Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.

Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Closed Thread

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:34 PM
20,000+ Club

Default Crystal Announces a Change to Specialty Restaurants

Specialty Restaurants Announcement

Crystal Cruises provides alternative specialty restaurants to enhance the evening dining options and provide the opportunity to enjoy a variety of culinary environments. In order to ensure that each Crystal guest has the opportunity to experience every dining venue on board our ships, beginning in January 2014 a maximum of one reservation per specialty restaurant (one for Prego and one Silk Road) will be confirmed per booking via our Guest Check-in, Priority Check-in and Planning Center (PCPC). All additional reservations will be confirmed on board on a space available basis for a nominal fee of $30 per person. For more information

http://www.crystalcruises.com/Suppor...ouncementAuto1

HAL
NCL Latitudes Tier Level: Gold
1.RCI Monarch March 2002 W.Carib,2.HAL ZUIDM April 2003 East Carib,3.RCI Monarch December 2003 Mexico,4.HAL Oosterdam May 2004 Alaska,5.HAL Ryndam Nov 2004 Sea of Cortez,6.HAL MS Westerndam Mar 2005 W Carib,7. HAL Maasdam NE/Canada July 2005,8. HAL Oosterdam Oct 2005 Mex Riv,9.HAL Oosterdam Feb 2006 Mex Riv,10.HAL Ryndam May 2006 Alaska,11.HAL Veendam Sept 2006 Pacific Coastal,12.HAL Zaandam Nov 2006 10 day Mex. Riv,13.HAL Oosterdam 30th Anniversary March 2007 Mex.Riv,14.HAL Noordam Alaska June 2007,15.HAL Noordam Alaska Sept 2007, 16.HAL Oosterdam Dec 2007 Mex Riv, 17.HAL Oosterdam Feb 2008, 18. HAL Amsterdam Alaska June 2008 19. HAL Oosterdam Mexican Riviera October 2008 20. HAL Eurodam Eastern Caribbean Dec.2009 B2B with 21. HAL Eurodam Christmas Cruise Southern Caribbean Dec 2008 22. February 2009 HAL Oosterdam Yum Yum Man Worshippers II Mex Riv 23. April 2009 HAL Statendam Panama Canal East Cast Coast to West Coast. 24. HAL Westerdam Alaska June 2009 25. NCL Star Cruise To Nowhere Nov.2009 26. PCL Crown Princess W.Caribbean Jan. 2010 27. NCL Pearl Pacific Coastal April 2010 28. Celebrity Solstice Western Caribbean September 2010 29.RCI Mariner Mex Riv Nov 2010 30. HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Eastern Caribbean March 2011 31. HAL Westerdam Alaska May 2011 32.HAL Oosterdam Hawaii October 2011 33.HAL Westerdam So. Carib March 2012 34. HAL Zuiderdam Pac Coastal May 2012 35. HAL Zuiderdam Alaska May 2012 36. NCL Dawn W. Caribbean Nov. 2012 37. HAL Zuiderdam Pac Coastal May 2013 38. HAL Zuiderdam Alaska May 2013 39. HAL Veendam Mexico Dec 2013 40. NCL Jewel W Carib March 2014 [/size]

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

"a maximum of one reservation per specialty restaurant (one for Prego and one Silk Road) will be confirmed per booking via our Guest Check-in, Priority Check-in and Planning Center (PCPC)"
- there is no change to that policy is there?

Personally, if I know I can get reservations for Silk Road for additional visits, I would happily pay the additional fee without a second thought.
I was never sure what the policy was about getting additional booking while on board.

In April this year, I visited Nobu Park Lane in London less than a month after dining at Silk Road. Silk Road wins hands down both in terms of menu selection and the flavours of the dishes being presented. I also paid about $200 per person for dinner with a some sake and green tea.

Not that much of a Prego fan and would consider it as useful a change of scene from the MDR.

Last edited by JohnKen3; October 15th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just received this from my agent...so now it begins!!!
Give them a taste and then start charging them....just like the mega ships!!!
Its going to be interesting on the world cruises,where will we eat???
One gets very tired of the same old, same old in the main dining room.
We can have "little plates" in the Bistro....or the limited menu(but very good) at Tastes.

WOW!!! this came out of left field....and we just booked a 30 day cruise for April and May.....may have to reconsider this....

Then there is the 108 days in 2015!!!!that means we can eat there 6 whole times!!!FREE!!!(OK we can afford to pay for the nest 20-30 times)but it rankles!~

Oh god, Keith, these are your favorite dining venues, what do you suggest>?

Pat

Last edited by SnoBirdCruiser; October 15th, 2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: error

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I guess this is another example of "all inclusive" not being all inclusive. Is this the beginning of nickel and diming?
These is not a good change INHO.

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Aha! I just spotted the catch and the real change !

Previously, it was each stateroom could book one reservation at Prego and Silk Road. So 2 solo cruisers in two staterooms chosing to dine together could book twice at Prego and twice at Silk Road. I did this with my parents back in April dining twice at Silk Road and twice at Prego through PCPC bookings.

Now it does not matter if you have booked or are a guest of the booker, it counts as the first visit which is free with a charge for subsequent visits.

I do agree it is a fairer approach, since I always envied large groups of 3-4 staterooms could choose to dine at the Speciality Restaurants regularly.

