Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 1st time cruiser with unadventurous husband

Going on our first cruise in Nov with my wonderful husband whose idea of fun is sleeping late and watching T.V. He doesn't like to try new things, where I will try anything at least once. We will be on the Carnival Triumph out of Galveston, visiting Progreso and Cozumel. Booked a balcony on the Panorama deck, where I hope to at least coax him out to the pool. He doesn't mind if I go off by myself. Any suggestions of things that might tempt him to leave the room, much less the ship? This is his vacation, he only gets one week a year. I get quite a bit more. Have promised to let him do things his way, but hope he can be convinced to have a little adventure.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Take your highlighter for your daily activity sheet they put in your room. High light the things you are interested in and then hand it to him and say, look this over....what do you think. You never know, something might sound interesting to him.

As he mingles with others he may find that cruising is really nice and if you want to swim, he can sit by the pool and read or nap.

I wish you luck. It is hard to get others to do what they do not want, but im betting that he will enjoy the balcony with maybe some coffee or a drink (which ever he prefers)

9/28/2014 - NCL Sky - 4 day Bahamas
6/3/2013 - NCL Sun - Alaska

8/20/2011 - NCL Star - Alaska
10/2009 - NCL Pride of America - Hawaii

Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Mustang View Post
Going on our first cruise in Nov with my wonderful husband whose idea of fun is sleeping late and watching T.V. He doesn't like to try new things, where I will try anything at least once. We will be on the Carnival Triumph out of Galveston, visiting Progreso and Cozumel. Booked a balcony on the Panorama deck, where I hope to at least coax him out to the pool. He doesn't mind if I go off by myself. Any suggestions of things that might tempt him to leave the room, much less the ship? This is his vacation, he only gets one week a year. I get quite a bit more. Have promised to let him do things his way, but hope he can be convinced to have a little adventure.
My husband was like this and loved cruising. He always worked so hard that I enjoyed seeing him have a week to just relax and do nothing. Nothing pleased him more than to have a great lunch followed up by a nap. The plus side was he would then stay up later and we could have a great time.

Give him a couple of days and my guess is that he'll be getting his "second wind" and be ready to join in the fun.

Have a great cruise!
Norwegian Spirit 2010
Carnival Fantasy 2012
Norwegian Jewel 2014

Norwegian Pearl 2015
11-Day Southern Caribbean from Miami

Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

What does he enjoy doing? Is he interested in history? You might get him involved with planning shore excursions.

Go to Carnival website and print out some information about shore excursions for those ports. Give them to him and ask what he thinks about them. We have been to both ports of call. There are some great things to do there.

You can view my wife's cruise pictures in the Travel section of her website Nancy's Oasis
and at the links below.

2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Cozumel and Progresso (Chichen Itza)
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Anniversary in 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest ~ Eastern Caribbean Ports: Ports: Nassau, Freeport, and Key West
2010 Caribbean Princess ~ New England/Canada Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, St. John NS, Halifax NS
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Progreso (Uxmal) Cozumel
2007 Carnival Conquest ~ Western Caribbean Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

Last edited by JimAOk1945; October 22nd, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

wonderful husband whose idea of fun is sleeping late and watching T.V

so let him sleep late and watch T.V... how long has he been at his job that he only gets 1 week a year?

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

What does he like to do?
I know you say sleep and TV, but there must be something. What does he do with his friends or family? With you? Certainly you didn't just watch tv on your first date?

However, being that he gets only this 1 week off, let him have some R&R. There are tons of activities you can do without him.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Just let him sleep and watch TV because that's what he WANTS to do and does not care if you do what you enjoy.

On port stops will he be OK with doing something on those with you?

