Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Hurtigruten > Q&A with Kathryn Beadle, Managing Director @ Hurtigruten

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Q&A with Kathryn Beadle, Managing Director @ Hurtigruten

Kathryn Beadle, Managing Director @ Hurtigruten was here Thursday, March 6. Read answers to YOUR questions!

Learn all about Hurtigruten Cruises.

Discussion may commence!

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Availability of Tap water at dinner

Can you explain why Hurtigruten have now stopped serving free tap water to guests at meals taken in the restaurant. Mineral water now has to be purchased unless you have bought a wine deal, when it is then given free.

Is the quality of the water on board so poor? Is it safe to use tap water to clean your teeth?

Is this move to charging for drinking water on board publicised in the brochures so that guests know what they need to budget for during their voyage?

How does this move square with the eco policy when it will produce thousands of empty plastic bottles during a season of carrying full quotas of travellers.

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

I can confirm that a decision has been made to charge for all drinks served in the main restaurant on-board, unless a drinks package has been purchased.

We are in the process of advising customers, so they are aware of the policy and continue to offer free tap water in the bars, café and elsewhere on board.

The water in the cabins is very safe and can be used as drinking water.

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynbeadle View Post
I can confirm that a decision has been made to charge for all drinks served in the main restaurant on-board, unless a drinks package has been purchased.

We are in the process of advising customers, so they are aware of the policy and continue to offer free tap water in the bars, café and elsewhere on board.

The water in the cabins is very safe and can be used as drinking water.
Thanks for clarifying position. Is the water now served and charged for in restaurant "mineral water" as stated in original question or same as in cabins and served free elsewhere on ships?

What is this new charge please - it was certainly not part of "package" when I booked nor has been on previous voyages with yourselves.

I think very dimly of restaurants that charge fo a glass of tap water and think many of your customers (effectively "a captive audience" if booked full board) will think likewise.

A bit ironic that passengers booked half board with you won't have to pay for water at lunchtime (assuming they eat in cafeteria) but full board customers, who are paying Hurtigruten more for the privilege, will.

I'd appreciate your comments on this.

Many thanks

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi there

The water served in the restaurants is bottled still or sparkling mineral water and is priced competitively compared to other commercial establishments in Norway.

That is in addition to tap water, which is available free of charge in the bars and cafe.

Old March 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by richws View Post
I think very dimly of restaurants that charge fo a glass of tap water and think many of your customers (effectively "a captive audience" if booked full board) will think likewise.
Same here.
I have done 7 trips with Hurtigruten (4 in Norway and 3 with MS Fram in Spitzbergen and Antarctica), and I have another one booked for Norway next september.
I find it really petty to charge for water in the restaurant and I don't really understand the reason. It is proving to be a very unpopular decision particularly among your faithful customers and I wonder if the money you hope to get is worth the bad image it is bringing? It is a disappointing decision, honestly.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am thinking of taking a voyage later this year and am also disappointed in this new policy. The cost of the voyage is already substantial and I feel charging for tap water in the restaurant is a rip off.

Is there anything stopping us from taking our "free" glass of water from the bar into the restaurant to drink with our meal?

Old March 13th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifa View Post
I am thinking of taking a voyage later this year and am also disappointed in this new policy. The cost of the voyage is already substantial and I feel charging for tap water in the restaurant is a rip off.

Is there anything stopping us from taking our "free" glass of water from the bar into the restaurant to drink with our meal?
We took water from the Bistro area of Fram into the dining room each meal. A nuisance, but we will not pay for tap water. This has to be the worst decision ever by Hurtigruten and is not supported by crew on board.

Fram is already expensive (alcohol at Norwegian prices yet, the last time I checked, Antarctica is outside Norwegian territorial waters and Svalbard is a 'duty free' area), charging for tap water is taking the proverbial and is WRONG!

Old March 13th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaLo View Post
Same here.
I have done 7 trips with Hurtigruten (4 in Norway and 3 with MS Fram in Spitzbergen and Antarctica), and I have another one booked for Norway next september.
I find it really petty to charge for water in the restaurant and I don't really understand the reason. It is proving to be a very unpopular decision particularly among your faithful customers and I wonder if the money you hope to get is worth the bad image it is bringing? It is a disappointing decision, honestly.
It's fairly clear that Hurtigruten have been 'boarded by pirates' in the guise of accountants over the past couple of years. The offering, particularly on Fram, is being pared to the bone while prices are being raised. Charging for tap water is a step too far. Someone at Hurtigruten, other than the accountants, needs to get a grip.

Old March 13th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynbeadle View Post
Hi there

The water served in the restaurants is bottled still or sparkling mineral water and is priced competitively compared to other commercial establishments in Norway.

That is in addition to tap water, which is available free of charge in the bars and cafe.
A pity I couldn't log on on 6 March.

On Fram, the water in the dining room is served in carafes, not bottles. The water which was previously supplied free as 'tap water' from metal jugs came from the same source...

And, just to add insult to injury, any carafes that have been purchased, but which are not empty, are not allowed to be taken out of the dining room!

Old March 18th, 2014, 07:02 AM
5,000+ Club

Have just found this series of Q & As with Kathryn Beadle. I have to agree with others about paying for water at meals. I realize one could go to the bar, get a glass of water and take it to the restaurant, but that would be inconvenient and just plain silly.

