Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old November 5th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Is the fish, meat and poultry really frozen?

I just read a review for the Constellation and the reviewer said that they learned from a kitchen tour that meat, fish, and poultry are brought on frozen and kept for up to 4 months before being thawed and cooked. Could this be true? I don't expect a premier line to use frozen food products but am I just being naive?

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:11 PM
5,000+ Club

Yes.

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Should the chef shop at a farmers' market every morning instead?

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM
10,000+ Club

Yes,
They also have massive fridges (big enough to drive fork lifts around) to keep all the food refridgerated at a very constant temperature which helps preserve the food as well.

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would hope so! I would not want to be on day 7 or 10 or 14 with the meat/poultry that may have been brought on board fresh on day 1.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

I do not believe what you were told on the tour.

I am fairly certain they have a lower deck filled largely with chicken coups. I once made the mistake of entering a crew-only door when I was heading for a lower deck and saw the chicken feathers blowing in the air.

I have also heard very late at night what I believe is moo-ing coming from somewhere deep in the hold, so they almost certainly have cattle aboard.

I don't know about the fish, but it would be easy enough to lay nets behind the ship, also probably late at night.

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

You didn't mention the greenhouse where they grow the vegetables! Or the orchard!

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

meats thaw for three days, from frozen to ready to cook. fish is kept live, below the glass doors of the hull.

Fruits and veggies are fresh and if they run out they are brought aboard every port, they visit. so when you waste food it gets cooked and tossed to the sea, while other stuff saved till its ready to leave the ship.

take the kitchen tour, its very interesting,

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ok everyone, I hear you all...lol. I guess I'd feel better if everything was brought on fresh and then frozen as needed....maybe that's what I meant.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Doesn't the slugs that they call escargot come from the lawn?

🎅🎄
and doing more of doing less therefore I am working harder.

Warning: You will not be able to drink unlimited drinks all day long with the drink packages unless you start very early in the day. 🍸🍻🍺🍧☕

Important Health Information: WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN 🙌

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by miched View Post
Doesn't the slugs that they call escargot come from the lawn?

🎅🎄
The snails used for escargot are raised free-range on a ranch in the Midwest. A couple of times a year the fully-grown ones are rounded up and herded to market. This takes a looooooooooooooong time. Or course, there's always the dangers of snail rustling or, if spooked by a whiff of garlic, a snail stampede. Not a pretty sight. They can run as far as a hundred feet in a week, leaving slime trails everywhere. Terrible slip hazard.

Art
White Cloud 1983 (Windjammer, BVIs); Celebrity Summit 11/01 (Southern Carib); Sovereign of the Seas 6/03 (Bahamas); Sun Princess 11/03 (Southern Carib); Maasdam 6/04 (New England/Canada); Sun Princess 10/04 (Eastern Carib); Star Princess 4/05 (Western Carib); Carnival Glory 8/05 (Western Carib); Jewel of the Seas 2/07 (Eastern Carib); Mariner of the Seas 7/07 (Western Carib); Jewel of the Seas 1/08 (Western Carib); Diamond Princess 6/08 (Alaska); Crown Princess 1/09 (Eastern Carib); Island Princess 11/09 (Half-Panama Canal); Solstice 4/10 (Western Carib); Equinox 11/10 (Eastern Carib); Jewel of the Seas 10/11 (New England/Canada); Coral Princess 12/11 (Full Panama Canal); Emerald Princess 12/12 (Southern Caribbean Medley); Zuiderdam 12/13 (Half-Panama Canal); Nieuw Amsterdam 2/14 (Eastern Carib)

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wink As Long as They are Not Frozen.

I'm not even gonna ask how they get the frogs legs.
Celebrity Summit -March/2013
Carnival Glory -July/2013
Celebrity Constellation -March/2014
Upcoming Woo Hoo - First Princess Cruise !
Regal Princess-March/2015:

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukesailor View Post
the snails used for escargot are raised free-range on a ranch in the midwest. A couple of times a year the fully-grown ones are rounded up and herded to market. This takes a looooooooooooooong time. Or course, there's always the dangers of snail rustling or, if spooked by a whiff of garlic, a snail stampede. Not a pretty sight. They can run as far as a hundred feet in a week, leaving slime trails everywhere. Terrible slip hazard.

Art
lmao, :d

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstowe View Post
I'm not even gonna ask how they get the frogs legs.
Please...ask. I want to hear the answer to this one.

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:40 PM
20,000+ Club

OP, even the luxury lines use frozen supplies.

