Can you join us? Special river-themed Cruise Critic Live!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:06 PM.
#1
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005

Join Cruise Critic Live! on a special date – Wednesday, March 19 – at 4 p.m. Eastern (which translates to 7 p.m. in the UK, very very early Thursday in Sydney, and noon on America’s West Coast) as we chat with Viking River Cruises’ Joost Ouendag.



The topic? Choosing the perfect river cruise.

As Viking’s vice president of product marketing, the Netherlands-born Joost (pronounced Yost) is responsible for planning new itineraries and creating ever more innovative shore outings for existing trips. He’s a great resource for all river cruising questions: The overall experience, ports of call or information about shipboard features and amenities while traveling in Europe, Russia and Asia.

I’ll be hosting the event (hope some of our community experts will swing by to share their insights, as well). Joost and I will be “chatting” from one of Viking River’s Longships while on the line’s maiden Bordeaux voyage.

Regardless of which river line you’ve cruised on (or are considering), do stop by and ask questions.

Can’t make the chat on Wednesday, March 19 at 4 p.m.? Please feel free to submit questions ahead of time and we’ll make sure to get your answers. The chat will be archived, and available, after it winds up.

The link (you can ask questions before, access via this link during the chat, and read the transcript after) is here: http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/C...t_river_cruise

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic
#2
Tucson AZ
1,926 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Those of us who get up at 5 AM and work till after 5 PM of course can't join. I've often wanted to join in such conversations...not just here but on other river cruise forums, but when you work to pay for your cruises it is not possible. I wonder why they are never on the weekends? (Oh, right....the folks doing the forums and talking are working during the week and are off on the weekends). Seems that you are missing out on folks who could perhaps contribute a lot of good info.
#3
Long Island, NY
6,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
I'm intrigued by the "new and innovative shore outings". What type of active excursions is Viking instituting?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Got2Cruise
Planning the cruise is half the fun.
#4
3,885 Posts
Joined May 2009
Gee has the River Board really turned into a Viking Board???? Seems like every conversation (99% anyway) is about Viking!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
#5
Rhine, Germany
2,068 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Hello nana541,

although I like the idea of a live chat, I understand your point and have a few doubts about the strategies of a certain company that seems to be - in your words - dominating the board. For me it is a bit like too many sweets - gives you a sugar boost at first and stomach ache later.

@Viking
My question is:

I know the two companies Viking River Cruises and Viking Flusskreuzfahrten were separate entities, now that the later has ceased to exist I would like to know if Viking River cruises allows customers in Germany to book a cruise through a German travel agent, as some of their itineraries vary a little from other cruise lines.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
#6
Whidbey Island, WA
693 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by nana541
Gee has the River Board really turned into a Viking Board???? Seems like every conversation (99% anyway) is about Viking!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
It seems that if Viking is the line/company scheduling a live chat that they are a line interested in what their customers have to say and want...maybe this is something that moves them to the top of conversations. There's a lot of rising competition in river cruising and I applaud a company working to keep a share of the market.

That said, I won't be able to take part in the chat and do hope the question of paying in full so far in advance is discussed. I am getting ready to book our first river cruise and Viking's payment policy is making me rethink their competition and that's a shame. The money sitting in our account vs Viking's account for a year is not a big deal regarding the amount of interest we would lose...the concern is the unknown a year away. With the way that Viking is growing I'm not comfortable pre-paying so far in advance with the thoughts that my $$ would be going toward the completion of their new ships and day to day operation. If they have/are over flooding the river cruise market I have no assurance that they have enough money to survive and take care of their customers who have paid so far in advance. I'm assuming these pre-payments do not go into an escrow account at Viking as assurance for their customers. ~~Judy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We Travel Not to Escape Life, But for Life Not to Escape Us
#8
3,885 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by stretchcruz
There was an Avalon chat a few weeks ago, again in the middle of the work day.

Sadly that one was not advertised until the last minute and then the link to it was bad..... As I am booked on an Avalon trip I was really disappointed about a missed opportunity


Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
#9
3,885 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by nana541
Sadly that one was not advertised until the last minute and then the link to it was bad..... As I am booked on an Avalon trip I was really disappointed about a missed opportunity

Need to amend that, it was not advertised on the River Board and when it finally was it was last minute with a non functioning link...
Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app




Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
#10
Mackay Australia
786 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
It's way too early a time down here for this Aussie but I'm not disappointed as I really have no interest at all in what Viking is selling. I agree with others that this board has turned into a "Viking Board" perhaps CC Admin could find a separate area for those of us not interested in Viking.
#12
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Hi, Ozjohnno. We do agree that the time is early for Aussies -- and it's possible that at some point this year we'll do live chats at a better time for you, so please stay tuned.

Perhaps, though, I should clarify our purpose for live, river-themed chats. It's not to help whichever executive from whatever line is participating to "sell" anything. It's meant to give our readers who are interested in river cruising another channel to get information, ask questions, share insights. When we invite a cruise line to participate -- and as noted Avalon's Patrick Clark was our first guest-host -- we specifically request that they stick to more general advice, rather than promoting their own line. Unless our readers have line-centered questions.

In this case, because Viking does a really good job with creating innovative shore outings, we asked Joost Ouendag to come on with us to talk destinations. That's the theme of the chat, so if you have questions about Budapest or Bordeaux, Burma or the Mekong -- whether you're interested in Viking or any other line -- we hope you'll come along and ask them. Or answer others, if you have input.

