Mike & Tracy’s continuing adventures: B2B on Carnival Liberty & Carnival Breeze

MikeyA53

Background info: Mike (58), occupation- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (Mountie), Tracy (40) Formerly a Paramedic now a Mountie, originally from Wales, UK. Arielle (18), Mitchel (17).

Like most cruise critic members I start counting the days from the time I booked these cruises which was over a year ago in July of 2012. I love to research and plan everything from the restaurants along the way, the shopping malls we will be visiting, our itinerary, things to do on the ship and in ports. I do run most things through Tracy before finalizing anything.

Tracy on the other hand started getting excited about two months before the cruise. Work has been very stressful lately. Summer is our busy season.

Arielle will be turning 19 this fall. She’s a planner like me. She has a boyfriend back home and plans on spending a lot of time with Mum and Dad.

Mitchel is different from the rest of us; if he got excited he never showed it. As on previous cruises he asked me on what ships we would be cruising on a couple of days prior to leaving.

The ports visited on our Liberty cruise included:

Cozumel (Mr. Sancho’s all Inclusive Resort)

Belize (Ultimate adventure: Zipline, Rappel & Cavetubing)

Roatan, Honduras (Best of Roatan Private Tour with Victor Bodden)

Grand Cayman (7 Mile Beach)

Ports visited on our Breeze Cruise:

Grand Turk (Power Snorkeling)

La Romana, Dominican Republic (Altos de Chavon)

Curacao (Irie Tours)

Aruba (Jolly Pirates Excursion)

I will also be reviewing our nights at the Diamond and Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouses, as well as the Chef’s Table on Breeze, the Cucina del Capitano, Bonsai Sushi, Fat Jimmy’s C-Side BBQ, Red Frog Pub and Guy’s Burger. The Behind the Fun Tour on Liberty, the Thrill Theater on Breeze and much more. In addition, we turned Platinum on our Liberty cruise since we reached our 10th cruise before the Dec 31st, 2013 deadline.

I took over 3600 photos of which I’ll be using about 2000 photos for the review, along with a few videos. Cameras used were my old Nikon D50, my new Nikon Coolpix AW100 underwater/ shockproof and our Ipads.

Pre-cruise:

Aug 20th, 2013

We departed on August 20th, 2013. Four days before our first cruise. We drove to Warwick, Rhode Island, a distance of 444 miles. Normally we fly out of Boston but we decided to try a different area for several reasons, we had never been to Rhode Island, the airport was smaller and the airfares were cheaper.

We stayed at the Best Western, 2138 Post Road, Warwick. We got it through ParkSleepFly for $129.29, taxes included. This included 14 days of free parking, free shuttle, free breakfast and free Wi-Fi. Even though our vehicle was parked for a total of 21 days we were not charged the extra $8 a day, after 14 days.

DSC_0010_zpsc8091e0c.jpg

DSC_0001_zps94783c2f.jpg

DSC_0003_zps177f9836.jpg

DSC_0004_zps7d37361c.jpg

DSC_0005_zps86ad69a2.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsb0d35b1b.jpg

We had dinner at the Iron Works Restaurant, very good food and service. Our evening consisted of going to the movie theater followed by watching another movie in our hotel room.

Aug 21st, 2013

Tracy and I started off the morning by going to the gym. As usual the kids slept in while we enjoyed a hearty breakfast. Our flight wasn’t until 5:10 pm so we went to the mall to pass the time. We had a late lunch at Legal Seafood, which was conveniently situated across from our hotel. Good food, everyone enjoyed their meal.

We arrived at the airport at 3 pm. I purchased some sandwiches to bring on the plane, since we would be skipping dinner.

DSC_0011_zps5a51c329.jpg

DSC_0012_zps2449501d.jpg

Video conferencing with her boyfriend.

DSC_0013_zpsc1aa3876.jpg

DSC_0014_zps843c87d9.jpg

Our direct flight on Jet Blue took 3 hours and arrived on time in Fort Lauderdale. We took a taxi to Gallery One by Doubletree situated on East Sunrise Blvd. Cost $28, including tip. Gallery One is conveniently located next to the Galleria Mall, Publix Grocery store and several good restaurants. The Fort Lauderdale beach is a 5 minute walk and you can board the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi right outside the hotel.

I booked our 3 night stay through Hotwire for $237 which added up to only $79 a night. We had a king bed with pull out sofa for the kids. When we arrive at a check-in counter, Tracy and I usually put on the charm and sometimes it pays off with an up-grade. It was our lucky night, I asked the hotel clerk, who happened to be Canadian, if it was possible to change our room from King and sofa to two queen beds and she responded “I can do better than that”. We got a corner, two bedroom suites, overlooking the waterway.

Kitchen & Living room

DSC_0016_zps319fad2c.jpg

DSC_0017_zps0b5b79fd.jpg

DSC_0018_zps6ebdba48.jpg

DSC_0019_zpsb012716b.jpg

Balcony

photo2_zpsce6fa49a.jpg

Edited by MikeyA53

Looking forward to the rest of your review. We went on the Glory after your summer cruise and found your feedback incredibly helpful and interesting. Can't wait to read more!

Congrats on a fabulous (and very lucky) upgrade. Beautiful hotel!

In the afternoon Tracy, Arielle and I went to the beach, Mitch is not a beach/water lover and he stayed in our hotel room with his Ipad and bedroom television.

It took about 5 minutes to walk to the beach.

Looking at our hotel from the drawbridge

DSC_0048_zpse05fdf90.jpg

Almost there

DSC_0049_zpse79d5655.jpg

DSC_0050_zps3e064c9a.jpg

DSC_0051_zps99c5bbe3.jpg

DSC_0052_zps352ef5fc.jpg