Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old November 4th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Syrup change on NCL?

I fully realize this is totally a "first world problem" but am slightly curious.

I just saw in a review of the Jewel that the syrup tasted disgusting. Interesting this was brought up as we had a syrup "problem" a couple weeks ago on the Breakaway. The syrup was absolutely disgusting - we actually thought it was spoiled/rancid and I reported it. Then we tried the syrup again the next day and it was the same. So I asked the Maitre d' about it and he said that they changed their supplier and this was a "different" kind of syrup - not maple flavored. He said they had been getting many complaints. He said they had this different syrup for awhile and was hoping it would change soon.

He did suggest using the "No Sugar Added" syrup and it did the trick - at least it was edible.

Has anyone else experienced this recently on other NCL ships?

NCL Sky (Alaska, 7 day from Seattle) - 9/00; NCL Star (Mexican Riviera, 8 day from LA) - 10/07; NCL Pride of America (Hawaii, 7 day) - 10/08; NCL Majesty (Bermuda, 7 day from Baltimore) - 08/09; NCL Spirit (Western Caribbean, 7 day from New Orleans) - 11/09; NCL Epic (Inaugural Transatlantic, 7 day from Southampton) - 06/10; NCL Sky (Bahamas, 4 day from Miami) - 09/10; NCL Spirit (Western Caribbean, 7 day from New Orleans) - 11/10; NCL Pearl (Eastern Caribbean, 7 day from Miami) - 03/11; NCL Star (Mexican Riviera, 7 day from LA) - 04/11; NCL Sky (Bahamas, 3 & 4 day from Miami) - 09/11; NCL Dawn (Southern Caribbean, 11 day from Miami) - 11/11; NCL Spirit (Western Caribbean, 7 day from New Orleans) - 4/8/12; NCL Dawn (Bermuda, 7 day from Boston) - 8/31/12; NCL Star (Western Caribbean, 7 day from New Orleans) - 11/11/12; NCL Gem (Caribbean, 9 day from NYC) - 02/23/13 - our FIRST SUITE !!!; NCL Breakaway (Bermuda, 7 day from NYC) - 06/16/13; NCL Breakaway (FL/Bahamas) - 10/13/13; NCL Jewel (Western Caribbean, 7 day from New Orleans - February 23, 2014); NCL Breakaway (Bermuda, 7 day from NYC - June 8, 2014)

Upcoming Cruises
NCL Dawn (Repo, 14 day from Boston to New Orleans - November 7, 2014)
NCL Getaway (Eastern Caribbean, 7 day from Miami - May 16, 2015)
NCL NCL Jewel (Mexican Riviera from LA - November 22, 2015)

Old November 4th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstilp View Post
I fully realize this is totally a "first world problem" but am slightly curious.

I just saw in a review of the Jewel that the syrup tasted disgusting. Interesting this was brought up as we had a syrup "problem" a couple weeks ago on the Breakaway. The syrup was absolutely disgusting - we actually thought it was spoiled/rancid and I reported it. Then we tried the syrup again the next day and it was the same. So I asked the Maitre d' about it and he said that they changed their supplier and this was a "different" kind of syrup - not maple flavored. He said they had been getting many complaints. He said they had this different syrup for awhile and was hoping it would change soon.

He did suggest using the "No Sugar Added" syrup and it did the trick - at least it was edible.

The new syrup probably saved NCL a nickel or a dime so they went ahead without considering quality or taste. Sounds about right.

Old November 4th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstilp View Post

I have been on the Gem and the Jewel in the last month. The syrup on the Gem was good but on the Jewel it was definitely different. It was almost a caramel tasting. I later asked specifically for maple syrup and it tasted much better.

Old November 4th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love my butler View Post
The new syrup probably saved NCL a nickel or a dime so they went ahead without considering quality or taste. Sounds about right.

