taking alcohol aboard

colmil

From the many postings I have read, forget it; they will take wine, champagne, beer, hard booz. They will give it back the last night of the cruise. They are real strict and only a very few have made it on board without them taking it!

Wine is ok - you may be asked to pay a 10-15 dollar corkage fee. Check out NCL's wine list the prices onboard are not terrible. You can have a bottle of bubblely in your cabin when you arrive.

http://www.ncl.com/more/wine_list.htm

It seems on some ships this is the rule, on others, they will take your champagne or wine, etc. (at least this has been what has been said on the boards).

I am willing to pay the corkage fees, although I would be drinking in my room, but am afraid to bring my favorite bottle since I do not want them to confiscate it or embarrass me since NCL policy is no liquour whatsoever.

It seems on some ships this is the rule, on others, they will take your champagne or wine, etc. (at least this has been what has been said on the boards).

I am willing to pay the corkage fees, although I would be drinking in my room, but am afraid to bring my favorite bottle since I do not want them to confiscate it or embarrass me since NCL policy is no liquour whatsoever.

I repeat - wine is Ok at port of embarkation- policy changed last november - many posts from those including myself that had no issue. No sense bringing anything but a special wine with the corkage fee and the resonable prices onboard.

We just got back from a family cruise on the Sea. I checked a bottle of wine at security; I had been planning on checking it and the woman who we spoke to at the desk told me to do it "after security". However, when my carry on went through the xray machine, they assumed I was trying to sneak it on. Eventually I was given a receipt with "$15 cork" written on it, but my bill did not reflect any charge. It did take some effort, the initial NCL employee at security didn't seem to be aware of the corkage policy stated on the NCL website. Another NCL rep came over and immediately resolved things. I requested it on formal night, and received it at the table within minutes.

My brother packed a 1.75lt bottle of vodka in his luggage......and received a formal letter from NCL stating that they had opened his bag, removed the bottle, and that he could retrieve it the day of disembarkation. The letter also included their alcohol policies in detail.

I've had friends recommend taking clear alcohol in water bottles, they say they've never been questioned.

It appears that NCL's policy on alchohol is quite clear...wine but nothing else.

Why are we even discussing ways to sneak alcohol on board. Are rules something that we can just throw away because we don't agree with them?

(and remember, NCL does read these boards and all of these "great" ideas are now in their hands thanks to camperdiva!)

Why worry about sneaking booze on board when you can order a bar set-up for your cabin. You only need to call NCL a few weeks prior to your trip. Yes it will cost a bit more than if you brought your own liquor but still less than the bars and no hassle. Wouldn't that just make everything simpler.

JK

Is it in writing anywhere on the ncl website about wine being okay to bring

onboard now? If we brought wine in a box for our cabin it might be the $15

corkage fee? Is it best to check it in our luggage or carry it on?

How does the bar set up for the cabin work? I could not find it on the ncl website. Thank you!

Is it in writing anywhere on the ncl website about wine being okay to bring

onboard now? If we brought wine in a box for our cabin it might be the $15

corkage fee? Is it best to check it in our luggage or carry it on?

How does the bar set up for the cabin work? I could not find it on the ncl website. Thank you!

A box of wine may not be a great value when you add the $15. Check out the NCL wine list they have some reasonable values especially when to take the $15 into account. IF you bring it put it in your carry om or you ags may be held for you to open onboard in a conference room.

http://www.ncl.com/more/wine_list.htm

Bar set up is for Booze. You can order any wine on the list onboard for your cabin. The bar setup offers liters for $40 or $52 depending on brand. Here is the phone number. Must be ordered and paid for at least two weeks in advance. Not on the website.

Bar service 1-866-625-1159

Would be willing to try the bar setup. Here's my problem. We like to drink Margheritas on the balcony. My understanding is that we cannot order Margherita mix along with the tequila. So if we bring a bottle of Margherita mix on board ourselves, wouldn't it look like alcohol on the x-ray, causing our bags to be delayed, making us go to wherever to claim it? One of the reasons to buying the bar setup would be to avoid this hassle.

Would be willing to try the bar setup. Here's my problem. We like to drink Margheritas on the balcony. My understanding is that we cannot order Margherita mix along with the tequila. So if we bring a bottle of Margherita mix on board ourselves, wouldn't it look like alcohol on the x-ray, causing our bags to be delayed, making us go to wherever to claim it? One of the reasons to buying the bar setup would be to avoid this hassle.