Tap water should be available at dinner at no cost. Period.

December 2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, March 2013, Hurtigruten Polarlys Norwegian Coastal Voyage; November 2012, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - Repositioning from NJ to San Juan;
May 2011, Carnival Fantasy – Bahamas; January 2011, Celebrity Eclipse – Eastern Caribbean; August 2008, RCCL Radiance of the Seas – Alaska; April 2008, Louis Cruise Lines’ Cristal – Eastern Mediterranean;
January 2008 – HAL’s Westerdam – Southern Caribbean; October 2007, Celebrity Galaxy – Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea; November 2006, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas – Transatlantic;
August 2006, Norwegian Dawn – Bermuda and Bahamas; November 2005, Norwegian Majesty – Western Caribbean;
February 1998, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Fantome (RIP) – Eastern Caribbean Solar Eclipse Cruise;
January 1995, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Flying Cloud – British Virgin Islands

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Old March 18th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveScotland View Post
I realize one could go to the bar, get a glass of water and take it to the restaurant, but that would be inconvenient and just plain silly.
Inconvenient? Yes.

Plain silly? No. Make your displeasure quietly, but clearly, known: crew are reporting back to Hurtigruten on the responses to the new policy.

If the financial return is minimal after few additional passengers buy water, and the effect on goodwill is significant, then the charge may well be dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveScotland View Post
Tap water should be available at dinner at no cost. Period.
Couldn't agree with you more!

Last edited by digitl; March 18th, 2014 at 07:24 AM.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am currently on board ms Nordlys and have twice in the dining room for tap water and been told that they do not have any!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ask them what they use in the kitchen/galley! Do they use tap water? Hopefully not grey or black water!

Last edited by digitl; April 2nd, 2014 at 12:45 PM.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

We filled our empty water bottle from the bathroom tap and took it into the dining room with us for dinner in the evening when we did our trip last month.
Nobody said anything to us.
As far as we could tell none of the plastic bottles were recycled as they had to go in the bins with the general rubbish. There were bins for recycling glass, paper and metal on all floors of the ship.
Celebrity Eclipse Canaries and Azores Oct 2013

Celebrity Eclipse Iceland and Norway July 2012
P & O Ventura Canaries April 2012
Celebrity Eclipse Western Med and Adriatic Sept 2011
P & O Oriana Central Med April 2011
Celebrity Eclipse Western Med September 2010
Celebrity Summit Eastern Med Nov 2009
Celebrity Constellation Baltic May 2009

Old April 10th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default water, water everywhere but not in the dining room to drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThursoBound View Post
I am currently on board ms Nordlys and have twice in the dining room for tap water and been told that they do not have any!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
We had the same issue, and refilled a bottle from our bathroom tap. which was fine. The one bottle of sparkling water we had on board tasted like alka selzter anyway!

Farmerswife

Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Can you take your own water bottle into the Dining Room for dinner

Can you take your own water bottle into the Dining Room for dinner,
and is tap water available at Lunch time in the dining room please?
Also is tea or coffee served as part of the Breakfast or Lunch meals which would be considered quite normal for FULL BOARD.

When does FULL BOARD mean no tap water/tea/coffee??? or am I not reading this properly.
Hope for some clarity please

Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

As far as I understand, tap water is now NOT available for free at any meals in the dining room (yes, it's bad). I would also like to know if we can bring our own water bottle to the dining room.
Tea and coffee is indeed served for breakfast and after lunch as part of the meal (so for no additional charge).

Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by annski View Post
Can you take your own water bottle into the Dining Room for dinner, and is tap water available at Lunch time in the dining room please?
Tap water is not available at any time in the dining room. On Fram, it is available in the Bistro all day so a visit there to fill a glass before carrying it into the dining room was our solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annski View Post
Also is tea or coffee served as part of the Breakfast or Lunch meals which would be considered quite normal for FULL BOARD.
Yes, and on the coastal trips their availability pretty much negates the need to purchase the refillable mug option, unless you're addicted! On Fram, they're available all day in the Bistro.

Old July 7th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hmmm researching CC for our Antarctic cruise & found this thread .....looks like we can cross Hurtigruten off our list if they are so petty that they charge for tap water in the dining room what other 'penny pinching' strategies do they employ?

Thanks for the warning,
G&G

2007 Pacific Princess - Alaska
2008 Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
2009 Celebrity Millennium - Auckland to Honolulu
2009 Dawn Princess - Honolulu to Sydney
2009 Pacific Sun - Week Fantastique
2009 Diamond Princess - Bangkok to Sydney
2010 Sun Princess - New Zealand Grand Vistas
2011 Sun Princess - Cherry Blossoms Asia & Japan
2012 Celebrity Infinity - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso
2012 Celebrity infinity -Valparaiso to Ft Lauderdale
2013 Vision of the Seas - Norwegian Fjords
2013 Celebrity Silhouette - Meditteranean
2013 Celebrity Eclipse - Baltics
2014 ms Expedition 'Quest for the Antarctic Circle'
2015 Celebrity Millennium - Japan
2016 ms Expedition 'Realm of the Polar Bear'

Old July 7th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036123 is up-to-date: the decision was reversed a couple of months ago.

You might want to consider returning Hurtigruten to your list. We've had two amazing trips to Antarctica and another round Svalbard on Fram with an excellent crew each time. Suffice to say we're now booked for Greenland with them...