Russian River Cruise August 2015

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:13 PM.
#1
Phoenix, Az
1,775 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Yes - August 2015

I have managed to get information and prices for the 2015 cruise via Uniworld for either August 7th or August 8th, 2015. The sail date is a bit uncertain until the actual itinerary is published sometime during the first couple of months of 2014. I have heard rumor that the overall pricing is rising possibly 5% in 2015 compared to 2014.

The cruise is a 13 day river cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow Russia along the Volga River. While not truly sailing on the waters for the 13 day time period, the ship is being used for 3 days before and 3 days after sailing as a floating hotel. The last day is disembarkation in the early morning. I found that the cruise includes all lodging, food, wine/beer at dinner, as well as all (there are a few optional) excursions also listed. From what I have found, gratuities will not be included however.

I found the web site for information about this cruise listed as 2014 and hope that it will not vary much for 2015.

http://uniworld.com/boutique-river-cruises/russia/

I also noted that the Russian river cruise is NOT all inclusive like the other Europe river cruises are advertised starting in 2014.

My wife and I, and a few others from Cruise Critic or who we met on the Rhine River Cruise this year have mentioned being interested in a river cruise in Russia. Half the fun is the Planning.

Anyone else thinking about going on the Russian River Cruise in 2015?

Now if I could just find some decent priced Airfare !!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FOR THOSE ON The Celebrity Millennium - 6/29/2018 - Alaska
Meet and Greet Info & Signup
If a minimum of 25 people are registered, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Celebrity. A bar will be available to purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email.
=================
Click Here to Email Me
=================






Sailed:
  • Aug 1993 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Vancouver - 'Original' Star Princess
  • July 2009 - Baltics (Dover, England to St.Petersburg, Russia) NCL Jewel
  • July 15, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Seattle - NCL Pearl
  • September 1st 2013 - Castles Along the Rhine - Uniworld's 'SS Antoinette'
  • June 4, 2014 - Rome/Mediterranean - NCL Epic (roundtrip)
  • February 10, 2015 - (Coastal) LA - Ensenada, Mex - Crown Princess (Linda)
  • March 27, 2016 - Panama Canal - Miami to San Diego - Celebrity Infinity
  • September 30, 2016 - New England (Fall Colors) - Quebec City to Boston - NCL Dawn
  • March 9, 2017 - California Coastal - with Catalina Island - Star Princess
Booked:
  • February 16, 2018 - Panama Canal - Miami to Los Angeles - NCL Star
  • June 23, 2018 - Alaska Land/Cruise - Fairbanks to Vancouver - Celebrity Millennium


    Our Bucket List:
    • Pacific NW - Columbia River Cruise via American Empress
#2
Conway, AR USA
1,785 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by Buck1949
Yes - August 2015

I have managed to get information and prices for the 2015 cruise via Uniworld for either August 7th or August 8th, 2015. The sail date is a bit uncertain until the actual itinerary is published sometime during the first couple of months of 2014. I have heard rumor that the overall pricing is rising possibly 5% in 2015 compared to 2014.

The cruise is a 13 day river cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow Russia along the Volga River. While not truly sailing on the waters for the 13 day time period, the ship is being used for 3 days before and 3 days after sailing as a floating hotel. The last day is disembarkation in the early morning. I found that the cruise includes all lodging, food, wine/beer at dinner, as well as all (there are a few optional) excursions also listed. From what I have found, gratuities will not be included however.

I found the web site for information about this cruise listed as 2014 and hope that it will not vary much for 2015.

http://uniworld.com/boutique-river-cruises/russia/

I also noted that the Russian river cruise is NOT all inclusive like the other Europe river cruises are advertised starting in 2014.

My wife and I, and a few others from Cruise Critic or who we met on the Rhine River Cruise this year have mentioned being interested in a river cruise in Russia. Half the fun is the Planning.

Anyone else thinking about going on the Russian River Cruise in 2015?

