Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Size of groups on excursions?

We just returned from Viking's Passage to Eastern Europe. While overall we enjoyed the cruise the size of groups on excursions was 40+ and that was a serious challenge for my sanity. We did use the QuietVox system so we could hear well and didn't need to huddle around the guide but that is just too many people in a group for my liking.

Each stop involved a bathroom break which for that many people took forever and in one instance used up all but 15 minutes of our time at a museum.

Do any other companies consistently use smaller groups? I think I read one AMA review where they said there were 20 in a group but maybe it depends on the itinerary or how full the ship is.

Also dividing passengers into "gentle walkers" or "active" groups seems like a no-brainer. Again I think AMA is the one that does that or maybe others do as well?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Leslie

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are just back from an AMA cruise. I think that the max in our groups was about 24, we also used the QuietVox system and they broke our groups up into gentle walkers, active and regular walkers for the larger tours. If it was a smaller group, there was still always a gentle walkers group.

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

thanks -- it does sound like AMA will be one to seriously consider for next time. 24 is do-able!

Old October 28th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I hate hate hate waiting around for people. I've always been a little concerned about the included tours on river cruises. Gak. Fingers crossed our groups are a little smaller

Upcoming: Avalon Vista Christmas Market 12/2014
Pacific Princess 12 day Black Sea 9/4/11

HAL Westerdam 15 day Panama Canal 10/08
Pacific Princess Alaska 9/5/2007

HAL Maasdam Southern Caribbean 10/28/06
HAL Alaska 1986

Old October 28th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Cruise Critic Host

We had very little waiting around on our AMA shore excursions. The group sizes were kept small, and they split into gentle (only about 6 people, so that worked well for them and everybody else), several regular, and often an active. We always took the active, but since the guides had to get their entire spiel in I'm not sure we really walked any faster (except once when it made all the difference for our getting to Mass on time!).

Booked:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 9-2016

Sailed:
Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014
AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013
Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013
Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013
Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012
Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011
Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003
Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Old October 28th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I hope yours are, too! The main waiting was really the bathroom breaks. I don't know why the guides couldn't somehow stagger that like point it out and say "sometime during our hour here feel free to come back and use the WC." I guess then they risk everyone trying to go at once at the end of the excursion and end up late getting everyone back on the bus or back to the boat.
Or maybe our experience was unique and most guides know better how to handle that.

But 40+ people moving in a group is just slow, slow, slow no matter how agile people are so we had to be very patient.

It wasn't enough to ruin our trip or anything but I'll probably avoid a company that uses big groups in the future. Other than that we really enjoyed the Viking experience.

Old October 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

jazzbeau - sorry I missed your post before I replied. I love what I'm hearing about AMA's small groups. Other than that did you enjoy everything else about your cruise? The ship you were on, etc.? I think I did read your post with your review a while back - I'll have to take another look now that AMA is seeming like a real possibility.

Old October 28th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

On our AMA river cruise, we were divided into groups and given a color card. That told us the color of the lollipop that our guide carried. We were never offered the opportunity to have slow or active walking groups. We traveled on large busses that were about 2/3 full. I would estimate that each group consisted of 25 to 30 people. One tour was poorly attended and had less than 15 participants.

Old October 28th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

On Avalon cruise July 2013 we had 4 tour groups each day, different colours that you could pick each day, one was for slow walkers, each group had 20 to 25 in. All tours had headsets that you could hear guide even if you were 50 to 80m away. Was very well done.
You could also leave group and find your own way back to boat or bus by a given time. You were always provide with emergency phone number and map of location with ship dock clearly labelled.

2006 July - Holland America-Volendam, Alaska Inside Passage
2013 July - Avalon - Artistry II, Basel to Amsterdam
2014 July - Avalon - Vista, Prague to Budapest

Yes we escape NZ to explore the world as much as we can in the winter.

Old October 28th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

On a Tauck cruise there is a maximum of 118 passengers and all of our groups were around 18-20 people. It was perfect. If you travel on a boat that has 170-200 passengers then it is logical to me that the groups will be much, much larger. The boat capacity is just one of the criteria we used when selecting our Southern France river cruise for 2014.

