Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.

Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Old November 1st, 2013, 09:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Does Crystal have Block Parties ???

Laura posted this on the U.K. Cruisers forum:

A curious event was listed on the daily programme for the first evening of my recent Regent Seven Seas cruise. It was a ‘block party.’ It was scheduled to coincide with sailaway, and apparently it’s a tradition with Regent. One that no other line has, as far as I know.

The cruise director explained in his welcome announcement that the ‘block party’ was the time to step out of your cabin into the corridor, have a drink and greet your neighbours. In the corridor.

Well, I normally like to be on deck for sailaway. And I can’t think of anything I’d less like to do than meet my neighbours.

Being a mildly unsociable person, I go on cruises because I love ships, I love the sea, and I love visiting different ports. I’m not actively seeking to meet other people; if that happens, it happens. I grumpily decided that I would sneak up on deck and avoid the whole thing.

So I opened my door, only to be greeted by two beaming cabin stewards with bottles and trays of canapés. Only one couple was around, standing outside their door, looking embarrassed. We greeted each other politely and I made my excuses, selected a cube of cheese and hurried off to wave goodbye to Civitavecchia. I was waylaid by a travelling companion and we ended up in the bar where I canvassed opinion from others (the group of Brits I was travelling with) about the concept of a corridor party.

“A really good idea,” said one. “I’ve sailed with Regent before and it’s been a real laugh.” “Harmless fun,” said another. “Although sometimes neighbours can be too friendly when encouraged; once I had one who practically climbed around the balcony to be sociable.”

“Just, no,” said a third. “Not for me. Cringe-worthy. That’s why I’m here, in the bar.” Each to his (or her) own, then. I really don’t mean to be a killjoy, but the idea of this enforced jollity in a corridor seems most odd. I’m clearly in a minority because when I went back to my cabin, the party in every corridor I passed was in full swing and the (already included) booze was flowing. Regent is clearly onto something with its block parties, although whether the concept would work with a shipload of stiff-upper-lip Brits is another matter.

How well do you really want to know your neighbours? A polite ‘hello’ on passing in the corridor, or life stories swapped before you’ve even left port?
Let us know.
Sue Bryant

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 2nd, 2013, 05:32 AM
50,000+ Club

Donna, I believe Regent is the only luxury line that has Block Parties.

Keith

Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Paul Gauguin does them as well.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

On our Regent cruises the block parties were held after we were out to sea. Before dinner but at least an hour after leaving the port.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with BillP1 . .

I don't ever remember seeing a Block Party at the same time as Sail Away.

Frequently there is a Sail Away party on the Pool Deck which of course depends on the port and the weather.

The Parties are very nice . . . I think the quoted poster is taking all of this too seriously. Relax and enjoy - it's a vacation!

Peggy

Last edited by xrvlcruiser; November 2nd, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Seabourn also does block parties, Keith. However the parties are never during a sail away, when those celebrations are on open decks around the Sky Bar. One may participate or not; it is a comfortable way to meet the neighbors after a day or two onboard.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
50,000+ Club

Thanks for sharing this winner. I didn't remember it from our Seabourn sailings, but we haven't been on Seabourn for quite awhile.

Keith

Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvlcruiser View Post
I agree with BillP1 . .

I don't ever remember seeing a Block Party at the same time as Sail Away.

Frequently there is a Sail Away party on the Pool Deck which of course depends on the port and the weather.

The Parties are very nice . . . I think the quoted poster is taking all of this too seriously. Relax and enjoy - it's a vacation!

Peggy
I also don't remember the block parties occurring at sail away time. We attended one on a Nov. transatlantic and my daughter and I did the one on our Alaska cruise in May. I think it's a great way to meet your neighbors. It doesn't involve any cruise long commitment, just a nice way to meet people.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like a great idea!!! Crystal -- are you listening?

Buenos Aires - Antarctica - Valparaiso, 12/13. Best. Cruise. Ever.
Crystal Serenity, Lisbon - Miami, 12/11. Next-to-Best. Cruise. Ever.
Crystal Symphony, Alaska, 5/11
Crystal Serenity, Meditteranean, 5/10
Crystal Serenity, Panama Canal, 12/08
HAL Oosterdam, Alaska, 5/08

Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation Block Parties sound like Fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvlcruiser View Post
I agree with BillP1. I don't ever remember seeing a Block Party at the same time as Sail Away. Frequently there is a Sail Away party on the Pool Deck which of course depends on the port and the weather.The Parties are very nice. I think the quoted poster is taking all of this too seriously. Relax and enjoy - it's a vacation! Peggy
YES. I was surprised to see it posted on the Cruise Critic U.K. Blog:

http://blog.cruisecritic.co.uk/index...hbours-onboard

Meeting the neighbours onboard.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

From the lunch "fam" visit to the Navigator--I can see how the block parties on a Regent ship can be handled. The Crystal ships have long corridors and the elevator lobbies would be where to circulate.