Now if I could just find some decent priced Airfare !!!!
Believe it or not, we have been talking to Vantage about this cruise in 2016
Supposedly a new ship for them that year and they put you up in hotels at the beginning and end rather than bussing you from the ship those days. Reviews have said that the bus rides into St. Petersburg and Moscow are terrible because of the traffic and it is much better to be in hotels in the city rather than on the ship. But for 2015 we are doing the Elbe (check that off our bucket list) and NCL cruise that stops at two ports in Croatia, Turkey and Greece. So many places, so little time.
B. Cole
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
B. Cole
#3
Phoenix, Az
1,775 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by cole
Believe it or not, we have been talking to Vantage about this cruise in 2016
Supposedly a new ship for them that year and they put you up in hotels at the beginning and end rather than bussing you from the ship those days. Reviews have said that the bus rides into St. Petersburg and Moscow are terrible because of the traffic and it is much better to be in hotels in the city rather than on the ship. But for 2015 we are doing the Elbe (check that off our bucket list) and NCL cruise that stops at two ports in Croatia, Turkey and Greece. So many places, so little time.
B. Cole
Sounds like you are an advance planner also. This coming summer we are on NCL - Epic out of Rome for 7 days round trip. We are actually going to fly into Venice 4 days early...then take the train to port, and we are staying 2 days afterward in Rome to actually tour the city.

I have not gotten beyond 2015 to think of planning just yet, but we have lot's of places we would love to do. We have talked of Paris / Normandy, the Panama Canal, etc. My wife is more of a bus/land escorted traveler and I love the cruises....so the River Cruise has been pretty much of a compromise.

We actually were in port in St. Petersburg for 2 days in 2009 and traveled into the city via bus both days. I did not find it too bad at all... of course that was a few years ago, and I can't speak to the traffic in Moscow. I have read reviews that mention that the bus rides can be a pain, but I also noted that there are few river cruises that offer the hotels. We fell in love with Uniworld on our Rhine cruise this summer, and with a lot of things in life - you hate to change things that work well

Heck you have nothing planned for 2014?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FOR THOSE ON The Celebrity Millennium - 6/29/2018 - Alaska
Meet and Greet Info & Signup
If a minimum of 25 people are registered, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Celebrity. A bar will be available to purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email.
=================
Click Here to Email Me
=================






Sailed:
  • Aug 1993 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Vancouver - 'Original' Star Princess
  • July 2009 - Baltics (Dover, England to St.Petersburg, Russia) NCL Jewel
  • July 15, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Seattle - NCL Pearl
  • September 1st 2013 - Castles Along the Rhine - Uniworld's 'SS Antoinette'
  • June 4, 2014 - Rome/Mediterranean - NCL Epic (roundtrip)
  • February 10, 2015 - (Coastal) LA - Ensenada, Mex - Crown Princess (Linda)
  • March 27, 2016 - Panama Canal - Miami to San Diego - Celebrity Infinity
  • September 30, 2016 - New England (Fall Colors) - Quebec City to Boston - NCL Dawn
  • March 9, 2017 - California Coastal - with Catalina Island - Star Princess
Booked:
  • February 16, 2018 - Panama Canal - Miami to Los Angeles - NCL Star
  • June 23, 2018 - Alaska Land/Cruise - Fairbanks to Vancouver - Celebrity Millennium


    Our Bucket List:
    • Pacific NW - Columbia River Cruise via American Empress
#4
Conway, AR USA
1,785 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by Buck1949
Sounds like you are an advance planner also. This coming summer we are on NCL - Epic out of Rome for 7 days round trip. We are actually going to fly into Venice 4 days early...then take the train to port, and we are staying 2 days afterward in Rome to actually tour the city.

I have not gotten beyond 2015 to think of planning just yet, but we have lot's of places we would love to do. We have talked of Paris / Normandy, the Panama Canal, etc. My wife is more of a bus/land escorted traveler and I love the cruises....so the River Cruise has been pretty much of a compromise.

