Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old January 9th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default weird call from what I thought was royal princess

I was just taking a little nap and was half asleep when the phone rang. The lady said she was so and so from what I thought was Royal Princess and said "we have an offer for you". I sent a letter to them on Tuesday because of several issues on our Christmas cruise - yes, one was the balcony full of soot. I thought, man is this fast and they want to offer us something for it.
She continued and said they wanted to give us a free cruise and we had 18 months to travel and all we had to do is write a review after the cruise. I thought they must be getting lots of complaints and need some positive reviews but then I started waking up and thinking more. She went on and then said she needed my credit card. And when I said that I have never had to give my cc when I booked, she said, cruise lines don't take cash and we just need it on file. I thought - STRANGE. SO I said "what cruise line did you say this was?" She said Royal Bahamas Princess.

That is when I said "good bye" My caller ID which I never look up when a call wakes me up says "Royal Cruises". I googled it but didn't find anything.
Anyone ever heard of them?

It must be that time of year. Last night I got a call late (was expecting a call from my son and didn't look at caller id.) It was from Hilton Honors offering us a free trip to Vegas. I suppose they have a new hotel down there.

I need to keep a pair of glasses by each phone

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:48 AM
40,000+ Club

Good thing you woke up before giving that CC#!
PRE CRUISE WITH FAMILY IN MILAN!

Princess Elite Member
52 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Old January 9th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Very Strange Indeed

Are you on the National DO NOT CALL list? Otherwise they are getting your info from someplace you are a customer and already trust. (which is legal) Hmmmmm

Could this be the company. I played on Google a bit and found this
royalbahamacl.com/‎

This also sounds a lot like your call
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3132213AASdM5j

Old January 9th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Scam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by compozer View Post
.......She said Royal Bahamas Princess.

That is when I said "good bye" My caller ID which I never look up when a call wakes me up says "Royal Cruises". I googled it but didn't find anything.
Anyone ever heard of them?
Try to google "Royal Bahamas Cruise Line scam".

"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back."
Steven Wright

__________________________________________________ ______________________
s/s Emerald Seas (Eastern Steamship Lines Inc.), January 1978, Bahamas (4 days)
Carnival Triumph, February 2000, Eastern Caribbean (7 days)
Regal Princess, September 2002, Hawaii (10 days)
Sun Princess, October 2003, Southern Caribbean (10 days)
Grand Princess, February 2004, Western Caribbean (7 days)
Sun Princess, September 2007, Alaska (7 days)
Dawn Princess, February 2008, Mexican Riviera (7 days)
RCCL Liberty of the Sea, March 2010, Western Caribbean (7 days)
Star Princess, November 2013, Hawaii (15 days)
Ruby Princess, March 2014, B2B Caribbean Sampler (9 days)

Last edited by ar1950; January 9th, 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Old January 9th, 2014, 12:17 PM
5,000+ Club

Sounds like the scam phone calls my parents get. Just another reason not to have a home phone!

Upcoming Cruises:
2014: Island Princess-AK
2015: Rhine River Cruise-ZRH to AMS

Old January 9th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Last night I got a call late (was expecting a call from my son and didn't look at caller id.) It was from Hilton Honors offering us a free trip to Vegas. I suppose they have a new hotel down there.
That is for a timeshare that Hilton owns.

Old January 9th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

See what Cruise Critic has to say about this...

Old January 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Yes, we are on the DO NOT CALL LIST. I don't really think it does any good. Only three people have my husband's cell number and he gets odd calls all the time. Haven't answered one in two years.

I did do some googling and like I said, figured it out as soon as I woke up. I would never give out any information especially my cc over the phone. I main reason I mentioned it here was to let others know. I would have hung up right away if it wasn't that I just wrote that letter to Princess.

hpeabody,
yes it does but I hung up before she got to the port charges.

Here is another report on it.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lessons-...y-free-cruise/

This is the number from my caller id:
510 201-5674

And I figured the Hilton one was because we just booked several hotels with them.

I still can't believe all the people that fall for them.

Old January 9th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thrak,
Probably the same company but not the same info she gave me.

I am sure there are many different scams out there.

Old January 9th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thrak,
Probably the same company but not the same info she gave me.