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripkat View Post
Ok everyone, I hear you all...lol.
Hey, you took the kidding really well. I bet you would be a nice person to cruise with. Happy sailing.

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Most of the cruise lines that I have done the tour on say that

they bring on food at the beginning for that cruise then haul any left off at the end.

Each cruise has just the food onboard for that one, that way they know it is "fresh".

Pac Coastal Celebrity Century, May 2014. Western Carib Crown Princess, Mar 2013; Mediterranean, Celebrity Solstice, May 2012; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Sep 2011; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Nov 2010; 7N E. Car., Carnival Fantasy, May 2010; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Feb 2010; Gulf of Mexico, Carnival Ecstacy, Dec 2008; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Mar 2008; Canada/New England Crown Princess, Sep 2007; Midway/Hawaii Regal Princess, May 2007: W. Caribbean, Grand Princess, Feb, 2007 ;So. Car.,Volendam HAL, Nov, 2006; Caribbean,Zuiderdam, HAL, 2005; W Caribbean Galaxy, CCL, 2005;Transatlantic Jewel RCI,2004; W Caribbean Sovereign RCI, 2003; Hawaii Infinity, CCL, 2002; Transatlantic Rotterdam, HAL, 2000; Caribbean Galaxy CCL, 2000; Mexico Harmony, Crystal, 1999; Caribbean Zenith, CCL, 1999; South America Royal, Princess, 1998/9; W Caribbean Noordam, HAL,199?; Caribbean Horizon, CCL, 199?; Caribbean Enchanted Seas, Commodore, 198?; Alaska Regal, Princess, 198?.

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmwinds View Post
I would hope so! I would not want to be on day 7 or 10 or 14 with the meat/poultry that may have been brought on board fresh on day 1.
How True!

LuLu
~~~~

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie5 View Post
I do not believe what you were told on the tour.

I am fairly certain they have a lower deck filled largely with chicken coups. I once made the mistake of entering a crew-only door when I was heading for a lower deck and saw the chicken feathers blowing in the air.

I have also heard very late at night what I believe is moo-ing coming from somewhere deep in the hold, so they almost certainly have cattle aboard.

I don't know about the fish, but it would be easy enough to lay nets behind the ship, also probably late at night.
I thought this was too funny, and then I read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukesailor View Post
The snails used for escargot are raised free-range on a ranch in the Midwest. A couple of times a year the fully-grown ones are rounded up and herded to market. This takes a looooooooooooooong time. Or course, there's always the dangers of snail rustling or, if spooked by a whiff of garlic, a snail stampede. Not a pretty sight. They can run as far as a hundred feet in a week, leaving slime trails everywhere. Terrible slip hazard.

Art
There are some very creative people on this forum!
Noordam May 9th R/T Vancouver spreadsheet

San Diego to Vancouver, then Inside Passage

Cruise Countdown Tickers

GREAT MEMORIES: Zuiderdam Alaska Inside Passage (7 days) May 2013 ~ Zuiderdam Repo (4 days) May 2013 ~ Zaandam Mexican Riviera (w/ Loreto) (8 days) Apr 2013 ~ Oosterdam Circle Hawaii (14 days) Mar 2012 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Dec 2011 ~ Oosterdam Sea of Cortez (10 days) Apr 2011 (Mother/Daughter Cruise!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2010 (First DVS & Neptune Lounge!) ~ Carnival Spirit Alaska (7 days) June 2010 (aft-wrap!) ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2009 ~ NCL Star CTN (2 days) Nov 2009 ~ Carnival Elation Baja Mexico (5 days) Jan 2009 ~ Oosterdam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Apr 2008 ~ Golden Princess Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2007 ~ Monarch of the Seas Baja Mexico (3 days) Jun 2005 ~ Ryndam Mexican Riviera (7 days) Nov 2003 ~ Viking Serenade Baja Mexico (4 days) Apr 2001 (Dad's 85th B-Day!) ~ Maasdam Panama Canal (full transit) (10 days) Apr 2000 ~ Rotterdam Alaska (7 days) Aug 1997 (I'm hooked!)

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always wondered when the lawn would be turned Into a greenhouse.

Equinox 4/14 Ultimate Eastern Caribbean
Equinox 12/13 Western Caribbean
Silhouette 4/13 Rome to Venice
Solstice 4/12 FLL-Barcelona
Eclipse 4/11 Miami-Southampton
Eurodam 4/09 Fll to Copenhagen
Zuiderdam 5/20/08 Med. Tapestry
Diamond Princess 5/04 Inside Passage
Regal Princess 11/00 Sydney to Auckland