We actually were in port in St. Petersburg for 2 days in 2009 and traveled into the city via bus both days. I did not find it too bad at all... of course that was a few years ago, and I can't speak to the traffic in Moscow. I have read reviews that mention that the bus rides can be a pain, but I also noted that there are few river cruises that offer the hotels. We fell in love with Uniworld on our Rhine cruise this summer, and with a lot of things in life - you hate to change things that work well

Heck you have nothing planned for 2014?
Absolutely have 2014 already booked! We are traveling with Uniworld on the Douro in April and Princess on a British Isles Cruise in August (7 nights) from Dover. We also love Uniworld. We were with them in South France and looking forward to traveling again with them on the Douro. We never felt more taken care of than with them. Nothing is in stone for 2016 yet as far as which company we will use.
B. Cole
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
B. Cole
#5
Phoenix, Az
1,775 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by cole
Absolutely have 2014 already booked! We are traveling with Uniworld on the Douro in April and Princess on a British Isles Cruise in August (7 nights) from Dover. We also love Uniworld. We were with them in South France and looking forward to traveling again with them on the Douro. We never felt more taken care of than with them. Nothing is in stone for 2016 yet as far as which company we will use.
B. Cole
Wow...busy traveler for sure !!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy ... sounds like fun !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FOR THOSE ON The Celebrity Millennium - 6/29/2018 - Alaska
Meet and Greet Info & Signup
If a minimum of 25 people are registered, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Celebrity. A bar will be available to purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email.
=================
Click Here to Email Me
=================






Sailed:
  • Aug 1993 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Vancouver - 'Original' Star Princess
  • July 2009 - Baltics (Dover, England to St.Petersburg, Russia) NCL Jewel
  • July 15, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Seattle - NCL Pearl
  • September 1st 2013 - Castles Along the Rhine - Uniworld's 'SS Antoinette'
  • June 4, 2014 - Rome/Mediterranean - NCL Epic (roundtrip)
  • February 10, 2015 - (Coastal) LA - Ensenada, Mex - Crown Princess (Linda)
  • March 27, 2016 - Panama Canal - Miami to San Diego - Celebrity Infinity
  • September 30, 2016 - New England (Fall Colors) - Quebec City to Boston - NCL Dawn
  • March 9, 2017 - California Coastal - with Catalina Island - Star Princess
Booked:
  • February 16, 2018 - Panama Canal - Miami to Los Angeles - NCL Star
  • June 23, 2018 - Alaska Land/Cruise - Fairbanks to Vancouver - Celebrity Millennium


    Our Bucket List:
    • Pacific NW - Columbia River Cruise via American Empress
#6
Coastal NC
3,236 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Buck 1949: Bill, I tried to send an email to you via your signature and I got a message come across my computer asking if i wanted AOL to make a change on my hard drive . Never did connect your you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sharon

Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011.
Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. 12/11/11.
Grand Circle's [i]Essence of the Elbe: 5/27/12/ to 6/11/12
Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn , 2012. .
Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G
Grand Circle, Burma and the Irrawaddy, Thailand and Cambodia. Nov 25, 2014. RV Paukan 2012.
Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian
AMAWaterways: Magnificent Europe. Aug 30 to Sept 14, 2015. AMACerto. Budapest to Amsterdam
Vantage: The Peruvian Amazon and Machu Picchu. 3/12/2016. Post trip to Lake Titicaca. Ship: RV Amazon Discovery
Grand Circle: Grand Baltic Sea Voyage. . 7/30/2016 to 8/15/2016. Ship: Corinthian
Viking: Castles & Legends. Munich to Budapest. 12/5/16 to 12/16/16. Viking Ve.
Viking Sky: Mediterranean Getaway, Rome to Barcelona, 2/25/17 to 3/4/17.

Grand Circle: Maritime Jewels of the British Isles. 7/23/17. Ship: Corinthian
Avalon Affinity: Burgundy & Provence with London, 10/2/17
Viking RA: Pharaohs & Pyramids. March 8, 2018
#7
Phoenix, Az
1,775 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by H2Otstr
Buck 1949: Bill, I tried to send an email to you via your signature and I got a message come across my computer asking if i wanted AOL to make a change on my hard drive . Never did connect your you.
Wow, that is weird...... I don't have any email address with AOL, or anything with AOL for that matter......will revisit it in my edit signature line here. In the mean time - buck AT Bestinaz DOT com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FOR THOSE ON The Celebrity Millennium - 6/29/2018 - Alaska
Meet and Greet Info & Signup
If a minimum of 25 people are registered, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Celebrity. A bar will be available to purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email.
=================
Click Here to Email Me
=================






