Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old November 12th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Guarantee Status

Can't figure out why anyone would book a cruise under a guarantee status. We have 26 cruises and always chose a specific cabin. There are too many variables with cabin location, deck, public spaces above or below etc. to risk an expensive cruise by having someon else determine where I'm staying for the cruise.

Do people think their chances are better for an upgrade if they are under a guarantee status? Would have to imagine that the percentage of anyone, regardless of booking status, that are upgraded is a minicule percentage.

Old November 12th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default You reserve what fits your budget

Unfortunately not everyone can afford the difference between a guarantee and the next level. We have cruised every December for the last couple of years in AQ. This year our travel budget is not as big. We decided that we would rather be anywhere on the ship than not on the ship at all and did a balcony guarantee. Neither of us are light sleepers or very picky. Right now we are in a 2c on the Silhouette. The obstruction is not being able to look down at the water but we can look out. The difference between the guarantee and an unobstructed view pays for our port excursions. The nice thing is that everyone can choose what works for them and their budget.

Old November 12th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Redman1947,
In addition to Allygator14's response, not everyone has been as fortunate as you or I. We know the score after many cruises. A guarantee, at a lower price point, may be very attractive to a new cruiser who knows zilch about cabin selection. The same could hold true to a cruiser who may be booking late and just wants on a ship, even if their cabin of choice is not available. Lots of things to think about when cruising.

Old November 12th, 2013, 11:54 PM
10,000+ Club

Last year, I booked a 2C on Silhouette, figuring a partially obstructed balcony in the Med. was better than none. A few days later, there was a sale with a balcony gty same price as inside. I jumped on it. For a saving of $1200 I would be happy with any balcony, even a 2D. We ended up in a 2A on the hump. Great value. I book what I can afford, just to be on the ship. Insides, OV, balcony. Doesn't matter, as long as it is a bargain. EM
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights Inside
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich 27 nights OV/Concierge
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012 24 nights Inside
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean 14 nights Concierge/Inside/Inside
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL 10 nights Mini-suite
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona 13 nights Concierge
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas 5 nights OV
Queen Mary 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights 11 nights Balcony
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan 13 nights OV/Balcony
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean 7 nights Inside
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska Inside
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean 14 nights Inside
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic 16 nights Cove balcony
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas 3 nights inside
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada 14 nights 4J inside
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights OV
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Queen Elizabeth 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice 12 nights OV
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN 1 night Inside
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas 10 nights Inside
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda 7 nights OV
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles 4 nights Inside
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights Balcony
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic 14 nights Balcony
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus 14 nights OV
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights

Old November 13th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman1947 View Post
Can't figure out why anyone would book a cruise under a guarantee status.
Saving $1000 is why. We did book a Concierge guarantee, to ensure that we didn't get an obstructed-view balcony. We were very happy with our assigned cabin.

Sovereign of the Seas - 27/01/1998
Norwegian Majesty - 10/02/2003
Diamond Princess - 22/01/2005
Noordam - 03/01/2009
Norwegian Gem - 30/09/2011
Celebrity Equinox - 26/10/2012

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have done suite guarantees twice, and were pleased with our Sky Suites both times.

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm always hearing of people booking on the guarantee basis and then kicking up a big stink once their room has been allocated.

why oh why book on guarantee if the room location is so important to you!!

I guest that's people for you lol

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've been on over 20 cruises with many of them being a guarantee rate. The reasons are simple:

1) The savings can be substantial (if not there is no point in booking a guarantee).

2) While people complain about bad cabins in reality there are only Good cabins and Better cabins. When considering a guarantee we research the worst cabins on board and while we rarely get them we decide beforehand that we would be OK if assigned one. We have never complained about a cabin assignment as we understand that is part of the deal.

3) The savings have allowed us to cruise more often than we otherwise would have as well as cruise to locations that many put off until retirement.

Ultimately to each their own. If a guarantee cabin is something people don't want to consider it is not a big deal.

