Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Elevators working during muster drill?

Do elevators function during muster drills? My husband is 100% disabled and cannot walk at all. In a thread I read today several people mentioned the elevators being turned to off during the drills. And yes, I wonder too about what the heckola I would do during a real emergency....

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

They function, but, they will be jammed packed, you might have to wait a bit.

Jonathan

RCCL - Explorer of the Seas - 2014
Queen Elizabeth - 2011 - Celebrity Summit - 2010 - HAL Eurodam - 2008
HAL Noordam - 4/5/08, 2007 - QM2 - 2009, 2006 x2, 2005, 2004 -
QE2
- 2003, 1971, 1970 - HAL Rotterdam 1974 - Royal Viking Line - 1979 -
SS France
- 1973 - Mississippi Queen - 1976 - Leonardo Da Vinci - 1969

Cunard Platinum Member

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

People who take elevators who are perfectly capable of walking a few staircases make me insane (note: if you have a legitimate need for the elevator I am NOT talking to you, so save any flaming ). People who truly need them (like my literally paralyzed from the shoulders down) husband should use them. Otherwise people, use the stairs if you're going a short distance. At our hockey arena, gads of people go up ONE frickin' flight in the elevators. It's 12 steps people, 12. It's like people don't even think about it. They just see an elevator and automatically take it. Makes me crazy.

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

From the RC website

Safety

Print This Page

Q: What are the mustering procedures for passengers with disabilities? A: During the mustering process, trained crew with high visibility vests will be posted throughout the ship to assist guests with disabilities. In addition to posted personnel, specially trained crew teams are available to assist guests with special needs.

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureencruiser View Post
From the RC website

Safety

Print This Page

Q: What are the mustering procedures for passengers with disabilities? A: During the mustering process, trained crew with high visibility vests will be posted throughout the ship to assist guests with disabilities. In addition to posted personnel, specially trained crew teams are available to assist guests with special needs.
Thank you!! That is very helpful.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeling_family_of_3 View Post
It's like people don't even think
Yep, just like that!

I know you are doing a lot of planning ahead for your vacation; I have seen some of your threads. Just wanted to say I hope it all works out for you and that your planning pays off for your family so that everyone has a good time. Sounds like you work hard to take care of everyone. Enjoy.

Old October 10th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

During a behind the scenes tour I asked about it since my daughter was a part time wheelchair user at the time (she's better now, just badly sprained BOTH ankles at the same time).

Dpending on the condition of the ship the elevators could be in manual operation mode for people with mobility impairments. Staff could operate them with a key. This obviously would not apply if the ship was listing or something

If no elevators are available, there are devices that can be set up to allow users of wheelchairs tto be assisted down the stairs.

Failing that, each team at the staircases can team carry you down one flight of stairs and hand you off to the next team below who would take you down one more flight and so on.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Old October 10th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I didn't think you were allowed to use the elevators during muster (not talking about those with disability)?

Old October 10th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesCruising View Post
I didn't think you were allowed to use the elevators during muster (not talking about those with disability)?
Muster drill is not quite the same as true mustering in an emergency. During the drill many arrive early. Sometimes a half hour or more. Others straggle in at the last second. During the drills the elevators usually operate.

If you need an elevator, try to avoid using the elevators for muster drill and have the crew assist you so you can learn what to do in a real emergency where elevators might not function.

26 1/4 - 78 (+/-)
CANCER REALLY SUCKS

10 day Transatlantic, Westbound, Niña, Palos de la Frontera, Spain to Canary Islands 8/3/1492 (B2B) Canary Islands to Bahamas 61 days 8/12/1492

1316 day Caribbean and Eastbound Transatlantic,
Niña, 10/12/1492-6/8/1496

66 day Transatlantic, Westbound, Mayflower 9/6/1496
founder S.T.A.R.F.I.S.H. Society for the Timely Asteroidea Rescue From Incarceration in Ships and Hotels (because a starfish dying on a cruiseship stinks)

Old October 10th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

You cannot use elevators during the muster drill (unless you plan on getting their super early) and waiting for the drill to officially begin.