Sailed:
  • Aug 1993 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Vancouver - 'Original' Star Princess
  • July 2009 - Baltics (Dover, England to St.Petersburg, Russia) NCL Jewel
  • July 15, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Seattle - NCL Pearl
  • September 1st 2013 - Castles Along the Rhine - Uniworld's 'SS Antoinette'
  • June 4, 2014 - Rome/Mediterranean - NCL Epic (roundtrip)
  • February 10, 2015 - (Coastal) LA - Ensenada, Mex - Crown Princess (Linda)
  • March 27, 2016 - Panama Canal - Miami to San Diego - Celebrity Infinity
  • September 30, 2016 - New England (Fall Colors) - Quebec City to Boston - NCL Dawn
  • March 9, 2017 - California Coastal - with Catalina Island - Star Princess
Booked:
  • February 16, 2018 - Panama Canal - Miami to Los Angeles - NCL Star
  • June 23, 2018 - Alaska Land/Cruise - Fairbanks to Vancouver - Celebrity Millennium


    Our Bucket List:
    • Pacific NW - Columbia River Cruise via American Empress
#8
Santa Paula CA
3,415 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Quote from Buck1949:
We actually were in port in St. Petersburg for 2 days in 2009 and traveled into the city via bus both days. I did not find it too bad at all... of course that was a few years ago, and I can't speak to the traffic in Moscow.
We just got back, and the traffic in both cities is horrendous! The main advantage to sailing with Vantage is they put you up in hotels in the center of both cities instead of busing you in from the ship every day.
We found some great restaurants in St. Petersburg next to our hotel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
It serves no purpose to list all the cruises I have been on chronologically. Many of the lines or ships do not exist any more, or have been renamed. I have sailed on NCL,Bermuda Star, Regency, Royal, Silverseas, Mississippi Queen, Vantage, Marco Polo, Scottish Highlander, Princess, Victoria, Hebridean Princess, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Oceania, Cunard, Rembrandt, and Lev Tolstoy.
#10
Phoenix, Az
1,775 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by Fairfield Nana
Hey Buck-- tried second time. hope it went thru. Still deliberating about the Russia river cruise. Take care and have a great New Year!!

otis
It worked Otis...thanks.... and think HARD about that Russian River Cruise.... Looking forward to having you and Joan along. It would be GREAT !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FOR THOSE ON The Celebrity Millennium - 6/29/2018 - Alaska
Meet and Greet Info & Signup
If a minimum of 25 people are registered, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Celebrity. A bar will be available to purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email.
=================
Click Here to Email Me
=================






Sailed:
  • Aug 1993 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Vancouver - 'Original' Star Princess
  • July 2009 - Baltics (Dover, England to St.Petersburg, Russia) NCL Jewel
  • July 15, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Seattle - NCL Pearl
  • September 1st 2013 - Castles Along the Rhine - Uniworld's 'SS Antoinette'
  • June 4, 2014 - Rome/Mediterranean - NCL Epic (roundtrip)
  • February 10, 2015 - (Coastal) LA - Ensenada, Mex - Crown Princess (Linda)
  • March 27, 2016 - Panama Canal - Miami to San Diego - Celebrity Infinity
  • September 30, 2016 - New England (Fall Colors) - Quebec City to Boston - NCL Dawn
  • March 9, 2017 - California Coastal - with Catalina Island - Star Princess
Booked:
  • February 16, 2018 - Panama Canal - Miami to Los Angeles - NCL Star
  • June 23, 2018 - Alaska Land/Cruise - Fairbanks to Vancouver - Celebrity Millennium