Star Princess July 2011
Westerdam March 2011
Caribbean Princess August 2010
Millennium March 2010
Crown Princess July 2009
Emerald Princess August 2008
Grand Princess July 2007
Radiance March 2007
Constellation July 2006
Brilliance March 2006
Summit March 2005
Vision March 2004
Vision July 2003
Splendour March 2003
Galaxy March 2002
Millennium August 2001
NCL Sky March 2001
Rhapsody May 1997

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:57 AM
5,000+ Club

We just booked a veranda guarantee. It is cruise 67 for us so we've been in just about every "terrific" cabin/suite on a ship. If we can't get one of the sought after cabins, we are not picky. We like a specific category (it varies and can be a veranda, AQ or suite) but that is all that is really important to us.

The cruise we just booked is in 6 weeks and most all the cabins left are really not in the desirable locations, so what we will be assigned is likely not much better than what we would get if we booked a specific cabin at this late date.

We"ll book a guarantee if there is a significant savings. We NEVER expect a cabin category higher than our guarantee.

In our case, for our cruise in just 6 weeks, we will save $1050-$1650 by booking the guarantee

M
Sailed fewer on Carnival

favorite cruise? - the most recent!

Last edited by cruisegirl1; November 13th, 2013 at 05:59 AM.

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman1947 View Post
Can't figure out why anyone would book a cruise under a guarantee status. We have 26 cruises and always chose a specific cabin. There are too many variables with cabin location, deck, public spaces above or below etc. to risk an expensive cruise by having someon else determine where I'm staying for the cruise.

Do people think their chances are better for an upgrade if they are under a guarantee status? Would have to imagine that the percentage of anyone, regardless of booking status, that are upgraded is a minicule percentage.
some people genuinely DO NOT care about where the cabin is.

Our very first cruise, our TA suggested we take a GTY cabin because it was slightly cheaper and her agency was offering a category upgrade( we paid for the lowest category balcony and was guaranteed a cabin in the highest category)

and yes I am sure some people take a gamble that paying for a GTY OV will land them a balcony.

Old November 13th, 2013, 09:47 AM
5,000+ Club

It's all about price for us; we will book a guarantee if it is significantly cheaper than picking a specific room. We are not doing it for an upgrade, though we usually do get a room in a slightly higher category.

So far, we've been satisfied with our assigned guarantee room and have sometimes saved $1000 or more for the two of us. Since we don't really care where we are on the ship, except that we want a balcony, we always look at guarantees.

People who are booking guarantees and expecting a big upgrade are just naive; yes, it happens, but it is rare.

Old November 13th, 2013, 10:30 AM
5,000+ Club

Face it--once you are on the ship, you are entitled to every amenity there is: food, entertainment, bars, pools, etc. If you're like us, the cabin is just a place to sleep and keep your stuff. We are not "cabin dwellers"--we like to be out and about on the ship. So if I have a balcony so I can get some fresh air, I am happy.

The other thing the OP, who is from the US, is not taking into consideration is that once assigned, you can generally move to any other open cabin in your category. I have done this successfully.

Old November 13th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

For me, I also like a little surprise... so far it never disappoint.

On the upcoming Transpacific in May 2014, I did make a specific cabin reservation, as it is a Sweet Sixteen cabin on the Millie. I can't pass up on that and I paid the same price as the veranda guarantee.

Celebrity Millennium - Transpacific Tokyo to Vancouver May 10, 2014
Celebrity Silhouette - Eastern Caribbean Mar 3, 2013
Carnival Fantasy - Exotic Eastern Caribbean Aug 4 2012

Celebrity Summit - Bermuda Aug 28, 2011 => Aug 29
HAL Massdam - Canada and New England June 30, 2007

Celebrity Infinity - Alaska Aug 2005
Caribbean Princess - Western Caribbean Aug 2004
Celebrity Century - Eastern Caribbean Aug 2000
Discovery - Bahamas Mar 1997
Crown Princess - Eastern Caribbean Nov 1994
Dawn Princess - Mexico Sept 1990

Old November 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyCruises View Post

The other thing the OP, who is from the US, is not taking into consideration is that once assigned, you can generally move to any other open cabin in your category. I have done this successfully.
They have always been happy to let us move if we want and we still save $1,000.

Old November 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

There are no "guarantees" even if you pick your cabin. You can still have noisy neighbors or people who make noise in the hall or their balconies.

I book what fits the budget.