I knew i forgot something........ off to hit the ignore button
Gr Princess June 01 Carib / Costa Medit Jan 04 Carib / NCL Sun March 06 Carib / NCL Pearl Sept 07 Alaska 40th Anniv / NCL Star Jan 08 Mex Riv / NCL Pearl May 08 2 Nite / NCL Spirit Apr 09 Carib / NCL Star Nov 2009 Mex Riv / NCL EPIC Aug 10 / NCL Pearl Oct 10 KJ & Mom / NCL Star Pac Coastal Sept 11 Big 65 for Larry / NCL Star from NO to Carib Jan 13 / NCL Sun to Alaska June 13 / NCL Epic 8 Day Carib Jan 14 / NCL POA Hawaii Oct 14 / NCL Dawn 14 Day Boston to New Orleans Oct 2015

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last edited by valleyvillage; November 4th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

hehehe. Those sun chip bags are really loud and annoying!
Norwegian Getaway - 01/10/15, S6 Aft Suite, 7 Night S Caribbean
COMPLETED CRUISES:
Disney Fantasy - 01/18/14, 05E Aft Balcony, 7 Night W Carribean
Norwegian Jewel - 01/18/13, BA Balcony, 2 night NYC CTN
RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 11/18/2012, Jr Suite, 7 night Caribbean
Norwegian Gem - 09/28/12, BA Balcony, 2 night NYC CTN
Norwegian Dawn - 01/25/12, SF (AD) Penthouse, 11 night S Caribbean
Carnival Pride - 10/16/11, Vista Suite, 7 night Bahamas
Norwegian Star - 01/01/11, AE Penthouse, 15 night Panama Canal
Cunard, Queen Mary 2 -07/01/10, A2 Balcony, 5 Night East Coast
Norwegian Dawn - 01/10/10, AE Penthouse, 5 night W. Caribbean
Carnival Spirit - 01/07/09, Cat 8 Balcony, 8 night Mexican Riviera
Norwegian Sky - 11/24/08, BB Balcony, 4 night Bahamas
Norwegian Pearl - 09/09/07, AC Penthouse, 7 night Alaska
Norwegian Dawn - 05/04/07, BA Balcony, 1 night NYC CTN
Norwegian Dawn - 01/07/07, AF Mini-Suite, 11 night W. Caribbean
Carnival Victory - 09/30/06, Cat 11 Suite, 7 night Canada/New England
NCLA Pride of America - 01/07/06, AE Suite, 7 night Hawaii

Old November 5th, 2013, 12:09 AM
5,000+ Club

Use pure maple syrup or just have a beer instead.

Old November 5th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm usually the last one to complain about the food on cruiseships...HOWEVER....I am fresh off the Dawn and the Carnival Pride (almost back to back)....and I must say....
The buffet on the Dawn was super disappointing....one morning (and only one morning) we had breakfast at the buffet and it was beyond bad....my friend actually spit out her first (and only) bite of her 'fresh made' waffle...(you could tell by looking it was severely undercooked)...the scrambled eggs were tasteless and the bacon was the saltiest bacon I'd ever had in my life....I even went back up and tried an 'eggs benedict'....I couldn't eat it due to the fact that I had forgotten my chainsaw to get through the English muffin....

I have been on more than a dozen cruises in the last few years....and this is the first time I've been on a ship that's buffet has completely turned me off.....

I just kept thinking to myself.....omg, the head-chef can't think this is good?? can he??

Old November 5th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite View Post
Use pure maple syrup or just have a beer instead.
Good idea Voodoo maple bacon beer
Sun-5
Jewel-3
Pearl-9
Dawn-2
Epic-2
Getaway-

Old November 5th, 2013, 06:18 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNPJN View Post
Good idea Voodoo maple bacon beer
Had it.
Not on a ship, of course.