    Our Bucket List:
    • Pacific NW - Columbia River Cruise via American Empress
#11
Long Island, New York
4,551 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by Talisker92
Quote from Buck1949:
We actually were in port in St. Petersburg for 2 days in 2009 and traveled into the city via bus both days. I did not find it too bad at all... of course that was a few years ago, and I can't speak to the traffic in Moscow.
We just got back, and the traffic in both cities is horrendous! The main advantage to sailing with Vantage is they put you up in hotels in the center of both cities instead of busing you in from the ship every day.
We found some great restaurants in St. Petersburg next to our hotel.
Soviet Café? It's one of my favorite restaurants...we had the most wonderful, reasonably priced meals and a real interaction with a Russian couple sitting next to us who heard us speaking English and asked where we were from....discovered many things in common like careers, education and politics. We spent about 4 hours eating, drinking and solving the world's problems....now if we could only figure out how to get our respective governments to listen to our plans......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Greek Islands and Turkey, Louis Perla, October, 2006
Castles on Rhine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2008
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016
Canada-New England, Celebrity Summit, Oct 2016
Caribbean, RCI Grandeur of the Seas, Jan, 2017

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Scandinavia-Russia, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
Norway Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
South America & Antarctica, Infinity, Feb. 2018
British Isles, Celebrity, August, 2018
Transatlantic Barcelona to FLL, HAL, October 2018
#12
Phoenix, Az
1,775 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
I have heard that one of the cruise lines has decided not to do the Russian River cruise in 2015, opting to do a land tour between St Petersburg and Moscow instead. Not sure what cruise line.....but wonder why they would discontinue this popular cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FOR THOSE ON The Celebrity Millennium - 6/29/2018 - Alaska
Meet and Greet Info & Signup
If a minimum of 25 people are registered, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Celebrity. A bar will be available to purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email.
=================
Click Here to Email Me
=================






Sailed:
  • Aug 1993 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Vancouver - 'Original' Star Princess
  • July 2009 - Baltics (Dover, England to St.Petersburg, Russia) NCL Jewel
  • July 15, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Seattle - NCL Pearl
  • September 1st 2013 - Castles Along the Rhine - Uniworld's 'SS Antoinette'
  • June 4, 2014 - Rome/Mediterranean - NCL Epic (roundtrip)
  • February 10, 2015 - (Coastal) LA - Ensenada, Mex - Crown Princess (Linda)
  • March 27, 2016 - Panama Canal - Miami to San Diego - Celebrity Infinity
  • September 30, 2016 - New England (Fall Colors) - Quebec City to Boston - NCL Dawn
  • March 9, 2017 - California Coastal - with Catalina Island - Star Princess
Booked:
  • February 16, 2018 - Panama Canal - Miami to Los Angeles - NCL Star
  • June 23, 2018 - Alaska Land/Cruise - Fairbanks to Vancouver - Celebrity Millennium


    Our Bucket List:
    • Pacific NW - Columbia River Cruise via American Empress
#13
Santa Paula CA
3,415 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by Hydrokitty
Soviet Café? It's one of my favorite restaurants...we had the most wonderful, reasonably priced meals and a real interaction with a Russian couple sitting next to us who heard us speaking English and asked where we were from....discovered many things in common like careers, education and politics. We spent about 4 hours eating, drinking and solving the world's problems....now if we could only figure out how to get our respective governments to listen to our plans......
Absolutely!! We ate there every night! Plus there is a great Chinese restaurant across the street called nihao. In Cryllic it is spelled HNXAO but the N is backwards
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
It serves no purpose to list all the cruises I have been on chronologically. Many of the lines or ships do not exist any more, or have been renamed. I have sailed on NCL,Bermuda Star, Regency, Royal, Silverseas, Mississippi Queen, Vantage, Marco Polo, Scottish Highlander, Princess, Victoria, Hebridean Princess, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Oceania, Cunard, Rembrandt, and Lev Tolstoy.
#14
Marysville, Australia
457 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Buck1949
I have heard that one of the cruise lines has decided not to do the Russian River cruise in 2015, opting to do a land tour between St Petersburg and Moscow instead. Not sure what cruise line.....but wonder why they would discontinue this popular cruise.
Bill we are going on the Volga Dream on Aug 14th 2014...the price is around $3500 for 11 nights, incl 3 nights in St P and 2 nights in Moscow. we found this a much cheaper option than many other boats and this is a 5 star boat also
Rod and Barry, Australia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rod and Barry, from Australia
Sailed on Norwegian Sun to Alaska June 2005
Sailed on Scenic ship Budapest-Amsterdam Nov 2009
Sailed on RCCL Baltimore to Nova Scotia Nov2010
Sailed on Costa Deliziosa Med cruise Dec 2010
Sailed on Pride of America to Hawaii, Dec 2011
Sailed on NCL Jade 18th Feb 2012
Sailed on HAL Ryndam, 14n May 4th 2013 Norse Legends and Viking Sagas
Sailed on NCL Star Panama Canal Oct 27th 2013
Sailed on RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 11th Feb 2014
Sailed on Celebrity Millenium Transpacific Yokohama to Vancouver 10th May, 2014
Sailed on Volga Dream, Russian river cruise 14 August 2014
Sailed on NCL Jade Mediterranean 30th August 2014
Sailed on P&O Arcadia, Singapore to Southhampton
25th March 2015
Sailed on NCL Dawn Boston-New Orleans 30th October 2015
Sailed on P&O Aurora Brisbane-Sthampton 23rd Feb 2016
Sailed on Dawn Princess Sydney-Papua New Guinea 19th May 2016
Sailed on RCI Vision of the Seas Venice-Dubai 24th Nov 2016
Sailed on P&O UK Aurora SIngapore to San Francisco Feb 2017