When the muster drill is in progress there are crew members posted at each elevator bank directing you to stairs.

If you are in a wheelchair, or disabled, i.e. using a cane, walker, etc., they will allow you (and not your family members) to ride the elevator. They also explain in a real emergency this would not happen. Crew explained that wheelchair guests need to identify themselves to a crew member and they would receive personal attention.

In some instances we have seen wheelchair/disabled guests directed to a specific location, dining room, for example, and the procedures explained to them there.

Old October 10th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureencruiser View Post
From the RC website

Safety

Print This Page

Thank you for posting this. I will have a rocker boot on and although I can do steps while holding onto a rail, it would be safer to take the elevator. I just don't like to bring attention to myself when I know there are people who need assistance much more than I.

Old October 10th, 2013, 09:24 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeling_family_of_3 View Post
Do elevators function during muster drills? My husband is 100% disabled and cannot walk at all. In a thread I read today several people mentioned the elevators being turned to off during the drills. And yes, I wonder too about what the heckola I would do during a real emergency....
No worries They will make sure yall get to where you need to be They will generally release yall a few minutes before its over so you arent ran over by the mass crowds too.

In a real emergency, you wouldnt have to do anything. The crew is well trained on how to get their disabled passengers to their muster station/lifeboat.

Im paraplegic myself. I have never worried one bit about being taken care of in case of emergency.

Carnival Holiday - 6/08
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/10
Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas - 2/11
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas - 4/12

Old October 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am partially disabled and have difficulty walking and using stairs. I have done muster drill multiple times. The elevators are operational, however the crew will direct you yo use the stairs. If you explain that you are disabled and cannot, you are permitted to use the elevators. You are likely to be the only one in the elevator (they are not jammed with people).

Old October 10th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinfl View Post
I am partially disabled and have difficulty walking and using stairs. I have done muster drill multiple times. The elevators are operational, however the crew will direct you yo use the stairs. If you explain that you are disabled and cannot, you are permitted to use the elevators. You are likely to be the only one in the elevator (they are not jammed with people).
I am disabled with mobility problems and I am unable to use the stairs. We always go early to the muster drill using the elevator and don't have a problem. We usually wait for the crowd to disburse before we leave also.

Good luck to you and have a wonderful cruise.

Navigator of the Seas 4/27/14
Crown Princess 4/6/2013
Carnival Magic 5/13/2012
Norwegian Spirit 5/8/2011

Carnival Triumph 4/3/2010
Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 4/20/08
Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas 4/15/06
Carnival Conquest 4/18/04
Carnival Jubilee 3/22/03

Old October 10th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVALUATOR View Post
Muster drill is not quite the same as true mustering in an emergency. During the drill many arrive early. Sometimes a half hour or more. Others straggle in at the last second. During the drills the elevators usually operate.

If you need an elevator, try to avoid using the elevators for muster drill and have the crew assist you so you can learn what to do in a real emergency where elevators might not function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcC1998 View Post
You cannot use elevators during the muster drill (unless you plan on getting their super early) and waiting for the drill to officially begin.

When the muster drill is in progress there are crew members posted at each elevator bank directing you to stairs.

If you are in a wheelchair, or disabled, i.e. using a cane, walker, etc., they will allow you (and not your family members) to ride the elevator. They also explain in a real emergency this would not happen. Crew explained that wheelchair guests need to identify themselves to a crew member and they would receive personal attention.

In some instances we have seen wheelchair/disabled guests directed to a specific location, dining room, for example, and the procedures explained to them there.
That's what I thought - we always were directed to the stairs and thankfully we are able....

Old October 10th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcC1998 View Post

On our recent Enchantment B2B crew were not allowing non disabled guests use of the elevators. They did allow DW who uses a cane and cannot use the stairs to use the elevator. They allowed me to go with her. Can't even imagine separating a caregiver from the mobility impaired person.
Also, we learned that handicapped persons must go to the muster station and remain there for the duration of the drill. They do allow an early release at the end of the drill but 30 seconds or less is comical. We usually just hang out on deck and wait until the mob clears up.

