Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Cruise Passenger Assaulted on Holland America Cruise Ship

Check out the latest Holland America news from Cruise Critic:

Cruise Passenger Assaulted on Holland America Cruise Ship

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Not good...........

Sad to see this happen on any ship to anyone on a cruise or elsewhere Thank You Laura for this news. I pray for the passenger and her family and friends.

Such a sad thing to see happen.

Joanie

"To me a stranger is just a friend I have not yet met."

HAL Menus (All Dining Venues), Daily Explorers, HAL Kids Club and More http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Roll Call
Caribbean Nieuw Amsterdam Dec 7 2014 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886081

Roll Call 4 Day Pacific Coastal Noordam May 5 2015 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2092697
Roll Call
Alaska Inside Passage Noordam May 9 2015 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2019620
Roll Call
Alaska Inside Passage Noordam May 16 2015 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2022226

Past Cruises
:
Brindisi-Piraeus Jun 83

Greek Islands Jun 85
Piraeus-Venice Dec 85
Oosterdam-Alaska May 08
Westerdam-Alaska May 09
Westerdam-Caribbean (E&S) Feb 10
Nieuw Amsterdam-Caribbean (W) Nov 10
Oosterdam-Mexican Riviera Apr 11
Zuiderdam-Alaska Sept 11
Noordam-Caribbean (S) Mar 12
Nieuw Amsterdam-Caribbean (W) Nov 12
Westerdam-Caribbean (S) Dec 12
Zuiderdam-Alaska May 13
Zuiderdam-Panama Canal (PT) Nov 13
Westerdam-Alaska July 14
Westerdam-Alaska July 14

Last edited by IRL_Joanie; February 14th, 2014 at 08:43 PM.

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

So sad to read this. Nude cruise or not, this is just awful news to hear about a HAL cruise passenger.

Veendam - FLL to San Diego - October 2014 (17 days)
30 days on land in the "Southwest"
Amsterdam - San Diego to FLL - December 2014 (14 days)

------------------------------------------------------
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Again - February 2014 (11 days)
Westerdam - West/East Caribbean - March 2013 (14 days)
Amsterdam - Alaska - May 2011 (14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal -Thanksgiving 2010 (10 days)
Veendam - Western Caribbean - Christmas 2006 (7 days)
Maasdam - Eastern Caribbean - Thanksgiving 2005 (10 days)
Maasdam - Southern Caribbean - Christmas & New Years 2004 (11 days)

There are good ships, and wood ships, ships that sail the sea,
but the best ships are friendships, may that always be. (Irish Proverb)

Last edited by Linda&Vern; February 14th, 2014 at 08:55 PM.

Old February 14th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sad.

Carnival Splendor - January 2014 Holland America Zuiderdam - October 2013 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - October 2012 (Superstorm Sandy Sailing) Holland America Eurodam - February-March 2012 Celebrity Millennium - October 2011 Holland America Westerdam - April 2011 (10th Anniversary Cruise) Carnival Pride - September 2010 Ruby Princess - December 2009 Carnival Freedom - November 2009 (40th Birthday Cruise) Holland America Eurodam - February 2009 Caribbean Princess - May 2008 Holland America Westerdam - December 2007 Holland America Westerdam - Halloween Cruise 2006

Old February 15th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

How horrid for this woman. Very sad to see this happen. My first thought would have been that it was a passenger altercation, but for it to be a crew, I'm at loss for words.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 15th, 2014, 09:29 AM
50,000+ Club

Feel very sad for the woman.

Hope she recovers from the incident.

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm glad to see that the criminal is being turned over to authorities and that the FBI is involved.

I also think that making this thread sticky is inappropriate. Why should this title be the first thing people see on the HAL board permanently?

Old February 16th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Rumor floating around the ship, another incident happened last night.

No where does it say that the lady was nude at the time of the incident. Most of us that travel on these cruises are nude just during the day time around the deck, and clothed during the evening.

Old February 16th, 2014, 08:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Perhaps some CC folks need to take a deep breath. What we find commendable is that HAL apparently took the appropriate action an notified the shore-side authorities. This is not always the case on cruise lines. As to what actually happened, that would be pure speculation on our part (or anyone else here on CC). One reason to notify the proper authorities is that they can conduct a full investigation and deal with the situation.

Hank

Old February 16th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

ahem, this alleged perpetrator looks more guilty than you want believe, because the Captain put it writing about this "incident" in an apologetic memo to all the Cabins during the cruise and how distressed that he and the rest of the crew are about the incident and that this crew member will be kept in isolation until Florida !

We were surprised to get the memo and assumed that he cleared it Holland America Corporate before he sent the memo which would be plaintiff attorney's delight !!

The memo also asked passengers to contact his office in case of their distress too.

Old February 16th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Regardless of how big a font you use, this alleged incident that you keep referring to was judged by the Captain of the Vessel.

How many times have you received a letter of regret from the Captain about a violent incident attributed to a crew-member in every Cabin ?

I was happy HAL was upfront about it. There were a lot of rumors about it on the ship and I don't want to repeat it. I find it weird that so many of you are so defensive about HAL, even though the cruise line has acted appropriately !

Old February 17th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've been a guest entertainer on a number of ships and we are considered crew for technical reasons. It could have been the likes of me in that room but not service crew. They know better.

Old February 17th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Astro View Post
I've been a guest entertainer on a number of ships and we are considered crew for technical reasons. It could have been the likes of me in that room but not service crew. They know better.

Mr Astro,

I'm thinking your on this.

We don't who by what... and when.

Remember.... when have you ever had a cabin steward enter a cabin? Mostly a waiter with bringing a breakfast tray? In and out in one second. Not likely to create a problem. Cleaning the cabin? Door is always open and the stewards working in pairs. Again not likely.

I don't have any information of anything... it could be anyone. Remember, innocent until found gulity.

Old February 17th, 2014, 11:04 AM
5,000+ Club

The article itself is very vague.

All it says was that a female passenger was assaulted by a crew member in her cabin.

Doesn't say if it was a sexual assault or not, who exactly was the crew member (steward ,waiter, maintenence man , etc) or why he was in the passengers cabin in the first place.

I am not placing blame on anyone. I don't pretend to know exactly what happened . But after being a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 30 years , I know the actual story can be way more complex than what is first reported.
RCCL Explorer of the Seas-2007
Carnival Miracle-2008
RCCL Liberty of the Seas-10/09

Old February 17th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It would appear to me that HAL could have easily kept this close to the vest and not made any sort of press release to anyone. Since the investigation is ongoing one has to wonder why did HAL release their statement? Again, I think this is pertinent information for all cruisers to have access to, I just hope that the cruising public is told the follow up and determination of facts in this case.

Old February 17th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the cruise. We learnt about this incident when we DID receive a letter of regret from HAL Captain about an incident on Jan 13th night and that the crew member has been apprehended. The letter stated HAL and the Crew are saddened and to contact him/office for further reassurance.

I am going by the Captain's letter it is the Ship's crew; but somehow all you HAL apologists are coming out of the woodwork and claiming the Charter group could have brought their "own" entertainment crew, etc. Btw, we had the same "entertainment" as in other HAL cruises.

I commend the HAL's ship staff, for taking this issue seriously and for cordoning and moving passengers out of 14 Cabins elsewhere on the Ship.

Old February 19th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

When I saw the headline, I was upset.

When I saw that it was on the Nieuw Amsterdam (which I was on three months ago) I was astounded.

When I saw the picture and realized it was our assigned waiter who was nothing but respectful, kind, and a great person to me and my family, I was creeped out beyond belief.

Very scary. I know that this sort of thing could happen to anyone, anywhere, but the fact that it happens on a cruise ship which is out in the middle of the ocean and with so many people having access to your cabin... and knowing that someone who you saw every day could have snapped and done this to us if we happened to say the wrong thing... wow. I don't know what to say right now.

Old February 19th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Cruise Critic Host & Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Here's a link to the the Cruise Critic article about this matter...

To contact me, hostwalt@cruisecritic.com

Last edited by Host Walt; February 19th, 2014 at 06:09 PM.

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Had nothing to do with being a 'nude cruise' as many ignorant comments have stated. Had to do with her 'disrespecting his parents'.

And here I thought crazy stupid stuff like this happened with kids or gangsters trying to keep their rep. smh

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...094,full.story
- Valor - October 2012

Carnival - Dream - May 2011
Carnival - Legend - October 2008
Carnival - Valor - October 2005
Princess - Caribbean Princess - May 2005
Carnival - Triumph - October 2004
Carnival - Triumph - October 2003
Carnival - Paradise - October 2002
Carnival - Imagination - March 2001

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:35 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Using the simple deadbolt available on all HAL staterooms would have prevented this.
Negative. Perhaps you did not read the whole story. He snuck into the room when she was not there and waited for her. The dead bolt plays no factor in this case.