Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Freedom of the Seas diverted

Just in case anybody is tracking the FoS we are going to San Juan in place of St Thomas due to delays incurred handeling three mesical emergincies. The first one the coast guard airlifted one person off Coco Cay. We were then diverted to Nasua to evacuate two more people.

In addition they evacuated Coco Cay due to rough seas that was affecting tender operations.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:09 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
Just in case anybody is tracking the FoS we are going to San Juan in place of St Thomas due to delays incurred handeling three mesical emergincies. The first one the coast guard airlifted one person off Coco Cay. We were then diverted to Nasua to evacuate two more people.

In addition they evacuated Coco Cay due to rough seas that was affecting tender operations.
Sorry you will miss St. Thomas. In hindsight, it seems like it would have been a good idea to skip Coco Cay and go straight to San Juan with an afternoon call and then onto St. Thomas and San Juan. I have heard of RCI doing that when Coco Cay was too rough to tender to.

Thanks for the post. I have some friends on your cruise.

[/url]
[/URL

Diamond Plus

Old December 6th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default update 4th medical evacuation

Just as we were leaving St Martin- when the ship had just cleared the end of the pier - the caption stopped the ship and returned to the pier to let an ambulance take another passenger to the hospital. This was the 4tg person to be evacuated on this cruise.

In addition durring the ice show one of the performers had what apperared to be a very significant cut to his arm when he grabbed another skaters ankle. There was quite a bit of blood on the ice where the blood shot out while he was spinning her. The cancled the next show due to the injury. It was obvious that it was seeuous when the CD Richard Spacy came out his only comment was there was an injury and the show was over.

In 90+ cruises this has been one of the most unique ones. We'll see what happens next.

Old December 6th, 2013, 09:15 AM
5,000+ Club

Oh wow ... I hope the rest of your trip is uneventful!

Talk to me: CapsFan2@hotmail.com

Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been - Jimmy Buffett, My Idol

11/07 Majesty of the Seas, 4/08 Grandeur of the Seas, 1/09 Majesty of the Seas, 9/09 Freedom of the Seas, 11/09 Majesty of the Seas, 4/10 Explorer of the Seas, 10/10 Serenade of the Seas. 11/10 Majesty of the Seas, 2/11 Majesty of the Seas, 11/11 Navigator of the Seas, 3/12 Liberty of the Seas, 11/12 Carnival Pride (never again) , 11/12 Adventure of the Seas (Back to Back), 3/13 Freedom of the Seas, 9/13 Brilliance of the Seas, 12/13 Independence of the Seas, 5/14 Explorer of the Seas

Old December 6th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry for all the spelling errors it's hard to do posts from a Blackberry with the small fonts and my old eyes.

Old December 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

On a more humorous note we were talking with the captain and a passenger walks up and started complaining to him that they were out of english tea bags and wanted the captain to help him get some. The captain took it all in stride and introduced him to the hotel manager to help him out. One interesting cruise.

Old December 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow.Do you think that it is becouse more seniors citizens are cruising in the winter ?I live on the beach in Fl.and we gets LOTS of senior citizens here in the winter from Canada and the northern states that stay all winter and lots of them cruise while here.I know the hospitals stay pretty busy with them also.Just a thought !! I hope we have better luck on our cruise and that you still has a great time.
11/21/09-Carnival Inspiration
01/24/11-Carnival Elation
01/21/12-Carnival Dream
12/15/13 Freedom of the Seas

Old December 6th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2tampa View Post
Wow.Do you think that it is becouse more seniors citizens are cruising in the winter ?I live on the beach in Fl.and we gets LOTS of senior citizens here in the winter from Canada and the northern states that stay all winter and lots of them cruise while here.I know the hospitals stay pretty busy with them also.Just a thought !! I hope we have better luck on our cruise and that you still has a great time.
We noticed this on a December cruise...it was Alpha Alpha Alpha several times a day, almost every day, and one guest did have a fatal event in the theatre one night. During our July cruise the families far out numbered the retired folk, and I don't remember hearing it even once.

Old December 6th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

You're assuming medical emergencies always mean elderly. It could just as well have been a young person with a complicated fracture, or a diabetic.

The triple A on our cruise was a 10 yo.

Old December 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
You're assuming medical emergencies always mean elderly. It could just as well have been a young person with a complicated fracture, or a diabetic.

The triple A on our cruise was a 10 yo.
I don't think anyone said "always". Odds are out of 4 evacuations, at least half were elderly. Not likely they would evacuate a diabetic as that's something they can treat onboard. We've been on ships with evacuations and probably 75% of them have been elderly. They tend to fall easier and have more medical issues overall. Sometimes the crew gets injured, but they see a lot more heart attacks and strokes this time of year when more retirees are cruising.

Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008