#15
Phoenix, Az
1,775 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by Rodbarry
Bill we are going on the Volga Dream on Aug 14th 2014...the price is around $3500 for 11 nights, incl 3 nights in St P and 2 nights in Moscow. we found this a much cheaper option than many other boats and this is a 5 star boat also
Rod and Barry, Australia
Rod and Barry,
I would love to hear how your cruise goes, especially since you are traveling at the same time of year that we are planning. There were some interesting reviews about your ship on Trip Advisor.

We opted to go on a cruise that gave us the extra day in Moscow. I noted that AMA waterways also had an 11 day cruise, but my wife and I really wanted to see more of Moscow thus finding a cruise that gave the extra day was important. We did spend 2 days in St. Petersburg in 2009. What a fascinating city/country. That trip gave us the desire to go back and spend more time.

Have you made arrangements for your visa yet? Just curious if the requirements for Australian citizens are similar to the US. That part for us seems to be a pain. I am for sure going to locate a visa service agency to help out with the process.

Safe Travels,
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FOR THOSE ON The Celebrity Millennium - 6/29/2018 - Alaska
Meet and Greet Info & Signup
If a minimum of 25 people are registered, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Celebrity. A bar will be available to purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email.
=================
Click Here to Email Me
=================






Sailed:
  • Aug 1993 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Vancouver - 'Original' Star Princess
  • July 2009 - Baltics (Dover, England to St.Petersburg, Russia) NCL Jewel
  • July 15, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Seattle - NCL Pearl
  • September 1st 2013 - Castles Along the Rhine - Uniworld's 'SS Antoinette'
  • June 4, 2014 - Rome/Mediterranean - NCL Epic (roundtrip)
  • February 10, 2015 - (Coastal) LA - Ensenada, Mex - Crown Princess (Linda)
  • March 27, 2016 - Panama Canal - Miami to San Diego - Celebrity Infinity
  • September 30, 2016 - New England (Fall Colors) - Quebec City to Boston - NCL Dawn
  • March 9, 2017 - California Coastal - with Catalina Island - Star Princess
Booked:
  • February 16, 2018 - Panama Canal - Miami to Los Angeles - NCL Star
  • June 23, 2018 - Alaska Land/Cruise - Fairbanks to Vancouver - Celebrity Millennium


