Alcohol in your cabin?

T_Bird

My fiance and I have just booked our honeymoon cruise on Princess. This will be our first cruise on Princess and we are very excited!

Typically, we do not spend a lot of time in our room while crusing. However, this being our "honeymoon", I hope to spend a bit more time alone in our room.

On RCI, they let us purchase a bottle of wine and liquor from thier duty free store on board and then let us take it to our room for a "corkage fee". Will Princess let us do this as well?

Princess has no problem with you bringing your own wine and champagne on board, and will even provide a corkscrew and glasses. You pay corkage only if you take a bottle to the dining room, and sometimes not even then since it is at your server's discretion. You can also order hard liquor and mixers from room service. Congratulations, and enjoy your cruise.

Despite rumours to the contrary we had no trouble last year taking wines and spirit onboard from the islands. The packages were openly carried, you know the brown paper bag types and x rayed. Not sure whether we were lucky but spirits are much cheaper on the islands!:rolleyes:

What we have seen in the past is that a bottle or two purchased while in port are usually not taken away and stored until the last night no matter what you bought. What is stored are those boxes which carry multiple bottles. So, while in port, but a bottle or two of whatever you like and just carry it back to the ship, chances are you can enjoy it immediately.

You take a chance with liquor - sometimes they take it, sometimes not - better to pack it in your checked luggage or buy a bottle from one of the bars - the prices are comparable to what you pay stateside.

Ron

Just order your liquor through the Princess web site. Prices are comparable to our local prices. They are two dollars more than if you wait to order on the ship, but include the gratuity. It will also be waiting for you in your cabin if you order it before leaving home. The only drawback is that there is a limited choice, but they do have some top shelf vodka and gin.

http://www.princess.com/onboard/sendagift/liquor.html

Here is a link to the page on the website.

Wow! Great suggestion. I had no idea they did that (and I searched the Princess website before asking my question here). Thanks for the link.

That is exactly what I was hoping we could do!

You can also order it from room service or pick up a bottle at one of the bars on the ship. We used to pre-order it but lately the first thing I do when I get on board is go to the lobby bar and buy a bottle for the room.

Scott

You can also order it from room service or pick up a bottle at one of the bars on the ship. We used to pre-order it but lately the first thing I do when I get on board is go to the lobby bar and buy a bottle for the room.

Scott

this is interesting - we can buy liquor by the bottle from the bars onboard?

sounds easier than trying to take it onboard, or worrying about whether room service shows up. I'd like to know more about it - are the prices about the usual? I see in their alcohol list, Crown Royal is $27 - I assume this is the 750 ml bottle.

tell me more!

That is correct. If it doesn't say liter behind it, it is 750 ml. That $27 is for ordering before sailing, it will be waiting for you in your cabin. That includes a $2 gratuity, that you would probably give to the room service waiter anyway.

Some have posted that the pricing online is for ordering before sailing. So is it more if you order through room service on board or purchase it at the bar?

I get the idea that Princess doesn't mind if you bring on your favorite one or two bottles of whatever. Ours is hard enough to find locally let alone expect it to be on the cruise. So I really hope to be able to bring ours with us in our carry on for the flight and then on board the cruise.

I think I understand it's best to pack the bottle within your luggage for boarding the ship? I suppose I'll have to figure out some way to get it into a ziplock baggy in case it gets rough handling. Aaahhh!

I read somewhere, maybe here, about getting a specific type of travel tote for wine. Does anyone have info on that? Ideally a link to a site that shows it. Our wine merchant didn't have what I tried to describe, but thought they had heard of it before. If I had a name, maybe they'd order it for me. But they are 30 minutes from here so it would be simpler to purchase it online.

We aren't big drinkers, but we do like what we like... :)

Hey, how are the frozen margaritas on board? Those I do like! lol!! :p

We have brought wine and champagne on board with us several times. In fact when we went to Mexico in October there was a large group bringing on obvious cases of wine. No problems. We have also brought aboard the soda that we like to drink ( diet dr. pepper and caffiene free diet coke)...again no problems.

Some have posted that the pricing online is for ordering before sailing. So is it more if you order through room service on board or purchase it at the bar?

It is actually $2.00 per bottle cheaper (without a tip) for ordering it once onboard compared to the pre-ordering at the Princess website.

It seems like kind of a hassle to have to carry wine on board in addition to the other luggage one always takes on a cruise which for us is usually about 3 suitcases and a duffel and a carryon for the plane. Is there some place to purchase wine once on board for in cabin consumption or package deals like RCCl or HAL have? The web site seems to have kind of a limited selection...

Thanks for any advice on this...

Kathy

Archived