Pac Coastal Celebrity Century, May 2014. Western Carib Crown Princess, Mar 2013; Mediterranean, Celebrity Solstice, May 2012; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Sep 2011; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Nov 2010; 7N E. Car., Carnival Fantasy, May 2010; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Feb 2010; Gulf of Mexico, Carnival Ecstacy, Dec 2008; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Mar 2008; Canada/New England Crown Princess, Sep 2007; Midway/Hawaii Regal Princess, May 2007: W. Caribbean, Grand Princess, Feb, 2007 ;So. Car.,Volendam HAL, Nov, 2006; Caribbean,Zuiderdam, HAL, 2005; W Caribbean Galaxy, CCL, 2005;Transatlantic Jewel RCI,2004; W Caribbean Sovereign RCI, 2003; Hawaii Infinity, CCL, 2002; Transatlantic Rotterdam, HAL, 2000; Caribbean Galaxy CCL, 2000; Mexico Harmony, Crystal, 1999; Caribbean Zenith, CCL, 1999; South America Royal, Princess, 1998/9; W Caribbean Noordam, HAL,199?; Caribbean Horizon, CCL, 199?; Caribbean Enchanted Seas, Commodore, 198?; Alaska Regal, Princess, 198?.

Old November 13th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I used to think like you. Always carefully selected the best cabin in the best location with the biggest balcony in our price range. For our upcoming cruise, got a 1A balcony on the hump. Cost of cruise: $2900.

Then I logged in to check for price drops and saw this: Balcony guarantee for $799. Wow, almost half price. I jumped on it. Friends of ours cruising with us chose to keep their 1A on the hump.

My thought process was: cabin exactly the same, and even the worst 2D cabin still has a balcony! And savings of over $1,000 will pay for our airfare, shore excursions, and even some drinks.

After 3 week we were assigned a 2D cabin, we'll be on deck six with some lifeboats blocking our view down to the water. Right now it doesn't feel like a big deal, and I doubt I'll let that ruin the cruise once i'm there!
Celebrity Mercury ~ March 1999

Last edited by micmacmissy; November 13th, 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Old November 13th, 2013, 01:13 PM
5,000+ Club

micmacmissy, it is a 2C balcony cabin on S class ships with a lifeboat in front and that's what you previously mentioned as what you were assigned for your gty. A 2D has the higher tender, up to the railing level, so the view outwards is obstructed when sitting.
We booked an Concierge XC gty for our upcoming cruise and that saved us $800 over picking the C1 we were assigned. If we didn't have senior pricing selecting a C1 would have cost us $1200 more.
Originally we had been assigned a more forward, near front elevators/stairs, connecting cabin which was the best option when assigned but a few weeks back a slightly aft of the mid-ship elevators/stairs non-connecting C1 became available. An email to our TA got us that better cabin. Previously we've also have been able to change our gty assigned cabin for another available in the same category of cabin with out difficulties.

Last edited by robtulipe; November 13th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

Old November 13th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Almost half of my cruises have been solo - and for them I always book an inside guarantee cabin. Twice I wound up with OV; and never have I had a "bad" cabin.

When I cruise with my husband, he insists on a balcony, so I always get a balcony guarantee. Again, never been disappointed in what was assigned.

The rest of the times I have cruised with a friend or acquaintance, and then normally let her decide on the type of cabin. About half of the reservations have been guarantees, the rest for specific cabins. The only ones that presented any problems at all were among the selected cabins, and both times it was for a strange, very loud, very random occurring but repeated noise during the night. On one of the cruises it sounded like someone beating on the hull with a large wrench, and lasted for three nights. The hotel manager apologized, sent wine and chocolate-covered strawberries, and gave us a free specialty restaurant meal. On the other it sounded like a heavy door being slammed shut and lasted just one night.

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

sorry - deleting as I'm not really a Celebrity cruiser (except for one cruise.)

Last edited by roothy123; November 13th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.

Old November 13th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did not plan on cruising next year until the Thanksgiving special came out. We booked a 5 nt. cruise with a 2b class room at what we thought was a good price which fit in our time limits. After further investigating we found a 7 nt. cruise for less in a veranda gtee. class. Checked our res. today and we are in a 1a bump out cabin. We are particular on rooms when we travel with a group but when we travel alone we just roll the dice and hope for the best. The end result is we are cruising!!!!!