    Our Bucket List:
    • Pacific NW - Columbia River Cruise via American Empress
#16
Santa Paula CA
3,415 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by Rodbarry
Bill we are going on the Volga Dream on Aug 14th 2014...the price is around $3500 for 11 nights, incl 3 nights in St P and 2 nights in Moscow. we found this a much cheaper option than many other boats and this is a 5 star boat also
Rod and Barry, Australia
I looked up the ship ,and that price is for an "aquarium" cabin that is 100 square feet (10 foot by 10 foot)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
It serves no purpose to list all the cruises I have been on chronologically. Many of the lines or ships do not exist any more, or have been renamed. I have sailed on NCL,Bermuda Star, Regency, Royal, Silverseas, Mississippi Queen, Vantage, Marco Polo, Scottish Highlander, Princess, Victoria, Hebridean Princess, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Oceania, Cunard, Rembrandt, and Lev Tolstoy.
#17
Long Island, New York
4,551 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by Buck1949
I have heard that one of the cruise lines has decided not to do the Russian River cruise in 2015, opting to do a land tour between St Petersburg and Moscow instead. Not sure what cruise line.....but wonder why they would discontinue this popular cruise.
Bill I read in a post that Vantage was changing it's Russian tour to a land tour but I just got the 2014 catalog and river cruise is still in it. All I can tell you is it was a wonderful trip. The Tolstoy was old but very comfortable. The food was not fantastic but more than adequate. And the land portion (2 nights in Moscow and 3 nights in St. Pete) was fantastic. We also did the pre-trip to Kiev and it was well worth the money and I would suggest it if you have the time to add 5 days to your trip. There were people on our trip who did both pre and post extensions but we couldn't be away that long so we opted for Kiev and will do Baltic Caps with Celebrity instead.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Greek Islands and Turkey, Louis Perla, October, 2006
Castles on Rhine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2008
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016
Canada-New England, Celebrity Summit, Oct 2016
Caribbean, RCI Grandeur of the Seas, Jan, 2017

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Scandinavia-Russia, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
Norway Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
South America & Antarctica, Infinity, Feb. 2018
British Isles, Celebrity, August, 2018
Transatlantic Barcelona to FLL, HAL, October 2018
#18
Phoenix, Az
1,775 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by Hydrokitty
Bill I read in a post that Vantage was changing it's Russian tour to a land tour but I just got the 2014 catalog and river cruise is still in it. All I can tell you is it was a wonderful trip. The Tolstoy was old but very comfortable. The food was not fantastic but more than adequate. And the land portion (2 nights in Moscow and 3 nights in St. Pete) was fantastic. We also did the pre-trip to Kiev and it was well worth the money and I would suggest it if you have the time to add 5 days to your trip. There were people on our trip who did both pre and post extensions but we couldn't be away that long so we opted for Kiev and will do Baltic Caps with Celebrity instead.
Hmmmm I heard that it was beginning in 2015.... but not sure either.

We did the Baltic's in 2009 with NCL - from Dover England r/t with St. Petersburg being the highlight of the entire cruise. We did stops at Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm, Tallin, Estonia, St. Petersburg, Warnemunde in Germany, (not in that order) and all were unique in their own way. I am sure you will enjoy the Baltics.

Never considered pre/post stops for Russia. Not sure after 14 days or so...if I want to spend more time. Just got back from spending 18 days in Germany etc. and was ready for some R & R at home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FOR THOSE ON The Celebrity Millennium - 6/29/2018 - Alaska
Meet and Greet Info & Signup
If a minimum of 25 people are registered, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Celebrity. A bar will be available to purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email.
=================
Click Here to Email Me
=================






Sailed:
  • Aug 1993 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Vancouver - 'Original' Star Princess
  • July 2009 - Baltics (Dover, England to St.Petersburg, Russia) NCL Jewel
  • July 15, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Seattle - NCL Pearl
  • September 1st 2013 - Castles Along the Rhine - Uniworld's 'SS Antoinette'
  • June 4, 2014 - Rome/Mediterranean - NCL Epic (roundtrip)
  • February 10, 2015 - (Coastal) LA - Ensenada, Mex - Crown Princess (Linda)
  • March 27, 2016 - Panama Canal - Miami to San Diego - Celebrity Infinity
  • September 30, 2016 - New England (Fall Colors) - Quebec City to Boston - NCL Dawn
  • March 9, 2017 - California Coastal - with Catalina Island - Star Princess
Booked:
  • February 16, 2018 - Panama Canal - Miami to Los Angeles - NCL Star
  • June 23, 2018 - Alaska Land/Cruise - Fairbanks to Vancouver - Celebrity Millennium


    Our Bucket List:
    • Pacific NW - Columbia River Cruise via American Empress
#19
Long Island, New York
4,551 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by Buck1949
Hmmmm I heard that it was beginning in 2015.... but not sure either.