LuLu
~~~~

Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The TV programs are pretty weak on cruise ships. If he sleeps in - he maybe ready for a show or some music after dinner.
Crystal - Harmony
Cunard - QE2
RCCL - Nordic Prince, Song of Norway, Monarch, Vision, Navigator, Radiance,
..... Grandeur, Freedom, Mariner, Liberty, Oasis, Allure
Carnival - Tropical , Paradise
Avalon - Poetry (riverboat)
A&K - Lafayette (barge)
Seabourn - Pride
Oceania - Insignia, Marina
coming up Oasis and Solstice

Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:03 PM
50,000+ Club

It's his vacation, too...let him do what he wants...and you do what you want! As long as you get together for meals and sleep (or whatever!)...you're good to go!

Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:04 AM
50,000+ Club

The good thing is on the ship you can do different things he can do what he prefers while you can do what you prefer.

Keith

Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

I feel your pain. (LOL) I've been married for 40 years to a guy who spent a week on a cruise balcony reading (and I am not making this up) "The Punic Wars" followed by a real page-turner "Viruses, Plagues and Peoples."
If he's happy, I'm happy.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
5,000+ Club

Join the club. My DH is another one who can do nothing and have a great time doing it. He does love to eat and we spend breakfast, lunch and dinner together. And then he is with fellow passengers and has no problem mingling.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

The great thing about a cruise, is that you have the option to do different things without being too far from each other.

Have you thought about buying him a leash and collar? It is quite common to see men on a cruise being led by their wives
Caribbean Princess / Caribbean - Oct 18th, 2014
Caribbean Princess / Caribbean - May 26th, 2014
Crown Princess / Caribbean - Jan 18, 2014
Caribbean Princess / Can_NE - Sept 21, 2013
Star Princess / Alaska - June 29th, 2013
Ruby Princess / Caribbean - Jan 20th, 2013
Celebrity Silhouette / Caribbean - Jan 13th, 2013
Carnival Freedom / Caribbean - May 19th, 2012
Island Princess / Panama Canal - Jan 18th, 2012
Crown Princess / Caribbean - Jan 15th, 2011
Celebrity Summit / Bermuda - May 30th, 2010
Ruby Princess / Caribbean - Jan 9th, 2010
Celebrity Constellation / Caribbean - Nov 10th, 2008
Emerald Princess / Caribbean - Jan 17th, 2008
Celebrity Constellation / Caribbean - Nov 7th, 2006
Norwegian Dawn / Caribbean - April 26th, 2006
Carnival Pride / Bermuda - Aug 3rd, 2003
Grand Princess / Caribbean - June 1st, 2002

Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Bring back a pool boy to your cabin, apologize for disturbing your husband, and show him what fun is.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

We've never cruised Carnival, but there must be a bar on one of the top decks. Ask him to come up there during the day, because the view is wonderful. Be sure to attend the First Timer's reception. On our first Princess cruise, they told us of some nice hideaway lounges to try. A balcony room is a good choice if he's planning to spend a lot of time in the room, because of those floor to ceiling windows.
Canada/New England: Jewel 9/09, Grandeur 10/14
Eastern Caribbean: Independence 12/13
Western Caribbean: Splendour 1/07, Voyager 1/08, Voyager 12/09, Voyager 12/10, Mariner 1/12, Navigator 2/14
Hawaii: Sapphire 12/11
Panama Canal: Ryndam 12/99
Pacific Coastal: Century 9/2013
Transatlantic/Norwegian Fjords: Legend 4/14

Upcoming Cruises

Hawaii, Alaska, Snowbird Migration+Eastern Caribbean, Australia + Transpacific

Last edited by knittinggirl; October 23rd, 2013 at 09:19 AM.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Getting one week off a year isn't enough to recharge someone's batteries, so to speak, maybe he is tired just thinking about running around during his week off? Can you ask him to think about picking one or two excursions that will stretch his legs and get some fresh air? Ones that are only a few hours long so he has the rest of the day to relax the way he wants to?

Some ports have plenty of places to visit within walking distance (or water taxi) of the ship. You can always start off slow. Ask him if he would be agreeable to try that. He would be able to sleep in, visit, then return to the ship and relax the rest of the day.

Enjoy your vacation, either way you are going to have a great time .

[size="1"]"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than the things you DID do. So sail away from the safe harbor. Cast off the bow lines. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."--Mark Twain

RCL - Nordic Empress 1994 - Bahamas - Honeymoon
CCL - Imagination 1996 - Caribbean - Family Vacation
RCI - Monarch of the Seas 1999 - Caribbean - Family Vacation
RCI - Empress of the Seas July 2004 - Bermuda - Anniversary Vacation
RCI - Enchantment July 2005 - Nova Scotia - Graduation Vacation
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2008 - Bermuda - Family and Friends Vacation
RCI - Enchantment of the Seas April 2011 - Bahamas
NCL- Jewel - June 2011 - Bahamas/Florida - Family Surprise Vacation
RCI - Explorer of the Seas - March 2012 Caribbean -Ken and Connie's Birthday Celebration
RCI - Explorer of the Seas - December 2012 Caribbean - Family Christmas Vacation
RCI - Enchantment of the Seas - April 2013 - Caribbean - Friend's Getaway
RCI - Grandeur of the Seas - December 2013 - Family Christmas Vacation
RCI - Quantum of the Seas - January 2015 - Friend's Getaway
RCI - Anthem of the Seas - April 2016 - Friend's Getaway

Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

If I had only one weeks vacation and my DH got "quite a bit more" I would also want to enjoy it on my own terms. If I were you I would leave him the daily cruise paper with what I plan on doing highlighted and ask him to take a look at it and highlight in a different color anything that he would like to do either with or without me. I would also bring a dry erase board to help coordinate meeting times for meals etc.. I would keep my "promise" and "let him do things his way".
Enjoy your cruise.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Your husband sounds exactly like my husband! His idea of a perfect day is watching the Weather Channel (what a suprise, that's what he's doing right now!). He's already asked me if the ship has the Weather Channel. I told him to go up on the sundeck and if it's wet then it might be raining!

I'm taking him on his first cruise next year. He's not big on swimming, doesn't drink, and doesn't read. But when we go on vacation about once every 5 or 6 years, he lets me plan everything. But I also make sure that I throw in a couple of things that I might not want to do but that I know he will enjoy and I do them anyway.

It took me years to even get him to try a cruise. He always says that if he wanted to be on a ship then he would have joined the Navy instead of Air Force. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he has enough of a good time that he'll agree to go again. And I'm starting him out in a suite to increase those chances!

06-09-2012 Norwegian Gem First Cruise - Happy Birthday To Me!!

Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

The weather channel is not available on the ship. BUT, he can take a rock to check out the weather.

If the rock is wet, it's raining.
If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.
If the rock is white, it is snowing.
If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
If the rock is under water, you missed the 7 short and one long blast of the horn.
If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.
If the rock has white splats on it, watch out for birds.
RCCL 48 - days

Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadroy View Post
The weather channel is not available on the ship. BUT, he can take a rock to check out the weather.

If the rock is wet, it's raining.
If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.
If the rock is white, it is snowing.
If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
If the rock is under water, you missed the 7 short and one long blast of the horn.
If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.
If the rock has white splats on it, watch out for birds.
I almost bought one of those weather gauges at a shop while traveling!

06-09-2012 Norwegian Gem First Cruise - Happy Birthday To Me!!