Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old January 11th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tom Harper Cruises

We received a very nice brochure from this group. Anyone familiar with them? Can you give us some information?

Old January 11th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

You can google and find their website. They are brand new and if in not mistaken they don't have their FIrst sailing until May 2014.

Old January 12th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We got the catalog, too. I can't lay my hands on it right now, but I thought they were out of Milton, MA, or there abouts? That's the neighborhood that both GCT and Vantage are out of, I beleive. As we've sailed with both GCT and Vantage, how coincidental that Tom has our name and address. Is it one of them operating under yet another name? And as the previous poster mentioned, their maiden sailings aren't until this coming spring.

Last edited by marco; January 12th, 2014 at 01:51 PM.

Old January 13th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here's more info on this line
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1924214

Old June 17th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tom Harper Bankruptcy!

Tom Harper LLC has filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Massachusetts. All of the passengers who have paid for cruises from April 2015 and beyond are out of luck (and on the bankruptcy recovery list). Since January, TH has been soliciting full payment for future trips by offering a 10% discount incentive. These payments had to be made via EFT.

We had paid only the reservation fee of $500 each--and paid that by American Express. AMEX has credited us with that amount, so we are very fortunate. Other passengers who paid by credit card have also been reimbursed by the credit card companies. We, for one, will NEVER prepay by electronic funds transfer--to any company!

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 18th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernerdaddy View Post
Tom Harper LLC has filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Massachusetts. All of the passengers who have paid for cruises from April 2015 and beyond are out of luck (and on the bankruptcy recovery list). Since January, TH has been soliciting full payment for future trips by offering a 10% discount incentive. These payments had to be made via EFT.

We had paid only the reservation fee of $500 each--and paid that by American Express. AMEX has credited us with that amount, so we are very fortunate. Other passengers who paid by credit card have also been reimbursed by the credit card companies. We, for one, will NEVER prepay by electronic funds transfer--to any company!
I agree. I am curious what the look back period for credit cards would be. If someone put a deposit down 6 months ago -- would the credit card company still refund them? I wish everyone good luck in getting their money back. I also received their emails and brochures and am curious how they received my name.

Old June 18th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Their brochures looked nice

Old June 18th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernerdaddy View Post

The unfortunate things we learn from experience....Most companies offer, including the most solid ones, usually offer some kind of incentive to pay early...DH and I have talked about it many times, but never done it and now we never will.
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Canada-New England, Celebrity, October 2016
Elbe: Berlin to Prague, Vantage, 2016
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016

Bucket List:
China and Yangtze River Cruise
Australia and New Zealand
South Africa, Odyssey

Old June 18th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrokitty View Post
The unfortunate things we learn from experience....Most companies offer, including the most solid ones, usually offer some kind of incentive to pay early...DH and I have talked about it many times, but never done it and now we never will.
It would still be worthwhile if you get third-party travel insurance with vendor default coverage -- but make sure your vendor is on the coverage list. I don't think Tom Harper ever was, at least when I checked. ["Vantage Deluxe World Travel" is covered on my Allianz policy -- if that is the same as Vantage river cruises]

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
AMA Provence 9-2015
Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016

Completed:
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015
[http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214872]
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015
[http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2186431]
Fresco Tours "Kinder Camino" 9-2014
[https://jazzbeauxcamino2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/5]
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014
[http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2052866]
Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014
[http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1987671]
AmaCello Rhine 8-2013
[http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916435]
Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013
[http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1877302]
Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974

Last edited by Host Jazzbeau; June 18th, 2015 at 09:50 PM.

Old June 19th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Jazzbeau View Post
It would still be worthwhile if you get third-party travel insurance with vendor default coverage -- but make sure your vendor is on the coverage list. I don't think Tom Harper ever was, at least when I checked. ["Vantage Deluxe World Travel" is covered on my Allianz policy -- if that is the same as Vantage river cruises]
Yes Vanttage Deluxe World Travel has the Vantage river boats. I looked at Allianz and they do NOT list Grand Circle on their coverage list (I have not checked other insurance companies). I have been quite pleased with my six Grand Circle river boat trips, but would worry about paying far in advance by EFT without default coverage (IMO the discount is not worth the risk).

Thom

Old June 19th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerThom View Post
Yes Vanttage Deluxe World Travel has the Vantage river boats. I looked at Allianz and they do NOT list Grand Circle on their coverage list (I have not checked other insurance companies). I have been quite pleased with my six Grand Circle river boat trips, but would worry about paying far in advance by EFT without default coverage (IMO the discount is not worth the risk).

Thom
That's very interesting. I've never traveled with GCT but I never doubted their reputation or solvency. Vantage just happened to send me a brochure for Castle on the Rhine at the perfect time and since we were so satisfied with the first trip we've kept booking with them and never been disappointed. Plus the incentive to rebook with them is a plus.
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Canada-New England, Celebrity, October 2016
Elbe: Berlin to Prague, Vantage, 2016
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016

Bucket List:
China and Yangtze River Cruise
Australia and New Zealand
South Africa, Odyssey

Old June 19th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Default coverage

Travel Guard gold plan covers default of the tour operator. Travel Guard has a list of travel companies /tour operators which are NOT covered. You have to check that your tour operator is not on the list before you purchase the policy.
If you pay early by check or cashiers check, and if you have proper documentation of that early payment, and if you have a third party travelers insurance plan with default coverage, you will be ok and you will be reimbursed.
This is how Travel Guard writes their policy for default of the travel company. There are other companies that may also cover this situation.

Last edited by Shebely; June 19th, 2015 at 08:59 PM.