Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old December 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Older generation.....quite rude

We have recently returned from our first ever cruise
We went on sun princess out of Sydney for 10nts and returning to Sydney

We are really sorry to say that we wouldn't cruise again and one of the main reasons why is I hate to say.......the older generation

We are both in our 40s so not exactly kids but some of the older people on our cruise were to put it mildly very rude

On many occasions they would push by not only us but other passengers to attempt to get wherever they were going that little bit sooner

One of the elderly passengers even had a go at me for not pushing and shoving through to which I said that at 6ft 5" tall and 18st it wasn't ideal for me to barge my way through

So all in all although we did enjoy lots of aspects of cruising and did meet some lovely people (both young and old) I'm sorry to say that maybe some of the older generation should learn a few manners and chill out a bit because after all you are on holiday

Wonder if anybody else has had similar problems???

Ps: I'm ready for the expected slating i might receive for this post

Mark

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Those individuals were probably just as rude when they were younger.

Old December 18th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbunny View Post
Those individuals were probably just as rude when they were younger.
Lol possibly so

At least we only had the displeasure of them for 10 days

Old December 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey! I agree that manners, good or bad, cross generations. As soon as I make a statement like "kids today, they're so rude" one comes along and opens a door for me and says please and thank you. I think it all goes back to parenting and just training in general, regardless of age. Also, there are some cultural differences where in one society something that might be perfectly acceptable would be considered rude in another. Maybe it seemed like it was mostly older, disagreeable people is because there were mostly older people on the ship to begin with?

Old December 18th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I understand what you are saying Patto, as we have met some very rude people both young and old. Not only while cruising, but even at the grocery store! I usually ignore the rude ones especially on vacation, because I won't allow anyone to spoil my hard earned time away..

Old December 18th, 2013, 04:59 PM
5,000+ Club

Please don't let a few individuals ruin your cruising experience. Cruising is a wonderful way to meet new people and go on wonderful vacations.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home." - James Michener

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethel5 View Post
Please don't let a few individuals ruin your cruising experience. Cruising is a wonderful way to meet new people and go on wonderful vacations.

It is a shame that our overriding memory of our first cruise is this

Maybe one day we will give cruising another try and hopefully we will have better memories afterwards

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:05 PM
5,000+ Club

Most of it is due to bad parenting. I was taught to take my turn and consider others . For instance, I let people in wheelchairs into the elevators first because elevators are their only option to change floors.
My children have been brought up to be polite, and if I catch them pushing and shoving they're in trouble - and they're in their mid-50s now.

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Why let a few rude people stop you from having fun? Give crusing one more chance before disregarding completely.

11/06-Crown Princess-Eastern Caribbean
02/08-Caribbean Princess-Southern Caribbean
02/09-Crown Princess-Western Caribbean
07/11-HAL Maasadm-Canada/New England
07/12-Star Princess-Alaska
10/12-Ruby Princess-Eastern Caribbean
04/13-Island Princess-Panama Canal
10/13-Royal Princess-Eastern Caribbean
04/14-Grand Princess-California Coastal
11/14-Ruby Princess-Western Caribbean
04/15-HAL Maasdam-Eastern Caribbean

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:06 PM
30,000+ Club

Age doesn't matter. There are rude young, old, and middle-aged people all over, whether it's in your local supermarket or onboard a ship. I don't move as fast as I used to yet I'm frequently pushed aside or practically run over by people younger than I am who want to get on the line to order at Subway or onto an elevator on Princess (or other lines.) Rudeness is rudeness, and isn't limited to one age group, nationality or region. It doesn't stop me from going to Subway or cruising on a ship.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Last edited by Pam in CA; December 18th, 2013 at 05:07 PM.

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyquilts View Post
Most of it is due to bad parenting. I was taught to take my turn and consider others . For instance, I let people in wheelchairs into the elevators first because elevators are their only option to change floors.
My children have been brought up to be polite, and if I catch them pushing and shoving they're in trouble - and they're in their mid-50s now.

