Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old November 15th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default How to stop unwanted Viking mail?

Anyone have any idea how to stop Viking inundating us with advertising material at both our current and previous addresses simultaneously? We just want it to stop. We`re not going with them again so absolutely no point in their keeping sending us letters, catalogues and cards. The new owners of our old house are complaining about it!
I suppose that, along with the constant barrage of TV advertising, current and booked passengers are paying for it all. Make it stop please!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 15th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippy Sweetie View Post
Anyone have any idea how to stop Viking inundating us with advertising material at both our current and previous addresses simultaneously? We just want it to stop. We`re not going with them again so absolutely no point in their keeping sending us letters, catalogues and cards. The new owners of our old house are complaining about it!
I suppose that, along with the constant barrage of TV advertising, current and booked passengers are paying for it all. Make it stop please!!
put a line through your name, write boldly return to sender and stick in any mailbox. after about 5 returns they get the idea...

Old November 15th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Why don't you just call them and tell them to "please remove me from your mailing list". It might work.

Royal Caribbean Voyageur of the Seas, April 2004 - Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas, April 2003 - NCL Norwegian Sun, March 2002 - Celebrity Cruises Century, August 1999 - Admiral Cruise Lines Emerald Seas, July 1988

Old November 15th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Cruiser View Post
Why don't you just call them and tell them to "please remove me from your mailing list". It might work.
Ditto !!

Old November 15th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've found that sending it back marked deceased works well.

Sent from my SGP312 using Forums mobile app

Disney Cast Member 1985 (Canadian Pavillion at Epcot) and 20+ Disney World visits
MV Britnannis 1982 no stabilizers!, MV Bolero -- Transatlantic -- 1991 and A bunch of others with my dad , Carnival 3-night Bahamas 2004, Disney Magic W Carib 2005, 2007, 2009, Med 2010, Sun Princess S Carib 2006, Adventure of the Seas S Carib 2008, Coral Princess Alaska 2008, Wonder 3-day bounceback 2009, Diamond Princess 16 night SE Asia Mar 2010, Disney Dream MV - Jan 2011, Allure of the Seas - Mar 2011, Disney Dream June 2011, Disney Fantasy MV - Mar 2012, Disney Magic to Canada - Aug 2012, Disney Wonder to California - Oct 2012, Fantasy to San Juan - Mar 2013; Royal Princess - maiden voyage - June 2013, Caribbean March 2014; Viking Rinda Budapest to Bucharest - June 2014

Old November 16th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy559 View Post
This might not work with HAL, from what I've heard about their passenger profile!

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone.

Next trip:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour)

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 9-10-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Old November 16th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

I reckon trying to phone would just be a huge waste of time & phone bill. Think I`ll just redirect all the letters back marked "unwanted mail". If that fails I`ll try the "deceased" idea! Mind you that doesnt always work- we`re constantly getting telephone sales calls for my parents who died years ago. Some telephone lists never die it seems. This is despite the phone number being on the telephone preference service register. Sorry thats getting off the point!

Old November 16th, 2013, 05:13 AM
50,000+ Club

I would call them.

Keith

Old November 16th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchestrapal View Post
put a line through your name, write boldly return to sender and stick in any mailbox. after about 5 returns they get the idea...
Depending on how it's been mailed, the post office may just dump it in the garbage rather than returning it to them.

I found this email address in an Internet post about stopping unwanted email (and also in another thread here). You might try emailing them and including the information from the mailing label if you have it. Hopefully they will be responsive.

TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com

Last edited by MisterBill99; November 16th, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Old November 17th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks. Maybe a straightforward email might do it. I reckon phoning would just lead to being passed from one dept to another and all at my expense! Most likely the advertising dept is not actually contactable via the phone lines made available to the general public or is just outsourced anyway.

Old November 17th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy559 View Post

Sent from my SGP312 using Forums mobile app
LOL, this doesn't really work. I tried it once with another company and my mail carrier stopped delivering ALL mail because he thought I was deceased!

I would just call them to be removed, if it were me.
Felicia

Old November 17th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I reckon trying to phone would just be a huge waste of time & phone bill. Think I`ll just redirect all the letters back marked "unwanted mail". If that fails I`ll try the "deceased" idea! Mind you that doesnt always work- we`re constantly getting telephone sales calls for my parents who died years ago. Some telephone lists never die it seems. This is despite the phone number being on the telephone preference service register. Sorry thats getting off the point!
Why not email them?
Then you also have it in writing.

