Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Eastern or Western Caribbean

I am taking my family (husband and 2 sons 11 and 7) on a cruise on wither the Allure or Oasis in March. I am looking for advice on which itinerary is better. My husband wants to scuba dive....I like pretty beaches and animal interactions.

Also, does anyone have any favorite excursions on either itinerary?

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:26 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwallace83 View Post
I am taking my family (husband and 2 sons 11 and 7) on a cruise on wither the Allure or Oasis in March. I am looking for advice on which itinerary is better. My husband wants to scuba dive....I like pretty beaches and animal interactions.

It's not the prettiest beach, but we've enjoyed spending an hour at Maho Beach in St. Maarten and watching the airplanes land.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
It's not the prettiest beach, but we've enjoyed spending an hour at Maho Beach in St. Maarten and watching the airplanes land.
Marginally off topic, I am looking to do this in November. Is it easy to get a taxi back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwallace83 View Post

I have done Eastern and Western on Allure.

Eastern has the Bahamas (Blue Lagoon Island is gorgeous and has a dolphin encounter), St Thomas (which is nice but beaches tend to be more crowded so perhaps take a trip over to St John which by all account has stunning beaches which are generally speaking a little quieter) and St Maarten (gorgeous island and gorgeous beaches around the whole island).

Western has Labadee (private island so not a huge variety of those sorts of activities), Jamaica (some nice beaches, Dunns River Falls) and Cozumel (I did a semi-sub trip here and saw lots of snorkelling groups so guess they do suba diving and it was stunning).

Jo

Last edited by jo24; January 7th, 2014 at 10:37 AM.

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:39 AM
10,000+ Club

The Western Caribbean offers Cozumel, which is a favorite for divers, and there are a few decent beaches. Labadee has nice beaches, but no diving, that I'm aware of. And Falmouth......well, it has shops!

The Eastern Caribbean, as Bob mentioned has Maho beach on St. Maartin, but not diving that is good, and then St. Thomas, a great beach on the other side of the island, Megans Bay, but not good diving, and the last stop is Nassau.

With the Oasis and Allure, it's the ships that are the destination, not the itinerary, IMHO!

Rick
History:BB, SS Hastings X3 '53, '54, '55, BR, SS Brazil '52, Tropical '94, Elation '95; Together, Pacific Princess '96, Veendam '97, Universe Explorer '97, Melody B2B '98, Melody B2B '99, Crown Princess '99, R-2 Greece '00, R-4 Tahiti '01, Mercury B2B Alaska '01, R-3 Med '01, R-1 Med '01, NCL Wind '01, Legend Hawaii 4/03, Golden Princess NE 9/03, Legend Hawaii 3/04, La Tortue Canal Du Midi 5/04, Mercury MR 2/05, Ziederdam Carib 4/05, Legend OS Canary Islands 5/05, Monarch OS 8/05, W Carib 12/05, Mercury MR 2/06. B2B Monarch 3/06, B2B Jewel OS TA & Baltic 4/06, Monarch B2B 9/06,Jewel OS NE/Cda 9/06, Mercury Panama Canal 12/06, Vision OS MR 2/07, Monarch 5/07, Melody Rhine & Mosel 6/07, Explorer OS 10/07, Navigator OTS TA 11/07, Vision OS 1/08, Explorer OS 2/08, Monarch OTS 4/08, Jewel OS Ire/Scotl/Nwgn fjords 6/08, Monarch 9/08, Monarch B2B 10/08, Monarch Panama Canal 10/08. Mariner 1/09 B2B2B "Hornblower". 2/09 Mariner pre inaugural, Mariner 4/09 MR , 5/09 Mariner PacNW. 9/6 B2B Mariner OTS, Radiance B2B 10/4/09 MR, Radiance 11/09 B2B, Mariner 11/29 B2B, Radiance 1/22/10,Voyager 3/10, Radiance OTS 4/10, Radiance 5/10, Radiance 5/10 Alaska transition, Majesty 8/10 B2B2B, Mariner 9/10 B2B, Mariner OTS 9/10 Mariner 11/10, Allure OTS PI, 11/10, Radiance 12/10 Majesty OTS B2B 12/10, Mariner OTS ATH reunion 1/11, Golden Prn Hawaii 4//11, Explorer OTS B2B 10/11,Mariner OTS B2B2B 11&12/11. Prin Sapphire 2/12,Majesty 3/12, Navigator 3/12, Rhapsody Alaska 5/12, Jewel TA 8/12, Infinity-PC 10/12, Brilliance 12/12 B2B2B, Vision 4/13 TA, Fjords & Baltics B2B2B, 5/13 QM2 W. crsing, 9/13 Golden Prin Alaska, 10/13 Golden Prin B2B2B2B - Pacific Cstl, 12/13 Liberty B2B, 12/13 Legend S.Carib, 2/14 Sapphire Prn MR, 3/14 Sapphire Prn Sea of Cortez/Cstl B2B 4/14 Adventure OTS TA, 5/14 AmaPrima Ams to Bud, 8/14 NV B2B, 9/14 Crown Princess Pac Coastal.