Old November 5th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love my butler View Post
Deleted comment!
NCL Sun to Alaska 7/2008-penthouse
NCL Sky to Bahamas 9/2009-OS
NCL Dawn to Canada/New England 10/2010-OS
None for 2011
NCL Sky to Bahamas 4/2012-OS
NCL Jewel Pacific Coastal 9/2012 - first GV
NCL Gem to Bahamas 8/2013-2 bedroom Haven Suite
NCL Sky Bahamas 8/2014 - OS

Last edited by NayRN; November 5th, 2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: I have manners....I just forgot for a moment!

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Haven't tried the new and not-so-improved syrup but I have to smile at the thread. When I was young, my mother decided to save a little money and buy Karo Syrup which she then flavored with maple flavoring. Yuk! It was horrible!! It didn't take long for the bottle to be banished to the back of the cupboard where it stayed for years (because my mom never threw anything away) becoming more dusty and gross with the passage of time.

On the other hand, DH grew up in Upstate NY near the Vermont border and will only eat pure maple syrup on his pancakes. And after years of only having maple syrup in the pantry, I have to agree.... It's yummy.

I'd even be willing to cough up a few extra nickels and dimes to pay for the pleasure of having pure maple syrup on my raisin bread French toast in the MDR.
South America & Cape Horn (NCL Sun-2/10)
Eastern Caribbean (NCL Pearl-11/10, HAL Westerdam-11/14)
The Best of the Mediterranean (NCL Jade-4/11)
Southern Caribbean & The Panama Canal (HAL Zuiderdam-11/11)
Norway, Iceland & The Faroe Islands (NCL Sun-9/12)

Bahamas (NCL Sky-11/12)
Alaska Northbound (NCL Sun-5/13)
South America & The Panama Canal (X Infinity-3/15)

Last edited by polySeraph; November 5th, 2013 at 07:59 AM.

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am not a pancake and waffle for breakfast guy, so I will stick with fresh made omelets and over easy eggs with plenty of bacon and sausage. So the foul tasting syrup will not bother me. All joking aside, I have read in numerous recent NCL reviews many complaints about the new syrup and watery powdered eggs in the buffets. I will go to the omelet station and order scrambled easy eggs with fresh eggs they break in front of me and do the same for my omelets. This way I avoid the powdered eggs and the premixed concoction they call eggs for the omelets. I have done this on all my previous cruises as I think all cruise lines are now using powdered eggs and pre mixed something for omelets.

No bacon police on NCL I hope.

Gold Star Cruises 1994 on Star of Texas the former Mardi Gras, Carnival's first cruise ship. She was a true rust bucket

CCL Fascination 1998
Cruise West Spirit of Endeavour 1999
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 2000
Celebrity Century 2008
HAL Volendam 2002 & 2003, Oosterdam 2005 & 2007 Westerdam 2006 & 2010. Nieuw Amsterdam 2011

Last edited by terrydtx; November 5th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've also read in several posts specifically about bad tasting syrup, and some general comments about NCL food being not very good at times. I hope NCL listens up and works on improving in these areas.

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Sounds like DH will be bringing his bottle of pure maple syrup on our next cruises~! Better for you anyways, doesn't have all the chemicals!

~~NCL~~
Sky~July 8-12 & July 15-19, 2013 # 1 & 2~ Total Rewards/CAS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CCL ~ Spirit~December 2, 2011~15day RT to Hawaii~(8)
CCL ~ Conquest~October 9, 2011 (7)
CCL ~ Conquest~October 10, 2010 (6)
CCL ~ Splendor~March 14, 2010 (5)
CCL ~ Paradise~January 8, 2010 (4)
CCL ~ Conquest~October 11, 2009 (3)
RCCL ~ Monarch of the Seas~November 2, 2007 ~ 40th Birthday Cruise(2)
CCL ~ Conquest~March 26, 2006 ~ Dinner with Capt. Massimo Marino (2)
CCL ~ Victory~April 29, 2005 (1)
RCCL ~ Monarch of the Seas~June 1999 (1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
74 Total Sea Days