Old November 17th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Calling vs. Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osnab View Post
I would just call them to be removed, if it were me.
Felicia
The problem with doing that is that the odds are you're not going to get the correct person on the phone when you call and it's unlikely that they will be able to transfer you to the person who can actually make the change. If you email, then it can be forwarded to that person and they will have all of the information needed to take care of it.

Quote:
Thanks. Maybe a straightforward email might do it. I reckon phoning would just lead to being passed from one dept to another and all at my expense! Most likely the advertising dept is not actually contactable via the phone lines made available to the general public or is just outsourced anyway.
Correct. However, most of us have free long distance these days, what with cell phones and cable company provided phone service. I guess not you, since you say it's a concern. Still, email *should* be less frustrating.

Last edited by MisterBill99; November 17th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

Old November 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Just throw it in the garbage with the rest of the junk mail unopened. Takes 1 second.

Researching Venice to Greek Islands cruises now

Old November 17th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBill99 View Post
The problem with doing that is that the odds are you're not going to get the correct person on the phone when you call and it's unlikely that they will be able to transfer you to the person who can actually make the change. If you email, then it can be forwarded to that person and they will have all of the information needed to take care of it.
That's really not correct. I've called companies in the past to be removed and you give the information to the person answering the phone.

But the OP indicated the cost to call, so again my advice would be to email.

This time of year, I'm getting inundated with catalogs from a lot of companies. I just stand over the trash can when I get home.

Now, I never do this with Viking's brochures!

Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:39 AM
10,000+ Club

Send it back (return to sender ..} it's free ..
Holland: 11 voyages 152 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages; 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages; 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages; 35 days
Vantage: River 2 voyage 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 66 Cruises 604 days

NOT YET SAILED
Holland Eurodam 8/14 -18 days
Princess Coral 10/14-11 days
Holland Prinsendam 11/14 -28 days
Holland Ryndam 1/15 -14 days
Holland Maasdam 3/15 -14 days
Holland Rotterdam 4/15 - 18 days
Holland Veendam 6/15 - 14 days
Vantage River Cruise 8/15 - 21 days
Holland Prinsendam 10/15 - 28 days

Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:42 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
I agree ..
Holland: 11 voyages 152 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages; 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages; 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages; 35 days
Vantage: River 2 voyage 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 66 Cruises 604 days

NOT YET SAILED
Holland Eurodam 8/14 -18 days
Princess Coral 10/14-11 days
Holland Prinsendam 11/14 -28 days
Holland Ryndam 1/15 -14 days
Holland Maasdam 3/15 -14 days
Holland Rotterdam 4/15 - 18 days
Holland Veendam 6/15 - 14 days
Vantage River Cruise 8/15 - 21 days
Holland Prinsendam 10/15 - 28 days

Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:00 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Standard mail marked 'return to sender' does not get returned to the sender; it is thrown out at the post office. So, the only one getting any sort of message is your postman.

IMHO, the best way to handle unwanted circulars and advertising is just to throw them out--or even better, recycle it. All you are doing with this thread is building up your anger and annoyance over something that just isn't worth the effort. We all get tons standard mail we would rather not receive.

If this extremely minor annoyance is causing you such distress, stop complaining here about all the reasons you can't pick up the phone to call and start doing something about it.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrina651 View Post
Standard mail marked 'return to sender' does not get returned to the sender; it is thrown out at the post office. So, the only one getting any sort of message is your postman.
IMHO, the best way to handle unwanted circulars and advertising is just to throw them out--or even better, recycle it. All you are doing with this thread is building up your anger and annoyance over something that just isn't worth the effort. We all get tons standard mail we would rather not receive.
If this extremely minor annoyance is causing you such distress, stop complaining here about all the reasons you can't pick up the phone to call and start doing something about it.
No distress at all. After returning 3 or 4 items all mail STOPPED?
This has also worked with other annoying companies.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was also getting tired of their mailings, so I sent an e-mail to TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com
and said I would never sail on Viking and their mailings were annoying me. I got a very nice polite e-mail from them apologizing and saying the mailings would stop in a couple of weeks.