruise Critic but so many people are like us. This was our first time to NYC and we were not about to fly in just to get on the cruise and leave. We flew in early to try to see New York, having seen it all our lives on TV and in movies.

Sometimes I felt like the Clampetts....

Have to go back to work in the a.m. So will be posting the rest in fits and starts... :)

we also did Breakaway with stay pre and post cruise New York and can relate to the walking difficulties-hubby has 2 metal hips courtesy of arthritis and a dodgy left ankle so takes quite a bit of planning to keep the walking minimal

My review of trip is via link in my signature if you want to compare notes re walking!

Lyn

I love your writing style, I'm reading your other reviews. On the CC Fantasy cruise, you walked to Junkaroo Beach, saying it was a 10 minute walk. I'm traveling on the Breakaway to Nassau and my Dad is in a wheelchair (can't walk long distances) so I'll be pushing him. I want to take my parents for a day pass to the British Colonial Hilton. Everyone says it's walkable, and I see your daughter walked on a sprained ankle to Junkaroo, so is it an easy walk from the pier to the British Colonial Hilton??

The Hilton is before you get to Junkanoo and there was sidewalk or pavement the whole way. Unfortunately I do not remember if the curbs slant for handicap or stroller access, but I do remember people coming and going with strollers, just don't remember seeing a wheelchair...

we also did Breakaway with stay pre and post cruise New York and can relate to the walking difficulties-hubby has 2 metal hips courtesy of arthritis and a dodgy left ankle so takes quite a bit of planning to keep the walking minimal

My review of trip is via link in my signature if you want to compare notes re walking!

Lyn

Actually I read your review before we left. It's what gave me the courage to go forth and conquer! :)