Legend of the Seas transatlantic Oct 30-Nov 12

Transatlantic Cruise

We just got off the Legend of the Seas yesterday from our transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale. [Oct 30 to Nov 12] I learned a lot from reading Cruise Critic before we left. However, there are just not many reviews of transatlantic cruises out there. So, I decided to do a long review with as many pictures as I could.

legendoftheseas_zpsa5e17fa6.jpg

I am doing separate mini reviews of the ports of call on that message board. [Alicante, Malaga, Funchal, and Tenerife].Please follow these links if you are interested in these ports.

Barcelona-- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40658157#post40658157

Alicante- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=596

Malaga- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40658286#post40658286

Funchal- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40658340#post40658340

Tenerife- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40658378#post40658378

We arrived in Barcelona aboard a United Airlines flight from Baltimore, MD via Newark, NJ around 7 am on Monday. It was sunny and warm. The weather report called for 79°. We did not get any sleep on the plane, but, we were pretty excited to be in Europe for the first time and we were ready to start sight-seeing.

[For a longer review of Barcelona go to the link above]—for the transatlantic review keep reading.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

The customs/immigration check-in process was very easy. We were headed to the city by 8:10 am. We took a taxi from the airport to our Bed & Breakfast [Marina View] about a block from the Columbus statue at the foot of Las Ramblas. The taxi fare was 28 € + tip.

We had purchased 2 day-tickets online [10% discount] for the Barcelona City Tours Hop On/Hop Off Bus. It is a RED double-decker bus. The other HOHO bus is called the Bus Touristic. We picked the RED bus because some CC members said the BLUE bus had longer lines and some buses arrived full. We noticed this to be true at the Placa Catalunya and the Guadi sites.

redbus_zpsb0cb472f.jpg

We had decided we would ride the 2 routes [east and west] to get our bearings the first day and make stops the second. We were afraid we would be too tired for anything else. If I had this to do over I would have gotten off the bus to see Montjuic—just to be more efficient.

Excited for this! I am looking at a TA next year but the more northern route. I've never done one before so thanks in advance for the review!

I can not comment on the northern route--but, I will be able to tell you about a TA from the perspective of a first time TA cruiser. :) It is taking me a little while to go through my pictures--but, I will get going soon.:p

During our 2.5 days we visited the Segrada Famila, Park Guell, Montjuic, the gothic cathedral, the church of Santa Maria, Las Ramlas, two markets and walked through the Gothic Quarter. There were other things we hoped to see, but ran out of time. I will post a couple of pictures below. But, if you want more detail [and pics] you will need to visit the link above.

Here are a few pic of Barcelona--just to wet your appetite.:D

This is the marina/port area at night. [the view from the window of our B & B]

IMG_5979_zps69c9ebd7.jpg

This is a view of the Nativity facade of the Segrada Familia

IMG_5983_zps7be34d10.jpg

The famous Park Guell [you can see it rained while we were there]

IMG_5993_zps8fc400bc.jpg

another Park Guell

IMG_5998_zpsd192aed9.jpg

A view of the city from Montjuic:

IMG_6003_zps2df56350.jpg

On embarkation day we took at taxi from our B & B to the port. [10€ included the tip] We could have walked to the port shuttle which was only a couple of blocks. The shuttle is 2.5 € per person. However, we had 3 pieces of luggage and a tote bag. The taxi dropped us right at terminal B beside the ship.

Port map:

Barcelona-Port-Map_zps650e2946.gif

There is a small terminal building for each ship in port. We left from Terminal B. The terminal had a couple of shops, including one that sold wine and water. They had limited quantities of soda and were sold out of diet coke on the day we left.

PA300032_zps22b07fd4.jpg

This is the ship that was docked at at terminal C. I think it was docked for the day as a port of call, rather than embarking.

PA300048_zps2e3783ac.jpg

It was a beautiful sunset sail away.

PA300052_zps0b4824aa.jpg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Very nice review with great pictures - also like the port by port reviews

Thanks--I am a little slow to get each of them started. But, in order to give a link for each port I had to start this thread and each of them at the same to in order to be able edit the links into each other. :eek:

You will see lots of progress today.:)

The Legend of the Seas is the smallest ship currently in the fleet. We worried that there would not be enough things to do during all of the sea days. Not to worry—it was a great cruise. We encountered a few people who missed the bells and whistles of the bigger ships. I think it is important to research and understand what you are getting before you book a cruise.

I will post as many ship pictures as I can. I know it has been a long time since the Legend has cruised in the US market and many cruisers are looking for information.

Here is the pool deck

PA300029_zps4d03920b.jpg

This is the big screen on the pool deck. Some people have asked if it is too intrusive. We found that 90% of the time it should tropical scenes with no sound.

PA300033_zps1e8b7565.jpg

This is a picture of what is left of the Viking Crown Lounge. During the recent refit of the Legend of the Seas, Izumi [Asian cuisine] and Chopp’s Grille [steakhouse] were carved out of the Viking Crown Lounge. I am standing as far back as you can go. These seats and those around the dance floor/bar are all that is available. It was hard to find a seat here on a sea day—but, I love the view.

Pics of Viking Crown lounge. You can see the divider for Izumi in the bakground.

PA300024_zps8d8a19a5.jpg

Izumi

PA300022_zpsf9b1e215.jpg

. . .and Chops Grille

PA300023_zps703362dd.jpg

We did not eat at either of these restaurants—both they got good reviews by other we talked with.

Love the photos! I can't wait to read the rest of your review! Thanks for sharing.

Can you please confirm that Keith Williams is still the cruise director, so I can keep the list updated?

He was as of this past Tuesday.

What were the timings for the shows on this sailing? 7&9? I'm trying to make MTD reservations for my transatlantic cruise on the serenade and hoping that's the typical pattern for the shows.

Yes, most of the shows were at 7 and 9pm. On the first day there was a single show at 7:45pm.

Yes, and there were 3 formal nights.

Bob, thank you so much! You've been very helpful.

One last question ..... On the three "informal" nights did jacket/tie seem to be the norm? I'm bringing tux for the formal nights and considering bringing a suit for the informal nights. My only previous cruises of this length have all been on Celebrity with does not do informal nights anymore, just formal and smart casual. On my 10/11 night cruises with RCCL I found the informal nights had very few men wearing jacket/tie.

Scott

Bob, thank you so much! You've been very helpful.

One last question ..... On the three "informal" nights did jacket/tie seem to be the norm? I'm bringing tux for the formal nights and considering bringing a suit for the informal nights. My only previous cruises of this length have all been on Celebrity with does not do informal nights anymore, just formal and smart casual. On my 10/11 night cruises with RCCL I found the informal nights had very few men wearing jacket/tie.

Scott

The informal nights were pretty casual, very few ties, very few jackets. Lots of polo shirts.