Carry it with you with your hand carried luggage. It won't hold you up long on embarkation.

Mafig, I am a margarita aficionado (sp?) myself :) and you might want to consider just ordering margaritas from room service--I can attest to the wonderfulness of the frozen margies on the Dawn. YUM. A lot less hassel and, I repeat, yum! Of course, perhaps you prefer the non-frozen ones ... I never had one of those so can't attest to their wonderfulness.

In any case, enjoy!

:D

I will say that they checked my water bottles. They shook them. I don't know if alcohol shakes differently or not. I guess it does. We did not bring any alcohol with us. My friends had two bottles of wine free waiting for them in their cabin and we had free liquor to choose from too with our room category. We couldn't drink it all. We left the champagne, as we don't drink it. Nancy

It appears that NCL's policy on alchohol is quite clear...wine but nothing else.

Why are we even discussing ways to sneak alcohol on board. Are rules something that we can just throw away because we don't agree with them?

(and remember, NCL does read these boards and all of these "great" ideas are now in their hands thanks to camperdiva!)

Oh calm down....these "great" ideas have been discussed for years...NCL won't be seeing anything new on this thread that they've not already seen before. And yes, some rules can be thrown away as long as you are willing to pay the consequences......for me, the consequence of having to go get my suitcase out of a holding area is no big deal. My name is dosi and I am an admitted alcohol smuggler.....being caught wouldn't bother me because I don't think this issue is any big deal.

I think they should look the other way! After all I brought 2 bottles of wine or champagne on every cruise I have gone on and bought rum at the ports in the Caribbean and Kahlua in Mexico and have cruised with 3 other cruise lines and never had a problem. And BTW, I had a bar bill too since I loved drinking those frozen drinks during the day as well and I would order a glass of wine or two at dinner, so the cruise lines made money on my bar bill as well. Many will disagree with me, but I think they should not be going through luggage and calling one down to the basement to admit you smuggled in alcohol; seems petty to me!

Please do not slam me!

However, that being said I will not bring any liquour on board, since meeting with the liquor inspectors will ruin my day!

Again no slamming please; I am entitled to my opinion!

I will say that they checked my water bottles. They shook them. I don't know if alcohol shakes differently or not. I guess it does. We did not bring any alcohol with us. My friends had two bottles of wine free waiting for them in their cabin and we had free liquor to choose from too with our room category. We couldn't drink it all. We left the champagne, as we don't drink it. Nancy

Nancy,

Curious, what type room did you have? We just upgraded to a penthouse and I really have no idea what it includes, haven't got around to asking!

Please do not forget NCL's policy of buy 6 pay for 5. As we arrived, we had prepared our choices off their wine list and ordered the bottles from room service ( actually via our butler ). Chilled whites in the fridge in the morning for our afternoon Scrabble game ! Keeping track of resto ordered wine / champers allowed us to have our last night's bottle " free ".

Terrt

Are bags checked as you get back on the ship from ports of call, as I do not remember them checking these bags, but I have not been on a cruise since 9/11. I was just wondering about buying a bottle of wine or what ever in port and getting it back on the ship.

Thanks in Advance.

Am I the only one who feels humiliated about those procedures after I paid NCL several thousands $$$ for my cruise?

What do you feel humilated about????

Most of us do pay several thousands of $$$ for our cruise.

We know the rules...we move on to another line, if we don't like NCL rules...

The rules are stated up-front. No surprises here.

Look before you book!

If liquor is your priority...I suggest that you look for an "all inclusive" - liquor policy cruise:)

Happy sailing!

Am I the only one who feels humiliated about those procedures after I paid NCL several thousands $$$ for my cruise?
I wouldn't be humiliated. If anything I'd be embarrassed to smuggle booze. As Donna said...don't slam me...that's just my opinion. I never smuggle booze. And if I did get caught, I'd feel ashamed because they know I know the rules and I tried to break them. Why look silly on the first day by getting caught with vodka in a water bottle? Besides, when I paid my ticket in full, I agreed to their rules...like it or not. But if any of you get away with smuggling...more power to you. My mom smuggles and if that's what she wants to do...good for her. But I personally don't do it.

Archived