We did the Baltic's in 2009 with NCL - from Dover England r/t with St. Petersburg being the highlight of the entire cruise. We did stops at Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm, Tallin, Estonia, St. Petersburg, Warnemunde in Germany, (not in that order) and all were unique in their own way. I am sure you will enjoy the Baltics.

Never considered pre/post stops for Russia. Not sure after 14 days or so...if I want to spend more time. Just got back from spending 18 days in Germany etc. and was ready for some R & R at home.
Hey Bill, I just checked my catalogs and the one for 2014 still lists Russia with the river cruise. Maybe it is 2015, and if they're dropping the cruise that will be a real shame because while Moscow and St. Pete are truly wonderful, the cruise ports were marvelous, especially Kizshi. I know it's a long time to be away from home but since you've already done the Baltics, I can't push too hard to try and convince you to do Kiev! It was beyond my expectations in its beauty. I would say it was one of the best parts of the trip!! I have photos, if you want to see them, send me an e-mail and I'll send you the link. I haven't figured out how to transfer them from Shutterfly to CC yet
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Greek Islands and Turkey, Louis Perla, October, 2006
Castles on Rhine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2008
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016
Canada-New England, Celebrity Summit, Oct 2016
Caribbean, RCI Grandeur of the Seas, Jan, 2017

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Scandinavia-Russia, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
Norway Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
South America & Antarctica, Infinity, Feb. 2018
British Isles, Celebrity, August, 2018
Transatlantic Barcelona to FLL, HAL, October 2018
#20
Phoenix, Az
1,775 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by Hydrokitty
Hey Bill, I just checked my catalogs and the one for 2014 still lists Russia with the river cruise. Maybe it is 2015, and if they're dropping the cruise that will be a real shame because while Moscow and St. Pete are truly wonderful, the cruise ports were marvelous, especially Kizshi. I know it's a long time to be away from home but since you've already done the Baltics, I can't push too hard to try and convince you to do Kiev! It was beyond my expectations in its beauty. I would say it was one of the best parts of the trip!! I have photos, if you want to see them, send me an e-mail and I'll send you the link. I haven't figured out how to transfer them from Shutterfly to CC yet
Please provide the link. My email link is below my signature line. Would love to see the photos. We can always consider the extra time......... IF I don't run out of money 1st !!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FOR THOSE ON The Celebrity Millennium - 6/29/2018 - Alaska
Meet and Greet Info & Signup
If a minimum of 25 people are registered, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Celebrity. A bar will be available to purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email.
=================
Click Here to Email Me
=================






Sailed:
  • Aug 1993 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Vancouver - 'Original' Star Princess
  • July 2009 - Baltics (Dover, England to St.Petersburg, Russia) NCL Jewel
  • July 15, 2012 - Alaska Inside Passage - via Seattle - NCL Pearl
  • September 1st 2013 - Castles Along the Rhine - Uniworld's 'SS Antoinette'
  • June 4, 2014 - Rome/Mediterranean - NCL Epic (roundtrip)
  • February 10, 2015 - (Coastal) LA - Ensenada, Mex - Crown Princess (Linda)
  • March 27, 2016 - Panama Canal - Miami to San Diego - Celebrity Infinity
  • September 30, 2016 - New England (Fall Colors) - Quebec City to Boston - NCL Dawn
  • March 9, 2017 - California Coastal - with Catalina Island - Star Princess
Booked:
  • February 16, 2018 - Panama Canal - Miami to Los Angeles - NCL Star
  • June 23, 2018 - Alaska Land/Cruise - Fairbanks to Vancouver - Celebrity Millennium


    Our Bucket List:
    • Pacific NW - Columbia River Cruise via American Empress