We are sorry for the late notice on Avalon -- and the bonkers link -- and this time we've given more notice, and have included a link that works! Progress.

We've also asked Avalon to come back for another go -- so those of you who were disappointed will be able to have another chance.

I'll re-post the link to that chat in another post.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Carolyn

Originally posted by Ozjohnno
It's way too early a time down here for this Aussie but I'm not disappointed as I really have no interest at all in what Viking is selling. I agree with others that this board has turned into a "Viking Board" perhaps CC Admin could find a separate area for those of us not interested in Viking.
#13
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Thanks, notamermaid, we'll keep you posted.

Carolyn

Originally posted by notamermaid
Hello nana541,

although I like the idea of a live chat, I understand your point and have a few doubts about the strategies of a certain company that seems to be - in your words - dominating the board. For me it is a bit like too many sweets - gives you a sugar boost at first and stomach ache later.

@Viking
My question is:

I know the two companies Viking River Cruises and Viking Flusskreuzfahrten were separate entities, now that the later has ceased to exist I would like to know if Viking River cruises allows customers in Germany to book a cruise through a German travel agent, as some of their itineraries vary a little from other cruise lines.

notamermaid
#15
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Got2Cruise, why don't you post that question on the chat?

Carolyn

Originally posted by Got2Cruise
I'm intrigued by the "new and innovative shore outings". What type of active excursions is Viking instituting?
#16
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Thanks, Stretchcruz, for making a good point about holding chats on the workday.

It's inspired us to ask, just on the river forum, for feedback on when our members come to Cruise Critic. Hope you'll all wander over and vote so we'll have a better idea of when our river cruise travelers are on Cruise Critic. That link is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2009755

Thanks.

Carolyn

Originally posted by stretchcruz
Those of us who get up at 5 AM and work till after 5 PM of course can't join. I've often wanted to join in such conversations...not just here but on other river cruise forums, but when you work to pay for your cruises it is not possible. I wonder why they are never on the weekends? (Oh, right....the folks doing the forums and talking are working during the week and are off on the weekends). Seems that you are missing out on folks who could perhaps contribute a lot of good info.
#17
Parkland, Florida
726 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by [email protected]
Join Cruise Critic Live! on a special date – Wednesday, March 19 – at 3 p.m. Eastern (which translates to 12 Noon on America’s West Coast, 8 p.m. in the UK, and very very early on Thursday in Sydney) – as we chat with Viking River Cruises’ Joost Ouendag.

The topic? Choosing the perfect river cruise.

As Viking’s vice president of product marketing, the Netherlands-born Joost (pronounced Yost) is responsible for planning new itineraries and creating ever more innovative shore outings for existing trips. He’s a great resource for all river cruising questions: The overall experience, ports of call or information about shipboard features and amenities while traveling in Europe, Russia and Asia.

I’ll be hosting the event (hope some of our community experts will swing by to share their insights, as well). Joost and I will be “chatting” from one of Viking River’s Longships while on the line’s maiden Bordeaux voyage.

Regardless of which river line you’ve cruised on (or are considering), do stop by and ask questions.

Can’t make the chat on Wednesday, March 19 at 3 p.m.? Please feel free to submit questions ahead of time and we’ll make sure to get your answers. The chat will be archived, and available, after it winds up.

The link (you can ask questions before, access via this link during the chat, and read the transcript after) is here: http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/C...t_river_cruise

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic
Your posting says 3 pm, but when I click on the provided link, it says 4pm.
Which is it?

Robin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. ~Susan Heller


Upcoming Cruises
2017 Viking Sky
Turquoise Caribbean Sea

2018 Celebrity Eclipse
Transatlantic Miami to Dublin


2017 Viking Sea Barcelona to Bergen
2016 Celebrity Silhouette British Isles Cruise
2014 Viking Guillveig Rhine Getaway Amsterdam to Basel River Cruise
2012 Celebrity Silhouette Adriatic/Italy Cruise
2009 Celebrity Solstice Mediterranean Cruise
1999 Seabourn Legend Mediterranean Cruise
Too many RCL Caribbean cruises to remember--we live in South Florida!
#18
Ewing, NJ
19,228 Posts
Joined Jan 2000
And, to add to what Carolyn said, we're pleased to be hosting the team from AmaWaterways during April, right here on the forums.

Stay tuned; we'll open up the special forum for questions on April 1, so everyone will have a chance to ask their question. Questions will be answered during the week of April 14th.



Laura
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Laura
Sr. Manager Community
[email protected]

When your values are clear, your decisions are easy -Roy Disney-
#19
New Jersey
3,605 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
The time was changed, this a.m.; now it's 4 p.m. Eastern. It should be updated all over the place by now

Thanks, Robin.

Carolyn

Originally posted by robinlynn
Your posting says 3 pm, but when I click on the provided link, it says 4pm.
Which is it?

Robin
#20
Louisiana
182 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
I'll be looking forward to this, as we are traveling with AmaWaterways this spring. Please keep us posted on the time of the forum.

Originally posted by LauraS
And, to add to what Carolyn said, we're pleased to be hosting the team from AmaWaterways during April, right here on the forums.

Stay tuned; we'll open up the special forum for questions on April 1, so everyone will have a chance to ask their question. Questions will be answered during the week of April 14th.



Laura