Small Fire on Noordam 10/26/13

JavaJunkie

We are currently sailing on the Noordam, and had a bit of excitement two mornings ago. Shortly after 10:30am, one of the ship's alarms sounded, and I started to comment that they had forgotten to announce it was a drill. Just then the captain came on to tell us that we had just heard the fire alarm and it was NOT a drill. The fire team should report to the aft coffee machine, and all crew should stand by.

Shane our cruise director came on with specific information for different members of the ship's crew, and Paul and I decided this was not the time to head for Lido for breakfast. About five minutes later our captain came back on to announce the “all clear” for passengers and most staff, but the rescue crew should maintain their stations. We headed for shore.

When we returned, we headed up for Lido – and the entrance was blocked! We had to go down a floor at the aft elevators, walk through the hallway of passenger cabins, and go back up midship. They had managed to get “Pizza and Pasta” and “Asian” open, but everything else was blocked and they had a hot line and salad bar set up next to the pool. They had re-appropriated the Terrace Grill condiment area for fresh fruit and beverages, and desserts were tucked next to the bar on folding tables. They apparently didn't appreciate how many people wanted dessert – the line completely blocked the bar! In addition to daily plated desserts and bread pudding, there were tubs of chocolate and vanilla ice cream (and three kinds of topping) since it turns out that is the single most popular item at Lido.

Every chair around the pool was occupied with someone laying in the sun, or couples perched eating lunch, and strangers eating together occupied the tables. We finally got a table in Lido next to the pizza and pasta station, and I had a great time people-watching. Many people were all ready off the ship when the fire had been announced, so they didn't know why things were different. People kept walking up to the doors partitioning off the back part of Lido, reading the sign saying lunch would be served poolside, and then trying to open the doors. Or someone would walk up to the area that usually had the bread pudding, read the same sign, and then ask someone where the bread pudding was. My DHl even overheard an irate guest telling a staff member that poolside dinner after a long day was one thing, but they shouldn't close half of Lido just as people were returning from shore excursions.

I took my camera back upstairs after lunch, and they were just starting to open up the closed area. There was a very heavy smell of electrical smoke, and the floor was covered with glittering flakes of glass, too small to sweep up. The entire aft beverage station was completely cleared, all the access “cupboard” doors below the station were open, and the area was still barricaded with chairs. We didn't go up for dinner, but by the next morning all was clear.

I've attached photos of the sign redirecting us through the passenger hallway, and the emptied coffee station. Kudos to the crew for handling the situation promptly!

1730753437_P1000443-Copy(640x480).jpg.a8f7848ca0901e3cac4710500d9fd70c.jpg

1911337715_P1000446(640x479).jpg.4715be2577aadee160fad6b2b2757d5b.jpg

874834977_P1000440(640x480).jpg.b556c473b2e899b35c258d7c29867339.jpg

Wow! You did indeed have some excitement. Thanks for taking the time to come on and share with us.

Sounds like it was well handled except by some passengers who don't know how to read;)

Glad the situation was quickly resolved!

We had a fire on the Noordam also; on the way to Florence. 4 a.m. I smelled smoke and saw it from a vent. We called to report, grabbed our life jacket, put on some clothes and shoes and went up to our lifeboat. We were the only ones up there!! the fire (smoke) was in an a/c motor further down our hall. Our neighbors were slower to get out of their rooms and emergency crew sent them to a dining room. It was very weird being alone up there. Luckily we had a veranda door to help the smoke leave.

Seems to me, the crew was very efficient and everything after was thought out well. I am sure they wanted to open all the food services there; I bet they rather not have to cart everything out further down the deck. I bet people would have crabbed about eating with a dense smell of smoke! Be thankful!

Given that people don't read signs (and that people have a hard time creating typo-free signs ["Temporary Closed"???]), a better solution would have been to put a person at each closed-off entrance to briefly explain the issue and politely redirect people.

Someone who was not on the ship during the announcements shouldn't be chastised for expecting to enter the Lido upon his or her return. Some human contact at the entrances could have headed off a lot of the carping.

And yes, I know some would have continued to carp. But it's not fair to assume reasonable people wouldn't have reacted differently given the information about what happened.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like they handled it rather well - some pax get stressed when they can't access food easily;) I've also been on a ship when a fire has broken out, it's very scary until the all-clear is given.

We had a fire on the Noordam also; on the way to Florence. 4 a.m. I smelled smoke and saw it from a vent. We called to report, grabbed our life jacket, put on some clothes and shoes and went up to our lifeboat. We were the only ones up there!! the fire (smoke) was in an a/c motor further down our hall. Our neighbors were slower to get out of their rooms and emergency crew sent them to a dining room. It was very weird being alone up there. Luckily we had a veranda door to help the smoke leave.

Seems to me, the crew was very efficient and everything after was thought out well. I am sure they wanted to open all the food services there; I bet they rather not have to cart everything out further down the deck. I bet people would have crabbed about eating with a dense smell of smoke! Be thankful!

Scarey! Very scarey! Thank God it was not wide spread...

On board the Volendam, heading for Suva, the emergency alarm sounded at approximately 1.10 am October 13th, the officer of the watch, announced a possible fire in the engine room, requested the fire crews to turn out, passengers to await instruction.

Then the Captain calmly announced that they don't believe anything serious, to stay calm.

A few minutes later, the Captain then gave the all clear, stating that smoke from the incinerator leaked out, setting off the engine room alarms, and to enjoy the rest of the night on the Volendam.

Were told that some passengers had dressed and were in hallways.

Archived