I am sure there are many different scams out there.
Lots and lots of different types of scams and hardly limited to cruising. My land line keeps getting calls from someone who wants to schedule my install of some sort of "senior alert" system. I'm sure they will reach lots of older people who are confused and will end up getting scheduled to install something they never heard of and will, of course, end up being billed for it.

If only there was a button I could push that would make all of these people disintegrate...

Old January 9th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
If only there was a button I could push that would make all of these people disintegrate...
There is a button on top of an air horn that works pretty well. They usually don't call back either.

Previous Sailings:
Caribbean Princess - 6/2014
Ruby Princess - 11/2008 (10th Anniversay Cruise)
Carnival Celebration - 1994
Carnival Ecstasy - 1992, 1996
Carnival Fantasy - 1990
Carnival Holiday - 1988
Premier Oceanic - 1987, 1989

Old January 9th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Getting back to what the call was about.....

Quote:
She continued and said they wanted to give us a free cruise and we had 18 months to travel and all we had to do is write a review after the cruise......
.......She went on and then said she needed my credit card. And when I said that I have never had to give my cc when I booked, she said, cruise lines don't take cash and we just need it on file. I thought - STRANGE. SO I said "what cruise line did you say this was?" She said Royal Bahamas Princess..........
Getting back to why they may want your cc number.....
If you don't want to watch the whole thing then just watch from 1 and 1/2 minutes in to at least 13 minutes. I must say the couple maintained a sense of humor and took the attitude that a cruise is what you make of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgAqxJqQFrs

"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back."
Steven Wright

__________________________________________________ ______________________
s/s Emerald Seas (Eastern Steamship Lines Inc.), January 1978, Bahamas (4 days)
Carnival Triumph, February 2000, Eastern Caribbean (7 days)
Regal Princess, September 2002, Hawaii (10 days)
Sun Princess, October 2003, Southern Caribbean (10 days)
Grand Princess, February 2004, Western Caribbean (7 days)
Sun Princess, September 2007, Alaska (7 days)
Dawn Princess, February 2008, Mexican Riviera (7 days)
RCCL Liberty of the Sea, March 2010, Western Caribbean (7 days)
Star Princess, November 2013, Hawaii (15 days)
Ruby Princess, March 2014, B2B Caribbean Sampler (9 days)

Last edited by ar1950; January 9th, 2014 at 02:04 PM.

Old January 9th, 2014, 02:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Lots and lots of different types of scams and hardly limited to cruising. My land line keeps getting calls from someone who wants to schedule my install of some sort of "senior alert" system. I'm sure they will reach lots of older people who are confused and will end up getting scheduled to install something they never heard of and will, of course, end up being billed for it.

I get these calls all the time. I just block the phone # but in a few days another number shows up.

When our Doctor's office (and between the two of us there are a few calls, it shows up as a 0 number. The scammers have caught on to this also. What a PIA. Can't block the 0 number because it could be the Doctor's office.

I must get myself an air horn.

Royal Princess - Oct. 9th, 2013
Ruby Princes - April 3, 2014
Star Princess - April 29, 2015

Proud Member of the Red Sox & Patriot Nations.

Boston Strong

Old January 9th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Kinda off subject but,

We took the Hilton offer in September in Vegas. Stayed 3 nights at the Elara (great non gambling hotel), received choice of dinner and 2 tickets to a show. It was well worth the $199.00 we paid and could use the vacation on the weekend. You can really get a great vacation with them. Had to listen to a time share speach and when he found out we were not going to buy, it lasted about 15 minutes. Just an FYI.

Old January 9th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

My rule of thumb..... If they call me.. it's probably not something I want or need. And I would never give out my CC unless I placed the call. Glad you didn't get taken.
Explorer of the Seas - November 2006
Regal Princess - 1996

Old January 9th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default No Call List

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeabody View Post
Are you on the National DO NOT CALL list?
I'm thinking that is immaterial. I have my cell and home phone on the lists and am receiving lots of unsolicited offers. Reporting them to the FCC doesn't appear to work, but I still do it.

Old January 9th, 2014, 06:07 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Yes, we are on the DO NOT CALL LIST. I don't really think it does any good. Only three people have my husband's cell number and he gets odd calls all the time. Haven't answered one in two years.