PROUD CHARTER MEMBER OF THE NOOTS. NOOTS #9
CHARTER MEMBER "HOOT TA HOO'S"
Pinnacle Club Member
Celebrity Elite
Princess Elite

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:42 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo24 View Post
Marginally off topic, I am looking to do this in November. Is it easy to get a taxi back?
Yes, it was for us. We had taken the bus to the beach for $2pp. For the way back, we went to the bus stop and at least 3 different taxis came by asking if we wanted a ride back. We got tired of waiting for the bus and got a taxi for $20 for the four of us. I think the taxi is normally $8pp.

Past Cruises

RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 7th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, it was for us. We had taken the bus to the beach for $2pp. For the way back, we went to the bus stop and at least 3 different taxis came by asking if we wanted a ride back. We got tired of waiting for the bus and got a taxi for $20 for the four of us. I think the taxi is normally $8pp.
That is really helpful information, thank you. I have a trip in the morning (couple of hours) and then wanted to head there from lunch onwards for a couple of hours.

Definitely something I have always wanted to do in St Maarten so would recommend it to anyone else before I have even been!

Jo

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:50 AM
5,000+ Club

Just check to make sure you get there before one of the big planes land. It's worth rushing over for that alone! We now go to Maho every time we're in St. Maarten.

Talk to me: CapsFan2@hotmail.com

Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been - Jimmy Buffett, My Idol

11/07 Majesty of the Seas, 4/08 Grandeur of the Seas, 1/09 Majesty of the Seas, 9/09 Freedom of the Seas, 11/09 Majesty of the Seas, 4/10 Explorer of the Seas, 10/10 Serenade of the Seas. 11/10 Majesty of the Seas, 2/11 Majesty of the Seas, 11/11 Navigator of the Seas, 3/12 Liberty of the Seas, 11/12 Carnival Pride (never again) , 11/12 Adventure of the Seas (Back to Back), 3/13 Freedom of the Seas, 9/13 Brilliance of the Seas, 12/13 Independence of the Seas, 5/14 Explorer of the Seas

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:50 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
That is really helpful information, thank you. I have a trip in the morning (couple of hours) and then wanted to head there from lunch onwards for a couple of hours.

Definitely something I have always wanted to do in St Maarten so would recommend it to anyone else before I have even been!

Jo
Jo, the place to go at Maho beach is the Sunset Bar and Grill. Good food, and drink, and excellent for watching planes land!

Rick

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:

Jo
Only thing I will suggest is to start back at least 2 hours before all aboard time. There can be traffic on the road back to the ship.

Past Cruises

Old January 7th, 2014, 11:04 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Only thing I will suggest is to start back at least 2 hours before all aboard time. There can be traffic on the road back to the ship.
Bob, when was the last time you were there? I understand that they are working on a new road, that will be much shorter than the time it takes today, but not sure when it will be completed.

Rick

Old January 7th, 2014, 11:25 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubrrick View Post
Bob, when was the last time you were there? I understand that they are working on a new road, that will be much shorter than the time it takes today, but not sure when it will be completed.

Rick
Last time was Dec 2012, so over a year. I was not aware of a new road, and I don't think we used a new road back then.

Past Cruises

Old January 7th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubrrick View Post
Jo, the place to go at Maho beach is the Sunset Bar and Grill. Good food, and drink, and excellent for watching planes land!

Rick
Oh lovely, thank you. We will be heading around lunch but straight after our tour so I was curious about finding something to eat and drink.

Quote:
I had heard this but I so appreciate the clarification on it. We have a late departure, 7pm, so had intended on starting back around 4pm to give plenty of time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Old January 7th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have done both the Eastern and Western iternaries and I have to say that the Eastern Caribbean is our absolute favorite. Although it includes the Bahamas, we stay on the ship while it's in port there and take advantage of a spa day or doing activities that are less crowded since many are in port. You have the most beautiful jewelry shopping I think in St. Thomas (we have been using the same jeweler for over 10 years) and over all we just enjoy the ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten more than the Western.

The Western almost always stop in Cozumel or Grand Cayman and we try to do our best to avoid Mexico these days for obvious reasons.

Either way...you will be cruising and there isn't much better vacation than that, in m book anyway!