It is not a matter of nickel and dining. Couples are disadvantaged to large groups through the current booking process. This way, there is a fair chance for all passengers irrespective of solo cruisers, couples or large groups. There is no fee to dine once at Silk Road and Prego. That is still all-inclusive. You just pay if you wish to dine there more often. I still think its good value personally.

Last edited by JohnKen3; October 15th, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just wanted to add that I have a very bad feeling that this is going to go Viral!!

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Angry

Please, Crystal, say it isn't so!!! This is horrible! Please, listen to the people who love you and change this. We have 2 cruises scheduled in 2014 and 2015, but may have to change. Is this the beginning? Please, no!!

Buenos Aires - Antarctica - Valparaiso, 12/13. Best. Cruise. Ever.
Crystal Serenity, Lisbon - Miami, 12/11. Next-to-Best. Cruise. Ever.
Crystal Symphony, Alaska, 5/11
Crystal Serenity, Meditteranean, 5/10
Crystal Serenity, Panama Canal, 12/08
HAL Oosterdam, Alaska, 5/08

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Cool

I'm not happy about this! I had heard rumors that something like this was going to occur.

Nancy

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm with you on this Nancy!

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What?

So here we go!! This is really rotten. There is a better way to be sure all get a chance at the alternative dining. Since I cannot eat in Silk Rd. , that means I pay to dine in Prego the second time? I don't think so. This is a bunch of cackamamie bean counting and not something that looks good for Crystal. Guess I really am going to go on Regent again. joyous

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is NOT nickel and diming, it is FULL BLOWN HIGHWAY ROBBERY! My last cruise, the specialty restaurants were largely empty except for officers! Instead of charging me, maybe they should institute a guests first policy. I too am reconsidering WC 2015 with this announcement, unfortunately I have already bought air tickets for 2014. I have no problem with 1 reservation in advance, I have no problem with no second reservations until day 3 or 4 so everyone gets a chance to make one but why let the seats go empty or be filled by officers? Let the downgrades begin.

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have sent an Email protesting this to Crystal, suggest everyone else who feels the same do so as well. Loud squeaky wheels do get noticed.
Currently, when reserving a large table in advance, you need the other's booking numbers. I have NO problem with fairness or sharing, this is bean counting, pure and simple!

Caryll

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mass market

This is how a luxury line evolves into a mass market line. There are better ways to create equal oppportunity dining. One just involves saying "no" to frequent repeaters!! I have already sent one of many emails to Crystal. joyous

Last edited by joyous; October 15th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Note that this new policy also includes the Sushi Bar:

. The Sushi Bar will follow the same policy as the specialty restaurants. The first visit is complimentary. Subsequent visits will require a $30 fee.

Kay

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here are my jumbled thoughts…

This is very disappointing. In the grand scheme of things, $30 isn’t a lot of money, and I get the behaviour they are trying to drive with this, however there are a number of things that just don’t sit well. I read the FAQ and you will presented with the bill at the end of dinner – isn’t that what “all inclusive” was trying to prevent? We’re all about ambiance, you will never see a bill, etc? Also – even if you want to eat at the sushi bar or just have an appetizer, you will be paying the full price. And if you only like one of the specialty restaurants you’re SOL and cannot transfer the “free reservation” (there it is, talking about what’s free and what’s not on Crystal – that leaves a bad taste in my mouth).

I am also trying to remember how it was before AI – was there a nominal fee for specialty restaurants? I don’t think there was, and I remember discussing back in 2010 why I would pay for a luxury line, and mentioning the lack of nickel & diming, including specialty restaurants.

And as far as letting everyone try a restaurant – wouldn’t instituting a gentle reminder say a couple of weeks before the cruise or on your first day that you can make a reservation work better than taking away privileges that your customers are now used to?

Ultimately what concerns me here is whether this becomes a trend. What’s next?...

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Crystal could create a fair reservation system without the $30 per person fee.
The only "enhancement" here is revenue enhancement.

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

One question did the new President start yet and is this her doing? I can see where they are trying to discourage numerous visits so everyone has a chance to eat there but to charge.They always made one reservation before and others were done on board. If the Matre'D can't keep track who has been there numerous times they need new people!

Before AI they charged $7. per person gratuity. Now it is $30. Well I am not happy and maybe it is time to start rethinking WC15 and the cruise we have booked in 14.

It is not a matter of affording the $30 it is just annoying that they went AI and now are starting to nickel and dime us. What's next coin laundry, paying in the bistro. This is how it starts to turn into dare I say it Carnival!

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marienbad View Post
Crystal could create a fair reservation system without the $30 per person fee.
The only "enhancement" here is revenue enhancement.
Yes, there used to be a $7.00 gratuity in the spec. Restaurants. Does anyone know if PH guests will still be able to order room service from those two menus? Once, on The PG, we saw a woman order room service from the main dining room to be delivered to her in the specialty restaurant . . . She liked that menu, that day, better; it worked

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

And so it begins! Furious! Taking the Crystal out of Crystal and going down the Silversea path......
Been there, done that. Changing plans for 2014
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the one’s you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore Dream.” Mark Twain

Old October 15th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I suspect that Crystal expects some degree of blowback on this board, but how can we convince them that this change is not in anyones interest?

Closed Thread