I did do some googling and like I said, figured it out as soon as I woke up. I would never give out any information especially my cc over the phone. I main reason I mentioned it here was to let others know. I would have hung up right away if it wasn't that I just wrote that letter to Princess.

hpeabody,
yes it does but I hung up before she got to the port charges.

Here is another report on it.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lessons-...y-free-cruise/

This is the number from my caller id:
510 201-5674

And I figured the Hilton one was because we just booked several hotels with them.

I still can't believe all the people that fall for them.
Quote:

Yea, it doesn't seem being on the DNC list does any good at all. Too many call calls coming from overseas (they certainly don't worry if you report their drug company or whatever) or those recorded calls that want you to press 1 to talk to someone (which probably gets them to later say, "well, they wanted the info") or they scare you by saying they're your credit card company (so you think you have to talk to them, until you realize if it really was, they would say the name of their company instead) or some local company that's doing cold calls from the local phone book because they're hoping they'll get someone who wants their carpet cleaned or a new roof installed--and won't be mad about the cold call.

About five years ago, my hubby decided to turn off the bell and answering machine for our phone (because of some people and companies he wanted to avoid). We basically use it to make calls. He gave out my cell phone number (which is pre-paid so any wrong numbers get charged) to people who may want to reach him at home, I gave the number to our girl's school, etc., but I need to remember to keep it charged, and again, all these calls count against my balance. I'm not a phone person, so I hate being on the phone. But just about any time I turn the bell on because I'm expecting a call...I'll get those unwanted sales calls. I have told a few of those that we're on the DNC list and they need to check that (if I get a second call from one of these companies, I will ask them for the spelling of their company and return number...then say now I'm going on the FCC website. But I'm guessing that will be futile).

I have a second cell, and I get a ton of spam calls on that number. I'm google the number and often find it's on the complaint websites.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old January 9th, 2014, 06:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Really sad too, because there's been many senior citizens who have fallen for the scams.

The air horn is a great idea.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old January 9th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivesLikeMario View Post
Sounds like the scam phone calls my parents get. Just another reason not to have a home phone!
Sorry to say, not having a home phone doesn't make any difference. I get more garbage calls on my cell phone than we do on our land line number at home. These people can get any number they want to make their calls. It is frustrating. Even with the do not call list, we still get several of these irritating calls.

Ocean Princess 6/2014: Royal Princess 3/2014: Star Princess 5/2013: Sapphire Princess 4/2012: Crown Princess 12/2011: Avalon River Cruise 10/2011: Crown Princess (TA) 5/2011: Sapphire Princess 12/2010: Sapphire Princess (4 day cruise) 12/2010: HAL-Oosterdam 6/2010: Golden Princess 5/2010: Ruby Princess 12/2009: Sapphire Princess 10/2009: Star Princess 5/2009: Golden Princess 3/2009: Emerald Princess 12/2008: Celebrity Mercury 2008: Star Princess 2008: Golden Princess 2008: Royal Princess 2007: Star Princess 2007: Carnival Spirit 2007: HAL-Veendam 2006: Dawn Princess 2006: Tahitian Princess -Tahiti 2006: Tahitian Princess -Hawaii 2006: Dawn Princess 2006: Sapphire Princess 2006: Grand Princess 2005: Diamond Princess 2005: Star Princess 2005: Diamond Princess 2004: Grand Princess 2004: Island Princess 2004: Grand Princess 2003: Grand Princess 2002: Golden Princess 2001: Grand Princess 2000: Royal Caribbean Rhapsody 2000: Celebrity Mercury 1998: Royal Odyssey 1986: Sun Princess 1995: Island Princess 1995: Pacific Princess-Mexico 1983: SS Yukon Star 1964

Old January 9th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Phone Scams

In spite of having home and cell phones on 'Do Not Call' lists, we get lots of scam calls (once had the one that was supposedly from our 'grandson', saying he was in trouble and needed us to wire money immediately!) on both of them. The worst are the bogus or wrong number text messages, since I don't do many texts and pay by the message.

I've found a website that will sometimes help identify who the call was from - it's "WhoCallsMe.com". Enter in the phone number, and sometimes it will come up as an already identified scam or 'robo-call'. I entered in the phone number you listed as being the one which called you, and nothing came up, but you can sumbit a comment about your call from this number to warn someone else.

Cruising since 1977.

Last edited by Kartgv; January 9th, 2014 at 07:28 PM.