Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old October 8th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Editor

Default Amazon River, what to expect?

Hi, I'm heading out for an Amazon River cruise. It's not my first trip down the Amazon, but it is my first trip not-on-a-big-ship (have done Crystal and Princess). And it's not even the same part of the Amazon! Our trip starts in Lima, then has a flight to Iquitos and onward.

We're on International Expeditions. It's a new line for Cruise Critic, so am definitely interested in your feedback, both on the trip and the company. Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

It looks great!

Can't help you with your request for firsthand information, but I imagine that many of us will be interested in your report when you come back! We have looked at similar itineraries with Delfin and with the Aqua Expeditions, two other companies that are considered luxury operators from Iquitos.

Now it looks like there's another line to consider... Better get there before it gets too crowded!

Last: SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)

Future:

**Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014

**Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014

Past:
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (
photo review)
Avalon Affinity - Danube - Vienna to Passau - June 2013 (flooded! - awesome land trip instead ) (blog)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (
pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (photos)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - December 2009(photos)

Tahitian Princess 8/09; Insignia 11/08; Sea Princess 8/08; Millenium 6/08; Nautica 1/08; Nautica 11/07; Regatta 4/07; Tahitian Princess 1/07; Carnival Spirit 8/06; Insignia 5/06; etc...

Old October 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Am also curious to hear about your cruise as we are doing the upper Amazon with OAT Travel next June.

2013 Norwegian Dawn (New England)

2012 Princess Ocean (Grand Med)
2011 Princess Coral (Panama Canal)
2010 RCCL Mariner (Mexico)
2009 Star Clipper (Eastern Mediterranean)
2006 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
2003 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
2000 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
1997 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)
1995 RCCL Sun Viking (So. Caribbean)
1994 RCCL Song of America (So. Caribbean)
1993 Columbia River Cruise
1993 HAL Westerdam (E. Caribbean)
1991 Crown Monarch (W. Caribbean)
1989 RCCL Song of America (W. Caribbean)
1985 RCCL Nordic Prince (E. Caribbean)

Old October 25th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Editor

I will keep you posted! I have twice cruised the Amazon on a big ship but suspect this is a whole, er, kettle of fish!

Carolyn

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Are you going to do any extensions in Peru, i.e. Machu Picchu? I was there two years ago and loved it. It's a once in a lifetime experience.

Old November 26th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Editor

No time on this trip though I did spend an extra day in Lima, which was absolutely marvelous, definitely worth a visit! But Machu Picchu is on the bucket list, for sure. Look forward to a chance to get to see more of the magical Peru.

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingbarb View Post
Are you going to do any extensions in Peru, i.e. Machu Picchu? I was there two years ago and loved it. It's a once in a lifetime experience.

Old November 26th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Editor

Hi, can't speak to the other lines cause I haven't tried 'em, but gosh, our trip on International Expeditions was marvelous. Best guides/naturalists/enrichment program I've had on any cruise -- ever.

And the ship was lovely.

Review, blog, pics, probably going up next week!

Happy to answer more questions....

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalbny View Post
It looks great!

Can't help you with your request for firsthand information, but I imagine that many of us will be interested in your report when you come back! We have looked at similar itineraries with Delfin and with the Aqua Expeditions, two other companies that are considered luxury operators from Iquitos.

Now it looks like there's another line to consider... Better get there before it gets too crowded!

Old November 26th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

How was your cruise on the Amazon? We need details. Any hints about what to take?

Old November 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Glad you had a great time! Looking forward to your report.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Last: SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)

Future:

**Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014

**Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014

Past:
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (
photo review)
Avalon Affinity - Danube - Vienna to Passau - June 2013 (flooded! - awesome land trip instead ) (blog)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (
pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (photos)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - December 2009(photos)

Tahitian Princess 8/09; Insignia 11/08; Sea Princess 8/08; Millenium 6/08; Nautica 1/08; Nautica 11/07; Regatta 4/07; Tahitian Princess 1/07; Carnival Spirit 8/06; Insignia 5/06; etc...

Old December 12th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

I sailed on this (about 6 months ago)cruise just before they got the newer Aquamarina. The ship wasn't so good but the crew, naturalists and the Amazon was amazing. I plan to do this trip again and will look at the Delfin 2. It's one of the most unspoiled and beautiful places on earth.

Old January 8th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi cruzsnooze...

My family is considering doing this cruise with OAT next July. We would take up the entire boat (Aquamarina). My concern is that my mother has major heart problems and my father has Parkinson's. My mom wants to go so badly (her 2nd time) that she's said she and my dad will "Stay on the boat" while we do our excursions. They will both be 84 in July. I am very apprehensive about taking them on this. I also have 2 teenagers and there will be numerous 20-somethings along. Do you think they'll be bored? Thanks in advance!

Carnival (ship name?) Bahamas 2009
Carnival (ship name?) Mexican Riviera 2005
Carnival (ship name?) Alaska 2000
Carnival Celebration 1995

Old January 10th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic View Post
Happy to answer more questions....

Carolyn
Hi editor@cruisecritic (aka Carolyn):

I asked this of cruzsnooze but haven't gotten an answer yet:

My family is considering doing this cruise with OAT next July. We would take up the entire boat (Aquamarina). My concern is that my mother has major heart problems and my father has Parkinson's. My mom wants to go so badly (her 2nd time) that she's said she and my dad will "Stay on the boat" while we do our excursions. They will both be 84 in July. I am very apprehensive about taking them on this. I also have 2 teenagers and there will be numerous 20-somethings along. Do you think they'll be bored? My niece is also planning on bringing her 1-yr old and a 4 yr old. Thanks in advance!