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky333 View Post
jazzbeau - sorry I missed your post before I replied. I love what I'm hearing about AMA's small groups. Other than that did you enjoy everything else about your cruise? The ship you were on, etc.? I think I did read your post with your review a while back - I'll have to take another look now that AMA is seeming like a real possibility.
Yes, we loved everything about our cruise. AMAcello is one of their older ships at this point (relatively - nothing on AMA is very old). It is very well designed and maintained. We had a French balcony, which I think is better than a balcony because it doesn't steal any sf from the room (the only better design is I think on Uniworld, where the top half of the glass wall drops down so you have the entire cabin width open from waist level up). The food was great, the wines were good (and varied - a different red and white every dinner) and liberally poured.

The tours were also great. When the center of town was a ways away (or for the multiple town tours) they had several coaches. The coaches were never filled, and there were more guides than coaches so the walking groups were quite manageable. When you turned your Quietvox on it synched to the frequency of the nearest guide - so I guess if you didn't like your guide you could just find another group and re-synch [there was only one guide we didn't like, and thankfully she paired up with a better one for our Strasbourg canal cruise].

I also don't think the prices on AMA are higher than other lines, when you count the inclusives and the quality.

Booked:
AMA Provence 9-3-2015

Sailed:
AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013

Old October 29th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We just returned from Viking's Passage to Eastern Europe. While overall we enjoyed the cruise the size of groups on excursions was 40+ and that was a serious challenge for my sanity. We did use the QuietVox system so we could hear well and didn't need to huddle around the guide but that is just too many people in a group for my liking.

Each stop involved a bathroom break which for that many people took forever and in one instance used up all but 15 minutes of our time at a museum.

Do any other companies consistently use smaller groups? I think I read one AMA review where they said there were 20 in a group but maybe it depends on the itinerary or how full the ship is.

Also dividing passengers into "gentle walkers" or "active" groups seems like a no-brainer. Again I think AMA is the one that does that or maybe others do as well?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Leslie

The groups on the Passage to Eastern Europe were bigger than on many of our other cruises - but I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that many of the excursions were dependent on transportation by bus - and they had to jockey the groups to prevent overwhelming the area we were to visit. (ie: 3 or 4 spots to visit, and the buses rotated to each area....)

Not sure if I explained that well... Does it make sense??

Fran

Old October 29th, 2013, 03:09 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruisefan View Post
We are just back from an AMA cruise. I think that the max in our groups was about 24, we also used the QuietVox system and they broke our groups up into gentle walkers, active and regular walkers for the larger tours. If it was a smaller group, there was still always a gentle walkers group.
Was this a river cruise ???
Holland: 9 voyages; 138 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages; 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages; 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages; 35 days
Vantage: River 2 voyage 36 days
GRAND TOTAL: 64 voyages -590 days

NOT YET SAILED
Holland Ryndam 4/14 - 19 days
Holland Maasdam 6/14 -14 days
Holland Eurodam 8/14 -18 days
Princess Coral 10/14-11 days
Holland Prinsendam 11/14 -28 days
Holland Ryndam 1/15 -14 days
Holland Maasdam 3/15 -14 days
Holland Amsterdam 5/15 - 16 days

Holland Veendam 6/15 - 14 days
Vantage River Cruise 8/15 - 21 days
Holland Prinsendam 10/15 - 28 days

Old October 29th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks to all for the additional feedback.

Franski - I wondered too if those large groups had something to do with that particular itinerary or if it's just a Viking thing. Have you done any other Viking trips which used smaller groups?

Old October 29th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Running the numbers. If a Viking Long ship holds 190 5 buses would seems to make sense.

Are you saying they had less than 5.

Old October 29th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know the # of buses but they were all full.

Old October 29th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Cruise Critic Host

Just because the buses were full doesn't mean the walking tour groups have to be that big. They could have more guides than buses. That's what AMA did.

Booked:
AMA Provence 9-3-2015

Sailed:
AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013

Old October 29th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by we're sailing away.... View Post
As shown in my signature: AmaWaterways AmaCello Enchanting Rhine (Amsterdam to Basel with extension to Lucerne and Zurich) Aug-Sept. 2013

Booked:
AMA Provence 9-3-2015

Sailed:
AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013

Old October 29th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by we're sailing away.... View Post
Yes I think AMA only does river cruises.

Old October 29th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks to all for the additional feedback.

Franski - I wondered too if those large groups had something to do with that particular itinerary or if it's just a Viking thing. Have you done any other Viking trips which used smaller groups?

No, that was our 1st with Viking....

Fran