Oh nancy why oh why couldn't you have been on our cruise???

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lol

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I actually find very cranky and rude elderly people hilarious. I fully expect myself to be that way when I'm old. I feel like I've earned it. Holding my tongue and such now, by the time I'm 80 I won't have much time left, and feel perhaps I can do whatever I want.

I always help people in wheelchairs or walkers, holding doors open etc and always fully expecting not to be thanked. I usually don't get a thank you. Many times they get mad, like "I don't need any help!"

Caribbean Princess--W. Caribbean, Nov 2013 Full review here or Cozumel/Tulum, Roatan/Maya Key, Belize/Goff's Caye here. Plus post-cruise trip New Orleans
Allure--E. Caribbean, Mar 2013 Read my review! Nassau, St. Thomas, St, Maarten. Pictures are missing
Monarch--Bahamas, Feb 2012 Nassau, Coco Cay
Celebrity Century--W. Caribbean, Nov 2002 Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Cozumel, Key West
Carnival--Mexican Riviera, Mar 1993 Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Many older folks don't see, hear, or walk very well and don't even know they are being rude. Be forgiving to them. It could be any of us one day.

LuLu
~~~~

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't let the rude few ruin your experience. On every cruise it seems there is something. The spring break college students, or the people who can't hold their liquor, or the insane shoppers, etc. But we have always met wonderful people, visited interesting places, and had a great time.

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patto1000 View Post
It is a shame that our overriding memory of our first cruise is this

Maybe one day we will give cruising another try and hopefully we will have better memories afterwards
You're kidding. Bad memories? What about the ten dinners, the ports, the shows, the ocean breeze and lots of the reasons to enjoy a cruise. If you let a few people that you perceive as rude ruin your vacation then I can't imagine where you would go to have a nicer vacation where there are no people.

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

My dad (an elderly man himself) says that the older generation is the most rude and selfish he's ever seen. I don't know what it is but the attitude that just because you are old gives you the right to be that way is just plain stupid. I'm always polite, esp. to older people but you can bet I'd be the first one to call them out on it if they weren't.

Sue

Old December 18th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think it has to do with attitude. MY attitude. I can't remember the last time I encountered a really rude person. And I'm no pushover either.

65 cruises (616 days) and counting:
Carnival: 8 (57 days)
Celebrity: 2 (14 days)
NCL: 14 (103 days)
Princess: 34 (397 days)
RCCL: 5 (35 days)
Viking: 1 (10 days)

Most Recent:

NCL Jewel b2b - March/April 2014
NCL Jewel b2b - Feb. 2014

NCL Jewel b2b - Jan. 2014
Caribbean Princess -December, 2013

Future:

NCL Sun - November 2014

Last edited by gooch47; December 18th, 2013 at 05:47 PM.

Old December 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

My DH and I just got off Celebrity Silhouette and there were many rude people, young and old. We are in our mid 70's and frankly, we hate "old people" but there are rude people of every age. My biggest problem is with elevators.................no one steps to the back and even though they are floors away from their destination, they won't move to the rear of the elevator and create a problem from people getting on and trying to move to the back.

Old December 18th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSue View Post
My dad (an elderly man himself) says that the older generation is the most rude and selfish he's ever seen. I don't know what it is but the attitude that just because you are old gives you the right to be that way is just plain stupid. I'm always polite, esp. to older people but you can bet I'd be the first one to call them out on it if they weren't.

Sue
Honest question: How do you tell someone they are being rude without coming off as rude yourself?

Caribbean Princess--W. Caribbean, Nov 2013 Full review here or Cozumel/Tulum, Roatan/Maya Key, Belize/Goff's Caye here. Plus post-cruise trip New Orleans
Allure--E. Caribbean, Mar 2013 Read my review! Nassau, St. Thomas, St, Maarten. Pictures are missing
Monarch--Bahamas, Feb 2012 Nassau, Coco Cay
Celebrity Century--W. Caribbean, Nov 2002 Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Cozumel, Key West
Carnival--Mexican Riviera, Mar 1993 Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta