Hello from Celebrity Century!

shrimp56

It's a beautiful day out here. It's being an interesting experience finding my way around a different cruise line. On the whole I'd say Century, while bigger, is best compared with our R and S ships. Just a few preliminary notes:

The pillow chocolate is better, delicious even.

Hemisphere Lounge (Their Crowbar) has wonderful big windows and comfortable seating. I watched "sailaway" from there until it was our turn. Then I retreated to Sunset Bar to be with my companions.

Two general comments.

Century's "transition spaces" on the public decks are more generous and interestingly configured.

BUT the ship's decor is generic. I miss the sense of nationality and "place" that HAL ships give me.

Food so far. Islands Cafe seemed more varied and fresher than HAL. They have trays, which will take some time to get used to LOL The MDR food is good to very good, but somewhat uneven. It feels dark and closed in and has no decoration. (Although Zuidy's bread photos were a "miss" in that category). It was the worst first night disorganization I've seen on a ship. My sense is that there were a lot of new staff.

The canvas awnings over Sunset bar and other aft outside spaces are not only practical, but attractive.

OK that's it for now. So far I'm happy, but I'm not "home."

I'm looking forward to hearing more, thanks for reporting in. :)

We have sailed once with Celebrity (Silhouette) and it was excellent! It did seem like I was constantly "comparing" everything to HAL, but I have to say that our cruise on the Silhouette stood up very nicely to anything we've had on HAL. In some cases it was better, such as quick responses in service.

We have a 10-day booked on the Infinity this year.

Have a great cruise and please let us know more. :)

Thanks for your kind comments. And thanks for waving:)

All goes well, except my cabin has two water temperatures, lukewarm and warm. Showers are quick. On the plus side the toilet is frisky.

Dinner service was much better last night. Food seems to be variable, from passable to good to very good with most falling in the good category. A lot of our servers are Serbian so I've been chatting with them in Macedonian, which I speak. Good fun for me and I think them. They now greet me in the Buffet in Serbian also.

There are plenty of activities on sea days with a variety from educational to silly. The best silly was the officer/passenger water volleyball game. Cruise Director jumped in the water wearing a suit! Pictures later.

The Martini Bar had a two for one special so I don't remember a lot after that LOL Everyone is friendly, but I'm not really "home."

Thanks for your kind comments. And thanks for waving:)

All goes well, except my cabin has two water temperatures, lukewarm and warm. Showers are quick. On the plus side the toilet is frisky.

Dinner service was much better last night. Food seems to be variable, from passable to good to very good with most falling in the good category. A lot of our servers are Serbian so I've been chatting with them in Macedonian, which I speak. Good fun for me and I think them. They now greet me in the Buffet in Serbian also.

There are plenty of activities on sea days with a variety from educational to silly. The best silly was the officer/passenger water volleyball game. Cruise Director jumped in the water wearing a suit! Pictures later.

The Martini Bar had a two for one special so I don't remember a lot after that LOL Everyone is friendly, but I'm not really "home."

But you don't really want to be "home" do you? New experiences, new places - isn't that why we like to travel? Variety is the spice of life, remember. :cool:

Sounds like you're having a good time, though. Enjoy:)

Don't get me wrong. Century is a lovely ship. It just doesn't have much of a personality. We got our table moved last night so we're in the 2 story center area, If anyone falls down the grand staircase they'll end up in our lap. And it's still plain.

My fave place is Sunset Bar. I love the canvas "sail" overhead and it's mesmerizing looking over the stern. I could and have sat their for hours. I also like the windows up front in Hemisphere lounge. I went up to read and fell asleep in the sun.

I know it's not helpful to rate the ship itself as it's sold as of April 2015. The crew is very friendly. They call you what you tell them to call you, in my case Sally. Cabin steward is Zaidy pronounced "Salty". I think I'm a relief from the usual crabs.

We're coming into St Croix now. Signing off for now.

Thanks for your updates. We're really enjoying reading them. I've never had the chance to sail on the Century, so any pics or comments you give us will help satisfy my curiosity. I know what you mean about not feeling "at home". We feel at home on Celebrity, although we sail other ships / lines each year for the different itineraries. While we enjoy all of our trips, there's always one cruise line that has a special place in your heart. Keep the updates coming, while we're all bored here at home!

Michael

I sailed the Century in 10/01. I wasn't that impressed with the ship. Maybe they have made some nice changes since. The crew was okay but not near as helpful as the crew on HAL ships. Maybe it's because much of the HAL clientele is a bit older than the Century Passengers and HAL crew members are always going out of their way to be helpful.

I took my sister on the Century cruise. She was 3 times my weight and in a wheel chair. Not once did any crew member offer to help me take her out of the show room. It had a ramp that was up hill leaving the lounge. I had to make a running start to make it to the top. The crew members just stood around and watched. Not one time ever, did anyone offer to help. On HAL, even the passengers offer to help other passengers.

I swore then I would never sail another Celebrity or RCI ship.

Diane

I'm sorry for your experience legalslave. Right now I am seeing just the opposite. Helpful people everwhere. It's a pretty old crowd on Century this cruise at least.

Had a good day in St Croix. Philipsburg today and then I'll continue with more details. Right now breakfast calls.

I had a great day on St Martin, but it was also a tough day. It was great because I had engaged a wonderful guide that I had for a HAL shorex in December. She took us to the artist gallery of Antoine Chapon, that I had visited with her before. My friend and I both bought some beautiful art. Then we wandered around, visiting Grand Case, Marigot, drove by Sunset Beach Bar then took my companion back to P-burg to meet her husband for lunch at Blue Bitch Bar. Our guide and I went out to Simpson Bay for a delicious lunch at Skip Jack's. We both had a a lovely Asian spiced Ahi Tunaburger.

The tough part? Eurodam was in port. I whimpered a lot as we traversed the pier, pointing out my cabin to my friend. And when I walked back to the ship Eurodam was leaving. Some more whimpering ensued. Home was leaving without me :(

I will revive for San Juan tomorrow, where I will walk, shop eat and drink.

She is a nice ship. I have no complaints to speak of. Water still isn't hot, but it's no longer a cold shower LOL

Had a good morning in Old San Juan. Did some gift shopping. Had my Pina Colada and lunch at Barrachina's and said hello to Big Jose again.

Small details. They do have cold towels, ice water and fruit punch for us at the dock at every port so far. The provided toiletries are Aqua Spa's and in small bottles rather than dispensers. On this ship at least the bathroom door doesn't open against the wall where you can fasten it. That may be this class of ships. Food is even with Zuiderdam. Some things are really gourmet, others standard. The vegetarian main courses are quite good.