Luxembourg ... worth seeing?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:39 PM.
Australia
151 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
We are doing our first river cruise in May with Avalon and have the option of doing a day trip to Luxembourg, if anyone has been is it worth going?

Must thank everyone on CC the threads that I have combed through has given me a wealth of information
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Salem, SC
6 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
I was stationed in Germany about one and a half hours from Luxembourg. We enjoyed the city and visited it several times on our own. I would think a trip sponsored by Avalon would be worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
D.C.
72 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
We visited Luxembourg while on a Viking cruise in October. The first half of the tour was the American cemetery which was really nice to see. Of course the worst 1 hour of weather in our 2 week trip was while we were there,but I didn't mind. When we got to the city, we skipped the guided walk to get some lunch on our own. It had turned into a great sunny day so we took a short walk and just enjoyed sitting in the square.
FL
14,167 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
We flew into Luxembourg two years ago prior to our AMA cruise and spent the night - quite enjoyed the city.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
142 cruises since 1964, 14 on the river.
Looking forward to:
Joie de Vivre, Paris and Normany - April 2017
Le Lyral, The Adriatic, September 2017
Amadeus Silver II - Magic of Advent, December 2017
Oceania Marina, South Pacific, March 2018AmaKristina, Christmas Markets, December 2018

Our river cruising history:
Avalon Luminary B2B- Christmas Markets, 2009
Avalon Affinity - Christmas Markets 2010
Avalon Panorama - Danube New Years Cruise, 2011
AmaDante -Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle 2012
AmaCerto - Budapest to Nuremburg, 2013
AmaBella - Tulip Time, 2014
AmaDagio - Provence, 2014
AmaReina - Holiday on the Rhine 2014
SS Catherine - Provence 2015
AmaSerena Christmas on the Rhine, 2015
Scenic Diamond, Bordeaux, April 2016
AmaVida, Douro, August. 2016
AmaSonata, Romantic Danube - Oct. 2016

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
11,218 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Bill'sBride
We visited Luxembourg while on a Viking cruise in October. The first half of the tour was the American cemetery which was really nice to see. Of course the worst 1 hour of weather in our 2 week trip was while we were there,but I didn't mind. When we got to the city, we skipped the guided walk to get some lunch on our own. It had turned into a great sunny day so we took a short walk and just enjoyed sitting in the square.
General George Patton is buried in that Lux cemetery.

We lived in Germany for four years and have been to Luxembourg twice. It is worth the trip. Luxembourg city still has some of the medieval walls and towers. Also, Viaden is another city on the border with Germany. Trier is an old Roman city in Germany, in the same area that should be visited.
Australia
151 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Thank you all so much for your responses. I think we will go as it sounds lovely and as my husband is ex army he would enjoy it.

Ellen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Australia
151 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
We lived in Germany for four years and have been to Luxembourg twice. It is worth the trip. Luxembourg city still has some of the medieval walls and towers. Also, Viaden is another city on the border with Germany. Trier is an old Roman city in Germany, in the same area that should be visited.[/quote]

Trier is a stop on our river cruise so I am glad you have mentioned it as well.

Ellen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Australia
151 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by melody hounddog
Wonderful food in Luxemburg! Really enjoyed the city.
Being a real foodie I have to go now!!! Thanks for that
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S.E. MA
927 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
I really, really enjoyed the farmers' market there too. Shortly after we were in Luxembourg on our Uniworld cruise, I happened to read Chris Pavone's novel, The Expats...which takes place in Luxembourg...really a great read.