MY REVIEWS:
Freedom of the Seas-May 2013

UP NEXT:

AND THEN:

PAST CRUISES:
Carnival May 2008 - Cozumel (Can't remember ship)
Emerald Princess - Eastern Caribbean 3/28/10 (Birthday cruise)
Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean 3/26/11 (Birthday cruise)
Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 11/26/11
Freedom of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean 5/5/13
Freedom of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean 2/9/14

Old January 7th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

About Maho Beach, we walked into town after we got off the ship (or you can take the water taxi) and we walked to Back Street which is two blocks over where all the jewelry shops are and there's a van that makes stops along the way (it has a sign that says Maho Beach) on its dashboard. They consider it a bus but its really a van. It cost us $2.00 per person. It makes a few stops along the way picking up townspeople going to work. We told the driver we wanted to get dropped off at Maho beach and it was the next to last stop. The drive took about 20 minutes. On the way back we walked to the stop where he let us off and we hopped into another van that said Phillipsburg and let us back off in town. It was all very simple and cheap. $4.00 round trip per person!
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 2/13/05
RCCL Adventure of the Seas 1/7/07
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 4/21/08
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 8/9/10
Ruby Princess 12/5/10
Carnival Valor 12/3/11
RCCL Independence of the Seas 12/7/13

Old January 7th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have been on both Eastern and Western and our favorite hands down is Eastern. Can't really nail it down to one reason, I just think that it's prettier. It also seems like the islands are closer so you can visit more without so many sea days. We also LOVE watching flying fish from our balcony.

That being said, I don't think that I would turn down a cruise to either of them.

Carnival Conquest (3), Ecstasy (2), Elation, Legend, Miracle, Paradise, Triumph, and Victory
Golden Princess 1
Norwegian 1

Old January 7th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Western Caribbean sucks in my opinion. Eastern and Southern are the best.

Old January 7th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Done all ports in both itineraries. Eastern by far. When I first started cruising, I thought I would like the western better but boy was I wrong.

I try to avoid itineraries with Cozumel in them. The beaches aren't very good and it's not a pretty island. I don't think there's much to do either.

I wasn't impressed with Labadee either. Beaches were just ok and the chairs felt very packed in. Long lines for the buffet. The labadoozies they come around with are all watery from the heat by the time they arrive. The zip line excursion that we looked forward to seemed to take half the day.

All three eastern ports have good beaches and shopping. Endless excursion options from St Thomas and St Maarten. You can also get to St. John via St Maarten.
Carnival Dream - Exotic Eastern - Sep 21 2013
Freedom of the Seas - Western - Mar 31 2013
Carnival Legend - Western - May 13 2012
Celebrity Summit - Southern - Dec 31 2011
Celebrity Summit - Southern - April 23 2011

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Cruise 701 View Post
...You can also get to St. John via St Maarten.
Better take your passport St. John is in the USVI right next to St. Thomas; quite a long swim from Sint Maarten.

Old January 8th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtd724 View Post
Western Caribbean sucks in my opinion. Eastern and Southern are the best.
Wow so many bad comments about the Western Caribbean! We are headed out for a cruise in two weeks to the western and this has taken some of the excitement away from our looking forward to the cruise. I'd like to hear from some that have positive things to say! We have not cruised that much yet and are hoping we did not make a mistake!

Old January 8th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We've only cruised 5 times (6th coming up in March), and other than our Hawaiian and Bahamas cruises - the others have been Western. We love it.

We actually love Cozumel! Only been there twice, but we loved it. It's an island, so the fears of "Mexico" are almost non-existant. It's a beautiful island. Lots of good shopping for Mexican stuff too. You can even take a ferry to the mainland for some other excursions, but that's a little bit of a stretch for time, imo.

Grand Caymen is stunning. Most beautiful waters. Swim wiht Stingrays seems to be the popular excursions, or just have a beach day. Last time we went, we rented a jeep and drove around the island for the day.

Labadee is my favourite port - nice relaxing beach day with some very unique shopping, especially the Haitian art.

Falmouth - Been to Jamaica a few times, and it's a nice island too - tons of history. A lot of people are put off by anything that makes them uncomfortable - like "pushy" vendors, and Jamaica has some (as does Haiti). Lots to do in Jamaica

We LOVE the Western routes! Now, we've not sailed the Eastern or Southern yet, but we did a 2 week land vacation in St. Kitts/Nevis which was beautiful too.

IMO, if there is nice blue Caribbean water, some palm trees, and nice sand, and freindly people with nice caribbean foods, I'm in heaven! You can find those in both the Western and Eastern/Southern.

so, do not be worried about western, you will enjoy it, I'm sure.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Mar '14 (8.5/10) - Back to Labadee with DW
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Mar '13 (7/10) - Family Vacation!

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Aug '09. (9.5/10). Dream Family Vacation.
Carnival's Holiday - Mexico Aug '08 (8.5/10) -Quick Fix Cruise.
Carnival's Sensation - Bahamas Mar '07 (8.5/10) - Family Spring Break Cruise.
NCLA's Pride of Aloha - Hawaii Aug '06 (9.5/10) -20th Anniversary Cruise! Our FIRST cruise.

Email: toddcan@gmail.com