Carnival (ship name?) Bahamas 2009
Carnival (ship name?) Mexican Riviera 2005
Carnival (ship name?) Alaska 2000
Carnival Celebration 1995

Old January 12th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have never traveled with OAT, but traveled the Peruvian with Gadventures and know that it would not have been safe, even on the boat, for very young children. Plus many lines do have age restrictions. Good luck with your planning.

Old January 12th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinlanQ View Post
Hi cruzsnooze...

My family is considering doing this cruise with OAT next July. We would take up the entire boat (Aquamarina). My concern is that my mother has major heart problems and my father has Parkinson's. My mom wants to go so badly (her 2nd time) that she's said she and my dad will "Stay on the boat" while we do our excursions. They will both be 84 in July. I am very apprehensive about taking them on this. I also have 2 teenagers and there will be numerous 20-somethings along. Do you think they'll be bored? Thanks in advance!
I admire your parents enthusiasm, but i would strongly suggest getting trip insurance that allows for preexisting conditions and for evacuation.
Also, I would dissuade your niece from taking children that young on that cruise.

Last edited by Talisker92; January 12th, 2014 at 08:56 PM.

Old January 24th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

the Amazon is also on my bucket list. I just have not gotten any info together to see what options there are. I'm happy with more of a "hostels and backpacks" younger and cost conscience crowd than the typical ocean cruise traveler. I don't even know what OAT means, so when mentioning a tour company or travel agent, please make it a bit clearer.

Jun '09 =X=Mercury Alaska
Dec '09 NCL Spirit NOLA
Mar '10 HA Westerdam FtLau
Dec '10 MSC Poesia Ft Lau
Dec '11 Emerald Princess Ft Lau
Apr '12 Carnvl Fascination Jax
Jan '13 RC Brilliance San Juan
Apr-May '13 MS Pet'r Chaikovsky Rostov- Moscow-(train to)-St. Petersburg

Old January 24th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
the Amazon is also on my bucket list. I just have not gotten any info together to see what options there are. I'm happy with more of a "hostels and backpacks" younger and cost conscience crowd than the typical ocean cruise traveler. I don't even know what OAT means, so when mentioning a tour company or travel agent, please make it a bit clearer.
OAT is Overseas Adventure Travels their website is OATTravel.com
Based on earlier comments, I do not think it is a good idea to take the young children on this trip. I would also be concerned about anyone with heart problems or Parkinson's. You are in some pretty remote areas where even air evacuation would be a problem.

Old February 10th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

For these Amazon cruises, was it recommended or required to get a Yellow Fever vaccination?

Old February 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am so sorry I did not back to this thread sooner.
DH and I both got yellow fever shots. DH took malaria pills I refused (side effects not worth it).
As for the elder folks, will they be bored, hard to say. I could sit in the observation area all day and watch to unspoiled terrain and the sunset and love every second. It would be too strenuous for them to board the skiffs every day twice a day for the "excursions". The time in the skiff is not pre determined, they take off and follow a usual pattern but vary depending on what is available. I wanted to see the giant lily pads but is was low water level and they took us as close as possible and then we had to walk thru mud which was like quicksand. It was so great that they are willing to accommodate you. We fished for pirhana and they cooked then for dinner. I didn't eat them but everyone who did enjoyed it.
While you are out on the skiff for hours the Aquamarina sails down the river and you meet it in a new place when you come back. This happens every day.
All meals are open seating at tables for 6 and buffet style. The food is indigenous items and very interesting, worth trying. I don't eat fish and they always had a fish, meat and chicken dish so you will find something to your liking.
Any other questions? I'll check back to see if there are any. I loved this trip and plan to do a different area of the Amazon in the few years. FYI we are seniors and not the athletic type but found the trip quite doable. The pace with only 22 passengers is not rushed. When you go out on the sjiff they use 2 so there's about 10-11 on each so no hurry up get on or off, it goes fast with so few people.
I looked at all the river boats and settled on international expeditions due to price. They delivered, not a single complaint other then the boat which has since been replaced. We saw the Aqua and the delfin both sailing near us. They looked fabulous too so any of them would have been fine with me.

Last edited by cruzsnooze; February 16th, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Old February 16th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

A word on the medical. It s a very remote area and only a shaman for a doctor who we visited as an excursion. He showed us his primitive way of using herbs for illness. For any serious illness you need to get back to Peru. Only your personal physician can say if an individual's condition is stable enough to travel to such a remote place. Parkinsons is not something that requires emergency medical attention on a daily basis but would be almost impossible to sit on a skiff bench that has no back support with the jostling it entails. People with heart conditions travel all the time, but ask your folks doctor what he thinks. If they chose to go bring enough of their medications and then some extra in case there is an unforeseen delay some where.

Old February 16th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

ok rereading you post you asked if a 1 and 4 year old would be bored and I think so. This is not an activity type vacation, nothing geared for children, no pool, games, internet. Would they play games you brought with you? Do children enjoy learning about cultures and animals and water tables and such? A one year old wouldn't really care, he'd be your arms but the 4 year old who knows. Is he a super active kid. Can he sit on a skiff for hours, there are some stops so a potty break will happen.