Some folks who are cruising on Crystal prefer to NOT have their names listed in the voyage guest books. I would guess they would be the ones who might opt out of many of the meet and mingle opportunities.

Crystal has nice public areas to meet folks and the bar service would offer more selection for drinks. Let's not copy a Regent tradition.

Last edited by 8dimsum; November 2nd, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dimsum View Post
From the lunch "fam" visit to the Navigator--I can see how the block parties on a Regent ship can be handled. The Crystal ships have long corridors and the elevator lobbies would be where to circulate.

Some folks who are cruising on Crystal prefer to NOT have their names listed in the voyage guest books. I would guess they would be the ones who might opt out of many of the meet and mingle opportunities.

Crystal has nice public areas to meet folks and the bar service would offer more selection for drinks. Let's not copy a Regent tradition.
I agree we don't need block parties. We did one on Regent and thought it was silly. On Crystal with all the nice lounges you can meet so many nice people. Also the meet & mingle is great for the CC members.

I am sure we will run into our neighbors eventually just passing down the corridor. What we can have is let's make a deal night for the speciality resturants.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 08:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite Travels View Post
I am sure we will run into our neighbors eventually just passing down the corridor. What we can have is let's make a deal night for the speciality resturants.
I agree on both counts. There's plenty of opportunities to meet other guests - assuming they want to be met of course. Some form of orchestrated introduction service in the corridors does nothing for me

Last edited by Bodogbodog; November 2nd, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

deleted

Last edited by xrvlcruiser; November 2nd, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

I always enjoyed it when Regent had the block party. Just like going to cruise critic, it was another way to get together with other passengers. One didn't have to join in if one didn't want to do it. As Peggy said, it was never held during the sail away. Isn't it great that we have a choice to attend or not attend.
Elaine

Old November 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Upon reflection, Crystal's laundry rooms have been known for their impromptu gatherings. Laundry Musters? Wash'n'wear bundles vs. Iron Out --- or a plain Press the Flesh?

Old November 3rd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We too always meet people in the laundry rooms.

I have been to several block parties on Regent and Paul Gauguin.
They are harmless and if you do not want to meet your neighbours just stay in your cabin or visit a bar..

Last edited by Emdee; November 3rd, 2013 at 02:39 PM.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default If I want a tacky cruise experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
We too always meet people in the laundry rooms.

I have been to several block parties on Regent and Paul Gauguin.
They are harmless and if you do not want to meet your neighbours just stay in your cabin or visit a bar..
Travel on Carnival or now Regent and Paul Gauguin too oivay! As well as their ridiculously high fares , especially for solo travelers, just another reason to leave them off my list of potential cruise lines. I do not drink and the attitude that one can stay in one's rooms or go to a bar is really obnoxious/selfish. Talk about a slippery slope ---->turn a high class luxury line into a party ship? I thinketh not!

Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

On our Regent cruise the Captain and the Cruise Director ran along every deck greeting people in the corridors. Harmless voluntary fun.

Future cruises booked:

Celebrity Infinity 4 December, 2014. Fort Lauderdale to Valparaiso.
Golden Princess 21 December, 2014.
Puerto Montt to Rio.
Celebrity Eclipse, 21 April, 2015. Miami to Southampton.
Silver Cloud 19 July, 2015. London to London via the Baltic.
Oceania Insignia 26 October, 2015. Hong Kong to Cape Town.
Celebrity Solstice 14 February, 2016. Auckland to Perth.
Celebrity Solstice 3 March, 2016. Perth to Sydney.

Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Haikou,

I've never been on Carnival so can't speak to anything there but I can't imagine that the very low key informal get together in the hall on Regent is anything like what you are insinuating.

And my take on what Emdee wrote is that it is your choice to go - or not. I don't drink either but have brought a glass of club soda from my refrigerator.

The point is not the drink but a nice way to meet your neighbors.

But again no one is knocking on your door and pulling you out of your cabin.

And I agree - so is the laundry.

Peggy

PS: Balloon man: I agree!

Last edited by xrvlcruiser; November 3rd, 2013 at 03:13 PM.