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliezona09 View Post
Sounds like DH will be bringing his bottle of pure maple syrup on our next cruises~! Better for you anyways, doesn't have all the chemicals!
Oh my goodness, what a great idea! I'll have to add a small bottle of maple syrup to the list to put in my carry-on for next January. Maybe I'll throw in a small bag of pecans as well.
South America & Cape Horn (NCL Sun-2/10)
Eastern Caribbean (NCL Pearl-11/10, HAL Westerdam-11/14)
The Best of the Mediterranean (NCL Jade-4/11)
Southern Caribbean & The Panama Canal (HAL Zuiderdam-11/11)
Norway, Iceland & The Faroe Islands (NCL Sun-9/12)

Bahamas (NCL Sky-11/12)
Alaska Northbound (NCL Sun-5/13)
South America & The Panama Canal (X Infinity-3/15)

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaVacation View Post
I'm usually the last one to complain about the food on cruiseships...HOWEVER....I am fresh off the Dawn and the Carnival Pride (almost back to back)....and I must say....
The buffet on the Dawn was super disappointing....one morning (and only one morning) we had breakfast at the buffet and it was beyond bad....my friend actually spit out her first (and only) bite of her 'fresh made' waffle...(you could tell by looking it was severely undercooked)...the scrambled eggs were tasteless and the bacon was the saltiest bacon I'd ever had in my life....I even went back up and tried an 'eggs benedict'....I couldn't eat it due to the fact that I had forgotten my chainsaw to get through the English muffin....

I have been on more than a dozen cruises in the last few years....and this is the first time I've been on a ship that's buffet has completely turned me off.....

I just kept thinking to myself.....omg, the head-chef can't think this is good?? can he??
The English muffins on NCL in my experience have always been awful. Tough, tasteless and definitely a cheap brand.

Usually I scrape the eggs Benedict off the English muffin.
Norwegian Spirit 2010
Carnival Fantasy 2012
Norwegian Jewel 2014

Norwegian Pearl 2015
11-Day Southern Caribbean from Miami

Old November 5th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by polySeraph View Post
Haven't tried the new and not-so-improved syrup but I have to smile at the thread. When I was young, my mother decided to save a little money and buy Karo Syrup which she then flavored with maple flavoring. Yuk! It was horrible!! It didn't take long for the bottle to be banished to the back of the cupboard where it stayed for years (because my mom never threw anything away) becoming more dusty and gross with the passage of time.

On the other hand, DH grew up in Upstate NY near the Vermont border and will only eat pure maple syrup on his pancakes. And after years of only having maple syrup in the pantry, I have to agree.... It's yummy.

I'd even be willing to cough up a few extra nickels and dimes to pay for the pleasure of having pure maple syrup on my raisin bread French toast in the MDR.
The pure maple syrup is great in coffee too in lieu of sugar, yummm

Old November 5th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

I never use the syrup on the ships, or in any restaurant. You can pretty much guarantee that its not real maple syrup. Real maple syrup is not cheap and no business outside of an exclusive restaurant will buy it.

Usually its poorly flavored corn syrup. Sometimes they use low grade maple as flavoring. Low grade maple is really dark and kind of bitter and is good for coloring cheap syrups.

I guess Im a maple syrup snob

Sailed!

RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2005
-Bermuda
NCL Jade 7/2010 - Western Med. Italy,Spain, Monaco
NCL Sky 4/2011 - Bahamas
NCL Pride of America 9/2011 - Hawaii
NCL Jewel 6/2012 - Alaska
NCL Star 6/2013 - Baltic Capitals
NCL Dawn 4/2014 - Western Caribbean

Upcoming!

NCL Getaway 11/2014 - Eastern Caribbean
NCL Spirit 4/2015 - Canary Islands & North Africa

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Old November 5th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default always pure

This is why we always bring pure Vermont maple syrup with us when we travel. We usually bring a pint and have plenty to use and share. We have met some very interesting people when they start asking about maple syrup and the process of making it. We usually leave it for our cabin attendant when we're done our cruise. People, that is not syrup you're dumping on your breakfast. It's just plain nasty!