Cunard-White Star MV Georgic July 1951 Southampton - NYC; family from Fife to America; Song of America May '96, '97 & '98 Bermuda; Nordic Empress May '99, Jun '01 Bermuda; Sovereign of the Seas May & Nov '00, Apr & Nov '01, Oct '03, May '04, Nov '05, Jun '07, Mar '08 The Bahamas; Monarch of the Seas Jan '03 Central Caribbean, Apr, Jun, Nov '09 B2B, Apr, Sep, Nov, Dec '10, Apr, Sep '11, Jan, May, Jun, Sep (x2), Oct '12 The Bahamas; Mar/Apr '13, Farewell Week Cruises; Celebrity Horizon Oct '04, Bermuda; Mariner of the Seas May & Oct '08 E. & W. Caribbean; Freedom of the Seas Oct '09 E. Caribbean, May '11, April '12, Dec '13; Jewel of the Seas Jan '10 & Jan '11 Ultimate Caribbean, Nov and Dec '11; Feb/Mar '12 Western Caribbean; Celebrity Equinox Feb '12, 10 night; Dec '12, 11 night - Ultimate Caribbean; Enchantment of the Seas Apr/May, Jul, Sep, Oct/Nov, Dec '13, Mar/Apr '14 - The Bahamas; Brilliance of the Seas Feb '14 Western Caribbean, B2B; Celebrity Constellation Apr '14, Western Caribbean; Vision of the Seas May '14, Western Caribbean; Aug '14, Bermuda and The Bahamas
Most Recent: Freedom Of The Seas, Sep/Oct '14 W. Caribbean

FUTURE:

Old October 10th, 2013, 11:32 PM
5,000+ Club

I have always been permitted to use the elevator for the drill and if the muster station is an area without seating I always speak to the person in charge with my station and explain that I need to sit. I have always been accommodated. If they cannot find me a seat then I am directed to a seating area with others. I just make sure that they record that I attended the drill.

Carnival: Dream, Splendor(5), Conquest, Victory (4), Liberty, Freedom (2), Glory (2), Miracle(2), Holiday, Valor, Triumph (3),Breeze, Ecstasy. Total: 25 cruises
NCL: Norway, Leeward (2), Star (3), Sun, Jewel (3), Gem, Spirit (2), Epic, Dawn, Breakaway. Total: 16 cruises
Celebrity: Zenith, Galaxy, Century (2), Mercury, Millennium (4), Constellation (2), Summit(2). Total: 13 cruises
RCCL: Brilliance (2), Vision (2), Enchantment (4), Voyager (2), Liberty (2), Navigator (2), Explorer (2), Majesty, Monarch(2), Jewel, Mariner, Independence, Freedom, Legend, Grandeur. Total: 25 cruises
Princess: Grand (2), Caribbean (2), Crown (2), Diamond, Dawn. Total: 8 cruises
Cunard: QM2 (4). Total: 4 cruises
Renaissance: R2. Total: 1 cruise
Holland-America: Maasdam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Rotterdam. Total: 5 cruises
MSC-Divina. Total: 1 cruise
Grand Total: 90 cruises

Old October 11th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Muster Drill on Grandeur of the Seas

On a recent cruise on Grandeur those with disabilities were allowed to use the elevators along with their caregivers. They were seated inside near their muster stations and their sea passes were scanned. Those without mobility issues were directed to the stairs and stood on the deck at their muster stations. There was no elevator crowding before the drill. The crew was very helpful and considerate.

Just let those conducting the drill know your needs and you will be fine.
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas 2009
Holland America Eurodam 2010
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas 2010
Celebrity Equinox 2011
Vantage River Odyssey 2011
Celebrity Equinox 2012
Grand Circle Bizet 2012
Celebrity Eclipse 2013
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas 2013
Celebrity Eclipse 2014
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas 2014 (2)
Celebrity Equinox 2015